Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2007, 21:29   #1
BHPian

Reva Electric Car is the highest selling electric car in the world

Not many people know but there is an automaker in India which manufactures a pure electric car named Reva. The company has just managed to create a record of sort.

There are around 700 Reva cars running on the streets of London and this is a record for the highest number of electric vehicles functioning in any city across the world.

The company is expected to deliver more cars to the city and this number would increase to around 1000 units in the next couple of months.

Overall, Reva manufacturers have sold 1800 cars in the markets out which around 1000 have been sold here in India itself.

The company does not get much support from the government which results in a higher price tag on the car but they still manage to sell its standard EV model with DC motor for £7000 in the UK. In India, the car is priced similarly to the Maruti 800/Alto car.

Chetan Kumaar Maini, deputy chairman, RECC spoke about their product: “Even Asian countries have started taking up the encouragement of EVs. For instance, the Japanese government has announced a $2,600 subsidy for the end user for buying a REVA. Similar initiatives are also being taken up by China.

Reva Electric Car is the highest selling electric car in the world
Old 8th March 2007, 21:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Its heartening to see the repsonse from the Japanese government. When will the indian government learn.
Old 8th March 2007, 21:50   #3
BHPian

In Andhra Pradesh we had lifetax exempted for people opting for Reva. I don't know if we still have that rule.

Reva is a hit in London because of its size. People who own a Reva spend a lot less on parking fee compared to others. Also being a small car it is easy to drive around.
Old 8th March 2007, 22:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

It's a very nice car. I've driven one a couple of times, and I wish the govt here did a bit to promote it. How about some electric autos?
Old 8th March 2007, 22:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Reva is a hit in London because of its size. People who own a Reva spend a lot less on parking fee compared to others. Also being a small car it is easy to drive around.
Revas dont pay entry fee to enter downtown London. Big advantage
Old 8th March 2007, 22:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

Also, on the latest episode of TG, JC was forced to admit he likes the Reva, or the G-Wiz, as it's called in the UK.
Old 8th March 2007, 22:18   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Also, on the latest episode of TG, JC was forced to admit he likes the Reva, or the G-Wiz, as it's called in the UK.
That was to impress the female "Star in a reasonably priced car". He admitted to a lot of things, such as "Kia makes wonderful cars". Get an attractive enough dame, and Jeremy will say Hyundai Accent is his favorite car and put it on the cool board too

Getting back to the topic. EVs do good abroad because govt's encourage them. In India unless a car maker is politically very important, no sops get handed out. Ideally if there are no taxes on the Reva it would cost around 1.2L on road, and at this price many people would buy the reva as a second vehicle(I would for one).

Its really ironical that govt is talking about giving tax breaks to foreign companies selling hybrids which give no better mileage than normal diesels already selling here, but at the same time choose to ignore our very own Reva which has won hearts worldwide.
Old 8th March 2007, 22:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

Well at 1.2 lakhs, a Reva could well be a replacement for an auto. I think they cost around 1 lakh, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 9th March 2007, 07:39   #9
BHPian

Well done Reva !!!
Old 9th March 2007, 08:01   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Well at 1.2 lakhs, a Reva could well be a replacement for an auto. I think they cost around 1 lakh, if I'm not mistaken.
Nope it costs around 2.49 lakhs.

In between there is a huge subsidy on Reva for Institutional Buyers.

The Government of India in its effort to encourage and popularize new and environment friendly technologies towards reducing vehicular pollution and thus consequently improving quality of urban air, has announced a Central Subsidy of upto Rs. 75,000 for each REVA Electric Car.

REVA Electric Car Company - Makers of the REVA electric car, electric vehicle

Last edited by indian21r : 9th March 2007 at 08:07.
Old 26th March 2007, 18:39   #11
BHPian

REVA Electric Car Company (RECC) has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Kerala Postal Services.

As part of the partnership, RECC will provide three specially customised REVA electric cars to deliver and collect mail in Thiruvananthapuram city and its suburbs. The project will be closely monitored both by RECC and the postal department over a period of 11 months.

Three REVA electric speed post vehicles will be delivered to the Kerala postal circle from Bangalore on March 27 and the new speed post service will be inaugurated on April 16 in Thiruvananthapuram.

Painted a uniform 'post office' red colour, these cars will run 60 km a day on an average and be able to carry a load of up to 70 kg apart from a driver and postman. The vehicles are on display at the ongoing national conference of head of postal circles in Bangalore.

The car manufacturer will also work with the Kerala postal circle to prepare a 450-km route map between Kozhikode and Thiruvananthapuram to locate charging points at different post offices where the electric cars can be recharged.

Story : http://business-standard.com/common/...N&autono=21790
Old 26th March 2007, 19:15   #12
Team-BHP Support

i saw one black in color today, longer wheel base with an amby shape roof (silver), looked real cute from behind and side

another sportz version with open hood last week, claimed to do 120kph and 120 km range (while inquired at aeroshow), the same car was zipping on hosur rd towards mg road last week, 5 lakh price was only the dampner
Old 26th March 2007, 19:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
i saw one black in color today, longer wheel base with an amby shape roof (silver), looked real cute from behind and side

another sportz version with open hood last week, claimed to do 120kph and 120 km range (while inquired at aeroshow), the same car was zipping on hosur rd towards mg road last week, 5 lakh price was only the dampner
Well 5 lakhs is a come down from 17, which was the last price I heard. This is the purple one, right?
Old 26th March 2007, 20:19   #14
Team-BHP Support

I know many of you might be thinking this, how safe is a Reva?
Old 27th March 2007, 02:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Nope it costs around 2.49 lakhs.
Erm, I meant an auto costs around a lakh.

Samurai, I would assume it's slightly less safe than an M800. But then speeds are lower, and it's meant to be a car exclusively for the city.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks