Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2019, 11:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tesla Model 3 outsold BMW 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Series combined in USA

According to a media report, in the US, the Tesla Model 3 has sold more than the BMW 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 Series combined in this calendar year till November.

Tesla Model 3 outsold BMW 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Series combined in USA-tesla-outsold-bmw.png

The report suggests that between January and November 2019, an estimated 1,27,836 Tesla Model 3s were delivered. In comparison, sales of all the aforementioned BMW cars during the same period is 1,16,073 units. In fact, add the sales figures of the X2 or the i3 and the i8, and it still does not match the sales figures of the Tesla. The X2 sold 10,200 units while the i3 and the i8 sold 5,691 units together.

BMW's passenger car sales fell by 14.4% this year compared to the same period in 2018. We had earlier reported that BMW is most affected due to the Model 3's success.

Link to Team-BHP News

Source
ChiragM is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 12:15   #2
BHPian

Re: Tesla Model 3 outsold BMW 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Series combined in USA

And the legacy manufacturers still say there's no demand for EVs. Translation: They don't want to make EVs or they aren't capable of making EVs cheap enough.
sreeharipv is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 13:18   #3
BHPian

I'm surprised how one man has taken down an entire historic company in such a short span.
CliffHanger is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 13:54   #4
BHPian

I'm really not surprised here. A friend of mine lusting after BMWs (due to my endless praise for my 6 cylinder NA engine) ended up buying the Model 3. And he loves it. IMO, after around 2006 (E90) the BMW line up has become far too complicated and confusing. Sadly this complication and confusion has also trickled into their design language. Their styling has become ugly... something that we would term Japanese cars back in the late 90s and early 2000s. For example, these days I actually find the Toyota Altis taillights a lot more appealing than almost any bimmer. Never really thought I'd say this. I think they've lost the plot trying to chase after what consumers want rather than just designing and building ultimate driving machines.

This used to be the state of affairs that Apple Computers was in before Steve Jobs took over the helm again in the 90s. He completely simplified the product lineup which further made it easier for consumers while making purchase decisions.

Always been a huge fan of BMWs (would still take an E39 M5 over any modern day car), but they need a reform fast, or else MB is going to eat them up. And looks like before that, Tesla.

Last edited by Macfreak7 : 19th December 2019 at 13:57.
Macfreak7 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 19:48   #5
BHPian

This is some news. They have taken on the combined BMW lineup and won with plenty to spare. Wonder when we see these dream machines on our shore.
Sunil2307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 21:39   #6
BHPian

That number for the model 3 looks like its lower than what it should be. Tesla has been shipping over 70k model 3s for the last 2-3 quarters. They should be well above the 200k mark for the model 3 this year alone.

And I believe Tesla hasn't even started leasing the model 3 yet. They only lease the S and X. Imagine the sales figures if you could lease a model 3!! I'm torn between the M340i, Porsche Macan S and the model 3. I haven't driven either one of them yet. I've driven the last gen 340i ( dead steering) and the model 3 performance (insane but also very expensive). I'm planning to drive all three of them in the next few days though

Last edited by HKap : 19th December 2019 at 21:45. Reason: added content
HKap is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 08:26   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKap View Post
That number for the model 3 looks like its lower than what it should be. Tesla has been shipping over 70k model 3s for the last 2-3 quarters. They should be well above the 200k mark for the model 3 this year alone.
These Model 3 numbers beating all BMW cars is for US only. But 70K model 3s per quarter includes international sales as well. This year Tesla started shipping to international markets like Europe and China. Numbers for some of the EU countries are even more staggering. Model 3 is the best selling car in 2019 in Norway ahead all petrol/diesel and EVs. Its on track to be the best selling car for the year in Netherlands as well. In UK in Q3, Model 3 is well ahead of all EVs.
sri_tesla is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 14:04   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
I'm surprised how one man has taken down an entire historic company in such a short span.
So true. Musk & Tesla alone made EVs cool & sexy. Before Tesla, EVs were terribly boring cars with horrible performance + range limitations. Tesla changed the direction of an entire industry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfreak7 View Post
I'm really not surprised here. A friend of mine lusting after BMWs (due to my endless praise for my 6 cylinder NA engine) ended up buying the Model 3.
I would buy an S-Class over the Model S 9 times out of 10. However, I would easily be swayed into buying a Model 3 dual-motor over say, a 330i.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 18:39   #9
BHPian

Although I admire Tesla as a brand for what they have done-make EVs sleek and cool, I never liked its founder. The guy openly pokes/makes fun of other brands some of which have been around for a century! I mean look at Christian Von Koenigsegg, he is everything which Elon Musk is not (humble, soft spoken, dignified). Both have achieved biblical things in their careers yet Koenigsegg remains modest. The things Koenigsegg have achieved with their cars is simply astonishing-Triplex suspension, FreeValve, 1:1 Power to weight ratio, Direct-drive. I will definitely have much more respect for brands like these than Tesla.

Coming back to the topic, I think China's EV market is where Tesla is aiming its turret. Though it has de-grown this year, probably due to govt. subsidies being pulled back.

Tesla Model 3 outsold BMW 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Series combined in USA-chinaelectricvehiclesalesoctober2019cleantechnica.png

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 20th December 2019 at 19:29. Reason: Resized picture.
ds.raikkonen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 10:43   #10

As Doug de muro say “you can not afford not to buy a Tesla Model 3” the performance version is as fast as m5 and cost about the same a mid trim 3 series. The base variant cost about the same as a loaded Camry or accord.
Old 23rd December 2019, 10:51   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
However, I would easily be swayed into buying a Model 3 dual-motor over say, a 330i.
The one going up against the 330i is the RWD single motor model 3. It's apparently fantastic to drive...not as refined so doesn't feel like a luxury car. The question for me is, should I pick the model 3 long range dual motor over the m340i? Financial common sense says the model 3, esp since I have free charging at work and also because my mileage claim at work would help reduce monthly payments substantially but....the inline 6 of the m340i is just something else...i'm grinning like a 5 year old just at the thought of that engine note.
Old 23rd December 2019, 18:38   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKap View Post
The one going up against the 330i is the RWD single motor model 3. It's apparently fantastic to drive...not as refined so doesn't feel like a luxury car. The question for me is, should I pick the model 3 long range dual motor over the m340i? Financial common sense says the model 3, esp since I have free charging at work and also because my mileage claim at work would help reduce monthly payments substantially but....the inline 6 of the m340i is just something else...i'm grinning like a 5 year old just at the thought of that engine note.
Absolutely love the Teslas and would probably jump on it as soon as it gets launched in India. But the question, however is, can you live with (read: enjoy) a silent engine?
Old 9th January 2020, 14:18   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitverma View Post
Absolutely love the Teslas and would probably jump on it as soon as it gets launched in India. But the question, however is, can you live with (read: enjoy) a silent engine?
+1 on probably jumping on it when they launch in India. As far as living with a silent engine is concerned - don't we all praise the silence enjoyed inside a luxury car like the Rolls Royce?

Yes I do agree that for us petrolheads the engine's note is part of the entire experience of driving - but maybe we will get used to the silence the same way we all became used to the diesel engine's noise against a petrol engine's music.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks