Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2021, 23:51   #406
BHPian

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallmaster View Post
Saw this video on yt of a customer complaining about Nexon's range on full charge and general apathetic customer service of Tata.
Typical high handed attitude in the way he talks when they tell him that maybe he needs to change his driving style. Quite appalling that people are so stuck up and soo "you dont know who i am" or "you will teach me" etc etc, i have mercedes . I mean hey new technology keeps coming into the market, whats wrong if someone gives you a run through when you are using something new ? I have been driving since the last 21 years but every time i buy a new car, i spend a few days driving the new car as if i am learning how to drive for the first time as every car has a different way of being driven to extract the best performance from it. For example the hybrid needs to run more on EV mode to extract more efficiency and a M model is driven more on high revs so as to extract the best engine crackles from it. Whats to get upset about it and make such a noise about it ?

Many people drive with a very heavy foot and that results in bad efficiency, maybe this gentleman is one of those and if he is unable to extract even 200 kms from his car either the car has a fault or his driving and charging behaviour isnt correct. I would still recommend him to put his "you dont know me" attitude aside for once and check with Tata Motors and figure it out and if its still not up to the mark then identify with the team at Tata Motors whats the issue because the Nexon EV is one of the best EV in the market and this kind of target enmity towards it seems suspect from somebody who doesnt want them to get recognised.

Everyone roasting EV owners on this thread including the moderators should once twice think that if there are no first adopters then there would be no second or third model which is perfectly fine tuned. There was a time even when gas cars were this problematic. No one or no technology is born perfect.

Im honestly quite proud of Tata motors on the Nexon EV. I thought i would never buy a Tata car but the Nexon EV makes me want to reconsider that thought to use it for the city.

Last edited by M00M : 18th March 2021 at 23:55.
M00M is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 10:30   #407
BHPian

This is quite worrying. Hope there's some follow up by Tata and the person has this resolved quickly, would be great if we could find out what caused this.

Still waiting for my Nexon EV, the delivery date keeps getting pushed though now im thinking it might not be a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanker View Post
Came across another Nexon EV incident - stuck and refusing to move

EV issues will certainly get more spotlight then internal combustion engine counterparts. However, there are not so many Nexon EVs on the road to have this many cases coming up.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=EDcu0gCsqZY
Old 20th March 2021, 11:14   #408

I seldom argue on a forum, perhaps both the gentleman who posted the video and you are right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Typical high handed attitude in the way he talks when they tell him that maybe he needs to change his driving style. Quite appalling that people are so stuck up and soo "you dont know who i am" or "you will teach me" etc etc, i have mercedes .
So, even with our infatuation with foreign cars this gentleman has taken a punt and bought a Tata. If this was an isolated incident that happened only to him, what you say is fully valid. There have been multiple posts here and I know of atleast 2 friends in Chennai itself facing the same issue. Coincidentally doctors owning multiple cars where Nexon EV stopped midway on the road and the service guys after keeping it for a week or so, say the car has no problems and advise the owner to drive the EV properly.

Is the level of customer satisfaction or post-purchase service we're signing up for ?

Quote:
I mean hey new technology keeps coming into the market, whats wrong if someone gives you a run through when you are using something new ?

Many people drive with a very heavy foot and that results in bad efficiency, maybe this gentleman is one of those and if he is unable to extract even 200 kms from his car either the car has a fault or his driving and charging behaviour isnt correct.
While there may have been many cases where the salesman or the dealer would have offered/showed how to drive, from my experience the dealer guys as well as the Tata representative at the dealers are woefully short of Nexon EV knowledge, and are more intent on making a sale and making claims like at Rs.7.5 an unit you'll use only so many units on full charge and hence save money at today's petrol cost.

Quote:
I would still recommend him to put his "you dont know me" attitude aside for once and check with Tata Motors and figure it out and if its still not up to the mark then identify with the team at Tata Motors whats the issue because the Nexon EV is one of the best EV in the market and this kind of target enmity towards it seems suspect from somebody who doesnt want them to get recognised.
Remember, he has already bought the car, so what enmity do you see ? And he also checked with Tata motors and based on *their* attitude he's complaining as a customer. If he'd not reached out to anybody and his first reaction was on twitter/youtube I'd certainly agree with you.

BTW a friend of mine went to check out Safari at TaMo Chromepet, Chennai. There was nobody to attend him for half an hour when the showroom was empty, apparently all the sales guys were in a meeting. Later a salesperson wasn't even willing to discuss the features of the car as he was apparently busy with something else. My friend wanted to complain to the TaMo customer service but couldn't find it on TaMo website - maybe it was hidden or not placed prominently.

My impression is while Tata has got a relatively good product in Nexon EV, it still suffers from post-sales and customer service drawbacks and needs to improve more there.

Quote:
Everyone roasting EV owners on this thread including the moderators should once twice think that if there are no first adopters then there would be no second or third model which is perfectly fine tuned. There was a time even when gas cars were this problematic. No one or no technology is born perfect.
Ironically while preaching to others, you're roasting an EV owner/first adopter who took the time to post his experience. Maybe you didn't like his messaging, but his experience as a buyer isn't pleasant and the likes of him deserve better treatment from TaMo. Pl remember he came out of his "foreign car comfort zone" and bought an early model Indian EV.

Quote:
Im honestly quite proud of Tata motors on the Nexon EV. I thought i would never buy a Tata car but the Nexon EV makes me want to reconsider that thought to use it for the city.
Well, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Please show your pride in TaMo by buying an Nexon EV asap and show us you walk as well you talk. I'm eagerly awaiting your buyer/driving experience notes.
shawshank is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 14:38   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawshank View Post
I seldom argue on a forum, perhaps both the gentleman who posted the video and you are right.
You seldom argue yet here you are arguing and taking it personally and attacking me without reading the right spirit of my post.

1. I never insulted the gentlemen neither have I roasted him. I am questioning him based on his attitude. He bought a car, car has performance issues, before showing about whatever he owns or doesn’t own, he should try to either properly learn how to drive that particular car as all cars have a different driving style or tell TAMO to fix it. Now if his driving style is perfect for an EV then there is a problem with the car. And TAMO has to fix it or they should be dragged to consumer court and told them to fix it and be penalised. Last night I saw a nexon ev YouTube video where the people from Pune drove to Goa and back in it by charging once mid way each way and they claim to have got 256 kms while going down hill and 230 kms while going up hill. They have shared all their experiences on YouTube in the video and even answered questions.

2. Enmity I didn’t mean from the gentleman but there is targeted short burst of attacks towards nexon ev. Now if you want to go by the book on range that way Maruti and Honda and Toyota Hyundai etc and all claim to deliver 19 kmpl and even more but never do. So then we should drag them also and complain about them also. Why only target nexon ev.

3. Customer service is not the forte of TAMO and M&M heck even Maruti Honda Toyota and Hyundai Kia have had customer service issues. Heck even the German trio and skoda etc are blasted regularly. It mostly depends on how your service manager is and how good a rapport you have with him. So while I understand his frustration all these things need to be taken into consideration before the purchase. I personally have gone into a Kia and told to wait like how you have mentioned for 20 mins after which no one came and I saw the car and walked out. Have had a similar experience even at Skoda. Recently I went to see the Jeep Compass facelift for a friend and the TD car was in a bad shape at 3800 kms so I told them to fix it otherwise customers wouldn’t buy it. Mind you even the Kia Seltos was rattling at 4500 kms on my TD .

4. Thank you for your good wishes on me wishing to buy a nexon ev. I don’t need to change my cars right now for the next few years because all my cars are relatively new and in good condition so when I do have to change I shall go for the latest product at the time in my budget and agreeing with my criteria.

And once again I have not attacked the gentleman or you or anyone else for that matter, it is a very Indian thing when someone tells you to update your skills on a new technology people get defensive. I recently drove a vintage convertible car and I kept stalling it as I was not keeping the clutch pressed longer so rather than arguing with them I followed their advice. There is nothing wrong with understanding that every car is driven differently.
M00M is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 18:16   #410
BHPian

Quote:
he should try to either properly learn how to drive that particular car as all cars have a different driving style
I will disagree. Only thing that is completely different with EV is regenerative breaking. Rest all parameters that influence energy/fuel consumption are the same as a conventional car. The more aggressive one is with the throttle the worse will be efficiency. The speed to efficiency correlations are also about the same.

Coming back to regenerative breaking, I have been driving an EV for a last few months (Not an Nexon EV). I have tried to adjust my driving style to use maximize regen and tried driving with minimum regen (lifting and coasting like a conventional car). Even with the switch between the extremes, I haven't seen any notable change in the efficiency. This kind of tests have been done by other people on other EVs with similar outcomes.

Nexon EV doesn't even feature a variable regeneration levels. In such a scenario, I am not sure what is there to learn beyond what is already know about driving economically.

I like Nexon EV as a product concept, but it currently isn't delivering on few critical aspects. Pointing this out is not bashing.
flanker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 19:55   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanker View Post
I like Nexon EV as a product concept, but it currently isn't delivering on few critical aspects. Pointing this out is not bashing.

Agree with you but Regarding different styles for different cars I have explained myself in the above posts comparing a hybrid and a performance car. However if this gentleman car is delivering only 100 kms then there is something wrong with the car maybe some software glitch or battery glitch and all that is expected of a first gen product. I have not bashed anybody. I have only criticised the attitude. He should take TAMO to consumer court if he feels he has been cheated.

I test drove the kona EV it had a very good different levels of regen. The regen in one of the modes was very very instant. But the ride was very very stiff and there was no space behind a 6 footer.

I think once Tesla comes we will have rush of EV activity as manufacturers will not want to loose out to Tesla. Let’s see. If you have seen videos of the new VW ID4 it’s a promising product. All these manufacturers should be introducing these products in india rather than continuing with petrol and diesel power new models.
Old 22nd March 2021, 11:51   #412
BHPian

After over a month of waiting (as well as several months of planning), my family and I finally took delivery of our Nexon EV XZ+ Glacier White yesterday . I will definitely share my initial ownership experience after a couple months of use. Bought the car from Sagar Motors, Sector 5 Noida and the process was relatively smooth and straightforward. The team seemed eager to sell the car since day 1 of the formalities process. The car is definitely quite good-looking (apart from the rather weird rear styling), however the feature deletions for the XZ+ trim are disappointing. No rear adjustable headrests/armrests on a car that can cost over 17 lakhs OTR .

A few questions for the other Nexon EV owners: -

1. After an extensive PDI conducted before the delivery, I noticed that the car showed a very low range despite it being fully charged. It showed approximately 140km only. I think this should settle after the first couple hundred km of usage?

2. Does anyone have any experience with Fortum fast chargers? There's a 50kW fast charger at a MG showroom within a 10km radius of where I stay. I have read the Do's & Don'ts for the Nexon EV and would like to know if there's anything else I should know about when it comes to fast charging. We will only probably fast charge once in a couple of months as the weekly usage for the car will be less than 200km.

3. We also plan to only charge the car to 80% (Fast charging/Regular charging) and never let the charge drop below 20% as this should improve the battery life considerably wrt charge cycles. Can anyone confirm if my assumption is correct?

Many thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-front.jpg  

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-rear.jpg  

Ankit998 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 14:43   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankit998 View Post
my family and I finally took delivery of our Nexon EV XZ+ Glacier White yesterday .
Congratulations, enjoy your EV.

I don't have a Nexon EV, but another EV.

Quote:
It showed approximately 140km only. I think this should settle after the first couple hundred km of usage?
Nexon has an adaptive DTE, if the percentage and watts consumed per kilometer are fine you can ignore the DTE estimate.

Quote:
Does anyone have any experience with Fortum fast chargers? There's a 50kW fast charger at a MG showroom within a 10km radius of where I stay.
Fortum chargers are horrifically expensive and charge by minute. With Nexon EV it will be even worse as Nexon EV can only do 25kw fast charging. It would be better to use Tata Power chargers (can be located through app)

Quote:
I have read the Do's & Don'ts for the Nexon EV and would like to know if there's anything else I should know about when it comes to fast charging.
Fast charging should be avoided in very hot conditions. I would only fast charge on the go or it is absolutely necessary.

Quote:
We also plan to only charge the car to 80% (Fast charging/Regular charging) and never let the charge drop below 20% as this should improve the battery life considerably
Yes, keeping the car at higher SOC and higher ambient temperatures will degrade the battery faster. Between 20 to 80% will be best.
flanker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 19:47   #414
BHPian

Quote:
After over a month of waiting (as well as several months of planning), my family and I finally took delivery of our Nexon EV XZ+ Glacier White

Wow. That white with blue accents looks really nice and different. Congratulations. Wish you lots of trouble free long range kms on the Nexon EV.

Please charge between 20-80 for best battery management and maybe once in 2 - 3 months a full fast charge or full charge. Please ask the SA and go by the manual. I hope you create a new ownership thread to keep us updated. Thank you in advance.
M00M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 21:08   #415
BHPian

Congrats, she's a beauty! Really digging the colour. Any chance of some interior pics of the new feature deletions - just to get an idea? I have booked the exact same vehicle, same colour and model and been waiting over a month now and been told a few more weeks to go sadly.

Quote:
After over a month of waiting (as well as several months of planning), my family and I finally took delivery of our Nexon EV XZ+ Glacier White yesterday . I will definitely share my initial ownership experience after a couple months of use. Bought the car from Sagar Motors, Sector 5 Noida and the process was relatively smooth and straightforward. The team seemed eager to sell the car since day 1 of the formalities process. The car is definitely quite good-looking (apart from the rather weird rear styling), however the feature deletions for the XZ+ trim are disappointing. No rear adjustable headrests/armrests on a car that can cost over 17 lakhs OTR .
zandot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 22:12   #416
BHPian

Thanks everyone for the wishes as well as clearing my doubts regarding SOC management! The white colour definitely looks good but unfortunately it's a dirt magnet and will need some cleaning pretty soon. The initial driving impression has been good, apart from the very unintuitive gear selector knob. Performance wise, i'm not finding it difficult to resist S mode because D mode is absolutely fantastic for city traffic, I also found the regen levels to be quite acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zandot View Post
Congrats, she's a beauty! Really digging the colour. Any chance of some interior pics of the new feature deletions - just to get an idea? I have booked the exact same vehicle, same colour and model and been waiting over a month now and been told a few more weeks to go sadly.
Thanks for your wishes! I'll definitely post a few pics tomorrow when in broad daylight. I guess that would be a good time to point out the deletions as well as uneven panel gaps (some of which are glaringly obvious). Other external changes are minor cosmetic differences over the 2020 version (bi-arrow design on the lower grill as opposed to the original tri-arrow theme).

I'll keep everyone posted with any new updates!

Many thanks!
Old 22nd March 2021, 23:27   #417
BHPian

Just saw a video on youtube, 2 guys from pune did a Pune-Goa and the Goa-Pune trip in the nexon EV. They have documented the entire journey and though it was difficult, it was acheivable. I think that video itself shall instill confidence in a lot of people worrying about long distance travel. Also, since they managed a Pune-Goa, one can easily manage a Mumbai-Goa as well since Mumbai-Pune is possible on a Full charge IMO.
yashcosmos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 16:21   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umang dutt View Post

Table below summarizes my experience so far
Very interesting, globally it is believed 1kW of power delivers about 6km of range. From your table, I gather Nexon does even better!

If one can extract about 190km on the full range, then I say it's excellent in comparison!
Old 25th March 2021, 16:50   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Very interesting, globally it is believed 1kW of power delivers about 6km of range.

If one can extract about 190km on the full range, then I say it's excellent in comparison!
Managing less than 125 Wh/kM is pretty easy with the AC on and speeds below 80 kmph. I routinely average around 200-210 Kms before charging the battery and have 15-20% battery left.

There are people who manage 75 Wh / kM and better , though I can't imagine how they manage to extract that kind of mileage.
umang dutt is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 12:39   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umang dutt View Post
Managing less than 125 Wh/kM is pretty easy with the AC on and speeds below 80 kmph. I routinely average around 200-210 Kms before charging the battery and have 15-20% battery left.

There are people who manage 75 Wh / kM and better , though I can't imagine how they manage to extract that kind of mileage.

I do not know why but I'm not getting a figure below 150Wh/km. Currently averaging at about 155Wh/km with the AC set to 26 degrees at the lowest blower setting (Econ on). Despite practicing one pedal driving the efficiency doesn't seem to be improving much. I'm unsure how accurate the z connect app is but it's giving an acceleration and braking score of 9 and 10 respectively.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks