Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2019, 21:43   #1
BHPian

Setting up an Electric Vehicle charging point at home

I am planning to build a house on land available next to my present house.

The basic plan is a basement parking for 4 cars which can be moved independently and a couple of others squeezed in if required on a temporary basis. Above that there will be two floors. An independent residence on each floor, both of which we are planning to give on rent. Two parking slots will be for those who rent out the houses while the other two will be retained by me. The electricity mains will be in the basement itself.

Each floor will have independent electricity connection with a corresponding connection for lights and plug points to a parking slot each. Connection to the two slots retained for my use and the common area like terrace etc will be from a third meter.

I was looking to future proof the new house with at least provisions for future projects I may make like adding an on grid solar power plant for the meter I use etc.

I also wanted to add provision for a charging point for Electric Vehicles in each of the four permanent parking slots. I am unable to find any information regarding household EV points specific to India. No information about the wires to be used, any distance specifications from the mains etc.

As of now I have asked the engineer to just have large diameter pipes/ducts running through the concrete that can accommodate really thick cables directly from the mains to each parking slot.

I know I can always run cables externally on the walls. But I want as clean an installation as possible when I do it.

Any guidance with photograhs from anyone who has already set up a charging point at home in India would be really helpful.

---------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just simplifying and putting all the advice taken from BHPians here! My EV charger work starts today

Faster Charging

- Single phase is okay, but 3 phase is much preferred.

- RCCB is put after the meter and a 40A MCB just before the charger.

- Cable used is 10 sq mm three-core if the distance is under 30 meters.

- 16 sq mm (armored cable) if distance is over 30 meters from meter.

- Install 4 inch PVC conduit and keep handholes at every 5m.

----------------------------

Slow Charging

- Put 15 amps socket. For a 15 amps socket, 2.5 sq mm 3 core cable if distance is within 30 meters, 4 sq mm if distance is more than that. This is the cheapest and should do for a lot of people (at least as a temporary fix) as overnight parking = best charging time. I charged the Kona & ZS EV media cars this way.

- Right now, I'm putting just the 15A socket with a waterproof lock & cover on 3 sides of the compound. For the other faster charging options, am just making a provision for the wiring and keeping. Will install faster chargers once we start testing more EVs or I buy one .

Last edited by GTO : 20th May 2021 at 07:29. Reason: Adding a simple explanation to the opening post :)
Ramon is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 12:58   #2

re: Setting up an Electric Vehicle charging point at home

I was thinking about doing the same in my colony parking space dedicated to my flat.

I guess the best solution we could find is from the hyundai / Tata / MG who are going to launch EV in near future.
ripy002 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 14:52   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripy002 View Post
I guess the best solution we could find is from the hyundai / Tata / MG who are going to launch EV in near future.
Until then, you can visit a dealer for electric two-wheelers and get an idea for the wiring at the least. While the socket/adapters will not be the same for 4W EVs, the power ratings wouldn't wary too much.
Old 16th December 2019, 10:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
I also wanted to add provision for a charging point for Electric Vehicles in each of the four permanent parking slots. I am unable to find any information regarding household EV points specific to India. No information about the wires to be used, any distance specifications from the mains etc.

As of now I have asked the engineer to just have large diameter pipes/ducts running through the concrete that can accommodate really thick cables directly from the mains to each parking slot.
I dont think there are certain specifications. It could depend on the charger being used as well and be specific to an electric car. Laying out cables can be expensive. Do check out this post by BHPian sheldon.dz. He paid 28k for cabling from the meter to the parking slot. So, keep this cost factor in mind. Of course, it would depend on the distance. There would be no point spending so much now for the cabling to all four parking spots if there is no immediate plans to get an electric car in the near future. I would suggest just leaving pipes / ducts to install the cabling later.

Hyundai has partnered with Allianz Worldwide and MG has partnered with Fortum to wall-mounted chargers at home. These guys would be the best to contact for any specific information you would need. Both MG and Hyundai offer a wall mounted charger with their cars and Allianz and Fortum will help you set up the chargers at home. I am sure other carmakers launching EVs will have tie ups to help customers install chargers at home.

You may never know, someday, inductive charging may become standard with all cars as well.
ChiragM is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 14:14   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Setting up an Electric Vehicle charging point at home

Subscribing to this thread as I intend to do up my driveways in 2020, and want to get a charging point for all the test-drive cars.

1. If you are looking at something simple, get a 3-pin 15 ampere point (the kind used for heavy appliances like fridges). When the Kona was here, we plugged it into one such socket and left it to charge overnight.

2. Good news is, most EVs will come with manufacturer support for installing fast chargers at home (case in point, the Kona & EZS).
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 15:12   #6
Team-BHP Support

I think ChiragM has covered everything!

Quote:
If your intent is just future-proofing provisions, this is enough.

Every EV manufacturer has their own wall-mounted charger that they'll give free with the car, and it will need to be hard-wired in. So there's really not much you can add right now in addition to the channels or cables.

For more info on the recommended cabling, you could try searching the Bharat EV charging standards (example). Though any electrical engineer should be able to do the basic math and tell you what gauge wire to use.

In a case like GTO's, terminating the connection as a 15 Amp socket makes sense as a lot of test-drive cars will come with a (slower) portable charger that stays in the boot, and connects to a 15 Amp plug-point.

For regular charging, a wall-mounted charger could also be installed, but it's a bit of a gamble as to which standard most EVs would use. (Think iPhone vs Android charging cables).

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th December 2019 at 15:15.
Rehaan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 21:27   #7
BHPian

I would suggest get the cabling from meter or distribution box to parking spot done right away but don't think of installing a charger till you buy an EV.

As everyone before me said each manufacturer/car will have its own charging standard, although all EVs to this point (Kona, eZS, Nexon, Altroz) have already decided to go with EU standard (Combined Charging System aka CCS).

For cabling, I would suggest 11kW capacity. This is just based on my personal experience with previously owning a Tesla Model S. I had a installed capacity of 9.6kW (240V * 40A), and it was enough to charge my 85KWh battery overnight (85 kwh/9.6kw = ~9h). 11kW capacity should be enough to charge a 100kWh model X in 9 hours. So any other regular cars with less than 70kwh capacity should not take more than 6/7 hours. For reference, Kona has about 40kwh capacity; and eZS & Nexon will have about 40kwh & 30kwh capacity respectively. So ideally we are looking at 4 hours charging at max.

just ask your electrician to run wiring for 11kW 3-phase water pump. He would know what wiring, mcb etc to use. You can use this handy calculator - https://polycab.com/electric-calculator/ to know about wire size, mcb etc. Just ask your electrician to wire for 3 pole + neutral + ground, so basically a 5 core cable.

edit: Most manufacturers will supply you with 240V 10A home charger which will slow charge the car in about 15-24 hours. I would think there will lot of purchase options for higher capacity chargers from car manufacturers as well as third party.

Setting up an Electric Vehicle charging point at home-20191216-21_19_03window.png

Last edited by Comrade : 16th December 2019 at 21:31.
Comrade is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 12:15   #8
BHPian

In my opinion, just add channels and pipes in the concrete itself and leave it at that.

Because even if you get the right kind of wire or socket installed, they might get damaged due to non usage (hence neglect) assuming that you don't buy an EV for the next 3 years. Plus there is no point spending that much money on wires now. Invest that money for the time till you buy your EV.
bmw_lover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 12:24   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I was looking to future proof the new house with at least provisions for future projects I may make like adding an on grid solar power plant for the meter I use etc.
I don't think you need any extraordinary provisions other than 3-pin 15 ampere points. As you plan to have the meters at basement, you can pull a concealed piping till the parking bay, from each of the respective meters, and leave it covered. Based on the future need, as required by the tenants wiring can be done. Generally the (at least now) manufacturer facilitates the setting up of charging points.
LoneRidder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 13:26   #10
BHPian

Quote:

I also wanted to add provision for a charging point for Electric Vehicles in each of the four permanent parking slots. I am unable to find any information regarding household EV points specific to India.
From my experience with the MG ZS EV, you don't need anything special beyond a regular 15 amp 3 pin socket.

For the fast chargers, the brands are providing the installation for the same.
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 13:29   #11
BHPian

If concealing the wiring is important, just find out from electrician how much PITA it would be fish 5-core 6/4 sqmm Aluminum or Copper wires through conduit later on. Just laying conduit and fishing wire later-on may not work for high power cables.

If concealing is not important, dont even bother with anything right away.

Quote:
I don't think you need any extraordinary provisions other than 3-pin 15 ampere points
Quote:
From my experience with the MG ZS EV, you don't need anything special beyond a regular 15 amp 3 pin socket.
Thats like charging your brand new iphone or android phone with your PC's USB port. We all know, we need quick charge 3.0 these days to keep up with power hungry phones. Same with EVs. You will need fast chargers, and regular home wiring is not capable of that. You will need high power wiring usually used for arc welding or borewell pumps etc. Wiring will be on customer even if manufacturers are willing to install chargers free.

Last edited by Comrade : 17th December 2019 at 13:33.
Comrade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 13:34   #12
BHPian

Hello Ramon,

As an Consulting Electrical Engineer, here are my 2 cents.

Quote:

I feel this is the best option. Ask the Engineer to lay 25mm (1 inch) dia HEAVY PVC Conduits from the Meter Board to Individual Parking slots and leave it be for the time being.

When the need arises, if the requirement is 11KW - 3 phase as mentioned by Comrade (which I feel will not exceed the limit), 5 runs of 4.0 sq.mm Wires (3 Phase + Neutral + Earth) should suffice your requirement and these can be drawn on the conduits mentioned above and terminated directly or through an Four Pole isolator to the Charger - no need for large diameter pipes.
Mahesh Prasad is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 14:02   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahesh Prasad View Post
Hello Ramon,

I feel this is the best option. Ask the Engineer to lay 25mm (1 inch) dia HEAVY PVC Conduits from the Meter Board to Individual Parking slots and leave it be for the time being.
Agree with the above solution. However i would recommend to lay 2runs of 25mm conduit or 35mm single run, just in case you opt for (XLPE) Unarmored Aluminium cables/Higher rating charger.

Keep in mind the extra cost for 3 phase connection, investment on fast charger setup. Also its uncertain how(or how much) the Government/Utility company may charge for Car charging connection. I apprehend that in the future, they may charge higher for such connection.
spgv is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 16:03   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I feel the requirements for wiring as below

1. 3 phase connection with 12KW approved load.
2. Two Dedicated conduits of 1 inch from meter box to the proposed point of charging
3. 6 sq mm wires from the meter box to the point of charging.
4. Separate circuit breaker and RCCB for the charging circuit.
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 01:06   #15
BHPian

There are a few things to figure out:
1. Power source: Solar vs. Grid
2. Expected peak load / consumption: Regular vs. Fast chargers and also the number of vehicles that you expect to be connected at one time
3. Also, some of the newer technologies are allowing users to utilize the EV batteries as battery banks for the premises

I would suggest you create a provision a duct or cable trays for the wires to be installed. Since, the wire specifications will always be decided later, it would be better to go for a 6" duct / cable tray. This way, you are covered for flexible wires as well as armoured cables. Armoured cables will be suggested in case the cable is exposed to the elements.

This way, you do not need to make all decisions at a time when the available technology in India is at a nascent stage and could possibly see some changes in the coming years.

You can always lay in the cabling in the provision you have created when the right technology is available.
MS_Auto is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks