Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2020, 20:47   #256
BHPian

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmitSapre View Post
Nexon EV goes under the hammer for feature cut :

XZ+ (mid variant) has following changes so far :
  • Centre armrest with cup holders removed.
  • Read seat head rest is not fixed.

https://nexonev.tatamotors.com/features/ site confirms these updates.

For a car costly more than 15L, these changes are

PS : For an EOM, who is putting ads about safety, is NOW removing adjustable head rests .
Yes, it's such a bummer, another glaring omission is that the 60:40 split is shown as given in the lux version only.
Old 24th November 2020, 15:19   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmitSapre View Post
Nexon EV goes under the hammer for feature cut :

XZ+ (mid variant) has following changes so far :
  • Centre armrest with cup holders removed.
  • Read seat head rest is not fixed.

https://nexonev.tatamotors.com/features/ site confirms these updates.

For a car costly more than 15L, these changes are

PS : For an EOM, who is putting ads about safety, is NOW removing adjustable head rests .
I got the mid variant delivered 12 days back and both are there. Wonder if the changes will reflect in coming month.

I had booked the LUX variant initially, but then figured the sunroof in India is a pain. You'll never use it yet it will be a source of problems (especially dirt/grime accumulating at border lines)..

So removing things from mid-variant is not good.
hkollar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 15:41   #258
Mik
BHPian

I am contemplating buying the Nexon EV for my wife and for the last few days have been devouring any and every content on this.
Test rode the EV and found it truly to be the car of the future. Being a dieselhead, never thought I would like Electric but heck - I am a convert

I have three questions regarding the battery which the sales advisor deflected during our interaction.

1. What happens if my battery rapidly starts draining post 8 years. Would the eco-system at that time allow for replacement (at whatever cost. I read somewhere that prices will come down drastically from a currently rumoured 4.5 lakhs)
2. Heard that the latest software updates have increased the range for everyone. Is it true? Also, any chance we can expect more such updates eventually help tip over 250km range for most users.
3. I got a cheaper quote on insurance from Digit. 61xxx for ZX+Lux. The sales advisor did mention that most insurances won't even cover the battery etc. Should I ignore that.

Last edited by vb-saan : 27th November 2020 at 14:48. Reason: As requested
Mik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 13:38   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
1. What happens if my battery rapidly starts draining post 8 years. Would the eco-system at that time allow for replacement (at whatever cost. I read somewhere that prices will come down drastically from a currently rumoured 4.5 lakhs)
2. Heard that the latest OTA updates have increased the range for everyone. Is it true? Also, any chance we can expect more such updates eventually help tip over 250km range for most users.
3. I got a cheaper quote on insurance from Digit. 61xxx for ZX+Lux. The sales advisor did mention that most insurances won't even cover the battery etc. Should I ignore that.
1. The batteries definitely will get cheaper, but OEM prices may not reduce that much. I checked the price of my E2O battery with Mahindra and they still claim it will be around 16K per module. Out of 16 modules, 3 have reduced capacity to 85% because of which all the remaining modules were manually recalibrated with 85% capacity reducing my range by 15%. If I change those 3 modules, my range will be back to 100%. I enquired with some Li battery dealers and they have the exact same battery module for around 6K.

2. The laws of physics does apply here. 250+KM with 30KWh (28KWh available) battery might be a far fetch. A super light vehicle like e2o barely manages 80-100Wh per KM. Even with the most efficient and slow driving it is difficult to go below 110Wh per KM with Nexon. I usually average around 115Wh/KM in my Nexon despite having years of driving experience extracting the maximum range in an E2O. At this consumption rate, I may be able to touch 240KM per charge in city conditions after the update (I am yet to update the software). The recent update was to reduce the reserve battery capacity thus making 28KWh capacity available for the user. Before update it was much less. With even more careful and slow driving, you can definitely go beyond 250KMs, but that will need extraordinary patience and with a powerful vehicle like Nexon, it is just a matter of minutes before you fall for temptation to enjoy the acceleration.
Edit: Not aware of any OTAs yet for Nexon. You still have to visit the Service center for updates.

3. Battery is covered for accidental damages by Insurance. The 12v aux battery will come under consumables and hence may not get coverage. The sales advisor must be confused with the coverage for Aux battery with main battery. To be on safer side, do take the "Consumable Cover" add-on which covers everything from batteries to fluids.

Last edited by Holyghost : 27th November 2020 at 13:48.
Holyghost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 12:48   #260
BHPian

Nexon EV sales crosses 2000 mark in 10 months !

Quote:
Tata Nexon EV sales cross 2,000 units in 10 months; electric version of popular compact SUV sees growing consumer acceptance https://t.co/nle9co8b5x

@BosePratap

Autocar Professional

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 3rd December 2020 at 12:55.
TorqueIndia is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 13:00   #261
Team-BHP Support

Tata Motors has announced that the Nexon EV has surpassed the 2,000 sales milestone. The company has stated that in just over 10 months since its launch, the sales of the Nexon EV reached 2,200 units as of November 2020.

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-image-1.jpeg

The 1,000th Nexon EV was rolled out in August this year. The next 1,000 units were sold in a record time of 3 months (September-November 2020). The Nexon EV has emerged as the best-selling electric car in India. At present, Tata Motors claims to be leading the EV segment with a 74% market share.

The Nexon EV uses a 30.2 kWh lithium-ion battery that powers an electric motor which has an output of 127 BHP and 245 Nm. The company claims that the car can do a 0-100 km/h sprint in 9.9 seconds. The battery is said to have an ARAI-certified maximum range of over 312 km on a single charge (MIDC cycle). It has fast charging capability and can be charged to 80% of its capacity using a DC fast charger in 1 hour. Using a standard AC charger, it takes 8-9 hours to charge to 100%.

The Nexon EV is priced from Rs. 13.99 lakh – Rs. 16.25 (lakh ex-showroom). It comes with an 8-year / 1.6 lakh km warranty for the battery and motor. Tata Motors has also launched monthly subscription plans for the car.

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd December 2020 at 13:02.
Aditya is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 13:19   #262
RSR
Senior - BHPian

This is a commendable achievement by Tata!

As things stand, the Nexon EV is the most affordable proper electric car in India. Also, the Nexon happens to be the only car in India that's currently available with a choice of petrol, diesel and electric powertrain options (Tigor diesel and Verito petrol & diesel were discontinued post BS6 implementation).

What Tata have shown with the Nexon EV is that it's perfectly possible to convert an ICE car platform into a good EV. I wonder what's stopping other manufacturers from doing so? Is it a serious lack of intent or a worry among manufacturers that customers would abandon ICE vehicles quicker than they would like?

Last edited by RSR : 3rd December 2020 at 13:48.
RSR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 13:33   #263
BHPian

It's a great achievement

Tata also has Altroz and HBX EVs in the pipeline expected to be released in the next 1-2 years. Those 2 cars will make EVs even more affordable. Hopefully, they continue to improve these EVs every 2 years with bigger batteries as the battery prices continue to decline rapidly.
sri_tesla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 14:29   #264
Senior - BHPian

According to me, this is a tremendous achievement by Tata Motors for two reasons:

1. Nobody expected Tata to leapfrog Mahindra (with all their Reva experience) and the rest of the global brands (that have proper EVs in their portfolio already) and come up with a proper EV at a price point Indians could actually afford.

2. Despite being beaten to launch by Hyundai and MG, Tata Motors have had the last laugh with the Nexon EV racing ahead in sales. This is a no-brainer as the difference in range between the Nexon EV and it's rivals from MG and Hyundai isn't as significant as their retail prices suggest.

Good work, Tata! Now, all they need to do is to get the Altroz EV and HBX EV to the market quickly and build a substantial lead in the nascent but fast-growing EV landscape in India.
arvi86 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 14:42   #265
Senior - BHPian

The Tata Nexon is the most affordable EV I think right now. Also other than the drive train, spare parts might come by easily since they share the same parts with the normal ICE nexon.

Tata needs to push this EV aggressively. They have the first mass segment EV car in their hands.
TrackDay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 17:19   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
The Tata Nexon is the most affordable EV I think right now. Also other than the drive train, spare parts might come by easily since they share the same parts with the normal ICE nexon.

Tata needs to push this EV aggressively. They have the first mass segment EV car in their hands.
Tata has always excelled in being the first mover and launching the right products at the right time. The first small diesel hatchback (Indica diesel), first MUV (Sumo), Premium SUV (Safari), sub 4m sedan, small pick up (Ace) etc...etc...all these were very successful launches.

No doubt Tata understands the Indian market, has the right R&D skills and has always taken the market lead immediately after launch. Yet, in some cases one sees them lose focus and drift away letting competition step in and rule roost.

I know Tata Motors is a different company now and I sincerely hope they do not take the foot of the pedal when it comes to the EV space. Maruti are too stubborn and care free when it comes to EVs, they will pay a heavy price in due course.

TML have a winner in their hands with the Nexon EV and the upcoming Altroz and HBX EV variants. Share prices and valuations of random new EV makers many of whom haven't even sold a 100 cars are going through the roof globally. TML if they play their cards right can turn their fortunes around using the EV revolution, as a well wisher I really do hope so.
shortbread is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 21:31   #267
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors have done with the Nexon EV what they didn't do with the Nano - made a proper car, without any missing features/functions. The results are there for everyone to see.

Looks like Nexon EV's monthly sales will soon cross that of Aria/Hexa.
Old 3rd December 2020, 23:29   #268
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
2. Heard that the latest software updates have increased the range for everyone. Is it true? Also, any chance we can expect more such updates eventually help tip over 250km range for most users.
1. the way the battery tech changes are coming in, and the prices dropping, in 8 years, you might be looking at solid state batteries. I am thinking when that does happen, what if you could just swap the battery out with the current one. It should still work, maybe some new BMS chip needs to be programmed but your existing vehicle would continue to work.
2. The increase range happened because the previous software wasn't fully utilizing the full battery capacity (28.6kwh usable). It was utilizing 23kwh in my case and for most of the cars, this fixed that and lo and behold you got additional range, the other change in software to eek out more range is reduce torque burst and changes to regen.
DarthVeda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 23:40   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post

The increase range happened because the previous software wasn't fully utilizing the full battery capacity (28.6kwh usable). It was utilizing 23kwh in my case and for most of the cars, this fixed that and lo and behold you got additional range, the other change in software to eek out more range is reduce torque burst and changes to regen.

With 28.6 kwh usable battery now, how much range are you able to get in normal city usage with AC and headlights on?
Old 5th December 2020, 10:49   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
With 28.6 kwh usable battery now, how much range are you able to get in normal city usage with AC and headlights on?
I got my vehicle delivery 3 weeks back. Not sure what is the usable battery as there is no indication on dashboard. My driving suggests that my usable range is about 170Km with AC on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
Tata Motors have done with the Nexon EV what they didn't do with the Nano - made a proper car, without any missing features/functions. The results are there for everyone to see.

Looks like Nexon EV's monthly sales will soon cross that of Aria/Hexa.
I am a TATA Sceptic. I always liked their design & engineering team, but never liked their Quality Assurance & services team.

Nexon is a wonderful vehicle (even non EV version). And Nexon EV is a pleasure to drive, and makes me question my decision to go with Brezza last year.

Hope their QA/service levels have improved. A company that can bring out a brilliant product like Nexon deserves to succeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
I enquired with some Li battery dealers and they have the exact same battery module for around 6K.
This is interesting. I have a 6yr old E2O. Haven't noticed any range degradation yet, but didn't know you could get battery modules from 3rd party. A friend has one module that has depleted. He may want to change.

Where did you get the 6K price? Wonder if we can replace it outside of Mahindra at all (because it may also need BMS tuning)?
hkollar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks