Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2019, 18:04   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Electric Car Sales: April to October 2019

Here is the sales data of EV's sold in India. A minuscule market, which is not going to change anytime soon!

Name:  8.PNG
Views: 5305
Size:  63.4 KB

Electric Cars were sold in India from April 2019 to October 2019 (7 months).

-Out of overall 16,05,549 cars sold. Electric Vehicle Sales contributed to only 0.067% of overall cars sales in India

-Verito Electric was the best selling electric car in the mentioned time frame. It sold an average of 62 cars/mth.( mostly in logistic segment? )

-Tigor came in close second where it sold 389 cars in the 7 months time period and its average was 56 cars/mth

-Kona has made good progress and sold 227 units in the 5 months since its launch and averaged at 45 units/mth

- The biggest loser is E2O and has completely lost the first mover advantage and is losing out on volumes heavily. At present; only 3 cars/mth is the average sale of the model.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 18:49   #2
BANNED

Electric Car Sales: April to October 2019

Only 1071 Electric Cars were sold in India from April 2019 to October 2019 (7 months) out of overall 16,05,549 cars sold. Electric Vehicle Sales contributed to only 0.067% of overall cars sales in India!

Electric Car Sales: April to October 2019-ev-sales-data.jpg
  • Verito Electric was the best selling electric car with an average of 62 cars/mth.
  • Tigor came in close second where it sold 389 cars in the 7 months time period and its average was 56 cars/mth.
  • Kona has made good progress and sold 227 units in the 5 months since its launch and averaged at 45 units/mth.
  • E2O has completely lost the first mover advantage and is losing out on volumes heavily. At present; only 3 cars/mth is the average sale of the model.
Source: AutoPunditz

wheelguy is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 19:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Electric Vehicle (EV) Landscape - A Deep Dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Here is the sales data of EV's sold in India. A minuscule market, which is not going to change anytime soon!

- The biggest loser is E2O and has completely lost the first mover advantage and is losing out on volumes heavily. At present; only 3 cars/mth is the average sale of the model.

Link
E2O was discontinued earlier in the year, so not a fair comparison.
Verito and Tigor sales are primarily to fleet operators and very little sales to private users.
It is only Kona which is sold exclusively to private individuals.

The next year will give a clear indication on the sales numbers with three proper EVs going on sale.
speedmiester is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 19:44   #4
BHPian

re: Electric Car Sales: April to October 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Only 1071 Electric Cars were sold in India from April 2019 to October 2019 (7 months) out of overall 16,05,549 cars sold. Electric Vehicle Sales contributed to only 0.067% of overall cars sales in India!
EVs are just getting started. Most of the major markets (China, EU and US) around the world have already seen the peak of ICE (petrol/diesel) vehicle sales between 2016 and 2018. India would have reached that in 2019 or 2020 but due to economic slowdown the FY20 numbers are way lower than the FY19 which was the highest ever for the Indian market. Increasing prices due to BSVI regulations means the ICE sales may never reach the peak of FY19.

Till now there are hardly any decent EVs available in the country. FY20 already seeing 3 good EVs (Kona, ZS and Nexon) at different price points. Next year more models like Altroz EV, XUV300 EV, etc... will come into the market. Once the EVs reach 10 lakh price point, more and more people will start buying them instead of ICEs whose feature will be uncertain.
sri_tesla is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 00:33   #5
BHPian

These meek figures are also due to govt purchase push. Otherwise these should not be more than 25% of these numbers going by rational car purchases.
gupta_chd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 03:53   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

These numbers are basically inconsequential as they are comprised of substandard products with major compromises, which were almost entirely bought either by deliberate fleet sale or by the government itself.

The first real and relevant EV on the Indian auto scene is the Hyundai Kona, and it has done well for itself given its price and availability of kits. We can expect exponential in EV numbers for 2020 when the MG ZS EV and more importantly, Tata Nexon and Altroz electric will go on sale. We can expect the next year to be a watershed moment for EVs in India.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 25th December 2019 at 03:54.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 04:33   #7
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I think given our infra (or the lack of it) and the vast distances and huge hinterland, we will be better advised to go the Hybrid Route.
However, India has a habit of leap frogging across technologies, so who knows, like it happened in the case of smart phones, one may suddenly see a massive EV rEVolution!
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 07:43   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Every journey of a thousand leagues begins with the first step. EVs is the direction to go. An important component to save our atmosphere. I have no doubt that EV safety, EV ranges and EV battery recyling will all improve dramatically in the 5 to 7 years ahead. And that will reflect on sales. 3 to 4 years or so ago we were debating the practical range of the E20 of about 100 kms or so. Today we are talking of the 250 kms+ Kona. 350 kms isn't far off now. My next car change will be around 2021. An EV it will be. No question about it.
V.Narayan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 12:46   #9
BHPian

Re: Electric Car Sales: April to October 2019

Many thanks for the numbers. It would be good to have these regularly to understand the trend.
We still haven't really started making EV`s in India, i.e including batteries etc, hence the relatively high cost. Once they do come it, I am sure the numbers will start reflecting a huge change.

Thanks once again for the numbers.
sajaijayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 13:21   #10
BHPian

Hyundai must be happy with it's sales, considering the overall mood. Kona looks like it could surpass the 500/year target Hyundai has set, but Ezs and Nexon could impact it's sales.
guru_max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 11:36   #11
BHPian

I personally think, Kona can not be compared with anything else in this list due to the fact that it is in different level in terms of price and over all quality.

Verito and Tigor are plugged-in EVs. I mean, they took the car built for ICE and attached batteries and EV components. This is not going to yield maximum efficiency. Somehow, I feel an EV should be designed from the ground up (like Tesla), considering the battery weight and over all car weight distribution, performance, ride and handling tuned accordingly. Finally, unnecessary weights are removed from the design itself to achieve maximum weight reduction which helps in battery space optimization. Tesla is a pioneer and most of the EVs are being designed based on this concept. In this sense of mine, E2O has better design in terms of weigh reduction. Tigor could be a slightly better design, but still, I need to do a bit more research on this to clear my doubts.

Please correct my understanding. I am still in the learning process! :-)

Last edited by sgmuser : 29th December 2019 at 11:38. Reason: typos.
sgmuser is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 16:47   #12
BHPian

EV sales will definitely increase once the infra is in place, range is increased and prices are as low as cars with ICE.
I really hope the charging times come down significantly as the current times are just unacceptable for me.
Old 29th December 2019, 18:59   #13
BHPian

For a market like India , EV s are only an experiment for the govt. Or the uber rich and will continue to be like that for foreseeable future. There are a lot of unknowns for the end users and hence a green sales pitch is just not enough, it needs to make economical sense, post which it has to overcome perceptions related to range anxiety and battery upkeep.

A low ticket entry is through two wheelers where range anxiety is not a deal breaker and experiments are affordable as well.. Easy to own a Rs 1 - 1.5 lakh electric scooter vs a 20 lakh electric car.
charanreddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 04:17   #14
BHPian

The scenario is changing world over. Just picked up a copy of the news paper in Auckland today and found out that a much smaller country with a great environment is shifting towards electric cars. No reason why we shouldn’t be moving in the same direction.

We all understand the problems with buying an electric vehicle today in India but I fee that the trend will change slowly and steadily.
Attached Thumbnails
Electric Car Sales: April to October 2019-f4b863873d954e758abfe4e9ecad96ad.jpeg  

Ravi_chd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 08:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

If one has read the fine text in the Delhi EV policy, there is a subsidy being offered for the first 1000 cars as well as for installation of charging points at homes/offices.

Quote:
Purchase incentive of ₹10,000 per kWh of battery capacity for first 1000 cars subject to a cap of Rs 1,50,000 per vehicle

Delhi government to provide a 100% subsidy for the purchase of charging equipment up to ₹6,000 per charging point for the first 30,000 charging points at homes/workplaces. Subsidy to be routed through DISCOMS who will be in-charge of charger installations.
I'd gone to get an accessory installed at the MG showroom and they were pretty upbeat about the ZS EV. Quite a few bookings to show and coupled with the subsidy of Rs 1,50,000 by Delhi government ( which they were flaunting to all potential buyers), and a similar subsidy by MG for the first 1000 customers, initial adopters could save as much as Rs 3L.

With the subsidy, the Kona looks slightly more affordable and the numbers are definitely going to see a jump from Q2 2020.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks