Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2020, 15:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tesla working on battery pack with lifespan of a million miles

According to a media report, Tesla, along with Canada’s Dalhousie University, is working on a new lithium ion battery technology that could give a million miles (1.6 million km) of driving. The report suggests that a patent for the new technology was filed on December 26, 2019.

Tesla working on battery pack with lifespan of a million miles-model-s.jpg

It is said that the current battery packs used in Teslas have a battery life of up to 5,00,000 miles (8,04,672 km). In comparison, the average lifespan of a car in the US is said to be 1,50,000 miles (2,41,402 km).

According to the report, current lithium ion battery packs provide 1,000 to 2,000 discharge cycles. In comparison, the new battery pack is expected to retain 95% of its capacity after 1,000 discharge cycles and 90% after 4,000 cycles.

Tesla working on battery pack with lifespan of a million miles-battery-cycle.png

The new battery technology is said to improve efficiency, energy density, and longevity at lower costs. The new battery packs could be used in taxis and trucks. It is said that truckers in the US drive up to 1,50,000 miles (2,41,402 km) every year.

Link to Team-BHP News

Source
ChiragM is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th January 2020, 22:25   #2
BHPian

Re: Tesla working on battery pack with lifespan of a million miles

Sorry if my question is dumb but how long is the lifespan of the electric motors that are typically used in the EVs.
Speedshift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2020, 23:24   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedshift View Post
Sorry if my question is dumb but how long is the lifespan of the electric motors that are typically used in the EVs.

Its only depends on the bearing life, a Brushless electric motor has only two ball bearings. So motors are pretty much super reliable, what is not though is the motor inverter aka electronic speed controller, which basically converts the DC voltage of the battery to three phase AC to drive the motor.
aim120 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 08:38   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

They should offer different batteries to different consumers at different price points. As an example, regular consumer cars which will never see over 200,000 or 300,000 miles on the odometer should not unnecessarily pay for a million mile battery. On the other hand, commercial users will prefer it.

It should be the same for range too. I expect to see car models being offered with varying battery ranges (e.g. 400 km for city folk, 800 km for highway champs). If someone doesn't need the extra range, he can very well save money and get the cheaper lower-spec battery.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 12:23   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
They should offer different batteries to different consumers at different price points. As an example, regular consumer cars which will never see over 200,000 or 300,000 miles on the odometer should not unnecessarily pay for a million mile battery. On the other hand, commercial users will prefer it.
In EU market, 200,000 (km) is not rare. A lot of regular cars do it in less than 10 years. My V40 did 100,000 in less than 3 years; similar is the use case with a lot of people.

On pricing, the other dimension is how much of a difference it is going to be.

In today's world I remember (based on my memory from Bjørn Nyland's youtube videos) Same models of Teslas have same battery pack in all cars but restriction is applied using software and they are priced differently. Its just because making 75/85/100 Kwh etc separately is not worth the manufacturing efforts and costs involved. Software restriction was simply a better cost effective solution to serve different category of consumers. This could be the same case for million mile battery pack as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks