Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2022, 21:25   #46
BHPian

Re: Setting up an Electric Vehicle charging point at home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev_GT View Post
Dear Qaqa,

This is literally a million dollar question and is regularly addresses in industrial setup. There is a standard on how to address this (IEC-60079)...
First of all thank you for such a thought through and informative reply. Much appreciated. I hope the technicians from the installers are atleast half as knowledgeable as you !

Bottom line, I understand there is a risk of fire. Let me try the most practical solution of trying to swap parking slots or a similar accomodation.

Your post did get me thinking on fire safety in our building. The electrical panel for the building isn't too far away from the LPG Bank. Since both are in the basement, ventilation is suspect. I will bring this up in the Association meeting. Thank you once again for addressing an important matter.
Old 13th May 2022, 03:03   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikthum View Post
Proposed setup
Considering the cable is suspended from the cable racks running above and that we cannot mount the charger on a wall or any of the pillars, we are considering installing a floor mounted setup - and for this we plan to have a custom made iron stand screwed to the floor as described below
How much did this cost, please?

Last edited by Axe77 : 13th May 2022 at 11:10. Reason: Trimming quoted text and minor edit to the post.
Old 14th May 2022, 21:56   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
How much did this cost, please?
It cost me around 1600 including painting. Also, including pictures of the setup. The base is a heavy sheet (like the one used for manhole covers), so it stays pretty stable.

Setting up an Electric Vehicle charging point at home-charging-point.jpeg

Setting up an Electric Vehicle charging point at home-charging-point-2.jpeg
kartikthum is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 16:54   #49
BHPian

Hi everyone,
I live in an old house which was not built with car parking in mind. So we have to park our cars outside our compound on the street. I want to switch to electric, but one of the things stopping me from doing this is the charging situation.
I can install a charging point hardly 5 feet from my parking spot (either side of the compound), however, I'm worried about the charging cable being stolen when i charge overnight. Im sure there must be at-least a few people on the same boat here. Is there a solution to this problem?

Thanks.
Old 9th August 2022, 20:23   #50
BHPian

I am looking for lockable DB /enclosure for the electrical sockets for installing in apartment basement, to prevent unauthorised use of the socket connected to my electrical meter.

Any links for an enclosure similar to the Tata Ziptron DB provided by Legrand?
Old 10th August 2022, 02:02   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinsid View Post
I am looking for lockable DB /enclosure for the electrical sockets for installing in apartment basement, to prevent unauthorised use of the socket connected to my electrical meter.
There you go : Option1 and Option 2

Option 1:
Name:  613TXeKqcWS._SX522_.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  45.5 KB

Option 2:
Name:  61bBG9p9vTL._SX522_.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  17.9 KB
carthick1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 21:26   #52
BHPian

As per an article in Mid-Day/Times-Of-India, "Maharashtra has mandated that EV charging stations be put in open areas to minimise risk of fire spread; users told not to bring vehicles inside flats for charging and to be alert."

There seems to be an SOP from Maharashtra government being mentioned in the article.

Does it mean that charging an EV wont be allowed in Ground/stilt floor parkings or basement parkings of residential buildings?
Old 22nd February 2023, 17:16   #53
BHPian

Looking for advice/suggestions:

For our individual house which is under construction, we have made slots for 4 cars/4 bikes to be parked. I m looking for suggestions to provision for electric charging purely from Civil Construction perspective. Already have a 3 phase connection so I will get rest of the electricals done when I buy a EV.

Few questions:

1. What diameter conduit pipes are needed to run the cables?
2. Should I a dummy thread(or any insulator) from Distribution box to the point of charging, just to be clear which line is going where?
3. Is 15A socket sufficient or do I need to install 32A socket?

Please note that I have already made separate provision for Vacuum Cleaner/Pressure Washer points(3 nos) and hence not looking to use EV sockets for anything else

Most Viewed