Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2020, 11:53   #31
BHPian

Re: Daily running cost of Electric Cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandu1382 View Post
J
I'm pretty sure that it would cost around 3-4k if I get it done with my own team.
Yeah, but that would open a whole world of possibilities for Tata to blame the wiring in case something goes wrong. I would highly recommend using Tata's services just to make sure it's a full package and they are liable to fix it in case anything goes wrong (in the car).
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 21:26   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Yeah, but that would open a whole world of possibilities for Tata to blame the wiring in case something goes wrong. I would highly recommend using Tata's services just to make sure it's a full package and they are liable to fix it in case anything goes wrong (in the car).

It's just a 15A socket. EVs may be new to this world. 15A sockets and wiring aren't. We don't have brands blaming the wiring for cell phones or refrigerators or wet grinders when asked for warranty.

Though what you say can be expected from some local companies I don't think a company like TATA would do that. And I hope not.
Old 23rd February 2020, 19:16   #33
BHPian

Guys, I've created a worksheet to compute how expensive an EV is based on 1) whether your alternative is Petrol/Diesel and 2) your monthly usage pattern.

You will need to input
1.Compare vs. - Petrol/Diesel
2. Average Km/month
3. Rate of Interest (annual) - enter your typical car loan interest rate here
4. Fuel price (petrol, diesel, per unit cost of electricity)
5. Fuel economy of petrol/diesel - I've assumed an EV running with 50 kWh battery and a range of 500km, runs 10 km per 1 kWh (1 unit) of electricity.
6. Price premium of your car over a comparable petrol car. For instance, a diesel car costs 2 lakhs over a petrol, an EV costs 10 lakhs over a petrol etc.
7. The model will output how economical an EV compared to a petrol/diesel car based on your monthly fuel bill and the monthly payment of the price premium..

Hope this helps. If you improve it, please post the updated sheet back.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Economics of EV.xlsx (13.0 KB, 328 views)
sramanat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 09:54   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sramanat View Post
Guys, I've created a worksheet to compute how expensive an EV is based on 1) whether your alternative is Petrol/Diesel and 2) your monthly usage pattern.
If you improve it, please post the updated sheet back.
I've updated the spreadsheet a bit - monthly interest rate is now a formula. Earlier it was just a number.

In essence what this tells you is that though you save a lot on monthly fuel bill, the price premium of a typical EV over a comparable IC car is too steep for the average user. McKinsey did an analysis on this some time back and their fancy proposals include
1. De-contentization of EV (typical consultant speak )
2. Leasing the battery instead of selling it up front.

I guess (2) is probably where the industry should be headed. If I can fill up petrol/diesel to the extent I need it, I should be able to do the same with battery - the added advantage is that I can swap a battery in a comparable time it takes to fill my car with petrol/diesel. There's a startup that I met that does just that.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Economics of EV.xlsx (13.1 KB, 211 views)
Old 24th February 2020, 15:48   #35
BHPian

New battery technology to double the current range and charge the battery in 6-8 minutes. So says this page - https://interestingengineering.com/n...n-five-minutes

If this is indeed viable commercially then the adaption of EV should see some boost.
Old 1st July 2020, 18:19   #36
BHPian

TCO calculator - EV vs Petrol vs Diesel - Case Nexon

While compiling an article for team-bhp (still in draft), I was curious to make a TCO calculator for Nexon (I compared the XZA(utomatic) plus trim levels) for a personal buyer. Then thought it would be handy to share it with others on the forum. This calculator is not limited to nexon, but for any EV vs Petrol vs Diesel comparisons you would like to do.

I have left some of the columns empty so that people can use this as per their needs. For efficiency figures, I used a bit more realistic values than what ARAI specified values. Attached is the simple TCO calculator, which I highly welcome others to improvise and reattach if needed.

Cheers,
Karthik
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx TCO_calculator.xlsx (5.7 KB, 309 views)
carthick1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 21:49   #37
BHPian

An owner from Mumbai shares his electricity bill towards using a ZS EV for 5k kilometres. Do note that owner has opted for EV charging category (requires new connection including a new meter exclusively for charging the car.) which offers tariff rate of ₹6 a unit flat. Daily running cost of Electric Cars in India-fa9ab1558dfc4c30abecb808e8b8ab95.jpeg

Link to Twitter thread:https://twitter.com/atharvak5/status...447320576?s=21

₹4870 for 5k km equates to ₹0.97/km. Compare this with any diesel or petrol automatic of similar capacity and you will notice savings of anywhere from ₹5 to ₹7 per km!
ADI7YAK is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 02:20   #38
Senior - BHPian

This is quite cool. I didn't know you could opt for a separate connection and meter for EV charging. Is it an option with all electricity providers ?
Old 21st October 2020, 20:09   #39
BHPian

Quote:
It's just a 15A socket. EVs may be new to this world. 15A sockets and wiring aren't. We don't have brands blaming the wiring for cell phones or refrigerators or wet grinders when asked for warranty. Though what you say can be expected from some local companies I don't think a company like TATA would do that. And I hope not.
Even though I agree with you in general, since the difference is just 1k, why take a chance and leave an avenue open for some future issues? It is very unlikely that your Nexon would have any issues for at least a few years but if some electric fault develops, they could argue it is due to a non standard installation. If the difference were say 20k, I would have taken a chance. For just 1k, I don’t see any reason to do so.
Old 22nd October 2020, 23:31   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
Truly appreciate your response but i would like you to take a look at the pic below of two-wheelers lining up for petrol in Cochin, Kerala during heavy rains in 2018. Just imagine if all these vehicles were electric and the power supply was disrupted due to heavy rainfall?
Every new technology takes time to adjust and settle down. I can tell you from the implementation of CNG in Delhi NCR region. A few years back when it was introduced, there used to be huge queues in even middle of the night with both commercial and private vehicles trying to get a refill. However, with more and more vehicles, the infrastructure also improved and nowadays it is much easier to get a refill even though the number of vehicles has increased manifolds.

Quote:
A few hours back a person from TATA Power came to my house to inspect the feasibility. Got to know that they're not installing the home charging box for free. After reading so many posts somewhere I started assuming that it's free.
Even I keep reading that it is free. So what exactly is free or is it just a false advertisement?
Old 23rd October 2020, 08:17   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Even I keep reading that it is free. So what exactly is free or is it just a false advertisement?
That's a very old post of mine. Well, the installation is free if the wire length is less than 15m post which it'll be charged on a per m basis. You're free to buy your own wire and provide them.

Most Viewed