Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2020, 21:45   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
In this video from Autocar, they were able to extract 563 kms per charge from MG ZS EV. Offcourse, these are extreme conditions and this is not how someone will drive in real life, but these numbers are higher than ARAI claimed 340 kms range.
The 563kms was possible only by driving in the early mornings or nights without any traffic, with the AC off at all times and with minimal stops whatsoever. It’s not an accurate metric for the driving range, you would obviously encounter traffic and switch on the AC in your daily commute! This was just to gain a record by Autocar and MG a clear promotional event!

The actual range would be close to the ARAI claimed range if not less.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 10:01   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
The 563kms was possible only by driving in the early mornings or nights without any traffic, with the AC off at all times and with minimal stops whatsoever. It’s not an accurate metric for the driving range, you would obviously encounter traffic and switch on the AC in your daily commute! This was just to gain a record by Autocar and MG a clear promotional event!

The actual range would be close to the ARAI claimed range if not less.
Yeah I know that. If you read my comments clearly, I mentioned these are extreme conditions and not normal driving conditions.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 10:42   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
In this video from Autocar, they were able to extract 563 kms per charge from MG ZS EV. Offcourse, these are extreme conditions and this is not how someone will drive in real life, but these numbers are higher than ARAI claimed 340 kms range.

Are there any similar videos of Tata Nexon EV and Hyundai Kona from Autocar? No offence meant, but more than an autocar video, it looks like MG sponsored video. I wish they make a similar video of Nexon EV, I'm curious to know its real world range, discharge rate of battery in a single stretch.

Last edited by WhiteSierra : 24th August 2020 at 10:47. Reason: Reduced Quoted text, used only relevant part
WhiteSierra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 11:20   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Are there any similar videos of Tata Nexon EV and Hyundai Kona from Autocar? No offence meant, but more than an autocar video, it looks like MG sponsored video. I wish they make a similar video of Nexon EV, I'm curious to know its real world range, discharge rate of battery in a single stretch.
None taken. It is sponsored by MG but executed carefully by Autocar. There are no other videos for Kona or Nexon EV from Autocar, however, there is one video done by Gaadiwadi for Kona EV. Link details are below, this one is not done in such extreme conditions, this is done with AC, Headlights, Music system on etc. Gave a mileage of 350+ for them.

ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 11:30   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Hypermiling by Autocar was a sponsored content from MG , since their ARAI rating of 340KM was not so great for a 44KWH battery pack , Nexon EV with a 30KWH pack got about 312KM, Hyundai KONA with 39KWH got a staggering 452KM !
MG proved it's battery pack strength with Autocar video under strict test conditions , but owners also can use these techniques to extend the range in emergency situations.

Hyundai is praised for its efficiency all over the globe , whether it's 39KWH or 64KWH Hyundai got a lot of efficiency tricks under its sleeves , here's a video from a Kona owner from Kerala, who does a 410KM trip from Trivandrum to Calicut in a single charge with AC and juice left with the battery for another 40KM at the end of the trip !

ARAI rating is based upon an estimation of consumption under standard conditions and it will not deplete the battery during the test. Rating of EVs based on the ARAI figures are as follows -

Kona EV - 11.5 KM/KWH
NEXON EV - 10.3 KM/KWH
MG ZS EV - 7.72 KM/KWH

From various EV owner reviews one can easily achieve 7 KM/KWH in Indian driving conditions for current set of new generation EVs available in India, that's about 210KM for Nexon , 300KM for MG and 275KM for Kona .

Maximum range reported by one Nexon EV owner is about 240KM for 90% battery under normal use , we are yet to see a hypermiling video record for Nexon EV that may shows its efficiency capabilities.

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 24th August 2020 at 11:32.
TorqueIndia is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 12:21   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Nexon EV real world range, video published by cartoq and made by Northeast Motorsport EV R&D.

Northeast Motorsport EV R&D channel who tested the Nexon EV

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrK...hSEvNQ7qHMWOrw
CEF_Beasts is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 17:42   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Northeast Motorsport EV R&D channel who tested the Nexon EV
This YouTube video is made by none another than our beloved Team BHP member stunfreak, he has already posted some threads in our forum on EV conversions.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...uti-800-a.html (EV Conversion of my Maruti 800)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...c-vehicle.html (Converted my Chevrolet Beat to an Electric Vehicle!)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...activa-ev.html (Converted my Honda Activa to an EV)
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 23:50   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
Hypermiling by Autocar was a sponsored content from MG , since their ARAI rating of 340KM was not so great for a 44KWH battery pack , Nexon EV with a 30KWH pack got about 312KM, Hyundai KONA with 39KWH got a staggering 452KM !
MG proved it's battery pack strength with Autocar video under strict test conditions , but owners also can use these techniques to extend the range in emergency situations.

Hyundai is praised for its efficiency all over the globe , whether it's 39KWH or 64KWH Hyundai got a lot of efficiency tricks under its sleeves , here's a video from a Kona owner from Kerala, who does a 410KM trip from Trivandrum to Calicut in a single charge with AC and juice left with the battery for another 40KM at the end of the trip !

https://Youtu.be/UG7Q7JvOHLY

ARAI rating is based upon an estimation of consumption under standard conditions and it will not deplete the battery during the test. Rating of EVs based on the ARAI figures are as follows -

Kona EV - 11.5 KM/KWH
NEXON EV - 10.3 KM/KWH
MG ZS EV - 7.72 KM/KWH

From various EV owner reviews one can easily achieve 7 KM/KWH in Indian driving conditions for current set of new generation EVs available in India, that's about 210KM for Nexon , 300KM for MG and 275KM for Kona .

Maximum range reported by one Nexon EV owner is about 240KM for 90% battery under normal use , we are yet to see a hypermiling video record for Nexon EV that may shows its efficiency capabilities.
This person is Sarath and works as a sales executive in Popular Hyundai, Cochin.
He is the person in charge of Kona over there, so he did this to see if he can actually manage 400km with careful driving.
Him being a salesperson doesn't really take away what he has accomplished in this video. I believe Kona can do around 400km if you can really understand the way regenerative braking works. Kona has one of the best regen systems and paddles make it extremely easy to use.

Saw a hypermiling video of Kona on youtube. Here's the video.

Note that these have 64.4kWh battery and each car managed more than 1000km. So going just by battery capacity, 39.2kWh should be able to do 610km.
But 64.4kWh Konas have around 200bhp and 39.2kWh versions have around 130bhp. So that might affect the range too. I guess it might do around 650km. Please correct me if I am wrong.
roshanvalsan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 15:49   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Nexon EV real world range, video published by cartoq and made by Northeast Motorsport EV R&D....Northeast Motorsport EV R&D channel who tested the Nexon EV
A subsequent video (uploaded a day later) talking about some of the improvements with the latest firmware updated which has improved the real-world range and also fixed issues with fast-charging.

Good to see Tata Motors being responsive and rolling out fixes soon. However, these shouldn't have cropped up in the first place. That said, coming from a software background, I shouldn't be making such statements

sachinayak is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 11:28   #160
BANNED

our fellow member Shashank had a talk with top bosses of Tata Motors EV, and it was good to know they are all for hearing feedback from first adopters and they are also aware of few "issues". They are pushing an update early September, which addresses some of them. It was good to hear their reasoning/logic for some of the quirks which we observed
DarthVeda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 11:41   #161
BHPian

Tata to supply 150 Nexon EVs to EESL.

Tender was for 250 EVs, remaining 100 are Hyundai Kona.

Quote:
Out of the total procurement, Tata Motors will supply 150 Nexon electric compact SUVs while Hyundai will supply 100 units of its Kona electric SUVs, they said.
Quote:
As per the latest deal, EESL will procure Tata Nexon at Rs 14.85 lakh each, just Rs 14,000 cheaper than its ex-showroom price of Rs 14.99 lakh. Kona, which offers a higher range, will be procured at an 11% lower price band of Rs 21.1 lakh.
ET
S.MJet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 14:08   #162
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Thanks to Amit Sapre for sending this in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!
Amit has another update for us:

Quote:
I have hit another problem w.r.t charging my car.

The mechanical pin which locks the charging gun during charging seems to be engaged. Now this pin is acting as an obstacle while inserting the gun. So I cannot charge the car.

I have attached a pic which shows the current charging slot. You can see a white-colored small stick which has protruded out of its position. That stick is now causing the charging gun to NOT fit properly.

Thanks,
Amit Sapre
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-nexon-charging-slot-issue.jpeg

Video describing the issue
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 14:17   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Similar issue was faced by @hemanth.anand on his Ather 450. This was resolved with restarting the scooter, and IIRC Ather said it will be resolved by software update.

Can the whole system reboot(if such thing can be done) helps.
SKC-auto is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 15:03   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
UPDATE : TML Technician visited my place yesterday evening. Really appreciate prompt response from KHT Motors, Bangalore.

The problem got fixed after he showed a way on how to dis-engage the lock pin. He also cautioned me to NOT try this method as a default way. He said it could be misused by other folks.

I am not elaborating in detail on how he did. But to give an idea : He manually, using a lever mechanism, moved the pin-lock back to it normal position. Now the charging gun fits properly and I could charge the car.

During a couple of minutes of interaction regarding this issue, he did mention that he is aware of similar issues reported but it was observed while car was being charged.
For him it was first time see the pin lock engaged without the charging gun inserted.
AmitSapre is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 16:32   #165
BHPian

Hello members,

Anyone from Delhi who have already purchased or planning to purchase Nexon EV. I would like to know if you have applied( planning to) for latest FAME subsidy?
What about road tax and registeration fees?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks