Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Old 21st February 2020, 22:09   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Elon Musk calls Bill Gates ‘underwhelming’ after he buys a Porsche Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
As a World War 2 history buff, when you said heritage, my mind only flashed to their very strong pro Nazi ties.Ferry Porsche (the designer of the Beetle) was very close to Hitler, Porsche employed forced labourers, Polish POW's from concentration camps in their factories.
And the Americans employed Nazi scientists during the cold war to get an edge over the Soviet Union. The UAE still employs cheap labour living and working in terrible conditions to build their sky scrapers.

Ferdinand Porsche was a certified genius, he even got contracts for design of the iconic Tiger, King Tiger tanks and self propelled guns which destroyed allied tanks/guns by a ratio of 10:1. Porsche's racing machines have inspired generations of racing drivers and fans. Ask the likes of Steve McQueen, Bruce Canepa, Nico Hulkenberg and Mark Webber about their Porsche experiences and you will see that it stands for so much more than just a manufacturer of sports cars. Also Porsche's brand equity is such that they can charge any amount for their cars and get away with it (eg. the 911 R costs about USD 200k for basically being another variant of the much lower priced GT3).

Getting back to the topic, Mr. Bill Gates will have a tough time deciding between the Battista/Evija once they roll out
ds.raikkonen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 15:04   #47
BHPian

Default Re: Elon Musk calls Bill Gates ‘underwhelming’ after he buys a Porsche Taycan

Car & Driver's test Taycan Vs Model S finally revealed that the Taycan is quicker in the real world (and not on paper!). Though the Model S is the better EV in efficiency and cost effectiveness.

Quote:
Porsche Taycan [left] versus Tesla Model S Performance (Raven) [right] results from Car And Driver:

Rollout, 1 ft: 0.2 sec; 0.2 sec
60 mph: 2.4 sec; 2.5 sec
100 mph: 6.0 sec; 6.4 sec
130 mph: 10.5 sec; 11.9 sec
150 mph: 15.2 sec; 18.5 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 2.9 sec; 2.8 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 1.1 sec; 1.1 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 1.6 sec; 1.6 sec
¼-mile: 10.5 sec @ 130 mph; 10.7 sec @ 125 mph
Top speed (mfr’s claim): 162 mph; 163 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 155 ft; 156 ft
Braking, 100–0 mph: 306 ft; 313 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.99 g; 0.92 g
ds.raikkonen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 12:30   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Elon Musk blasted fellow billionaire Bill Gates, saying he's clueless about electric trucks.

Quote:
Tesla CEO Elon Musk blasted Bill Gates, saying "he has no clue" about the viability of electric trucks.

Musk was responding to a Twitter user who asked how he felt about Gates' declaration that electric vehicles weren't practical for long-haul journeys.

Gates wrote in the August post: "Electricity works when you need to cover short distances, but we need a different solution for heavy, long-haul vehicles
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 14th September 2020 at 12:32.
Old 14th September 2020, 12:38   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Elon Musk blasted fellow billionaire Bill Gates, saying he's clueless about electric trucks.
I echo the same thoughts as Bill Gates and I feel like I've been blasted too! Somebody needs to control their mouth and give a logical explanation.
Turbohead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 13:00   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
I echo the same thoughts as Bill Gates and I feel like I've been blasted too! Somebody needs to control their mouth and give a logical explanation.
Or maybe develop and produce an electric truck that can travel long distances. We will know soon (1 or 2 years) if its gonna happen or not.

Jury is still out on electric trucks, but future for long haul trucks definitely won't be biofuels or elctrofules as Bill Gates believes.
sri_tesla is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 13:06   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
I agree with Bill Gates. I heard this from a Toyota Engineer during Vellfire test drive too. For an long haul electric truck, the battery weight will be around 1.5 tons, and the weight doesn't reduce as the charge drains out. That is a lot of waste.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 13:32   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I agree with Bill Gates. I heard this from a Toyota Engineer during Vellfire test drive too. For an long haul electric truck, the battery weight will be around 1.5 tons, and the weight doesn't reduce as the charge drains out. That is a lot of waste.
Ha..haa..Toyota and their self charging cars, the last we need to hear about electric vehicles is from Toyota. Where is the Mirai? or lexus with 50kwh battery?

I believe in Musk when he says their Semi can do 600miles(960kms) in one charge. With mandatory rest stops and strategically placing the Mega chargers we are ready to see long distance trucks in 1-2 years. Also remember if hundreds of dollars saved per trip, transport companies would be fine giving few rest cum charging stops to their drivers.

Certainly Gates has no clue (with all respect ) he is not into building trucks, Musk is. How many said long distance electric cars not possible, we are seeing 500mile cars. Another 5 years may be with less weight batteries enable us to see 1000mile trucks, who knows.

Edit: One more point to add, I read that most trucks max out volume before reaching near to the max weight. So even if battery weight is 1.5 ton that's not an issue. Musk would have done his research before working on their truck.

Last edited by SKC-auto : 14th September 2020 at 13:45.
SKC-auto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 17:37   #53
BHPian

I was watching this documentary a week back, which compares the Electric Vs Hydrogen (Tesla Vs Nikola). Few interesting details on how Nikola plans the long haul Hydrogen powered trucks and why the weight factor of battery works against the Battery powered trucks.

r_devakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 23:39   #54
BHPian

It just makes no sense to me as to why anyone would buy a Taycan.

Elon Musk calls Bill Gates ‘underwhelming’ after he buys a Porsche Taycan-taycantesla.jpg

Last edited by vb-san : 8th February 2021 at 06:17. Reason: Orientation
GutsyGibbon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 00:06   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Now add all Tesla's standard features to Taycan and the price will be well over $200K.

Taycan clan will now come with new theories like buying a Porsche is for it's marvelous engineering, corner craving ability, better put together car, it will go round and round on a track in full speed, etc.
myavu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 16:11   #56
BHPian

Quote:
I would buy a Taycan anyday over a model s and i will reiterate it herein below:

You see the Model S and the Taycan are very different. The model s is like Elons visions of what a driverless car will be and is moving in that direction. Now the Taycan is like a conventional car but fully EV.

You see the Taycan with all its buttons and screens and everything is more porsche and more conventional and is a much more relatable car. If you see Out of Spec Motoring Youtube channel they recently demolished their own held record of Gumball dash across the US in a model 3 last year and they demolished it with a Taycan this year.

Not everything has to do with performance in my opinion. i cant do 0-100 everyday in traffic but i want something that i enjoy being inside and the Tesla all of them are very clinically sanitised minimalist cars. The Taycan continues to be a car and i know many out there agree with my thought process and wait it also sounds better.

So Taycan it is for me.
M00M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 21:25   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Not everything has to do with performance in my opinion. i cant do 0-100 everyday in traffic but i want something that i enjoy being inside and the Tesla all of them are very clinically sanitised minimalist cars. The Taycan continues to be a car and i know many out there agree with my thought process and wait it also sounds better.
So Taycan it is for me.
Sure you will, and a lot of Porsche enthusiasts will. That buying decision would not be after a fair comparison of all the parameters specific to EVs out there. If you keep aside the 0-100 performance, you look at range, then the cost, then the charging network.
It is good to hear that there will be buyers for other EVs, as competition does make products better. The exterior design of the Model S is still looks 10 years old.
Old 11th February 2021, 15:28   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
The model s is like Elons visions of what a driverless car will be and is moving in that direction. Now the Taycan is like a conventional car but fully EV...You see the Taycan with all its buttons and screens and everything is more porsche and more conventional and is a much more relatable car. that i enjoy being inside and the Tesla all of them are very clinically sanitised minimalist cars...
Disclaimer- Have never sat in a Tesla so far

True.
Felt the same while seeing the pics of Audi e-tron GT.
Tesla just took the minimalist approach too far, even long term owners of Model S would complain in forums how they miss real luxury interiors of their former cars and wish Tesla did the same.

Ofcourse hard-core fans would virulently defend the interiors.
Same as when EVs from legacy companies fail to beat Teslas, they will go, "Ha, no one can beat Tesla. Oldies are d-e-a-d.
But when an EV from legacy companies do beat Tesla, they will be like, "But that is what Muskie wants. Change. Change the world for better. Yabbidy-dabbidy.."

I love the minimalistic approach of Mazda interiors, and if it is a screen fest then nothing beats the sweet interiors of the Honda E.
But Tesla. No.
The glovebox control. For real?
Ofcourse it will be defended as future-proof than the ancient mechanical latch.
Old 11th February 2021, 15:41   #59
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
The exterior design of the Model S is still looks 10 years old.
Aesthetics are a major reason why people choose certain cars and the Taycan definitely is a looker. As for price, you pay extra for the Porsche brand so that won't be deal breaker. Range difference would be the main reason why someone may go for the Model S (if the Porsche is also within budget).
Old 11th February 2021, 16:45   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
But Tesla. No.
The glovebox control. For real?
Ofcourse it will be defended as future-proof than the ancient mechanical latch.
Porsche is trying to cover all the gaps with different iterations of the Taycan. Expect the Boxster and Cayman and Macan to all go EV in next few years. Even the Panamera but then the Panamera and the Taycan are very similar.

The point is that Tesla cars while desirable due to EV tech are very medically sanitised. Heck the new S and X with no gear stalk is dangerous because the screens are glitchy and can go off and do off sometimes and need to be reset. What happens when your driving in one gear and your screen goes off ? I think technology is important, but we do not need to always keep reimagining and recreating the wheel. Huge respect for Elon but i think over engineering everything is not really necessary.

I think the Porsche Taycan is a far more desirable EV for me atleast.

The Honda E is good but i doubt Honda India the lethargic Japanese giant in India will bring it to India and this comes from a loyal Honda customer. I think that Honda India needs CRV hybrid in India ( i would buy one, I already own the 2014 model ), the EV Honda E and the other cars should be hybridised too in the immediate time. But Honda India is sleeping as always.

Most Viewed