Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2020, 21:54   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sony surprise! Unveils electric car Vision S at CES 2020

Ok, so now an electronic company is coming to manufacture a car? Which is very much welcoming. But, I can imagine who’s going to show up next after Sony. Any guesses? My top contenders;

1) Microsoft
2) Samsung
3) MI
4) One+
5) LG

This is mostly because of their expertise in making batteries for phones that Sony is aware of? Yeah, but car is a different territory and believe it could get a lot more crowded in the EV segment in the coming days.

So I take it it’s relatively less complex to build an EV Vs ICE. So current manufacturers have to gear up for a mass competition with beneficiaries being customers at the end with wide range of products to choose from

Related thread that is mostly tagged to what I’ve spoken:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...ize-build.html (Are Electric Vehicles easier to conceptualize & build?)
Old 17th January 2020, 23:31   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
So I take it it’s relatively less complex to build an EV Vs ICE.
In my honest opinion this is far from truth. To manufacture an EV and be cost effective is very hard. You can see the German3 sweating in their pants to be able to keep up with Tesla in terms of efficiency and price. Even today with so much effort being put in by German3, it would be expensive to own and run a German electric car. This only seems to be getting worse.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-supe...per-vs-ionity/

All this news from Sony is about what they can do with Audio/Video stuff, sensors and what not. Nothing in terms of mass manufacturing of batteries, powertrain, range, and charging network. (correct me if you have seen this info from elsewhere) These are the things that will determine the success of an EV. You can very well have excellent audio/video, sensors and autonomous driving in an ICE.
Old 29th July 2020, 20:09   #33
Senior - BHPian

Sony Vision S will enter the road testing phase, arrived in Tokyo for development

Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 14:29   #34
Senior - BHPian

Sony Vision S public road testing commenced in Austria to evaluate Safety and Sony technologies

Old 23rd January 2021, 16:24   #35
Senior - BHPian

Sony tells that it has no plans to mass produce or sell its Vision-S concept but instead is using it to test technology so it can be part of the autonomous vehicle future.

Sony surprise! Unveils electric car Vision S at CES 2020-smartselect_20210123162405_chrome.jpg

Quote:
A Sony spokesperson told: "At present, we have no plans to mass-produce or sell the vehicle. With mobility expected as a major megatrend into the future, we’re exploring how Sony can contribute in a meaningful way to the era of autonomous driving." Some of those contributions could be entertainment related, the spokesperson indicated, saying, "Through our strengths in imaging and sensing, we aim to contribute to both safety and reliability in autonomous driving, while also delivering a powerful experience leveraging entertainment in the mobility space."
Source
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 21:44   #36
BHPian

Sony Vision S Spied Testing .

Quote:
The Sony Vision S development continues, which raises the question of what the company is planning to do with this vehicle. As of January, the automaker says that it has no intention to produce the vehicle.

There are a few tiny tweaks to the exterior in comparison to the original concept. In front, there are now tiny lights in the separated section below the main lamps. The vent on the front fender is longer vertically, which makes it a more prominent styling element by virtue of being bigger. The charging door panel at the rear has a new trapezoidal shape with rounded corners, rather than the square design previously.

Sony's goal is to develop the system to support Level 4 assistance. This would give the vehicle the ability to drive itself, but there would still be a steering wheel for a driver to take control.

Inside, there are cameras for monitoring the driver. The tech is able to monitor a driver's facial expression and can tell if a person is becoming fatigued or losing concentration. The software can also read lips and interpret gestures.

The sound system uses Sony's 360 Reality Audio tech. Speakers embedded in the seats tailor the sound to each occupant. The 5G connection connects to the PlayStation network, so it's theoretically possible for an occupant to play Gran Turismo while Vision S is driving down the road.

Sony surprise! Unveils electric car Vision S at CES 2020-sonyvisionsspyshotsfrontcornerclose.jpg

Sony surprise! Unveils electric car Vision S at CES 2020-sonyvisionsspyshotsbackcorner.jpg

For More:
https://www.motor1.com/news/509293/s...n-s-spy-shots/
Eshan Joshi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 23:39   #37
BANNED

Re: Sony Vision S Spied Testing .

Sony Vision S
Tesla Model S

What an original name to launch your very first car with.
turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 11:39   #38
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sony Vision S Spied Testing .

If they do decide to launch this, I hope they do it properly. Just like how there are Apple fans, there are some Sony fans out there like me. From their cameras, walkmans, TVs, gaming consoles, sound systems, VAIO laptops, Sony-Ericsson (cybershot) and Xperia phones to even Sony pictures, the conglomerate has influenced generations. Although the Vision S looks like the lovechild of a Tesla and Taycan, I do hope Sony does a good job.
TrackDay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 21:58   #39
BHPian

Sony Vision-S EV Car

[Searched the forum for Sony's Vision-S details. My search did not yield any significant threads. Hence creating a new one. @mods please delete this if a thread already exists]

Sony's Vision-S concept EV created great buzz when the concept was introduced. Here are some points from the videos as I gathered. Hope my points are right. (Bhpians, Feel free to correct )
  • Magna Steyr is the engineering partner for creating the concept vehicles.
  • Bosch is supplying EV motor technology (I guess).
  • Electrobit GmBH (most likely for the connected car experience?)
  • Valeo
  • ZF Germany (most likely Gears?)
  • Sony has a in-house team of experts who are putting together the execution of ideas, audio visual bits and the whole project.
Recently, Sony seem to have tested two of their prototype EVs in Frankfurt. Here is the video promoted in Sony's website.

And here is another video by Sony, where their partners talk in bits.

I am simply amazed by Sony's interest in EV space. Looks like if they execute well.. they might become the next major Japanese EV player from completely unrelated space. They have the money, they have the ability to assemble partners and manpower. I wish Sony the luck they deserve.

Sony surprise! Unveils electric car Vision S at CES 2020-sonyvisions1.jpg

PS1: I wish Sony does not go overboard with a proprietary charging plug/cable technology. (They usually go proprietary in their electronics Ex. M2 memory card).

PS2: I am curious. How will Sony sell their Vision-s in India? Croma / Reliance outlets? or partner with existing vendors? or go the Tesla way?
Old 5th January 2022, 13:19   #40
BHPian

Sony unveils Vision-S 02 SUV at CES. They are planning to go commercial. Cant help but they look similar to Teslas and hope they can make them a little distinct.

https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/New...02201/22-002E/
Old 5th January 2022, 13:29   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Sony Debuts Vision-S 02 SUV Concept At CES, Creates Sony Mobility.

Sony surprise! Unveils electric car Vision S at CES 2020-sonyvisions02suvconcept.jpg

Sony surprise! Unveils electric car Vision S at CES 2020-sonyvisions02suvconcept-1.jpg

Newly formed Sony Mobility will explore a potential entry into the EV segment.

Quote:
This spring, the Japanese tech giant will create a new company called Sony Mobility "through which we intend to explore entry into the EV market."
Quote:
While the original concept had four seats, the SUV is a lot more practical by accommodating up to seven people. It essentially looks like a high-riding version of the sedan and has the following dimensions: 192.7 inches (4.9 meters) long, 76 inches (1.93 meters) wide, and 65 inches (1.65 meters) tall, with a generous wheelbase stretching at 119.3 inches (3.03 meters). It rides on 20-inch wheels and tips the scales at 5,467 pounds (2,480 kilograms).

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th January 2022 at 13:32.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 21:36   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Sony seeks new partners for transformative EV project -executive

Sony Group will likely add new technology partners to its electric vehicle (EV) project to help it forge a mobility business to transform cars from transportation machines to entertainment spaces.

Quote:
An ongoing shift to electric cars, which are easier to build than those with internal combustion engines, is allowing new entrants into vehicle manufacturing. At the same time, autonomous driving and 5G connectivity is expected remold the auto industry by turning cars into mobile platforms for information and entertainment services.

So far, Sony has built two EV "Vision" prototypes with a factory in Austria owned by Canadian auto parts maker Magna International (MG.TO), which also makes cars for firms including BMW , Mercedes Benz and Toyota Motor Corp.
Quote:
Other members of its Europe-based project include German auto parts maker Bosch, French automotive technology company Valeo SE and Hungarian autonomous vehicle start-up AImotive.

To bring an EV to market, Sony would likely have to invest heavily in plant and equipment.
Sony will pick new partners for its EV project based on the technology they can bring to the project, without regard to their nationality.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 12:27   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Testing seen in Budapest, with autonomous driving technology

Name:  IMG20220427084500395.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  131.9 KB

Name:  IMG20220427084458896.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  151.5 KB