Team-BHP > Electric Cars

View Poll Results: Is Absence of Aural Pleasure in EV's bad?
Yes 88 42.72%
No 118 57.28%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2020, 14:08   #16
BHPian

Re: No Aural Pleasure in electric cars: Is it bad?

The lack of engine sounds is actually a big opportunity itself. Imagine if you could buy an electric car like any regular Joe and then realised that your car was capable of sounding like an F1 V10 engine thanks to software? And what if the company could offer you an array of different motor sounds? Maybe you don't want the sound of the F1 V10 but you do badly want the car to sound like the Batmobile? (Cause you're mentally 9 years old)
nikhilthegunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 14:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

While I love the aural pleasure of super cars and super bikes, I think we can live with the silence of EVs. Actually, we can have a bit of both. The acoustics part can be taken care of with a good sound system put in place to simulate a V8/V10/V12 sound, complete with rise in speed synchronized with rise in sound pitch to give us true ICE car sound. 4 or 6 oval speakers can be put where the exhausts sit. That way, an EV would emit sweet decibels from exactly where an ICE car emits its from and pseudo-exhausts can house the speakers. And, of course, the whole system to come with a switch to flick it off, should you choose to cruise in silence.
Old 5th March 2020, 16:40   #18
BHPian

Everything changes with time. Now if kids grow up without the noises, it will be normal for them. For the current generation of drivers, it's an adjustment esp for people like me who change gears entirely on noise. Well sometimes it sounds good but most of times it's just noise. So I'm fan of quieter vehicles but unfortunately our roads are full of noises mostly by honking as some are in a hurry while others just like to honk. Pedestrians are at fault too as they don't follow rules which results in unnecessary honking.
Old 5th March 2020, 17:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

Voting for yes, I need some sort of sound in any machine that has moving parts. I like the sound of an electric drilling machine too. Its a different story that its too loud, but still.

My kid is two years old and he plays with his toy cars making 'wheee wheee' sound (I taught him ). I wonder what sound he will tell his kids to make when electric cars would be mainstream
Old 5th March 2020, 17:45   #20
Senior - BHPian

I answered no.

Let's not forget that even the modern ICE petrol cars are making zero noise at low speeds, some times while walking I just see cars silently coming near to me.

Yes, certain high end cars have nice exhaust note, but how many in our country really drive them.

I can say 50% of the population who drive Altos, i10's don't care as of now and even appreciate the silence of EVs. The other 40% slowly change when they start seeing their friends and neighbours driving in silence.

Remaining 5% hold for long time or there will be a market for these 5% just like we have RE.( I love this sound so I disturb your silence, and your child's sleep).
Old 5th March 2020, 22:57   #21
BHPian

Is it just the sound that you guys are worried about or even the vibration attached to it?

Because if it's just the sound, it can be generated through electrical means. Customised as per your favourite car or even horse hooves if you like :P

But if what you're actually missing is the vibration attached to the sound, even that can be made possible by attaching a vibrator to the driver seat. But that consumes extra juice.

Bottom line is that technically it's possible to get both the sound and vibrant of your choice.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 5th March 2020 at 23:20. Reason: Typo.
Old 5th March 2020, 23:18   #22
BHPian

The sound that you hear in the Taycan is actually simulated sound. There's almost no sound when electric cars accelerate. I've driven the Model 3 performance and when I gave it the beans, all I heard was a very low volume "whizz".

On a separate note, i sat in the Taycan at the Toronto auto show and oh my God! That car does feel special. Several notches above any Tesla.

Would i buy an electric Porsche? At this point, yes. It will drive just as well as a ICE powered Porsche and it won't have the ridiculously expensive maintenance.
Old 6th March 2020, 00:37   #23
BHPian

The EV manufacturers can come up with a' RE-VOLT motorcycle' like solution. With the variation of the throttle, rear-mounted loud speakers can mimic the notes of an inline 4(while staying well within decibel limits)! That would be like getting the best of both worlds.
turboNath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 00:49   #24
BHPian

Sound is very important, the engine notes when redlining, upshifting, rev matching downshifts, the overrun pops from the exhaust, everything adds character and makes you feel that the vehicle is alive, that it has a soul.

I love all kinds of engines, from single cylinders to v12s every engine layout has a good sounding example, like the brutal sounding big displacement single cylinders and twins, the symphony of an inline 4, the rumble of a V8, the high pitch scream of a Rotary and naturally aspirated V10s and V12s etc
The different sounds an engine makes depending on the way it is tuned like the sound of the turbo spooling and fluttering, the external wastegate scream, the sound of VTEC engaging, the sound of ITBs sucking as much air as possible, the chop of a bridge port rotary or a big cammed V8 at idle etc

All these sounds are missing in electric cars and it's gonna be a very sad day when all of us are gonna be forced to only drive these soulless EVs.
Revmatch99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 01:48   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revmatch99 View Post

All these sounds are missing in electric cars and it's gonna be a very sad day when all of us are gonna be forced to only drive these soulless EVs.
They're not as soulless as we think. These cars do have a lot of character in how they accelerate and how the mountain of torque is just endless and instant. They're super luxurious as shown by the Porsche Taycan and once we have fast chargers at every petrol station, very convenient as well.

I would pick the Taycan over the Panamera any day. It will last longer and will cost me next to nothing to run and maintain. Having said that, I do want to own and enjoy an inline 6 or a V6 powered M340i or a Porsche Macan S before I move to electric cars.
Old 6th March 2020, 02:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker View Post
My view on this is that the EVs need not make any ICE like sounds for pedestrian safety
What about blind people and bicyclists? As a bicyclist, I rely on hearing a car behind me.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 6th March 2020 at 02:34.
Old 6th March 2020, 03:10   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthi.stark View Post

Are you willing to sacrifice your desire for "music" from the exhausts just for the sake of our planet's future? If yes, then why are you complaining about the lack of "Aural Pleasure" in electric cars? Shouldn't you be proud that you are preserving the future of your planet with electric cars?
I will admit, I am a bit of an car sound nerd. When I had just bought my Alfa Romeo Spider, my then 10 year old son and I would drive it into The Hague, which was near to where we lived at the time. The motorway went through various tunnels leading into the Hague. We would come barreling down the motorway doing a 100-120 km/h in third, downshift with double clutching to second just to hear that glorious Alfa engine sound in this soncrete tunnel. We would drive up and down that stretch of motorway 6-8 times and do it again the next week.

When I give my Jaguar with its 4.0 l, supercharged engines the beans it still sends shivers down my spine. It is magnificent. Roll down the windows obviously, even when it is freezing or raining.

So, yes I love engine sounds. But if push comes to shove, the environment is more important. Our daughter is pregnant with our first grand child. i would like to think she will inherit a better world. Maybe a little more quite, certainly more dull, but at least more healthy and sustainable.

It is jsut two different things, I both enjoy and find relevant. I just haven't bought an electric car yet, because well, knowing what is the right thing to do and doing the right thing are two different things. As long as I can legally drive a petrol car, I most likely will. I dare say the first electric or at least hybrid car is not to far away, but I will never ever sell my Spider

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 6th March 2020 at 03:14.
Jeroen is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 04:00   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revmatch99 View Post
Sound is very important, the engine notes when redlining, upshifting, rev matching downshifts, the overrun pops from the exhaust, everything adds character and makes you feel that the vehicle is alive, that it has a soul.
That is true, but what I realised more than anything else is that I need to sound in order to know whether I should be upshifting or downshifting or whether I am in the correct gear. For me, that is unnecessary with the electric car as you are never in the wrong gear, unless they decide to put a manual gearbox on it.

The only regret I have with the lack of sound is we miss the awesome noise some engines make, especially when you rev it hard in a tunnel.
Old 6th March 2020, 12:33   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

There are of course always the hybrids, such as the renowned Prius. Both of best worlds as they say, although some like to hear a bit more engine noise. So they do a bit of a modification:

Old 6th March 2020, 13:18   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

A sweet sounding engine/exhaust is music to the ears. It is so much part of the driving experience, and I would miss it in them Electrics.

Long back, I had made a comment on the lines that if someone finds diesels noisy, then they dont know what they are missing . It -esp diesel engines - may be an acquired taste, but that hum of a turbo diesel as one cruises on a highway is really something !

And how can one miss the older F1 engines ? The way the cars roared past .. (thanks, @racer 7)

Last edited by condor : 6th March 2020 at 13:22.

Most Viewed