Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2020, 11:23   #271
BANNED

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
With 28.6 kwh usable battery now, how much range are you able to get in normal city usage with AC and headlights on?
was able to hit 230 with 5% left. I stay in a hilly terrain area, if it was less inclined that number can easily climb to 250+. The range anxiety is always there for folks who bought it new or yet to buy, once you get used to it, that is never their on your mind anyway. We had one 62 year old guy travelling to Hubbali from Bengaluru and back, that's a 1000km circuit with no FC infra outside Bengaluru. You can do these type of travels, you just need planning before that. Once FC comes up on highways, you will wonder how you were so hesitant initially
DarthVeda is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 14:21   #272
BHPian

My friend wants to buy a TATA Nexon EV and export it to GCC country ( Oman) . Is this possible ? Please detail the steps if possible .
shasha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 18:41   #273
BHPian

A doctor from Kerala has found a way to run his EV-Nexon for free, well almost, by installing a solar panel for charging his car, which is very innovative to say the least. The excess electricity he generates, he gives it back to the electricity department who pay him, that way he will get back his installation charge. This may be a first, as i have not heard of anyone doing the same.

The you tube video is in Malayalam, but a subtitle is provided for people who don’t follow the language.

sparky@home is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 23:09   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
A doctor from Kerala has found a way to run his EV-Nexon for free, well almost, by installing a solar panel for charging his car, which is very innovative to say the least. The excess electricity he generates, he gives it back to the electricity department who pay him, that way he will get back his installation charge. This may be a first, as i have not heard of anyone doing the same.
This is not anything new. I have a Grid-Tie solar setup for the past 5 years and have been receiving money from KSEB every year.
Now that I have the Nexon EV, I doubt I will receive any money in future. But even after 2 months and 2500KM of EV usage, My monthly power bills has not gone above Rs60. For the Month of Nov, my net export was just 1KWH of power, usually it hovers around 30-50 units of net export.

We already have a thread for this. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...-home-etc.html (Using Solar / Wind Power in India (EV charging, home etc.))

Edit: I did a 900KM Trivandrum-Calicut round trip last weekend with 6 Fast charging stops. 3 were just Top-ups for 10-15 mins, rest were full charges taking 45-55 mins. KSEB has setup Fast charging stations at Trivandrum, Kollam, Ernakulam, Thrissur, Calicut and Kannur. EV Charging is free until Feb 6 and I did not have to spend a single rupee for the 900KM travel. All fast chargers were working fine. There were minor issues with charging at Calicut and Thrissur when the Fast charger went into a hung state. Later realized the mistake was mine since we connected the charger to the car before I switched off the vehicle. The machine will have to be reset if it gets stuck and in most stations, the supply boxes are locked and you need help from the staff to open the distribution box and switch off/switch on the machine.

Some Pictures from Fast Charging Stations:
Charging at Kollam
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-kollam.jpg

3 Nexons Waiting at Ernakulam Fast Charging Station
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-ernakulam.jpg

Charging in Thrissur at Midnight
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-thrissur2.jpg

Calicut
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-calicut.jpg

Last edited by Holyghost : 8th December 2020 at 23:38.
Holyghost is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 10:42   #275
BHPian

This forum has helped me in the past with my Fiat Palio purchase around 12 years back. Now I am exploring an EV as a replacement. I am planning to check out on Nexon EV in the coming 2 weeks. My worry is that Mysore doesn't have a fast charging center. As my travel to Kerala from Bangalore is through a forest section, does not want to take any chance with the charge. Any idea whether this route will have a Fast Charge Center ?

As hkollar pointed out earlier, Tata has done on Nexon what they missed out on Nano. I seriously want Nano back as an EV with a "Nexonified" interiors and major features exclusively for City Driving. It would be a pleasure to drive that in the busy roads of Bangalore.
Prasidhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 11:41   #276
BANNED

There is a fast charger at Mysuru since this week, you can use it.

If you are travelling to Kerala, then you can follow what our fellow owner Regan did, he want through Salem, Coimbatore, Thrissur, Ernakulam, Kollam to Thiruvananthapuram.
There's a FC after Salem on the way to Coimbatore, and there is another at Coimbatore which should be operational shortly. KSEB has excellent infrastructure with FC at the above cities in Kerala.
DarthVeda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 12:17   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post

If you are travelling to Kerala, then you can follow what our fellow owner Regan did, he want through Salem, Coimbatore, Thrissur, Ernakulam, Kollam to Thiruvananthapuram.
There's a FC after Salem on the way to Coimbatore, and there is another at Coimbatore which should be operational shortly. KSEB has excellent infrastructure with FC at the above cities in Kerala.
Thank you, that's a good news that Mysore has a fast charger. I travel to Wayanad and Calicut in Kerala, so the route normally is Bangalore --> Mysore --> HD Kote --> Bavali --> Mananthavady

(or)

Bangalore --> Mysore --> Gundulpet --> Sulthan Bathery --> Kalpetta --> Calicut.

So, one charge at Mysore should be able to take me to Wayanad and then onwards should not be a problem as I can stay in Wayanad. Heard from a KSEB friend that Sulthan Batheri/Kalpetta is also in KSEB list to have charging stations.
Old 9th December 2020, 12:41   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post

Are there any Fast Chargers between Salem and Bangalore? We should be able to reach Salem from Bangalore easily since it is downhill journey. But going from Salem to Bangalore will be a challenge due to the uphill ghat section at Krishnagiri. Do you know if anyone had made a Salem - Bangalore trip in a Nexon EV? I have to travel to Bangalore from Trivandrum this month and I am wondering if I could make the trip on my EV.
Holyghost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 14:45   #279
Senior - BHPian

Salem has fast charging system.
Bangalore to Salem is 204Kms. On the return journey request any of the Tata service centres or their showrooms midway for a charging point. They should be able to help you out on this.
speedmiester is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 15:47   #280
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Are there any Fast Chargers between Salem and Bangalore? We should be able to reach Salem from Bangalore easily since it is downhill journey. But going from Salem to Bangalore will be a challenge due to the uphill ghat section at Krishnagiri. Do you know if anyone had made a Salem - Bangalore trip in a Nexon EV? I have to travel to Bangalore from Trivandrum this month and I am wondering if I could make the trip on my EV.
there's a slow charger available at Hosur courtesy Relux charging, you can use them to do a small top up and reach FC at Hosur road, after Nice road junction.
DarthVeda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 15:49   #281
Senior - BHPian

Oh you lucky guys. Lesser mortals here are paying 90Rs per litre for fuel in Mumbai. How much does a 1200 KM distance will cost in terms of money for the Nexon in a month? How many extra units of current is needed for the said distance per month?

Thanks.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 16:02   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Oh you lucky guys. Lesser mortals here are paying 90Rs per litre for fuel in Mumbai. How much does a 1200 KM distance will cost in terms of money for the Nexon in a month? How many extra units of current is needed for the said distance per month?

Thanks.
If you charge exclusively at home, the typical cost per Km will be around 1-1.5Rs/KM. If you use the fast charging setups, this may increase to 2Rs/KM depending on the charging setup.
speedmiester is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 20:33   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post

Thanks.
Nexon needs ~30 Units for 200KMs of normal driving. If you calculate at the highest slab of Rs 7 per unit, it comes to Rs210 for 200KM or Rs1/KM.
Private fast charging stations charge Rs15-20 per Unit. I paid Rs18/KWh at Kottayam Tata Showroom Fast Charger. That translates to Rs540 for 200KM or Rs2.7/KM.

Govt DisCom sponsored fast chargers might charge <Rs10 per unit which should translate to <Rs1.5/KM. As mentioned earlier Kerala's KSEB is providing free fast charging at its Charging Stations for 3 months.

I have a 3KW solar setup at home and the consumption has been negative since last 4-5 years. In my case, 1200KM will need 180 Units and should cost Rs723 at an ~telescopic rate of Rs4 per unit. If not on telescoping rate (For consumption above 300Units/month), 180KWh should cost Rs990 at flat rate of Rs5.5.
Holyghost is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 22:38   #284
BHPian

A 200kms range is generally sufficient for 2 days of use for most people!

Imagine driving 100 kms in a day in a city like Bengaluru, which has the world's worst jams!

Sure, even if you manage to cover 200kms per day in the city, what would your fuel efficiency be like? 8 KMPL? 10 KMPL? 15 KMPL tops.

I suppose slow-moving traffic works in an electric car's favor.

Though I do not know the actual ownership costs of the Nexon, currently it is probably the most affordable full-sized electric SUV in the market.

If UK keeps its promise of banning ICE by 2030, the ICE car sale will be really small in 2025 in the UK. Other countries will follow suit as well. If India sets 2035 as the date, that means we will be transitioning to electric cars within the decade.

It will be like the Android smartphone transition! One day buttons, the next day huge screens!

Last edited by Mafia : 9th December 2020 at 22:40.
Mafia is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 08:48   #285
BHPian

Any merit in this article ? https://www.cartoq.com/tata-nexon-ev-range-boost/

I get a feeling that the SW was buggy and got updated but nothing essentially happened w.r.t range, can EV owners confirm?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks