Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2020, 17:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: EV Conversion of my Maruti 800

Hi Stunfreak! I applaud your ingenuity. You are better than mainstream carmakers who move at glacial pace. Your project has thrown open the doors for many who are stuck with old cars which fetch next to nothing in used car market these covid days. And, for them to trade in their old car for a new car would be a pacific-ocean wide monetary leap, what with skyrocketing car prices and taxes on them. And, not to mention the galloping fuel prices as we speak.

That said, is it possible to electrify all regular cars, like sedans/SUVs from major carmakers like Maruti,Hyundai, Honda, Tata, Mahindra? If yes, this is one option people can exercise. Saves money on purchase and running expenses. Also, what about compliance with regulatory body, read RTO? They ok with it?
Old 24th June 2020, 20:50   #17
BHPian

What a sleeper your 800 is going to be! An inspiring conversion and a tastefully understated style. I was hunting for racing seats for my 2018 Alto 800, and my eyes hooked on the red seats you have installed.

Please share the make and model so that I could check whether the measurements match with my car's bracket dimensions. Did you drill new holes in the body to fit the seat? If I may ask, how much did those seats and steering wheel cost you?
sreeJiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 23:58   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
Since you have a bit longer trackwidth and probably additional weight due to a custom rear axle /sub-frame, do you plan to reinforce for lateral stiffness?
Did you happen to measure the weight of the whole car before, removing ICE powertrain and after putting in the electric powertrain? Would be interesting to know that in EP3
The additional weight is on the axle. Not on the suspended weight. The suspensions have been placed upright and the stiffness is much more than stock. Car is already too stiff as of now. Weight different will be shown in episode 3. Launching really soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Hi Stunfreak! I applaud your ingenuity. You are better than mainstream carmakers who move at glacial pace. Your project has thrown open the doors for many who are stuck with old cars which fetch next to nothing in used car market these covid days. And, for them to trade in their old car for a new car would be a pacific-ocean wide monetary leap, what with skyrocketing car prices and taxes on them. And, not to mention the galloping fuel prices as we speak.

That said, is it possible to electrify all regular cars, like sedans/SUVs from major carmakers like Maruti,Hyundai, Honda, Tata, Mahindra? If yes, this is one option people can exercise. Saves money on purchase and running expenses. Also, what about compliance with regulatory body, read RTO? They ok with it?
Hello thanks a lot for your kind words. Yes all cars can be electrified. There is a set of rules and regulations you need to follow in order to obtain a certificate from ARAI and then a RC REISSUE from RTO. It’s legally possible but expensive. We are in process of doing the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreeJiva View Post
What a sleeper your 800 is going to be! An inspiring conversion and a tastefully understated style. I was hunting for racing seats for my 2018 Alto 800, and my eyes hooked on the red seats you have installed.

Please share the make and model so that I could check whether the measurements match with my car's bracket dimensions. Did you drill new holes in the body to fit the seat? If I may ask, how much did those seats and steering wheel cost you?
Haha. Sleeper yes. But I intend to put a wide body kit on the car. Let’s see whether it still remains a sleeper. I’m hoping so.. the seats are imported non branded racing seats. Not too hi fi but quite nice. Comfy and sporty. We had to modify the rails a bit. But not the chassis.
stuntfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 15:59   #19
BHPian

You have an interesting build there !
Is there a provision for conversion from ICE to EV and getting the RC extended and endorsed with fuel type as electricity?
It would be a boon specially in NCR where cars are just being scrapped due to end of life after 10/15 years.
Old 11th July 2020, 23:05   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123.rishabh View Post
You have an interesting build there !
Is there a provision for conversion from ICE to EV and getting the RC extended and endorsed with fuel type as electricity?
It would be a boon specially in NCR where cars are just being scrapped due to end of life after 10/15 years.
Yes we are in the process of getting our build certified to get this officially done.
Old 12th July 2020, 01:09   #21
BHPian

I came across a YouTube video of e2o plus with 200+km range. After about 5 minutes realised that’s it’s out very own bhpian stuntfreek. How I wish you were in Chennai! I would have got a electric car built by you.

bronco is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 14:47   #22
BHPian

Support required ! M800 conversion to EV

Team,

I have a 1998 M800 - 4 Speed carb which went through a restoration process which has been documented on T-Bhp but well that's that ! Its not pretty much sitting idle and not being used as it needs more work and am not finding the right folks to do it !

The recent spate of EV's got my attention and so thought of converting it to a EV - I am not looking at something extra-ordinary but a regular EV kind of thing which will possibly be a 2 seater EV (If the rear seats need to go that's fine) - NO major structural mods being considered just a conversation from a IC engine to a EV - A range of about 150 Km will suffice and a top speed of say 80/90 km is more than enough.

I have been attempting to talk to Mr. Hemank of Northway MS but he has been busy and rightly so also they don't do conversations but only spares per se, Tried talking to e-trio nope they don't do either - tried some local folks and not convinced - Is there anyone who can be recommended to do this switch for me ? I reside in Chennai and can ship the car to anywhere not a problem - The budget is topped at say 5/6 Lakhs -

This car is of super high sentimental value and I aint giving it away ! hopefully not until I go 6 ft under !

Can anyone please help ?

I can look at bringing it back to working and it needs a full wiring harness and should be up and running I guess with a little bit of paint and corrosion work being done ! if I am recommended against the EV conversion then I will need help on a full wiring harness for a carb - 4 speed 800 - AC / 1998 model - looked everywhere ! no feedback ! and also a good mech and a new carb will go a long way if we don't make it a EV -

Its a long shot but I am totally available now and this is my big priority item hence confused questioning. Please pardon the long one !

Srini
Srini76 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 15:45   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Support required ! M800 conversion to EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srini76 View Post
This car is of super high sentimental value and I aint giving it away ! hopefully not until I go 6 ft under !
I would not have responded to your post since I do not have any info that can help you with your question. But the above line caught my eye.

If this car is of sentimental value to you, then Please - just maintain it as it is, and enjoy it.

We still do not have enough expertise that is easily accessible to convert a car reliably from ICE to BEV type. It is quite likely that the effort will not be upto your desired levels, and if that happens, then you will have lost the car.

If you really want to try a conversion, then get another M800 and work on it. You can take a call on conversion of your current car after the other car.

Our fellow member @varun560061 also has a 35 year old M800. He recently got the FC done again, and had it repainted, and did some nice functional mods. The car looks like new again. Btw, he had tried to turbo charge it, but blew a small hole in his pocket while doing it. The car has long back been brought back to stock setup.

Last edited by condor : 27th July 2021 at 15:47.
condor is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 16:28   #24
BHPian

Probably this thread can help you :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...vehicle-3.html (Converted my Chevrolet Beat to an Electric Vehicle!)

One of our members had converted his Chevrolet Beat to a EV. If i remember right he had also done a M800. At the outset, if you are thinking of doing it as a DIY project then i would not recommend it since it needs a complete infrastructure to convert a normal car to EV. As member @condor pointed out, if it has sentimental value then its better left untouched.
srini1785 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 13:56   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I would not have responded to your post since I do not have any info that can help you with your question. But the above line caught my eye.

If this car is of sentimental value to you, then Please - just maintain it as it is, and enjoy it.

We still do not have enough expertise that is easily accessible to convert a car reliably from ICE to BEV type..
Thanks Condor and Srini1785 -

I agree with Condors idea on the reliability part of the build is a question in the absence of the reputed builders and that will mean potentially scrapping the car as a whole which is a no-go situation for me.

I will need a full wiring harness(All parts of the wiring harness) and with that I am guessing a good part of the issues will be settled ! I just need to find a good electrical person (good as in committed and reliable) to undertake this work , some are talking about a custom built wiring harness - also willing to look at that in the true sense of the word !

I am looking at boodmo but have issues find the right kit ! while I continue to look at help from the community is more than welcome !

Maybe I will have my electric ambitions solved later as I am able to afford a full EV !

Thanks a ton Condor and Srini - Really helped me decide !

Srinivas

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks