Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2022, 17:15   #91
BHPian

re: Volvo XC40 Recharge Electric SUV, now launched at Rs. 55.90 lakhs

Sold out for 2022 in just 2 hours!! I hope they come out with larger quantities alloted for india in 2023, Especially with the C40.
JShah is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 10:12   #92
BHPian

re: Volvo XC40 Recharge Electric SUV, now launched at Rs. 55.90 lakhs

There comes the first and best serious contendor from Volvo for TeamBHP’s COTY awards.

Superb pricing, thanks to the acclimatization all the companies have made us go through.
I wish they would bring XC60 next instead of C40. What advantage does it give it to the customer over XC40? Negligible. And I think both of these cars will have buyers from the exact same pool and a perfect cross-cannibilization
VinsWagen is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 10:29   #93
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volvo XC40 Recharge Electric SUV, now launched at Rs. 55.90 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinsWagen View Post
There comes the first and best serious contendor from Volvo for TeamBHP’s COTY awards.
True that. It's one car that blends in almost everything that's required of an EV.

Quote:
I wish they would bring XC60 next instead of C40
XC60 and XC90 will be in their PHEV mode in the first wave. Pure electric versions of these cars will be likely in the final wave of the transformation.

C40 is a ground up EV model from an EV specific platform (unlike the ICE converted XC40) which gives with it's own set of advantages.
Old 28th July 2022, 10:40   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post

C40 is a ground up EV model from an EV specific platform (unlike the ICE converted XC40) which gives with it's own set of advantages.
The platform is the same as xc40, the c40 is available only in electric.
Old 28th July 2022, 12:05   #95
BHPian

Straight line performance (0-100 in 4.9 sec) is better than GLA 35 AMG (5.1s) while pricing on road (Hyd) is similar to 220d AWD and good 18-20% lower than GLA 35. There is simply no comparable offering at this price point whether its an EV or ICE vehicle (may be EV6 but not from a premium brand). Further the running and maintenance costs would be much lower. Not sure why anyone would want to buy the regular XC40 which may be cheaper upfront by 6-7 lakhs but nowhere comparable in terms of performance. Only reason to go with the ICE version is if one has long highway drives with limited charging access. Overall an exceptional product and attractive pricing which makes the case for EVs in the premium space. Just wish the Germans would take notice and offer comparable competitive products too.

On a separate note, it looks some of these EV products are being priced well but offered in such limited numbers that they look more like brand building and market testing exercises. For Volvo though it does add up to nearly 8-10% of their annual volumes and could be the game changer. The chinese companies in general have a significant cost advantage given the advanced and large scale battery manufacturing ecosystem.
Neelavi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 12:06   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JShah View Post
Sold out for 2022 in just 2 hours!! I hope they come out with larger quantities alloted for india in 2023, Especially with the C40.
This has now become the norm of many international automotive companies. Launch a product in minuscule numbers. Call it sold-out in few hours and tom-tom in media. Sad.

What is stopping them from forecasting better and importing a few hundreds of kit more based on demand?
BlackRaven is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 14:02   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
What is stopping them from forecasting better and importing a few hundreds of kit more based on demand?
In this particular case, forecasting demand for a product that hasn't really been sold much in a country is very difficult. So this seems more like a market testing exercise. Now that they know that the product is very well received at this price, they will certainly try to secure more units for the next year.

Also, in these times of chip shortages, supply is rather limited and demand is quite high. So, waiting times are very high and units are somehow being allocated across different markets. I feel India does get priority from many European manufacturers as waiting times in Europe itself are often longer than India. Strange times.
amansanc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 14:42   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by JShah View Post
It seems it's still available on their website and can be booked. Limited colours now though.
Volvo XC40 Recharge Electric SUV, now launched at Rs. 55.90 lakhs-volvo-bookings.jpg

Last edited by manson : 29th July 2022 at 09:25.
Exile is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 17:20   #99
BHPian

Bang on pricing and mighty power figures. Looks like Volvo has the winner at their hands in the EV segment.
Gypsian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 01:29   #100
BHPian

Booked the sage green model in hyd. Seems 30 units sold in hyd so far.

Terrific pricing, especially considering the next EV from a luxe brand is 1cr+

Also at 56 lacs ex-s, it is just 11lacs more than it’s petrol version. On road the difference is just ~8 lacs (51 VS 59).

Some pros
- Insane acceleration (big grins all around during test drives)
- Excellent braking (with great acceleration comes great braking needs!)
- free 3 yr service and rsa, 3 yr warranty package, and 8 year battery warranty
- baby steps towards connected car features and OTA updates
- killer Price (10 lacs lower than anticipated)
- did I say performance…oh boy is it fast! Like a rocket…silent and fasaaaast!

Some cons
- spare tyre does not have a slot in truck, and instead is loosely kept in trunk occupying luggage space!
- rear bench is bit upright with sub par thigh support (only niggle I have in my current xc40)
- the online booking process was bit cumbersome and the Volvo india app is useless
- no red color (the red offered in test drives was killer)
- no option of leather interiors or lighter beige option
- 320km real world usage vs suggested 420km means this is strictly a city car (most highway chargers max at 25kw!! means many hrs of waiting times for adding meaningful range)

All in all, I think xc40 recharge is a great car at a great price, until Tesla launches that is

Last edited by manson : 29th July 2022 at 09:26.
evolvo is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th July 2022, 23:51   #101
BHPian

Good pricing indeed . But my concern lies In the fact that these cars only get more expensive with time , especially in this sector ,better battery and motor tech leading to reduced production costs will only line the manufacturer's pockets as these benefits are rarely passed onto the end consumer.
Old 31st July 2022, 12:22   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Good pricing indeed . But my concern lies In the fact that these cars only get more expensive with time , especially in this sector ,better battery and motor tech leading to reduced production costs will only line the manufacturer's pockets as these benefits are rarely passed onto the end consumer.
Yes, looking at the Volvo launches in the recent past, i too believe the costs will increase from here.

Volvo has a history of offering intro prices to new launches to garner demand and buzz. For example, in 2018 the Volvo xc40 r-design diesel (high end model) launched at an intro price of 39.90 lacs and soon after the price jumped by a few lacs. Then they discontinued r-design and introduced base momentum at 39.90 lacs.

I’m guessing Volvo will do the same with Recharge. The current mode (twin motor, ultimate) price could be increased to 59.99 soon, or this model could be replaced with a single motor at same price.

However this all depends on the demand. Volvo has regularly discounted the petrol model by 3 lacs officially…so there’s that too.

Let’s see how the Recharge sells…so far few models showing sold out, yet most are available. The Sage Green was showing sold first, then available, now showing sold again…not sure what’s happening there (maybe some cancellations or increased inventory).

—-
If only the Recharge had
- an extra 100km range (420km real world usage vs 320)
- a slightly tweaked rear seat (less upright with more thigh support)
- better battery packaging (to retain 210mm ground clearance and spare tyre within lower boot like earlier)

…I would call it the perfect compact SUV

Last edited by evolvo : 31st July 2022 at 12:30. Reason: incorrect color mention, ‘intro’, diesel, 2018
evolvo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 13:02   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvo View Post
- an extra 100km range (420km real world usage vs 320)
I believe with very aggressive driving you get 320, with normal driving style you should get >350, with EV style (gentle throttle and regenerative braking) of driving you may get 420.
SKC-auto is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 13:18   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
I believe with very aggressive driving you get 320, with normal driving style you should get >350, with EV style (gentle throttle and regenerative braking) of driving you may get 420.
I really wish it is 350+ in india, but as mentioned in the many forums, reviews and videos worldwide, the Recharge Twin is one of the less efficient vehicles maybe due to its very powerful twin motor. The single motor version seems to have much better mileage figures.

Also the CMA platform though designed for both fuel and electric, is not as optimal for EV as say a flat skateboard platform like Tesla or Canoo, and as a result has sub-optimal packaging (rear floor hump, less cabin space, and haphazard placement of battery modules).

I wish I’m proven wrong but I doubt it as there’s just too much overwhelming evidence from various reviews worldwide. All are going bonkers for the performance and the looks , but meh with the mileage
evolvo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 19:42   #105
Senior - BHPian

Here is the Recharge brochure from Volvo India.

[ATTACH=Volvo-XC40-Pure-Electric.pdf]2340811[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Volvo-XC40-Pure-Electric.pdf (13.22 MB, 346 views)
sarathlal is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed