Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2020, 17:15   #16
BHPian

Re: Mumbai to Ahmedabad in the Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappex View Post
Any help or guidance will be appreciated on how to minimise the time/expense in doing this. I have no idea about the existence of fast charging on this route.
Best way to 'extend' the range is to do a lot of 'lift and coast' and anticipate braking zones, just like we do even in ICE vehicles! Also don't use the Sport mode (an obvious one). According to Autocar, real world range is expected to be in the 200-220 kms region against ARAI tested 300 kms. The real world range per kwh is very close to that of the Nissan Leaf (270 kms/40 kWh).
ds.raikkonen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 19:01   #17
BHPian

Quote:

If I want to order an extension cord, will the 2.5 mm core wire suffice or something thicker is required?
One thing I have heard is that rather than getting a extension box which will connect from the 15 Amp socket to the portable, it may be a better option to get a iec 62196 type, EVSE extension cable.

It is expensive, costs about $100, but they are better. Plus if we ever get public charging stations in India(wishful thinking), you can use them to charge directly out of a Type 2 slot.
mohanphadnis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 19:59   #18
BHPian

Few tips I can think of to maximize your range.

Maintain speeds lower than ICE cars. Nothing kills range faster than high speeds. The urge to drive faster will be very hard to control but keep reminding yourself that what matters is total door-to-door time and not how fast you reach next charging station and waste time there. Just putting out some hypothetical numbers because real world performance is unknown yet. If you drive slower (say 55-60 kmph) and are able to extract 275 km range, then you only need one 8-hour charging stop. If you are driving faster (80-100 kmph), and are able to extract only 175-200 km range, then you will need 16-20 hours of charging time. This is assuming only slow charging is available everywhere and you will not have DC fast chargers. If Tata installs DC fast chargers, then plan speeds and stops per DC fast chargers.

Whatever speed you choose (55/65/75), try to maintain a steady speed as much as possible, and reduce necessity to slowdown and accelerate. When you do need to accelerate, be gentle on the accelerator.

If you decide to go slow like 55 kmph, try drafting a big rig truck (while still maintaining safe distance). Find a big container truck that is doing same speeds, and drive behind the truck. The truck needs to be big enough to create a slipstream for you. EV drivers are divided on this practice but from personal experience, this helps.

Good Luck. Driving long distances is exciting and scary for first few trips. But once you figure out the range of the car, the driving techniques etc, you will be very comfortable.
Comrade is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 20:56   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
.. buy a portable generator powered by petrol for emergency situations, refill it on the way on a petrol bunk while recharging your car.
Charging from a 15A socket is quite slow. So how long to run this generator to get sufficient charge ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Maintain speeds lower than ICE cars. Nothing kills range faster than high speeds.
In one of the threads, one of our fellow members had observed the charge consumed being less at about 80kmph. He said - something similar to cruising at 80 kmph.

I havent driven an EV, so I dont know. Would like to know which EV's you have driven - and how they behaved. Agreed, fast accerlations and sport mode type driving likely to drain battery faster.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 21:19   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Would like to know which EV's you have driven - and how they behaved.
Over long distances, I have experienced only two cars. Tesla Model S and Model X. We could maximize range if travelled at 55 mph (truck speed in the US). If we kept up with ICE cars (70-80 mph), range used to drop significantly (40-50 miles). The cars consumed even less Wh/mile if we travelled at 40 mph but then it was tough to drive at such low speeds considering truckers will overtake you and give nasty glances, its tough to maintain consistent speed as you are not with traffic flow, and you wont be able to cover lot of distance at such speeds. We still drove at 70-80 mph due to Tesla's supercharger network but during initial days, there were only two supercharger stations between SF and LA (Harris Ranch and Tejon Ranch) and on one such trip in early days, I had to reduce speed to 55 mph to reach next supercharger.
Comrade is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 21:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Charging from a 15A socket is quite slow. So how long to run this generator to get sufficient charge ?

I donot know the power rating of the fast charger of Nexon hence cannot comment on this. But, keeping in mind the sparse infrastructure of EV charging stations, something similar like power banks (as available in western countries) for recharging the car should be released in India too which can be carried anywhere.
Old 22nd January 2020, 22:12   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
I donot know the power rating of the fast charger of Nexon hence cannot comment on this...
Carrying a petrol /fuel based portable generator to charge an EV is the stuff of memes, and there are many going around. OP has already said it's counter-intuitive.
Old 22nd January 2020, 23:08   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I had two questions in mind:

How long will the trickle charge from a standard 15A outlet take?

If I want to order an extension cord, will the 2.5 mm core wire suffice or something thicker is required?
Just curious - what are all these charge points on the route from Mumbai to Ahmedabad?
https://nexonev.tatamotors.com/charging-locator/

Are these not active? Do they not have charging cables? You are dealing with a lot of energy here, I would not mess around with my own cables. You can never be sure what ambient conditions they were tested with. If the cables are supplied by Tata/Nexon you can't have them blame the cables - if something goes wrong.

Quote:
Over long distances, I have experienced only two cars. Tesla Model S and Model X. We could maximize range if travelled at 55 mph (truck speed in the US). If we kept up with ICE cars (70-80 mph), range used to drop significantly (40-50 miles). The cars consumed even less Wh/mile if we travelled at 40 mph but then it was tough to drive at such low speeds considering truckers will overtake you and give nasty glances, its tough to maintain consistent speed as you are not with traffic flow, and you wont be able to cover lot of distance at such speeds. We still drove at 70-80 mph due to Tesla's supercharger network but during initial days, there were only two supercharger stations between SF and LA (Harris Ranch and Tejon Ranch) and on one such trip in early days, I had to reduce speed to 55 mph to reach next supercharger.
Glad to see someone speak of real experiences, but I am curious to know if the 40-50 mile reduction is what is shown in the instantaneous energy chart on the dash, or overall range? If it is overall range, what was the Model S battery capacity and overall range?

I have had my Model3 Long range for close to 2 years now. The rated range is 310miles and I have gotten 280 miles going 70 to 75 mph driving east from the CA coast towards Phoenix AZ. With full on AC in blazing AZ heat. There are superchargers every 50miles (on interstates). There is no such thing called as range anxiety for Tesla owners in CA. SF to LA is one of the routes with the best supercharger coverage. There are a ton of them.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 22nd January 2020 at 23:39. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!
GutsyGibbon is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 23:53   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
curious to know if the 40-50 mile reduction is what is shown in the instantaneous energy chart on the dash, or overall range? If it is overall range, what was the Model S battery capacity and overall range?
I had 2014 85KWh rated at 265 miles. In summer of 2018, I travelled across the US in this car. By then the battwry had degraded to 250 miles (30000 miles on odo). If we stuck to 80mph, we used to get about 210 miles actual range. On some of the legs, especially in UT and TX, we had to use 100% available range, and reduce speeds to 60-70 mph to reach next supercharger.

Our first trip in a Tesla was Tesla's engineering (R&D) car (Model S 85kwh) that my wife got for a weekend in December 2013. She used to work in Tesla IT. We planned to drive to San Diego for the long weekend, and started from our home in Pleasanton with a stated range of 165 miles. Harris ranch was just 150 miles from our home. By the time we crossed tracy and reached las banos, the stated range went below distance to be covered. Tesla was testing Auto Pilot at that time, and the car duely notified to reduce speed to reach destination. We panicked and reduced speed considerably (40mph) but just couldn't drive the car in a sane manner. Then we decided to try and keep up with the trucks (55 mph), and switched off everything (AC, Music etc). Somehow managed to reach harris ranch with stated range of 5 miles. Imagine using an EV for first time (that too an engineering loaner) over long distance, and experiencing range anxiety. That was an experience. After this leg, we stuck to 65-70 mph for entire trip and had no hiccups in completing the round trip.

Edit: Tesla has come a long way since our drive in Dec 2013 in accurately estimating the range, battery technology and management within car, powertrain efficiency etc. Model 3 is at least 2-3 gens ahead in iterations compared to 2012 model S.

Last edited by Comrade : 23rd January 2020 at 00:04.
Comrade is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 23:58   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Just curious - what are all these charge points on the route from Mumbai to Ahmedabad?
https://nexonev.tatamotors.com/charging-locator/

Are these not active? Do they not have charging cables? You are dealing with a lot of energy here, I would not mess around with my own cables. You can never be sure what ambient conditions they were tested with. If the cables are supplied by Tata/Nexon you can't have them blame the cables - if something goes wrong.
If you select Gujarat in the drop-down of the states there are two options, this data is unreliable. I was reading on other apps that they charge upwards of ₹100 per hour for a 15 A socket.

I intend on using the cable that comes with the car and will get an extension cable that Tata will approve, unplanned electric points are generally located far away. Be it restaurants or overnight hotels.

While Milind and Ankita (YouTube) were driving the Nexon EV towards Leh/Ladakh they resorted to very poor quality extenders to get the car powered up.

Mumbai to Ahmedabad in the Nexon EV-img_5715min.png

Mumbai to Ahmedabad in the Nexon EV-img_5716min.png

Mumbai to Ahmedabad in the Nexon EV-img_5717min.png

Mumbai to Ahmedabad in the Nexon EV-img_5718min.png

Mumbai to Ahmedabad in the Nexon EV-img_5719min.png

The extension just needs to support 15 A current, which should be doable.

Mumbai to Ahmedabad in the Nexon EV-81wf0apg08l._sl1500_.jpg

I am planning to get something similar to this one

That said, I fully understand your concern. I will be super careful

Last edited by Zappex : 23rd January 2020 at 00:21. Reason: Added pics
Zappex is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 00:20   #26
BHPian

Quote:

The extension just needs to support 15 A current, which should be doable.
You can rig up your extension cable if you are DIY kinds. Just buy below material and make one.

- 3 bundles of 2.5 sqmm (one each of red, black and green for color coding) Cu wiring from good make like finolex. If you want to go overboard, you can buy 4 sq mm.
- 15 amp male, female, and switch of good make like anchor.
- 3 model plastic box and face plate to house 15 amp female and switch.

I had come up with many such extension cables in the US when I had to charge from variety of outlets like electric clothes dryer or electric stove etc.

Edit: just saw your pics. I meant Same but longer than 15M with safety override (manual switch or even an mcb)

Last edited by Comrade : 23rd January 2020 at 00:22.
Comrade is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 00:30   #27
BHPian

Quote:

Edit: just saw your pics. I meant Same but longer than 15M with safety override (manual switch or even an mcb)
We seem to be on the same page

Planning to get a cable which is 40 M - 50 M long

I came across this device:

Mumbai to Ahmedabad in the Nexon EV-814eif94cpl._sl1500_.jpg

Mumbai to Ahmedabad in the Nexon EV-91p0bhp8vbl._sl1500_.jpg

Mumbai to Ahmedabad in the Nexon EV-910bl7lrudl._sl1500_.jpg

I think it will work well for the intended purpose
Zappex is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 08:41   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I came across this device:
I am using two of these at home for appliances - using them instead of conventional stabilizers. Good ones, and the newer one is faster while the older one takes 5 minutes of "observation" of the supply health before it switches on. Go for it.

The ones I have plug in directly into the wall socket - so there is no cable like what is shown here in the pic. Handier than this one, I'd say.

Last edited by condor : 23rd January 2020 at 08:42.
Old 23rd January 2020, 09:55   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Spot on! I am relocating to Ahmedabad till October
Then can't you simply request Tata Motors to deliver the new car there? Registration could be a short term issue till you come back, but then you will get some breathing time to figure out your return journey.
PearlJam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 10:31   #30
Senior - BHPian

whilst on the journey please keep one thing in mind. Unlike and ICE engine that is most efficient when cruising at a constant speed, in an EV if you cruise at a constant speed it actually depletes charge faster. Braking is generally regenerative in most EVs (not sure about nexon) that will result in battery getting charged when you brake. Hence IMHO EVs with current tech and infra are not the best highway cruisers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks