Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2020, 19:12   #1
BANNED

Japanese materials supplier showcases Asahi AKXY EV concept at Auto Expo 2020

Japanese materials supplier showcases Asahi AKXY EV concept at Auto Expo 2020-asahiakxyconceptfrontthreequarterviewautoexpocomponent2020.jpeg
Quote:
Japanese materials supplier, Asahi Kasei showcased the Asahi AKXY concept at the Auto Expo Component 2020. Asahi Kasei developed the concept in partnership with GLM, an electric vehicle manufacturer to showcase the use of its advanced materials and technology that can be adopted by other manufacturers.

The AKXY is a fully driveable electric concept that has been built using a wide variety (27 products in all) of Asahi Kasei materials, components, and systems. From engineering plastics that will replace metal enabling weight reduction, artificial suede for seats, and an in-car communication system with various speech processing technology, most of these materials and technology are available for adoption in mass-produced vehicles.

The concept car uses low-VOC Tenac polyacetal (POM) to improve air quality in the cabin, a panoramic roof using glass-reinforced Thermylene polypropylene, UV-resistant Leona polyamide for exterior mirror brackets and some interior applications, such as the thin-walled and unpainted blades of the dashboard venting system.

For sound insulation inside the car, Asahi Kasei has fitted the car with polyamide bead foam, the first of its kind as the company claims. The polyamide also has features such as high heat and chemical resistance and noise reduction.

Asahi Kasei has also equipped the car accident prevention technology that includes a contactless vital sign sensing system that will detect the pulse of drivers and CO2 sensors to monitor the in-car environment.
  • AKXY concept is fully driveable
  • Developed the concept with the help from GLM
  • The car is developed to showcase the use case/applications of Asahi Kasei's materials in automobiles
Source: ElectricVehicleWeb
Attached Thumbnails
Japanese materials supplier showcases Asahi AKXY EV concept at Auto Expo 2020-asahiakxyconceptrearthreequarterview2autoexpocomponent2020.jpeg  

Japanese materials supplier showcases Asahi AKXY EV concept at Auto Expo 2020-asahiakxyconceptrearthreequarterview1autoexpocomponent2020.jpeg  

Japanese materials supplier showcases Asahi AKXY EV concept at Auto Expo 2020-asahiakxyconceptrearviewautoexpocomponent2020.jpeg  

Japanese materials supplier showcases Asahi AKXY EV concept at Auto Expo 2020-asahiakxyconceptinteriorautoexpocomponent2020.jpeg  

wheelguy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 19:35   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Japanese materials supplier showcases Asahi AKXY EV concept at Auto Expo 2020

How do OEM vendors continue to be in business when they openly try to make inroads into their client’s domain? Why should Maruti or Tata continue to buy glass from Asahi when it is openly showing it has the ability to make prototype cars already? I mean, in my business and as a supplier, if my customer finds out I am trying to forward integrate, he’ll cut me out immediately.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 7th February 2020 at 19:37.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 19:42   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
How do OEM vendors continue to be in business when they openly try to make inroads into their client's domain? Why should Maruti or Tata continue to buy glass from Asahi when it is openly showing it has the ability to make prototype cars already? I mean, in my business and as a supplier, if my customer finds out I am trying to forward integrate, he'll cut me out immediately.
Every year Qualcomm builds a phone showcasing the best of it's processors and chipsets. But still all the manufacturers continue buying and using Qualcomm as their processor and chipset provider. The prototypes built are just a way to showcase their products in a coherent manner. They used a third party manufacturer to construct the vehicle and are clearly trying to market their various materials with a prototype built to show the best way their products can be integrated into the client's products. This is in no way an intention to start building cars just like Qualcomm's prototype phone isn't an indication that they are going to start making and selling phones.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 19:42   #4
Team-BHP Support

Re: Japanese materials supplier showcases Asahi AKXY EV concept at Auto Expo 2020

Quote:
How do OEM vendors continue to be in business when they openly try to make inroads into their client’s domain? Why should Maruti or Tata continue to buy glass from Asahi when it is openly showing it has the ability to make prototype cars already?
Building a car is only 10% of the story, I guess. Almost everyone is showcasing an electric car or bike these days.

Getting to mass produce it for a price, market and service it - that's the difficult part.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 09:05   #5
BHPian

Its more a case of Asahi trying to showcase the material tech that it has rather than a showcase of its EV or car design prowess.

What asahi is trying to say is that it can support car industry by providing low weight / high strength fiber glass body material.

Last edited by srini1785 : 8th February 2020 at 09:08.
srini1785 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 12:17   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Getting to mass produce it for a price, market and service it - that's the difficult part.
Only building it to price and creating a market for it i guess. eV servicing ? mmm, there is very little left to service in an eV. More so in 4WeV but too little in an 2W eV. Almost nothing to service, other than software may be.
groom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 12:56   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How do OEM vendors continue to be in business when they openly try to make inroads into their client’s domain?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Every year Qualcomm builds a phone showcasing the best of it's processors and chipsets.
You bet! A related thread on Sony's Electric Car.

And a related post from the same thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sony has giant ambition and has been aggressively looking for new businesses (I read that it actually considered exiting the non-profitable TV business).

Plus, let's not overlook how electric cars have lowered the barrier to entry. We have completely new car makers coming up, headed by people with zero to minimal experience in manufacturing.

If Sony just wanted to make imaging sensors, it could do so off a petrol-powered Toyota. IMHO, Sony might be looking at becoming a big supplier to EV companies (technology, controllers, motors, maybe batteries) or even building a damn car!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks