Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Old 25th February 2020, 11:12   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: My Hyundai Kona EV - Kitna chalti hai?

Congratulations mohanphadnis

Thanks for the nicely written owner's perspective. Someone who's on the fence whether to go for an EV or not will get answers to a lot of his/her questions in your thread.

Whenever I look at a Kona, I feel like taking a paintbrush and painting that body coloured front grill to black. I feel the Kona will look very nice with that grill in black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sramanat View Post
Well, nothing is free. Can you provide some rough number for charging it to 100% at the highest per unit cost of electricity?
He has written that he has a solar system and he is exporting around 120 units per month. So in this case running cost is indeed ZERO (unless you take the installation cost of the solar power system)
hemanth.anand is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 11:13   #17

Congratulations on your new Kona! I have been spotting quite a few Konas, Verito EVs and a lot of electric bikes on the street here in Pune these days.

Good to see people adopting EV tech at this pace. Hopefully, this will help speed up localisation of parts and reduce the costs further.
NerdyMillennial is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 11:47   #18
RYP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
From 0-100% charge, it will use around 40 Kwh (battery capacity of 39 + heat/electrical resistance losses), that is 40 units. Multiply that by Rs 6 per unit (average rate) : 40 x 6 = Rs 240 for one full charge. That is equivalent to running a 1500 W geyser for an entire day.
Rs. 240 for 300 Kms but on a similarly sized petrol powered vehicle, one would've spent ~ Rs. 1500 for the same range (at ~15 KM/L). Hence atleast 6 times more efficient!
RYP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 11:50   #19
BHPian

Used this calculator, at Rs 6/unit should approx cost between Rs 300 and Rs 325 to charge it full.

https://evcompare.io/charging-calculator/
Attached Images

Old_Salt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 11:51   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Well, nothing is free. Can you provide some rough number for charging it to 100% at the highest per unit cost of electricity?
In my case it is paid up in capital cost due to the grid tied solar system. But I have seen my 100 units / month exported disappear over the last three months, so taking Rs.13/unit as the top bracket in Pune, the monthly running cost would be about Rs.1300. My average monthly running over last three months has been ~900kms, so we can do the math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
Many congrats on riding the EV wave. I am sure you must be getting some undesired attention as well. Since you charge you Kona to 80% only, the range you are getting is excellent. Or, does the range correspond to 100% charge? How many units are required for a full charge?
The range figures corresponds to 100%, when I go out of town.

Generally in city, I would charge to 80% and allow her to discharge to 20% before charging again, which gives me about 200kms of running between charges, which is equivalent to about 1.5weeks of city running for me.
mohanphadnis is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 11:59   #21
BHPian

Test drove Kona EV the other day for over an hour and to my surprise dealership was pretty okay to let me drive it for that long.(perks of an EV?) Here's summary of efficiency I managed to get with mixed style driving on various road conditions in moderately dense traffic.
Started from Kothari Hyundai,Shankarsheth road to Katraj Ghat : city driving with dense traffic,

Climbing and descending Katraj Ghat till bypass intersection : 2 lane Ghat with moderate traffic,did a few quick overtakes and car pulls with ease even on Eco mode,

New Katraj Tunnel to Sinhagad road : 6 lane highway but with a good descent. Actually gained some kilometres back while car was cruising at a steady 90kmph with regenerative brakes active.

Sinhagad road back to Shankarsheth road : city with moderate traffic.

My Hyundai Kona EV - Kitna chalti hai?-img_20200130_131355.jpg

I got 7.5km/kWh which translates to 294km range on a single charge. (7.5 x 39.2)

Regarding charging, the battery pack is 39.2kWh so including charging loss (around 15%, I assume) total units of energy required would come out to around 45. If I'm not mistaken,according to Maharashtra state policy,EVs can have a separate meter for charging at the rate of flat ₹6/unit, no slab rates. (OP please confirm the same)

So the running cost turns out to be
₹270 for 294km which equates to ₹.92/km.

To put that into perspective, in Pune, a 20km long journey in a non AC PMPML public bus costs around ₹30,same distance done in a Kona EV would cost around ₹18.4.

Last edited by ADI7YAK : 25th February 2020 at 12:28.
ADI7YAK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 12:04   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanphadnis View Post
so taking Rs.13/unit as the top bracket in Pune, the monthly running cost would be about Rs.1300. My average monthly running over last three months has been ~900kms, so we can do the math.
Sounds about right ~ INR 1.2 / km.
sramanat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 12:12   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Well, nothing is free.
He did mention that he is exporting 120 kwH, so he is already invested in the solar power system, hence doesn't really affect his costing much. Might not be an exact zero, but yes, very very low, so we can conclude it as a zero.
Venkat_Figo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 12:29   #24
RYP
BHPian

Did a little excel rough math, Ev's do make good sense in India aleast monetary wise. Charging network for long range is the only sore spot. We've come a very long way from the early Reva days.
Attached Images

Last edited by RYP : 25th February 2020 at 12:31.
RYP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 13:17   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYP View Post
Did a little excel rough math, Ev's do make good sense in India aleast monetary wise. Charging network for long range is the only sore spot. We've come a very long way from the early Reva days.
Is the maintenance for EVs so much higher than petrol and diesel cars? I thought with hardly any moving parts the maintenance would be significantly less.

Last edited by zhopudey : 25th February 2020 at 13:18. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 25th February 2020, 13:21   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYP View Post
Hyundai and Tata are giving 8 years warranty on the battery. Battery degradation with liquid cooling is much lesser and mostly wont need replacement. Even if required, the battery replacement cost will be much lower than $100 per kWh after 7 or 8 years. Another point is your old battery will not be useless. Even with 50% of degradation, you will have 15 or 20 kWh battery which can be used as an invertor for your house.

So, maintenance of Rs 3 lakhs for EVs is grossly wrong.

Last edited by sri_tesla : 25th February 2020 at 13:24.
sri_tesla is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 13:47   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
Another point is your old battery will not be useless. Even with 50% of degradation, you will have 15 or 20 kWh battery which can be used as an invertor for your house.
That is one of the conundrums that the battery recyclers are facing. We would not really see big incoming supply of batteries for recycling for another 10-15 years.
second use of batteries can last as much as 15 years, we can even make charging stations out of those batteries .
mohanphadnis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 13:47   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanphadnis View Post
Generally in city, I would charge to 80% and allow her to discharge to 20% before charging again, which gives me about 200kms of running between charges, which is equivalent to about 1.5weeks of city running for me.
Congratulations on the Kona! How long does it take to charge from 20% to 80% or to 100%?
timuseravan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 14:12   #29
RYP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhopudey View Post
Is the maintenance for EVs so much higher than petrol and diesel cars? I thought with hardly any moving parts the maintenance would be significantly less.
Battery replacement is the big elephant, which is 90% of the overall maintanence cost. Of course you can sell the vehicle at 7 years without taking a ~3L maintanence (battery replacement) hit which would drastically reduce your running costs from 3.84L to ~1L and Maintenance costs from 3L to around 25k

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
Hyundai and Tata are giving 8 years warranty on the battery. Battery degradation with liquid cooling is much lesser and mostly wont need replacement. Even if required, the battery replacement cost will be much lower than $100 per kWh after 7 or 8 years. Another point is your old battery will not be useless. Even with 50% of degradation, you will have 15 or 20 kWh battery which can be used as an invertor for your house.

So, maintenance of Rs 3 lakhs for EVs is grossly wrong.
8 year warranty is only if the battery goes totally kaput and not if it retains say 50% or 30% of efficiency, since it's technically working or am I missing something here?

$100 per kWh is Bloomberg Finance's prediction of Li-Ion batteries by 2026 plus import duty. The price today is $200 per kWh. You replace the battery and are good to go for another 7 years, hence the 3L maintenance cost can be equated to all 14 Years, of course apart from wear and tear parts.

DIY Re-purposing an EV's battery is next to impossible, with all the micro-controllers inbuilt. Even Tesla haven't found a viable way to reuse them, i doubt Tata or Hyundai would ever find one in the next decade.
RYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 14:38   #30
BHPian

Congrats on the purchase ! I totally relate to your opening comments - not a day passes without at least one question (and usually many more) from someone at a traffic signal or a parking spot !

3 months of ownership and it took this thread for me to realise that the headrest moves laterally

If you figure out how to turn of the horn blaring during lock and unlock please do share. I will be deeply indebted.

Last edited by reihem : 25th February 2020 at 14:43.
reihem is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed