Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Old 17th January 2020, 21:54   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Sony surprise! Unveils electric car Vision S at CES 2020

Ok, so now an electronic company is coming to manufacture a car? Which is very much welcoming. But, I can imagine whos going to show up next after Sony. Any guesses? My top contenders;

1) Microsoft
2) Samsung
3) MI
4) One+
5) LG

This is mostly because of their expertise in making batteries for phones that Sony is aware of? Yeah, but car is a different territory and believe it could get a lot more crowded in the EV segment in the coming days.

So I take it its relatively less complex to build an EV Vs ICE. So current manufacturers have to gear up for a mass competition with beneficiaries being customers at the end with wide range of products to choose from

Related thread that is mostly tagged to what Ive spoken:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...ize-build.html (Are Electric Vehicles easier to conceptualize & build?)
Old 17th January 2020, 23:31   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
So I take it it’s relatively less complex to build an EV Vs ICE.
In my honest opinion this is far from truth. To manufacture an EV and be cost effective is very hard. You can see the German3 sweating in their pants to be able to keep up with Tesla in terms of efficiency and price. Even today with so much effort being put in by German3, it would be expensive to own and run a German electric car. This only seems to be getting worse.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-supe...per-vs-ionity/

All this news from Sony is about what they can do with Audio/Video stuff, sensors and what not. Nothing in terms of mass manufacturing of batteries, powertrain, range, and charging network. (correct me if you have seen this info from elsewhere) These are the things that will determine the success of an EV. You can very well have excellent audio/video, sensors and autonomous driving in an ICE.
Old 29th July 2020, 20:09   #33
Senior - BHPian

Sony Vision S will enter the road testing phase, arrived in Tokyo for development

Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 14:29   #34
Senior - BHPian

Sony Vision S public road testing commenced in Austria to evaluate Safety and Sony technologies

Old 23rd January 2021, 16:24   #35
Senior - BHPian

Sony tells that it has no plans to mass produce or sell its Vision-S concept but instead is using it to test technology so it can be part of the autonomous vehicle future.

Sony surprise! Unveils electric car Vision S at CES 2020-smartselect_20210123162405_chrome.jpg

Quote:
A Sony spokesperson told: "At present, we have no plans to mass-produce or sell the vehicle. With mobility expected as a major megatrend into the future, we’re exploring how Sony can contribute in a meaningful way to the era of autonomous driving." Some of those contributions could be entertainment related, the spokesperson indicated, saying, "Through our strengths in imaging and sensing, we aim to contribute to both safety and reliability in autonomous driving, while also delivering a powerful experience leveraging entertainment in the mobility space."
Source
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed