Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: When will you be ready to buy an Electric Car?
Now baby! I'm ready 53 9.01%
Short-term (1 - 2 years) 54 9.18%
Mid-term (3 - 4 years) 129 21.94%
Long-term (5+ years later) 285 48.47%
Rubbish, no EVs for me 67 11.39%
Voters: 588. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2019, 09:15   #46
BHPian

Re: When will you be ready to buy an Electric Car?

The pace with which electronics and electrical components evolve, I believe one shouldn't try to be early adopter of such things.
Sit and watch for 5 or more years till everything is standardized and becomes stable then only participate in the game.

Last edited by pravint : 24th December 2019 at 09:15. Reason: grammer
Old 24th December 2019, 09:34   #47

In around 3-4 years.

I am guessing that the charging infra will develop pretty quickly in India. Moreover, I also think that battery tech will change drastically in the next few years (graphene? Al-Air? Supercaps?) to increase range and decrease travel time considerably.

A range of around 500-600kms is more than enough with sparse charging infra or a range of 1000kms with no charging infra. I am banking on the latter based on the research around the world in battery tech.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 24th December 2019 at 09:37. Reason: line spacing
Old 24th December 2019, 09:46   #48
BHPian

India is just not ready for mass adoption of EVs. When we don't even get proper electricity for our homes, getting an EV is a long way off.
ROG_AK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 09:55   #49
Senior - BHPian

Poll is incorrect. We can't say when we will buy EV unless -

1 We have enough options in the market in all segments, currently we have very few costly options available.
2 EV's get sufficient range, I will buy only when I will get confirmed range more than 300+ Kms in single charge. I can't charge car everyday like my mobile.
3 I get sufficient charging stations on road so that I will not get stuck on road in case of emergency.
4 Fast charging is a must. Can't wait 8-10 hours for full charge every time.
5 Replacement battery cost is known and it should be within budget, can't spend like 7-8 lacs in single stroke after 5-7 years of car usage.

When all above factors are fulfilled then only we can think of buying EV. Else no point in discussing now as it's not a feasible option.

PS: I would be really interested in buying one for myself if it's within budget & has above criteria fulfilled.
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 10:37   #50
BHPian

We own two cars at home. One for the highways and a beater for the city commute. The beater hatch sees trips that are not more than 15 kilometers every day and I'd love to replace it with an EV. With the limited running, I wouldn't have range anxiety issues too.
But like others have said, given how poor Bangalore's electricity infrastructure is, I'd wait for that to stabilize before I buy an EV. And I do not foresee that happening at least in the next 5 years. A decade does seem like a possibility though.
Old 24th December 2019, 10:42   #51
A M
BHPian

Can we add another option to the poll: "Until there's no other option"?

If that's not an option, I have voted for "Rubbish, no EVs for me".
Old 24th December 2019, 11:09   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This is clearly showing that EV acceptability is on the rise, even among diehard gearheads .
Change is inevitable, and for city commutes many of us are open to EV's. However, the primary vehicles would be fuel burners. Long trips, specific uses are factors. Even for those who would take out their EV's on longer trips, and charging facilities are available, they will need to factor in additional time for charge top-up to continue their journey.
Old 24th December 2019, 11:17   #53
BHPian

I have never purchased a new vehicle yet. The vehicle that I had previously owned and the current vehicle are diesel( Used Swift and Etios respectively)

I am planning to purchase a new car after 3 to 4 years. My obvious choice will be EV. I drive approximately 90% of time in city itself. For that, I will be more than happy with upcoming Altroz or Nexon EVs and the driving range that they offer.

Will keep Etios as my other vehicle because it's a Toyota which can survive even an apocalypse, so surviving an EV invasion will be easy for it.

On a serious note, my diesel car will help me out when I won't be able to charge EVs due to any emergency or when I am planning any inter-state travels (Until EV infrastructure develops).

Cars can run for 15 years easily. With 8 years of battery warranty offered by most of the manufacturers, EVs can definitely spend 2 of its life with us. Also 15 to 20 years is long enough time for EV technology and charging infrastructure to take a giant leap. I will not be worried about resale values because even if I want to sell my EV after using it for 15 years, the subsidy offered on the old car and the future purchase will offset the cost. Even negligible running cost and maintenance helps.

Had anyone thought a year back that we would be having 5 different EV vehicles launched within a year, which we would actually be able to purchase and drive?
Technology never fails to surprise us. So we can never predict how well charging infrastructure will develop in future.
Old 24th December 2019, 11:29   #54
BHPian

I will wait to replace my primary car with an EV until on the go battery swaps or some other tech is available to match the ease of filling fuel.
Hence voted for long term.

Whereas, for daily commutes and such, EVs are already coming and how!
Old 24th December 2019, 11:32   #55
BHPian

Voted no ev's for me.

Until I'm convinced that ev's
1. Are as safe as fossil fuel cars- battery technology is proven over 100000s of kms and batteries will not explode.
2. Have a 500 + kms range
3. Battery can just be swapped - imagine 100 cars waiting at a highway charging station for 5 hours and many more such hypothetical situations.
4. Are truly good for the environment - green source of electricity, proper way to recycle/dispose used batteries.
Old 24th December 2019, 11:36   #56
BHPian

I'd love to own one but not in the near future or till the time they are totally reliable when it comes to charging infra.
But yes, as a second car, I'd love to get one along the dimensions of a Swift. Fast, zippy and perfect for in-city commutes.
Old 24th December 2019, 11:45   #57
BHPian

Voted for the last option. Even though I've never driven any EV yet, I just love the gasoline engines and want to enjoy it for as long as I can. EVs may have insane acceleration and excellent NVH but to an EV layman like me, it seems like an electric wheelchair. May be a test drive will change my perception but I'll try and drive IC cars till the last drop available. Moreover, charging infrastructure in India has a long way to go and I don't think they will crop up adequately in the next 5 years. I think in India electric two wheeler should be the first step before we think about going electric with cars.

Last edited by Carpainter : 24th December 2019 at 11:47.
Old 24th December 2019, 11:47   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
When will you buy one? Or will you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I'm convinced on EV's and that they are the perfect solution for a city car. Still it can't be primary car in the house since long distance is not served.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
A city car, yes. May be in 5 years. At this time, I think prices are still on the higher side. But the primary car at this time has to be a diesel/petrol, since a typical long drive to native is 600-650 km. Not to speak of any long drives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Voted for Mid-term (3 - 4 years)! I would love to replace one car with an EV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Two aspects to this:

1) The ability to own one

2) The objective to own one
To all the respected senior members. This poll can be best answered by the below image. The Indian car scene forum ie. ICE forum at any time is being viewed by at least 2000 viewers and the Electric car scene forum not by more than 400 viewers. Which is similar to the no. of those viewing the super-cars and imports forum. So basically at the moment the EVs are a niche category which only attract the early adopters or those who actually want to push this technology.

When will you be ready to buy an Electric Car?-ccddcdc.png
bmw_lover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 12:02   #59
BHPian

Voted short term ie 1-2 years from now.
I have fixed parking in my apartment block and I have actually discussed with my RWA to install few electric charging points for EV's. Many residents have shown interest in getting the EV's. We had a site visit from the near Hyundai showroom to install the EV chargers at a designated spot in our apartment complex.
There are many like me who would switch to an EV for at least city chores.
For highway drives, I do have ICE vehicles to depend upon.
behaln is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 12:23   #60
BHPian

I believe they are coming, charging cars is going to be a new way of life. I have voted for the 5 year option, I'm someone who'd let the dust settle before plunging.

But lets say a Japanese/Korean (Jazz/Brio/Swift/NIOS) comes in with a 300-400 km range, 8-10 years of all inclusive warranty and costs close to 10-12 Lakh. I'd take that in 3 years from today.

Last edited by Ritzvxi : 24th December 2019 at 12:32. Reason: Re-phrasing

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks