Team-BHP > Electric Cars


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2020, 10:33   #31
BHPian
 
Torq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: MH12, MH06
Posts: 136
Thanked: 404 Times
Default Re: Mumbai to Ahmedabad in the Nexon EV

Best luck for the maiden journey!
Plan well, and do post a detailed travelogue. Do tweet to the higher ups at Tata. They will definitely help!
Also, don't forget to carry towing straps. Just in case.
Torq is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 11:50   #32
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 84
Thanked: 91 Times
Default Re: Mumbai to Ahmedabad in the Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq View Post
Best luck for the maiden journey!
Do tweet to the higher ups at Tata. They will definitely help!
.

Its a new product from Tata's stable, atleast for the initially months, I believe everyone will be curious and will also be helpful.

Also, I think as a part of training and marketing for their prospective customers and staff, Tata Motors Showrooms and Service centers (atleast in Major cities) would have the infrastructure setup done by then.
shashi792 is offline  
Old 23rd January 2020, 11:57   #33
BHPian
 
XRoader_001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Patiala
Posts: 115
Thanked: 396 Times
Default Re: Mumbai to Ahmedabad in the Nexon EV

That's the way forward adventure and range anxiety go hand in hand someone had to do it, isn't it? Tata Motors can help you on dc fast charging you can very well expect a range of 250-230 km if you keep urself around 80-90 km/h in D mode not on S mode. Make overnight stops as per your charging comfort, you will be given a portable charger just like you charge your laptop it works very well. My two friends own ekona and they are getting 370-390 km range on highway , driving in comfort mode with regenerative braking at level 2 ,speeds between 80-90 km/h. Which is of course less than the official Arai claimed 452 km range. I Wish you all the luck and do keep us posted.

Last edited by XRoader_001 : 23rd January 2020 at 12:03.
XRoader_001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 13:06   #34
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 29
Thanked: 131 Times
Default Re: Mumbai to Ahmedabad in the Nexon EV

I would advise to assume a range of 200km. Nobody likes the anxiety of draining the battery till zero. Plus it is bad for the batteries. For lithium the healthy range is between 20 to 80%. That being said, consider these points
  • Do not take any heavy luggage on the trip. Any added load will definitely reduce the range. Just like ICE vehicles consume more fuel with load.
  • Try to limit the passengers to further reduce load.
  • Maintain around 70-80 kmph.
  • Carry an extension cable rated for 16amps. It has a larger plug which needs the larger socket.
  • Keep handy numbers of flatbed operators just in case. They should operate in those areas where you foresee range anxiety.
  • Buying the petrol generator is not advisable as those with higher current rating are at least 1.5 lakhs. Renting it could be an option. But that's counterintuitive as others have said.
  • Try to limit the car functions like AC which consume more power. The weather is good on this route nowadays.
  • Maintain proper tyre pressure, slightly on the higher side which might increase the range slightly.
  • If faced with a traffic jam, take a break with the nearest eatery if possible. Traffic jams reduced range a lot. Google maps warns about traffic jams coming up.
Last but not the least, share your experience. Good with your journey.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd January 2020 at 13:14.
TheCatalyst is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 13:55   #35
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 223
Thanked: 715 Times
Default Re: Mumbai to Ahmedabad in the Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatalyst View Post
If faced with a traffic jam, take a break with the nearest eatery if possible. Traffic jams reduced range a lot. Google maps warns about traffic jams coming up.
This does not apply to EV, slow moving traffic has minimal impact on range, and City range is higher than highway range.
DarthVeda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 14:01   #36
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 60,125
Thanked: 192,467 Times
Default Re: Mumbai to Ahmedabad in the Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatalyst View Post
I would advise to assume a range of 200km.
I am inclined to agree with this (at least until we test the Nexon EV). Hence, to make the journey comfortable, you will require TWO charging breaks.

Leave early in the morning on day 1, complete the initial 200 km in 3 - 4 hours, then charge the car from 1000 - 1700 hours and drive for ~150 km till dinner time. Next is an overnight sleepover + full charge and complete the rest of the journey.

Another option is to leave in the evening, complete 200 km and sleep + full charge. Next morning, do 200 km and then take a break while the battery gets 150 km of top-up.

You'll need to plan your charging points along the route accordingly. Talk to the hotels / restaurants, although I don't see much of an issue if planned properly. 100 - 200 bucks in tips go a long way in India. God help you if there is a power cut in small highway towns though .

Will be a heck of an experience for sure. Please do share a detailed travelogue with us

I could recommend a car carrier / moving company to you, but it is obvious you want to do this adventure, so be it!

Last edited by GTO : 23rd January 2020 at 14:03.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 14:26   #37
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 29
Thanked: 131 Times
Default Re: Mumbai to Ahmedabad in the Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
This does not apply to EV, slow moving traffic has minimal impact on range, and City range is higher than highway range.
You might be correct. I do not have any data to substantiate my claim. However I went by the logic that in a traffic jam the distance covered is much less(per unit time), whereas all the secondary systems( AC, lights, electronics etc) are still consuming power at the same rate. Thus consuming more battery.
TheCatalyst is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 14:29   #38
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Pune
Posts: 70
Thanked: 164 Times
Default Re: Mumbai to Ahmedabad in the Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatalyst View Post
You might be correct. I do not have any data to substantiate my claim. However I went by the logic that in a traffic jam the distance covered is much less(per unit time), whereas all the secondary systems( AC, lights, electronics etc) are still consuming power at the same rate. Thus consuming more battery.

Accessory power consumption is a very small fraction of the power required for the motor to move the vehicle. EVs are quite efficient in slow speeds and in city.
ohaak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 14:30   #39
BHPian
 
Zappex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 245
Thanked: 385 Times
Default Re: Mumbai to Ahmedabad in the Nexon EV

Quick update:

I had a word with the Tata Motors representative for the Nexon EV at the dealership.

Initially, they do not have any plans of fast chargers along the Mumbai-Ahmedabad route. They have planned for fast charging stations in Mumbai and Ahemdabad both. They will be installed by early next month. I have requested the higher-ups to allow me to charge at the dealership with a 15 A point, they are yet to get back to me regarding this.

Regarding the extension cable: The executive confirmed that I should use the 4 SQMM 3 core copper cable with 25A switch and socket for safety. I plan on getting this made ASAP.

Tata Power has also assigned a service manager who will visit this weekend to inspect the parking for installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I am using two of these at home for appliances - using them instead of conventional stabilizers. Good ones, and the newer one is faster while the older one takes 5 minutes of "observation" of the supply health before it switches on. Go for it.
That is reassuring, the fact that it auto starts when the voltage is normal is a big plus. An MCB would disrupt the charging and I would have to fix it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Then can't you simply request Tata Motors to deliver the new car there? Registration could be a short term issue till you come back, but then you will get some breathing time to figure out your return journey.
I need to get the car registered in Mumbai for future usage, I would prefer driving rather than getting it transported. I would not want to drive the car without registration under any circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
whilst on the journey please keep one thing in mind. Unlike and ICE engine that is most efficient when cruising at a constant speed, in an EV if you cruise at a constant speed it actually depletes charge faster. Braking is generally regenerative in most EVs (not sure about nexon) that will result in battery getting charged when you brake. Hence IMHO EVs with current tech and infra are not the best highway cruisers.
While I agree about the depletion during highway drives, everything I have discussed/come across points towards driving at a slower pace aiding the range. That said, all cars behave differently I will need to get accustomed to the driving behavior required to maximize the range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq View Post
Best luck for the maiden journey!
Plan well, and do post a detailed travelogue. Do tweet to the higher ups at Tata. They will definitely help!
Also, don't forget to carry towing straps. Just in case.
Your reminder was a savior, I will be investing in a good towing strap along with the extension. I do plan to connecting with some higher up in due course of time. As of now just interacting with the executive from the Tata Motors plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi792 View Post
.

Its a new product from Tata's stable, atleast for the initially months, I believe everyone will be curious and will also be helpful.

Also, I think as a part of training and marketing for their prospective customers and staff, Tata Motors Showrooms and Service centers (atleast in Major cities) would have the infrastructure setup done by then.
I hope they do that for all dealerships, as of now they plan on setting up fast charging only for the major ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRoader_001 View Post
That's the way forward adventure and range anxiety go hand in hand someone had to do it, isn't it?
Well said! I will have to drive in a sedate manner and see what the car returns, might halt at Daman if I am anxious but planning to attempt Mumbai-Surat in one go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatalyst View Post
I would advise to assume a range of 200km. Nobody likes the anxiety of draining the battery till zero. Plus it is bad for the batteries. For lithium the healthy range is between 20 to 80%. That being said, consider these points
  • Do not take any heavy luggage on the trip. Any added load will definitely reduce the range. Just like ICE vehicles consume more fuel with load.
  • Try to limit the passengers to further reduce load.
  • Maintain around 70-80 kmph.
  • Carry an extension cable rated for 16amps. It has a larger plug which needs the larger socket.
Thank you for sharing this list, it is nicely summarised. Most of this has been on my mind. Hope to share the experience soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
This does not apply to EV, slow moving traffic has minimal impact on range, and City range is higher than highway range.
It should have a minimal impact due to regen but the AC will still use up the power depleting the range.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 24th January 2020 at 02:11. Reason: Trimming quoted post
Zappex is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 14:59   #40
BHPian
 
bajica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 40
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Mumbai to Ahmedabad in the Nexon EV

This would be an interesting ride for all those who are waiting on sidelines before buying an EV.

Can you let us know the tentative date of your travel?

Actually during winter time, night time drives on NH48 would be very relaxing to drive and would not require much usage of the AC, but then the downside can be the usage of the headlights which can probably reduce the range.

So probably an early morning start as stated by GTO would help. First stop can be between Vapi (around 150 Km) and Navsari (around 191 Km), while the next stop could be in between Bharuch (320 Km) and Karjan (360 KM). After Karjan, distance to Ahmedabad is 150.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 24th January 2020 at 02:11. Reason: spacing
bajica is offline  
Old 23rd January 2020, 15:06   #41
BHPian
 
Zappex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 245
Thanked: 385 Times
Default Re: Mumbai to Ahmedabad in the Nexon EV

Assuming the car has 200 kms range and takes 10 hours to charge (Anything faster than this is a bonus)

The slow charger will add 20 kms per hour

As of now, the idea is to leave at night.

Mumbai to Daman: ~150 kms

Reach and put the car on charge for about ~7.5 hours (10:00 PM to 5:30 AM)

Daman to Surat: ~120 kms

Reach and put the car on charge for about ~6 hours (8:00 AM to 2:00 PM)

Surat to Vadodara: ~150 kms

Reach and put the car on charge for about ~5 hours (6:00 PM to 11:00 PM)

Vadodara to Ahmedabad: ~120 kms

Reach in 2 more hours and forget about anxiety

The later part of the plan depends on whether Tata Motors will let me use their dealerships to charge the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I am inclined to agree with this (at least until we test the Nexon EV). Hence, to make the journey comfortable, you will require TWO charging breaks.
Two will be the bare minimum, might need three if I don't top up from zero and want to make it anxiety-free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Leave early in the morning on day 1, complete the initial 200 km in 3 - 4 hours, then charge the car from 1000 - 1700 hours and drive for ~150 km till dinner time. Next is an overnight sleepover + full charge and complete the rest of the journey.
I am less inclined to do this, just to optimize time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Another option is to leave in the evening, complete 200 km and sleep + full charge. Next morning, do 200 km and then take a break while the battery gets 150 km of top-up.
More inclined to do this, I call pull in off in 24 hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You'll need to plan your charging points along the route accordingly. Talk to the hotels / restaurants, although I don't see much of an issue if planned properly. 100 - 200 bucks in tips go a long way in India. God help you if there is a power cut in small highway towns though .
If Tata Motors does not allow me to charge (Unlikely)

I will remember this 'tip'

Power cuts: I cannot imagine that scenario! (It is less likely due to the places I have selected)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Will be a heck of an experience for sure. Please do share a detailed travelogue with us
Yes! It is turning out to be just that. Will try to cover all the details. I will have time on hand. Live updates throughout the day might be more engaging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I could recommend a car carrier / moving company to you, but it is obvious you want to do this adventure, so be it!
Even if I take you up on that, I might regret having not having this experience!

Last edited by Zappex : 23rd January 2020 at 15:15.
Zappex is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 15:10   #42
BHPian
 
Zappex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 245
Thanked: 385 Times
Default Re: Mumbai to Ahmedabad in the Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajica View Post
This would be an interesting ride for all those who are waiting on sidelines before buying an EV.


Can you let us know the tentative date of your travel?
The dealership is telling me that the deliveries will start after 15th February 2020

I can presume, I will do this towards the end of that month.

Last edited by Zappex : 23rd January 2020 at 15:13.
Zappex is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 16:00   #43
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 12,905
Thanked: 8,445 Times
Default Re: Mumbai to Ahmedabad in the Nexon EV

Zappex, go for it ! That will be one memorable drive and one with lot of attention all the way. You are getting an opportunity something unique like this, so why let it pass ?

Here in Bangalore, the state Electric company offices are setting up charging stations. If possible, do check if any such facilities are there along the way.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 16:21   #44
BHPian
 
Zappex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 245
Thanked: 385 Times
Default Re: Mumbai to Ahmedabad in the Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Zappex, go for it ! That will be one memorable drive and one with lot of attention all the way. You are getting an opportunity something unique like this, so why let it pass ?

Here in Bangalore, the state Electric company offices are setting up charging stations. If possible, do check if any such facilities are there along the way.
Appreciate the support and encouragement!

I am yet to discover this, apart from a few apps like ReCharge India the information is sparse. I hope there is a database with live updates on the charging network usage in the future.

Do share any info you come across about this
Zappex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 16:45   #45
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,872
Thanked: 1,744 Times
Default Re: Mumbai to Ahmedabad in the Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Can't help remarking: You haven't got the car yet, and range anxiety has set in already!
It is no different from planning fuel stops for an internal combustion engine-ed car in areas like Spiti/Leh where fuel pumps are not easy to come by
cool_dube is online now   (3) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks