Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2019, 17:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

GM to revive Hummer brand with EV pickups, SUVs

According to a media report, General Motors is planning to launch electric pickups and SUVs. Some of these could be sold under the Hummer brand name and could be built at GM's Detroit-Hamtramck plant.

GM to revive Hummer brand with EV pickups, SUVs-hummer-h3.jpg

The electric pick-up and SUV program has been codenamed BT1 and is part of a US$ 3 billion investment in the Detroit-Hamtramck plant. The first product under this program is expected to be an electric pickup truck, scheduled to go into production in 2021. A performance variant of the pickup could be added in 2022. It is said that the brand name Hummer is under consideration for the pickup, which is codenamed Project O.

The family of electric pickups and SUVs is likely to be based on a dedicated electric vehicle architecture, which is expected to be flexible to accommodate body types in different sizes and offer front-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive and all-wheel drive. The company also plans to open a battery factory in Lordstown, Ohio.

The Hummer pickup will be followed by an electric Cadillac SUV and an electric GMC pickup truck.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News
ChiragM is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 18:15   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rumour: GM to revive Hummer brand with EV pickups, SUVs

Oh not again . I thought we were done with those unwieldy house on wheel contraptions for good!
aah78 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 10:03   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I think it's a sensible move . Brand Hummer still has incredible equity as well as instant recognition around the world. For all the hate that the Hummer H2 & H3 got from tree-huggers, it was no more polluting or gas guzzling than other big SUVs...or even an AMG / ///M. But re-introducing the brand on environment-friendly EVs is simply brilliant.

One thing for sure = design wise, these will be very soft. No way are they going all brute & imposing. Think the W140 S-Class vs how Mercedes mellowed it down with the W220.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 10:22   #4
BHPian

GM to spend more on EVs than petrol/diesel cars in next 5 years as per CEO Mary Barra. She also emphasized gas-powered vehicles will make up a large portion of U.S. sales into the 2030s.

The second seems to just make sure the sales of fuel vehicles won't decline suddenly.

Source:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-g...-idUSKBN1X81VR
sri_tesla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 10:50   #5
BHPian

If GM does come back to India, I honestly feel this is the brand they should launch first. An EV SUV with the imposing presence of Hummer should work wonders in India if GM get's the price right!

Last edited by dragracer567 : 30th October 2019 at 10:51. Reason: Added context
dragracer567 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 11:10   #6
BHPian

Won't cut it.

In my humble opinion, the EV (Electric Vehicle) tag will be at odds with the gas-guzzler image that the Hummer had.
Only vehicles that are deemed efficient in terms of design and functionality will work in the EV age - definitely not vehicles such as the Hummer.
nishsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 11:56   #7
BHPian

Don't know about market size for Hummer EV's in india but bigger the better in EV world. Just push a hummer size vehicle down a slope or brake to a standstill from higher speed and get most of your depleted juices back into the battery through regenerative braking.
srini1785 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 12:21   #8

I was just thinking the other day about how GM had to kill off Hummer just before the rise of crossovers and efficient SUVs. I wonder how well they would be doing if they were able to survive the cuts.
Old 30th October 2019, 12:46   #9
Team-BHP Support

Good move IMHO!

The brute image of the Hummer could just make the electric SUV sexy - just as Tesla made electric sedans sexy with their supercar beating performance. I somehow don't fancy the Tesla crossovers as much as I can relate to their sleek sedans.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 09:41   #10
BHPian

This will be an excellent shift, provided they invest proportionally in marketing and pr campaigning. Like how Tesla brought a revolution in energy efficient motoring, particularly in a segment infamous for fuel guzzling - sporty luxury, this move is sure to bring a better change in similar heavy macho SUVs
Old 31st October 2019, 11:51   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
... But re-introducing the brand on environment-friendly EVs is simply brilliant....
Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't the bulk of this vehicle (assuming the same/similar dimensions as H2) work against it in EV form, i.e. probably it'd require more batteries or offer much lesser range ??
Old 31st October 2019, 13:11   #12
BHPian

Hummer would be the perfect name for an electric vehicle because..

wait for it...

It just hums..

I just couldn't hold it back. Sorry guys.

Last edited by Tassem : 31st October 2019 at 13:12.
Tassem is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 14:19   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

If practically usable Hummers (even a fraction of the brutes the previous ones were) come out as EVs in reality, we are in fact looking at a future where intermediate distance bulk transport is also feasible with EVs earlier than thought...
Old 1st November 2019, 17:22   #14
BANNED

Moving a car the size and weight of Hummer is not a huge task for a potent electric motor. Actually I look at it as a very practical move.

Size is a huge issue with EVs, if you want a decent range - you need a bigger battery - that requires a higher space. With the Real-Estate the Hummer is, space can't be a constraint. They can easily fit a potent set of motors with a battery, huge enough, to power them all for a few hundred kilometers.

Where the issue is? Bigger battery == Bigger $$$
VKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 13:30   #15
BHPian

I feel this could be a step in the right direction for GM. Of late, GM hasn't been in the best form. Also the "Hummer'" brand certainly has a fan following , similar to that of Camaro and Corvette - which not many electric cars can boast of these days(if at all).So the Hummer EV with an electric drive train and the SUV credentials will make it an interesting vehicle.

Though even I doubt it'll as as hardcore and brute looking as the original!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks