Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2020, 12:50   #136
BHPian

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
A doctor from Andhra/Telengana has hit 15k already, he commutes 500km weekly so the high numbers. He said the car EMI is paying by itself with the saving on fuel.
That is true. However, point to be noted is he is having to charge on a daily basis and needs to maintain the charging infra at multiple places for that kind of usage. So point to be noted is shared public infrastructure is not there. You cannot use the car unless you have planned trips. This is not the car you can just use whenever you feel just because it is standing in your parking. It not only needs to be charged but you need careful analysis of where you are going and how far you are going when you use it. Also, the slow charging cannot be done just off "any" 15amp plug. It needs proper earthing and then only it charges correctly. Of course, this charging requirement is not tata specific. It is an ev requirement. But then again, it hampers the usability of the car.

My advice is you should buy a car if this is your second car which you can use only for city commutes. For highways, please do not even try it as for now. Within the city it is a good car and will save you a lot on fuel compared to ICE cars .

Our requests to Tata :

1. Please fix the software bugs, the unpredictable DTE and the range issues which multiple owners are having.
2. Please fix your app. You advertise of connected features but none of them work in reality. There is no use of waiting for 1-2 minutes to fire a command from the app without even knowing whether it worked or not. We could reach the car in that time and get stuff done without the app.
3. Please get your Fast charger network which has been promised to customers rolling asap. It is seriously hampering usability of the car.
4. Please give the option to switch off the regenerative braking. It kills the range on short highway trip considerably.
5. Please educate your dealers about your product. It seems customers know more than dealers at this moment. We have had bad service experiences so far because of lack of knowledge at the dealerships.
6. Please increase the ev service dealerships considerably. Because Tata is selling this product in every nook and corner of the country but the number of dealerships that can service EVs is just a handful.

Again I must say, the product is futuristic and good. But overall bundled with dealership experiences and the other issues, as a owner I feel, it is a half baked cake which has been served because market was hot. It needs a lot of work from Tata Motors specially on the software side to make it a perfect product.
shashankw839 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 14:26   #137
BHPian

Quote:
On this auspicious day of #GaneshChaturthi, #TataMotors delivered India's Own Electric SUV, the #TataNexonEV powered by #Ziptron to Mr. N. Chandrasekaran, Chairman, Tata Sons & Tata Motors.
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-imageuploadedbyteambhp1598086564.016505.jpg
In the image (L-H), Mr. Shailesh Chandra, President – Passenger Vehicle Business Unit hands over the electric SUV to Mr. N. Chandrasekaran and his wife Ms. Lalitha Chandrasekaran.

TataMotors EV

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 22nd August 2020 at 14:29.
TorqueIndia is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 23:21   #138
BANNED

I hope the CEO takes the car for a drive for 300km trip, thinking it will do 312km as told my the sales person
that is one way of them fixing that issue by either lowering expectation or giving us an add-on long range battery pack.
DarthVeda is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 12:35   #139
BHPian

EV owners, few quick questions to you
  • My daily commute after current crisis will be 65-70 kms. Which means I need to charge it twice in a week. Will such frequent charging impact the life of batteries?
  • I read in the forum somewhere that a new update will increase the range of Nexon EV. Any update on this?
  • Any EV owners in Hyderabad? Please ping me. I need to know about TASS service capabilities.
  • Any benefits in Telangana State on EV registrations?

I also plan to keep my fathers un-used Scala as a backup if I go EV route. Just for piece of mind. I cannot charge my vehicle at night as the vehicle will be parked outside all day long, I can charge it during daytime only.
Old 23rd August 2020, 12:54   #140
BHPian

Hello everyone, I've been very eager to buy a EV for a long time now mainly because I drive 80KMs everyday religiously for 26 days a month(Using a petrol honda city). I have test driven the Nexon EV and The MG Zs EV, comparing the two would be a crime. Tata has priced this EV at a very good price point but on the other hand MG zs EV feels like a TRUE EV to me which is much more of a EV than the Nexon. I'm torn between buying one of the two, but my mind isn't able to justify the price of 25 odd lakhs for MG and my heart doesn't want me to own a vehicle which cannot do more than 120kmph and less than 200kms of range!

I feel this category urgently needs a vehicle which bridges this gap brilliantly and only then a fence sitter like me would be convinced to buy one! The charging infra isn't a worry for me because I will be able to do 80kms easily everyday before charging it again, and I am not even considering EV for highway trips, for that I've got another vehicle.

Any news of any more upcoming EVs which according to experts here is going to be most desirable EV, like the Kia Soul?
Old 23rd August 2020, 13:43   #141
BHPian

Interesting video posted today on YouTube. This owner claims a real world mileage of 180kms after software update from Tata. He claims he is getting 2kms range for every 1% discharge after update. Before the software update it was 1.2 kms for every 1% discharge. This is under full AC and 2 people driving at D mode.

I guess this answers one of my questions posted above.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 16:51   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashcosmos View Post
I will be able to do 80kms easily everyday before charging it again, and I am not even considering EV for highway trips, for that I've got another vehicle.

Any news of any more upcoming EVs which according to experts here is going to be most desirable EV, like the Kia Soul?
You're right, the MG ZS EV isn't a 25 Lakh car by any stretch. Doesn't even have LED headlights and an auto dimming IRVM and the "experts" call it value for money and feature loaded.

The Nexon EV is the perfect choice for you - It's an additional car, meant to do under 100km a day, how does it matter if it does under 200km on a full charge and is limited to 120kph? Go for it! It's a brilliant product, your requirements are well within its capabilities, I see no reason to hold back! Will an EV that does 300km and over 120kph in this price range be nice to have? Yes. Do you need one? No!

If we don't patronise OEMs that are willing to make quality products like this, we can't expect them to keep investing money into this program.

As far as another vehicle on the horizon is concerned - It's going to be a a while - Mahindra might do an XUV300 EV, but just look at what a ridiculous display they had at the Auto Expo. I don't expect that to be ready anytime soon. Tata will probably improve the Nexon further by then. Kia's going to launch the Seltos EV apparently, but it'll take some time as well. In this price range, the Nexon is the best bet by far.

Last edited by DeKay : 23rd August 2020 at 16:54.
DeKay is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 17:14   #143
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
  • My daily commute after current crisis will be 65-70 kms. Which means I need to charge it twice in a week. Will such frequent charging impact the life of batteries?
  • I read in the forum somewhere that a new update will increase the range of Nexon EV. Any update on this?
  • Any EV owners in Hyderabad? Please ping me. I need to know about TASS service capabilities.
  • Any benefits in Telangana State on EV registrations?

I also plan to keep my fathers un-used Scala as a backup if I go EV route. Just for piece of mind. I cannot charge my vehicle at night as the vehicle will be parked outside all day long, I can charge it during daytime only.
1. No, it won't. you can do a mix of slow and fast charging, doing slow charge to 100% once a fortnight also will help balance the batter cell charges it seems. I have done 2 fast chargings and 2 slow chargings till now.
2. Only the DTE estimates will increase not the range, the way to increase the range is by adapting your driving style and this you will learn on your own, try to coast as much as possible on highway and minimize braking and use regen in city.
3. There are many who have bought from HYD and are in the whatsapp group, you don't need to worry about servicing, there isn't much to do.
4. You can check the benefits on tata website itself, based on the state, they will show the benefits.
DarthVeda is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 17:20   #144
BHPian

Quote:
3. There are many who have bought from HYD and are in the whatsapp group, you don't need to worry about servicing, there isn't much to do.
I ask because of my existing issues with TUV AMT. MASS is totally useless and depend on technicians from Mumbai for fixing even a small issue with my AMT. Sometimes my vehicle is at MASS for even 2 weeks and nothing is worked on it.

I don't want to face same issue with EV. If the TASS is incompetent, then it is history repeating itself to me. We cannot get it repaired outside also. This is why I am bit scared to adopt EV.
Old 23rd August 2020, 18:22   #145
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
2. Only the DTE estimates will increase not the range, the way to increase the range is by adapting your driving style and this you will learn on your own, try to coast as much as possible on highway and minimize braking and use regen in city.
New firmware update is not just a correction of DTE estimates but re-calibration of motor's power curve which increases the range too as per bhpian stuntfreak.
wheelguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 20:11   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
New firmware update is not just a correction of DTE estimates but re-calibration of motor's power curve which increases the range too as per bhpian stuntfreak.
If this is correct, shouldn't it have resulted in the rated range (312 km) also going up?

I really wonder how ARAI was able to extract 312 km from the car. Seems just impossible. With diesel and petrol cars, we can achieve the ARAI mileage easily while cruising on highway.

Last edited by pseudo_coder : 23rd August 2020 at 20:13.
Old 23rd August 2020, 20:24   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will just add to what Darthveda said, not an EV owner as of now but want to convey my understanding from what Bjorn Nyland videos.

Before we try to understand how to charge your EV also understand that we will never actually know what chemistry or characteristic your battery possesses.

The best way to keep your battery healthy is keep the charge around 50% as much as possible. Say you use only 40kms in a day use only 40-60% charge, if your usage is 120kms charge between 20-80%.

ABC - Always Be Charged, if your car has charge limiter, set the charge limiter to say 80% and leave the car charger always connected. This way you can also leave the car when you are not using for longer periods.

As Darthveda said, you need to full charge to 100% but I think this can be done monthly once or once every 3 months to balance the cells in a pack otherwise your BMS does not know the 100% mark ( also to 0% ) and reports wrong range numbers.

Less fast charging and other usual suspects.

Last edited by SKC-auto : 23rd August 2020 at 20:28.
Old 23rd August 2020, 20:33   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
I really wonder how ARAI was able to extract 312 km from the car. Seems just impossible. With diesel and petrol cars, we can achieve the ARAI mileage easily while cruising on highway.
In this video from Autocar, they were able to extract 563 kms per charge from MG ZS EV. Offcourse, these are extreme conditions and this is not how someone will drive in real life, but these numbers are higher than ARAI claimed 340 kms range.

There are videos made by Cartoq which shows double the mileage of claimed ARAI. It all boils down to our driving style, traffic conditions, electronics usage etc for EV.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 20:39   #149
BANNED

Quote:
I ask because of my existing issues with TUV AMT. MASS is totally useless and depend on technicians from Mumbai for fixing even a small issue with my AMT. Sometimes my vehicle is at MASS for even 2 weeks and nothing is worked on it.

I don't want to face same issue with EV. If the TASS is incompetent, then it is history repeating itself to me. We cannot get it repaired outside also. This is why I am bit scared to adopt EV.
there is no AMT here at work, it's a single gear and fewer moving parts. Battery is guaranteed for 8years or 1.6L km. You can leave your apprehensions behind and go for it, lot of people are on the same boat with you, at least you have a service center in your city, few folks are 250km away from one and can't reach there without a pit stop at plug point
DarthVeda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 20:51   #150
BHPian

Quote:
there is no AMT here at work, it's a single gear and fewer moving parts. Battery is guaranteed for 8years or 1.6L km.
I am not comparing AMT with EV single gear here. It was merely an example. Local mechanics do not understand how AMT works. My AMT gave up during lockdown, MASS was closed down. I was able to get hold of 2 local mechanics who had no clue how to fix it.

Finally MASS re-opened and it was fixed in 7 days. If any issue occurs with EV, no local mechanic will be able to even diagnose the issue.

My TUV has 5 years warranty 3+2 extended, but there is no piece of mind, in 3 years of ownership, it visited MASS 6-8 times for non-service related AMT issues. So I am really skeptical to adopt a new technology based on my sore experiences. TATA and M&M are not known for their service, it is always a hit or miss. So I wanted to understand how local TASS is able to assist in EV related issues etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks