Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2020, 21:12   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai to Ahmedabad in the Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappex View Post
I do plan on sharing the travelogue, it is bound to be an adventurous one.
Happy milemunching.

Will you be travelling alone?

One unknown which no one has mentioned - the accuracy of the range indicator.

You might not have time to install a dashcam with internal camera. But please do mount a smartphone and set it up to record your actions and emotions as you roll along.

Have you thought of asking TaMo for sponsorship?

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 2nd February 2020 at 21:15.
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 15:29   #77
BHPian

Update:

Dealer is hinting at a delayed delivery for the top-end variant

I have raised the issue regarding waiver of excess charges (Handling, Insurance, etc) with Tata Motors

Awaiting a response on the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Will you be travelling alone?
Few friends have shown interest to accompany me but it depends on the delivery date. As of now, this will be a solo trip.

Quote:
One unknown which no one has mentioned - the accuracy of the range indicator.
Great point, it changes with the driving style and may sharpy drop. I'm counting on it to make this trip work.

Quote:
You might not have time to install a dashcam with internal camera. But please do mount a smartphone and set it up to record your actions and emotions as you roll along.
The lack of fast charging infrastructure might give me a significant amount of time to do the above. I intend on recording everything and sharing it, as it might be insightful for many.

Quote:
Have you thought of asking TaMo for sponsorship?
Might consider taking this up once the car is delivered

I would be glad if they provide me fast chargers along the route
Zappex is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 15:58   #78
BHPian

Yesterday, I came across review of Nexon EV on You-Tube by a well known car portal.They were full of praises for Nexon EV, Be it ride, handling, interiors or exteriors.

Now the main point, Kitna Deti Hai.

Conclusion: If you drive normally at 60-80 KMPH, The practical range achieved was 210-220 KM. Most of it was on highway, so regenerative breaking effect was negligible. In city driving, 10-20% range may increase on account of regenerative breaking.

If you drive on sports mode, then the range may go down to 160-170 KMs.
RahuKetu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 16:02   #79
BHPian

I visited the showroom at Ahmedabad, the test drive car did not have a sufficient charge due to high interest and multiple walk-in customers.

The sport mode cannot be engaged below 25% of charge.

So did not get to experience the pickup, suspension seemed to have become slightly firmer.

When compared to the current Nexon, the interior fit and finish has taken a leap forward.

Mumbai to Ahmedabad in the Nexon EV-img_6122.jpg

They seem to have a fast charger installed and ready for use

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahuKetu View Post
Conclusion: If you drive normally at 60-80 KMPH, The practical range achieved was 210-220 KM. Most of it was on highway, so regenerative breaking effect was negligible. In city driving, 10-20% range may increase on account of regenerative breaking.

If you drive on sports mode, then the range may go down to 160-170 KMs.
My idea is to test the car while maintaining speed in few different conditions:
  • 40 KM/H and AC on/off

I believe upwards of ~300 km is possible

• 60 KM/H and AC on/off

I believe upwards of ~250 km is possible

• 80 KM/H and AC on/off

I believe close to ~200 km is possible
The Mumbai-Ahmedabad journey will allow me to calculate and experience these figures first hand.

Last edited by Zappex : 3rd February 2020 at 16:12.
Zappex is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 20:47   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahuKetu View Post
In city driving, 10-20% range may increase on account of regenerative breaking.
No. Higher speed = higher drag = more energy = less range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautam109 View Post
Again, regen braking should be used only when you actually need to slow down. The energy created by regen is less than the energy expended in getting back up to speed. So mere act of accelerating & slowing (via regen) & accelerating again for no good reason, will not help you. (There's is no such thing as a "free lunch", nor free energy).
Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 23:58   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq View Post
Best luck for the maiden journey!
Plan well, and do post a detailed travelogue. Do tweet to the higher ups at Tata. They will definitely help!
Also, don't forget to carry towing straps. Just in case.
I may be wrong but it is my understanding that it is difficult to tow an electric vehicle. Unlike ICE vehicles which can be put into neutral and the wheels are free, an EV does not go into neutral. This essentially means that you will struggle to tow it and risk causing damage to the vehicle.
Old 4th February 2020, 09:32   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
I may be wrong but it is my understanding that it is difficult to tow an electric vehicle. Unlike ICE vehicles which can be put into neutral and the wheels are free, an EV does not go into neutral. This essentially means that you will struggle to tow it and risk causing damage to the vehicle.
EVs can be put on neutral in its gear selector. It will bypass the regen circuit on the motor and the wheels will be free to rotate.
Holyghost is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 09:43   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I visited the showroom at Ahmedabad.
A little OT, but a very shoddy efforts on installation of the charger. It appears as if some local guy has done the wiring and there is no guidelines from TATA. The least they could have done was to check some of the other brands from Korea if not Tesla.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 09:59   #84
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
A little OT, but a very shoddy efforts on installation of the charger. It appears as if some local guy has done the wiring and there is no guidelines from TATA. The least they could have done was to check some of the other brands from Korea if not Tesla.
Agree. Though it may get the work done, these kind of things dilute the brand, just working is not enough they should give attention to each and every thing to build the brand image.
Old 4th February 2020, 23:18   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
EVs can be put on neutral in its gear selector. It will bypass the regen circuit on the motor and the wheels will be free to rotate.
I know for a fact that not all EV's can be put into neutral. Some just have a forward and reverse gear. I remember reading an article or possibly watching a YouTube video a while back about some electric car that needed to be towed on a flatbed after running out of charge. I would suggest that OP check on this with Tata and plan accordingly.
Old 13th February 2020, 08:44   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My idea is to test the car while maintaining speed in few different conditions:

The Mumbai-Ahmedabad journey will allow me to calculate and experience these figures first hand.
Zappex, when is D-Day ?

I was thinking of one point, and tried to find info on it - but havent got any responses to my satisfaction. I sometimes drive a TC equipped Automatic, and in that I intermittently let go off the accelerator while the car continues to maintain it's speed for a fair distance. Wanted to suggest this to you - that you try this and see the battery usage. And compare the usage if accelerator is used constantly. Another point is anticipative slowing-down based on traffic up front.

I have not driven an EV, so the above points may not work.

Worst case, if charge runs low suddenly, your car having warranty, Tata will have to support you in taking it to the nearest ASS for a charge-up.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 09:11   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Another point is anticipative slowing-down based on traffic up front.
While this is undoubtedly a good point, I'm a bit worried by the implications of slowing down without passing on a warning to vehicles behind me through my brake-lights. I often rely on the brake-lights of the car in front of me, and invariably tap on my brakes a few feet ahead of schedule to alert those behind me of my imminent slowing down, and am not sure how it'll work if I switch to EVs and this method of driving. I fear with this extra-strong regen level in the Nexon EV there'll be a few front bumpers kissing my car's, er, behind.
Old 13th February 2020, 09:20   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punatic View Post
While this is undoubtedly a good point, I'm a bit worried by the implications of slowing down without passing on a warning to vehicles behind me through my brake-lights... I often rely on the brake-lights of the car in front of me, and invariably tap on my brakes a few feet ahead of schedule to alert those behind me of my imminent slowing down
I was referring to a more gradual stop/slowing down - using the brakes. What you have shared is very important - a heads-up to the car behind is very much required.

When in traffic, it is not practical or possible to coast to a stop. What I have found is gradual stops and gradual pick-up help extend the life of brake pads, and reduce fuel consumption in an ICE car. Would definitely try this when I drive an EV. I can be wrong on this concept being even applicable to an EV, but still sharing.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 10:30   #89
Senior - BHPian

I think in some EVs the brake light comes up when in regen. Need to see how Tata has implemented in Nexon.

It would be nice if the regen is low (at high SOC) then brake lights are off and when regen is high (at low SOC) the brake lights come up.

When I took the TD the SOC(State of charge) is at 97% and the car is coasting.
SKC-auto is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 14:57   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I sometimes drive a TC equipped Automatic, and in that I intermittently let go off the accelerator while the car continues to maintain it's speed for a fair distance. Wanted to suggest this to you - that you try this and see the battery usage. And compare the usage if accelerator is used constantly. Another point is anticipative slowing-down based on traffic up front.
Letting go off the accelerator to enable regen is not a good idea for maximizing range. Using regen instead of brakes increases your range, but using regen for no apparent reason actually reduces your range by a considerable margin.
Slow acceleration and a constant speed (speeds at which the EV is comparably efficient) are the best way to extract maximum range in any EVs. The slower the speed, the higher the range. For my E2O, I have found that 40-45KMPH is the sweet spot in terms of efficiency and I always overshoot my range of 80 KMs when driven at those speeds. Many a times I have gone to Blr Airport which is a 60KM round trip and I reach home with more than 30KM range left when driven sedately around 50 kmph.
According to MG brochure, MG ZS EV at 60kmph gives a range of 428KMs and Youtuber Bjorn drove ZS EV at 37kmph for 500KMs.

Similarly for Nexon, there will be a sweet spot where you can extract the maximum range and can even go well beyond 300KM published range. It is just a matter of getting used to the car and monitoring the Wh usage at different speeds. There will be a gradual increase in power consumption WRT speed until a certain speed after which the consumption shoots up exponentially. We should aim to keep the speeds below that point.
I am yet to test drive the Nexon, despite putting in a test drive request 2 weeks ago. I will try to test the power consumption at different speeds when I get a test drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
I know for a fact that not all EV's can be put into neutral. Some just have a forward and reverse gear. I remember reading an article or possibly watching a YouTube video a while back about some electric car that needed to be towed on a flatbed after running out of charge. I would suggest that OP check on this with Tata and plan accordingly.
The EVs available so far in India including Nexon has a proper N than can be selected via the gear selector. The towing complexity involves when you run out of charge and especially if you drain your 12v battery too in which case you cant even shift the gear to N. In such cases, flat bed is the only option. If only your main battery is drained, you will not have any reserve energy for your power steering and other systems such a brake boosters to function while towing, but it wont be different from towing an ICE car whose engine doesn't start. I believe Tesla has some system to power these functions using a very low regen mode while towing and hence a special Tow mode for that car.

Last edited by Holyghost : 13th February 2020 at 15:04.
Holyghost is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks