Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2020, 09:46   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Converted my Chevrolet Beat to an Electric Vehicle!

Thread moved to the Electric Car section! Thanks for sharing, stuntfreak
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 11:11   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thread moved to the Electric Car section! Thanks for sharing, stuntfreak
Welcome. Future EV conversions I shall Post here directly.

Cheers
stuntfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 11:32   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you stuntfreak for sharing this. A really impressive job. .

One question...what was the change in weight for the Beat in comparison with the stock diesel car?
Old 24th May 2020, 11:42   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntfreak View Post
Welcome. Future EV conversions I shall Post here directly.
Cheers
Trust a Punekar to do it!!

Congratulations on your achievement, dedication and inclination to make a difference!
More than anything, thank you for sharing all the information through this thread!

Do you see converting a Nano AMT anytime in future? I have a Nano and would surely love to get it converted to EV.

Any possibility of having dual fuel powered cars? ICE + EV? I feel that would make the cars more practical and easy on pocket!
Old 24th May 2020, 11:46   #20
BHPian

Such a nifty job! Good on you OP.

I know this is probably too far fetched right now but wanted to understand what kind of maintenance precautions one takes?
Old 24th May 2020, 11:48   #21
BANNED

Nice conversion.

But more importantly, where did you get those alloys from?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th May 2020 at 12:26. Reason: Spacing
Old 24th May 2020, 12:08   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Thank you stuntfreak for sharing this. A really impressive job. .

One question...what was the change in weight for the Beat in comparison with the stock diesel car?
Weight has remained more or less the same with the existing setup. However if you want a much more powerful car and / or with long range, the weight of EV converts usually tends to be 15-20% greater than the ICE version

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Trust a Punekar to do it!!

Congratulations on your achievement, dedication and inclination to make a difference!
More than anything, thank you for sharing all the information through this thread!

Do you see converting a Nano AMT anytime in future? I have a Nano and would surely love to get it converted to EV.

Any possibility of having dual fuel powered cars? ICE + EV? I feel that would make the cars more practical and easy on pocket!
Thank you so much my friend.

Yes we can convert a nano AMT to full EV.

Hybrid in my opinion doesn’t make sense as you’re carrying fuel, batteries, motor, engine to run the car. And makes it heavy and inefficient. The only way a hybrid will be efficient is if the OE engine is downsized as a range extender or mild hybrid. But Full Hybrid with the stock engine is not desirable. This is my opinion.

Anyways if you’re interested you can come with your car. We can convert it together and make a nice video too. We have started filming our conversions now and plan to make a YouTube series on this. Again a non commercial activity. To encourage and guide ppl to do the same. After all the future is electric. We also plan to integrate legal aspects in video and norms laid out by the CMVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landmaster18 View Post
Such a nifty job! Good on you OP.

I know this is probably too far fetched right now but wanted to understand what kind of maintenance precautions one takes?
It’s actually not far fetched since we have been experimenting on conversions since many years now and I have been personally using my convert vehicles.

What I have noticed is that the REGEN saves a lot of brakes. Brake pad replacement is literally doubled. Suspension takes the same amount more or less of repairs as compared to a standard car. Rest is tyres and other stuff like wipers and all. It mainly remains the same. Even the AC, gearbox or transmission needs service. Only the engine service part goes away. Hence contrary to the claim that an EV is MAINTENANCE FREE, EVs in my opinion have the same maintenance except for Engine Service and Repairs.

Thanks for complimenting on the quality of the job. I’m sure you’ll find the quality of our future conversions much much better. We’re trying to achieve OEM standard quality work. Let’s see where we get.

Cheers mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
Nice conversion.
But more importantly, where did you get those alloys from?
Thanks for the compliment!! Lol. These are Vossen wheels. 16” 8J 4x 100 PCD with 35 Offset. The CB we have matched with a cantering ring to avoid high speed vibrations. I purchased them from a dealer in Pune itself.

Yes and I do like those wheels a lot. 😉

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by vb-saan : 24th May 2020 at 13:22. Reason: Please see Mod Note above
stuntfreak is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 12:34   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone, its been long since I’ve posted anything here.

Coming back to the topic, I have been converting many two wheelers and four wheelers to Fully ELectric vehicles as a part of my hobby and R&D.
That's a superb job, guess people need not go for new EV cars, rather get existing one's converted like this. Great Keep it up!!

Last edited by vb-saan : 24th May 2020 at 13:17. Reason: For better readability, please do not quote the whole post. Thanks
Natt1948 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 12:54   #24

Saw your article in the Team BHP's weekly digest and couldn't resist logging in to Congratulate you on the awesome feat achieved

Just seeking a clarity,

1) Whether 115 kms range is derived from single 15KW battery or both units put together.
2) Since you transform the vehicle transmission with your indigenous kits, how much time per vehicle would be involved.
3) Have you been able to put together the cost involved in transformation of one vehicle.
4) Are you using Lithium Ion batteries or any other

AIA, if the queries sound rudimentary compared to the sophisticated engineering marvel demonstrated by you.

Quote:
The motor provides a peak torque of 75 Nm and a continuous torque of 26 Nm.

I have installed a 15 KW battery pack under the seat in place of the fuel tank and in the boot in place of the spare wheel. My range without AC and Light is close to 115 kms and with Ac and lights is 95 kms. Time to full charge is 6 hours at home and 45 min on a fast charger.
Old 24th May 2020, 13:12   #25
BHPian

What an effort and result...

Hope this can be done commercially at a large scale. Many of us would love to convert.

A silly question.. since the battery pack is under the seats.. what are the safety precautions for this set up
Old 24th May 2020, 13:30   #26
BHPian

This is brilliant. I have been exploring the conversion of my 2011 Punto 90 HP mainly due to the damage fossil fuels cause to the environment.

I found a company called Altigreen researching this in Bangalore but they now do hybrids and not pure EVs yet.

I hope to do this in the next couple of years. Does anyone know if we can easily extend RTO renewals with no mileage restrictions beyond 15 years if we switch a car to EV?
Old 24th May 2020, 13:31   #27
BHPian

Great job man.

I have a brezza which I dream of converting to electric someday. The car is still under extended warranty till 2021, so this is a long wait.

Moreover, I want to know about the legality (Registration, insurance etc and how long the registration will be valid - for eg, a newly registered car/bike is valid for 15 years in kerala).

Also kindly mention the specifications of the motor, type of battery, the cost and time of conversion in your future posts.

All the very best in your endeavours and who knows one day I will drive my brezza to your garage for the heart transplant.
Old 24th May 2020, 13:40   #28
BHPian

Wow! Good God. So impressed by your initiative and determination and your superb engineering skills. Very inspiring!
Old 24th May 2020, 13:40   #29
BHPian

Excellent job and what a result! Look forward to your other builds.
Had a query. What sort of tests do you do to ensure that the system is working as it should? I mean battery discharge, REGEN and to ensure its reliable overall?

Cheers!!
Old 24th May 2020, 14:02   #30
BHPian

Stunning to read. Absolutely brilliant to know of this kind of work being done. It requires tremendous passion and commitment to do this sort of work.
Keep going. Look forward to reading all your updates.

Most Viewed