Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2020, 20:55   #1
BHPian

Mumbai to Ahmedabad in the Nexon EV

I will be getting the car next month and I plan to drive it from Mumbai to Ahmedabad (~530 kms total)

Mumbai to Surat: ~260 kms

Surat to Ahmedabad: ~270 kms

I have the option to take a detour at Boisar (~100 kms from my starting point) and slow charge at my relatives place

Mumbai to Boisar: ~100 kms

Boisar to Surat: ~210 kms

Surat to Ahmedabad: ~270 kms

Any help or guidance will be appreciated on how to minimise the time/expense in doing this. I have no idea about the existence of fast charging on this route.

Mods: Please move this thread to the relevant section if required

Last edited by Zappex : 21st January 2020 at 21:03. Reason: Distance updated
Zappex is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 21:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai to Ahmedabad in the Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappex View Post
I will be getting the car next month and I plan to drive it from Mumbai to Ahmedabad (~530 kms total)
Best option is to talk to Tata Motors for providing a charging point at any of their service center or showrooms in Surat.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 21st January 2020 at 22:34. Reason: Trimmed the post within quotes. Thanks.
speedmiester is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 22:26   #3
BHPian

Found a friend in Daman who is willing to help out

Mumbai to Daman: ~150 kms

Daman to Surat: ~120 kms

A top up without much of a detour will ensure that I can comfortably make it to Surat

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Best option is to talk to Tata Motors for providing a charging point at any of their service center or showrooms in Surat.
Good suggestion, while this may work

Fast charging will be a necessity to save time

My main concern is Surat to Ahmedabad in one charge

The Tata service center in Vadodara might come in handy

Last edited by Zappex : 21st January 2020 at 22:51. Reason: Typo
Zappex is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 22:33   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Can't help remarking: You haven't got the car yet, and range anxiety has set in already!
SS-Traveller is offline   (99) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 22:41   #5
BHPian

You can talk to ABC motors - the Tata motors ASS in Vadodara if they could provide some charging equipment to you.

It is right on NH 8 which is better than going through the expressway, in my opinion.
msd7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 06:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Can't help remarking: You haven't got the car yet, and range anxiety has set in already!
It is not range anxiety. He is aware of the distances and the question is around charging infrastructure in one of the cities on his route between Mumbai and Ahmedabad
speedmiester is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 08:31   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I think you are pushing it and taking a car on something it's not really meant for. This is a brand new car with expected real-world range of 200 - 250 km on a 530 km trip. Unless you are relocating or need to take the car to GJ for a specific purpose, why bother? Why not just take a petrol / diesel car and comfortably do the journey instead?

If you still want to do it, my recommendation is you'll need an overnight stopover. The best time to charge EVs is while you're sleeping. Leave later in the day, reach Surat, sleep there & charge your car overnight, then continue onward.

Even so, you will be pushing it if the real-world range is 200 - 250 km. ARAI said the Kona's range is 452 km, but we got real-world range of ~300 km. According to ARAI, the Nexon's range is 312 km. The real-world is a big unknown.

Not to forget, because you are pushing it to the limit, you will suffer range anxiety and will be continuously monitoring the "range" indicator, driving in economy mode etc. I doubt anyone will enjoy this kind of a stressful drive.

If you still do it, be sure to share a travelogue .

Last edited by GTO : 22nd January 2020 at 08:33.
GTO is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 11:27   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
It is not range anxiety. He is aware of the distances and the question is around charging infrastructure in one of the cities on his route between Mumbai and Ahmedabad
Anxiety is part of the equation but I am trying to figure out the infrastructure for charging on the route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Unless you are relocating or need to take the car to GJ for a specific purpose, why bother? Why not just take a petrol / diesel car and comfortably do the journey instead?

If you still do it, be sure to share a travelogue .
Spot on! I am relocating to Ahmedabad till October

I do plan on sharing the travelogue, it is bound to be an adventurous one.

Last edited by Zappex : 22nd January 2020 at 11:29.
Zappex is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 12:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Surat, Bharuch, Vadodara, and Anand all of these cities have TATA showroom on National Highway itself. You can inquire with Tata Motors if all of them have a fast-charging facility or not.

If properly approached, Tata can help you in some way. After all, you will be the first retail customer who is going to go for this long drive by their EV.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th May 2020 at 06:04. Reason: Typo
SJM1214 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 13:22   #10
BANNED

instead of generator, you can plug in to any normal electric port for trickle charging. Any hotel will have 15A socket at their basement.
DarthVeda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 14:33   #11
BHPian

Last week saw a sign on the Highway " Proposed site for EV charging station" . Its approx 50km past Hotel Fountain on the Mumbai Ahmedabad highway. Am certain many minds are thinking of the same idea and look forward to a good network in the next couple of years.
clix22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 16:21   #12
BHPian

I had two questions in mind:

How long will the trickle charge from a standard 15A outlet take?

If I want to order an extension cord, will the 2.5 mm core wire suffice or something thicker is required?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Surat, Bharuch, Vadodara, and Anand all of these cities have TATA showroom on National Highway itself. You can inquire with Tata Motors if all of them have a fast-charging facility or not.

If properly approached, Tata can help you in some way. After all, you will be the first retail customer who is going for this long drive by their EV.
That’s something I will look into, even one fast charger along the route will make a ton of difference. Tata has not released any information about the network publicly. I believe it’s only available on the app that accompanies the Nexon EV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Not related to your trip, but my suggestion for you would be to research a little bit and buy a portable generator powered by petrol for emergency situations, refill it on the way on a petrol bunk while recharging your car.
That seems a little extreme and counter intuitive from a future EV owners perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
instead of generator, you can plug in to any normal electric port for trickle charging. Any hotel will have 15A socket at their basement.
This would be the only option in case everything else fails. I will need to buy an extension cord, although Tata does not recommend it. We just can’t be sure how far the point can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clix22 View Post
Last week saw a sign on the Highway " Proposed site for EV charging station" . Its approx 50km past Hotel Fountain on the Mumbai Ahmedabad highway. Am certain many minds are thinking of the same idea and look forward to a good network in the next couple of years.
I have seen that too, nothing seems to be operational though. Let’s hope I have some options in the future to come back home.

Last edited by Zappex : 22nd January 2020 at 16:23.
Zappex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 16:50   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappex View Post
I had two questions in mind:
How long will the trickle charge from a standard 15A outlet take?
If I want to order an extension cord, will the 2.5 mm core wire suffice or something thicker is required?
As per released specifications, standard 15A home charging will take 8 hours for full charge from 20% balance. So an overnight charge. Quite practical for routine usage.

If you are asking for this charging - 2.5sqmm cable with good copper like Polycab etc will be the correct specification. Do not go below that. What will also be important is your pins, contacts and sockets. Ensure that the equipment you use is rated for a sustained 15A supply over so many hours. Ordinary material heats up & burns out / melts with sustained high current application. The wiring right from source to your charging point will have to be same specification or better. (I'm sure you have thought about it all already considering you are one of the first few to take the leap of faith. Kudos mate.)

Last edited by Reinhard : 22nd January 2020 at 16:51.
Reinhard is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 17:04   #14
BANNED

Tata need to use TCS to improvise there app. They need to link real time range and give recommendation on app or car display with nearest fast charger. Also while at it use software to inform if the fast charger is healthy and free to plug in.
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 17:11   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
As per released specifications, standard 15A home charging will take 8 hours for full charge from 20% balance. So an overnight charge. Quite practical for routine usage.
I reconfirmed this with the dealership, the point Tata is installing at home is just a fancy 15 A box. So your estimate is correct.

Quote:
If you are asking for this charging - 2.5sqmm cable with good copper like Polycab etc will be the correct specification. Do not go below that. What will also be important is your pins, contacts and sockets. Ensure that the equipment you use is rated for a sustained 15A supply over so many hours. Ordinary material heats up & burns out / melts with sustained high current application. The wiring right from source to your charging point will have to be same specification or better.
I was thinking about the same thing but is 2.5 MM enough or should I go beyond that?

Found this on Amazon

Link

Quote:
(I'm sure you have thought about it all already considering you are one of the first few to take the leap of faith. Kudos mate.)
A lot of planning and thoughts so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
Also while at it use software to inform if the fast charger is healthy and free to plug in.
Great suggestions! I will try to forward these.
Zappex is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks