Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2020, 00:00   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Adding one to the list from my short drive experience, it could have been better if the drive selection knob doesn't rotate 360 degrees or at least have some sort of indicator on the knob itself.
Ah, I was in a notion that, I was only goofing up with it and getting confused!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujoy76 View Post

How does the car drive in D mode? You have previously driven the ICE version. So is it just like the ECO mode from the ICE or a mix of ECO and CITY.
I have driven the Nexon diesel, but still as I have not driven them back to back I wont be the right person to comment on it.
Just to give you a reference, in 'D' mode the EV did a 0-100 sprint with 2 passengers & AC on in roughly 15 seconds without being too aggressive on the accelerator pedal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugram View Post
I read that you need to depress the brakes before changing the driving modes. Can't you do it on the fly ? From D to S or converse.
Yes, it can be shifted while on motion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiransri_bng View Post
Very Nice and Detailed Review. Does this Driving Range mentioned are with AC?
Yes, ARAI range is 317 km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVK Rider View Post

If I am buying an EV for city only the smaller cars makes more sense. But for the highways the range seems to be really low. Not sure about the VFM/reliability factor yet, as it needs to be tested in real world to know the same. Just my opinion, might be wrong in that.
Sub 4 meter cars are quite cool for city usage. Plus the 205 mm ground clearance will ensure it has an edge over the hatchbacks with same length but low GC.

This is strictly a city car. For highway drive you need a lot of planning. You have to split your drive by 200 km per day or you need to charge in between and then again start your journey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
Hopefully Tata comes out with Altroz EV with similar driving range and features at sub 10L prices. It will be a good replacement for my ageing i10 and a great gift for my parents.
Tata guys were telling that the EV platform of Altroz is also ready. So it might be on it's way too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post

How strong is the regen braking in this the Nexon EV ?
For predictive driving by lifting the foot off the accelerator pedal, the car slowed down quite well and the dashboard info was showing the battery to gain charge. Now how effectively it was recharging, for that one need to use the car at-least for few days to get a clear picture.
Most of the time I was enjoying the peppiness of this car, so am actually the wrong person to comment on regen braking.

Last edited by Samba : 1st July 2020 at 00:08.
Samba is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 10:44   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Maybe not for enthusiasts or for those whose daily running is quite high, but I certainly can see the advantages of an electric car.
I think its the other way. If you are someone who needs to potter around 150 km inside the city, this is your best car. Also, its an enthusiast's car in the city and lower speeds. Enthusiasm isn't reserved for illegal speeds.
sreeharipv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 14:01   #33
BHPian

The Nexon facelift has a lot going for it, one of the more attractive vehicles around. Having driven a petrol automatic with the AMT, i always felt the AMT was the fly in the ointment of an otherwise good drive. Also the petrol AMT XZ+ (opt) is over 13 lakhs (at least here in karnataka), the diesel probably retails at 14 lakhs

Now the Nexon EV with its 15 lakh price makes for a very compelling argument. Great power delivery, no more AMT jerkiness, and a practical range of over 200kms (driving without much thought to range anxiety). It will make a great city car, one that could also make day trips into the countryside.

I think if any company can claim to popularize EV's and bring them into the mainstream market in India, it maybe TATA. Kudos to them for thinking ahead.
AnAvgJoe is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 15:20   #34
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for this much needed review.

Even I test drove the Nexon EV and The 1.2 Turbo Petrol back to back. And also drove the XUV 300 Turbo Petrol and The Ecosport 1.5 Dragon Petrol. My brother is in the market for a car and these three platforms made the most sense to us based on his usage.

Things I liked about the Nexon Platform:
  • It is the plushest out of the three compact SUVs mentioned here
  • The NVH and headroom and under thigh support is also the best
  • Handling and dynamics are good
Highlights of the Nexon EV Test Drive:
The car was super silent. The AC was running on fan speed 3.

The pull from the motor is more than sufficient in D mode. in S mode it is somewhat scary.

The single gear motor is a thing to experience. makes the drive quite effortless. A special mention to the nicely calibrated steering assist which adds to the ease of driving.

The regen braking is a big plus and you can actually feel it working.

The heavier kerb weight Makes the car feel more planted compared to the T-petrol sibling.

The maintenance cost is INR 800/- for a set of brake pads at 25-40K km (or more depending on regen). Gear Oil at INR 1200/- at 40K km. Coolant (7.5 Ltr for batteries in two reservoirs) for INR 3500/- at 60K km. Apart from this the usual AC filter and the stealership add-ons.

The SA said current battery replacement cost is 4.5 Lac but will come down to 1.5 Lac in the future as more cars come on road. I am guessing the manufacturers will also provide a salvage value for the old battery.

16 Lac on road for the mid variant is a bit pricey for a city car and that is the only thing that requires serious thought. The avg city car is a 6-8 lac deal at the moment.

Insurance cost is 62K from TATA and very few companies have it listed in their system so options are limited for an un-bundled insurance purchase.

Road tax in Rajasthan is INR 6500/-. You get Green plates.

Only 3 colour options - White, Silver and the Electric Blue halo colour.

The SAs say it costs INR 7.4/unit but the actual cost of a unit comes out to INR 10 - 12/unit when you consider fixed costs and the different rates for different consumption slabs. It is important to do the correct math.

There is no fast charging option for homes / the setup is prohibitively expensive. It is only available at select locations through the Z-connect App.

The EV was called for a test drive just for a feel of the vehicle. We have converted both the houses on Solar Net-metering where energy generated is fed into the grid and a Net bill (consumed - generated) is generated and we are seeing an average bill 2800 INR.

Makes a lot of sense as a daily runabout vehicle. Our usage for the EV would be 40-60 km daily.

A second touring car (a diesel) will have to be kept for outstation trips.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 5th July 2020 at 22:01. Reason: Minor typo. Thanks.
Tgo is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 15:51   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreeharipv View Post
Enthusiasm isn't reserved for illegal speeds.
Also the way Kona pulled away from Seltos in the drag race done by autocar india, even though both have similar 0-100 timings on paper.

I expect no ICE car less than 20 lakhs would stand a chance with Nexon EV.
SKC-auto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 19:55   #36
BHPian

Very nice review. I think the price point is perfect. 8 year warranty on the battery also sounds very interesting. I wonder if they would have *t&c restricting the number of full charge cycles?

I would urge everyone comparing EVs to ICE cars to also factor in the much less carbon footprint. I think its time we should be willing to spend a little bit more towards conservation of our environment.
RS90 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 22:50   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post

The maintenance cost is INR 800/- for a set of brake pads at 25-40K km (or more depending on regen). Gear Oil at INR 1200/- at 40K km. Coolant (7.5 Ltr for batteries in two reservoirs) for INR 3500/- at 60K km
Gear oil? In an EV??
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 23:02   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujoy76 View Post
How does the car drive in D mode?
I have driven the Kona, MG eZs and Nexon EV. Out of the 3, Kona was the one that was the most fun to drive, MG was balanced and Nexon was really good too. The way an EV takes off, it can't be compared to an ICE. All that torque from the get go is the part where you have most of the fun.

Nexon EV even in D is very spirited. You will rarely need to go to S.
suku_patel_22 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 23:37   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
The SAs say it costs INR 7.4/unit but the actual cost of a unit comes out to INR 10 - 12/unit when you consider fixed costs and the different rates for different consumption slabs. It is important to do the correct math.
The highest slab in my electric bill is 7.5rs. What other fixed costs do we have, the charger comes free with car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Gear oil? In an EV??
Not sure of Nexon EV service interval for gear oil but below is the screenshot of gear oil maintenance for Kona.

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-img_20200701_232611.jpg

Last edited by SKC-auto : 1st July 2020 at 23:38. Reason: Typo
SKC-auto is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 23:42   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Gear oil? In an EV??
A fixed ratio reduction gearbox is a part of the drivetrain. No clutch, direct and permanent drive. Say, like a washing machine.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 1st July 2020 at 23:43.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 00:15   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonderful little review Samba, i have recently test driven the turbocharged petrol Nexon and found it peppy for a car to be driven primarily inside the city and your views about the EV kind of validates the ride quality of the same. Your views about the rotary dial stands true since i also found the dial confusing. That TATA is serious about their EV's shows their commitment towards the clean energy and if they actually end up bringing the Altroz EV as you have said then they will have the first mover advantage for a car below the range of 10 lacs. Long term reliability will be an issue going forward and i will reserve my verdict about the EV's till then but a great start nevertheless.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 12:08   #42
BHPian

Much obliged Samba for point by point review of Nexon EV. Glad to see the homegrown EV from TATA.
The appearance of the vehicle is quite decent. Be that as it may, long term possession cost is an inquiry as we have to know the expense of the substitution battery. Since the resale estimation of the vehicle will rely upon that factor. According to your opinion read, this is a city drive car because of low single charge to distance range. I suppose the sub 4 metres SUV won't suit the pocket for such fixed parameters of distance to charge. I am expecting a small EV vehicle from TATA to suit the possession cost to suffice smooth everyday office driving.
Travelmania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 12:26   #43
BHPian

An EV is certainly the future, specially as a second car. Apart from cost the thing that prohibits me from buying one is that usually I change my residence every 3-4 years due to job transfers and that is sometimes in different cities. So every time ensuring dedicated parking space and laying out the charging point is a big headache for some one like me.
archat68 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 15:51   #44
BHPian

Thanks Samba! First time seeing an ownership review of the Nexon EV. Excellent package from Tata. Could anyone with knowledge about the matter provide an idea of what is the recommended service schedule from TATA for the EV - What would be the interval and items on the schedule? Also as not all TATA dealers are selling the EV, would it be correct to assume that only select service centres will be trained and equipped to work on the vehicle? Apart from the range related anxiety, the other factor one needs to consider is will Tata's inconsistent service quality make this a risky proposition in the near future until EVs become more common.
robbie_KL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 16:47   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie_KL View Post
Thanks Samba! First time seeing an ownership review of the Nexon EV. Excellent package from Tata. Could anyone with knowledge about the matter provide an idea of what is the recommended service schedule from TATA for the EV - What would be the interval and items on the schedule? Also as not all TATA dealers are selling the EV, would it be correct to assume that only select service centres will be trained and equipped to work on the vehicle? Apart from the range related anxiety, the other factor one needs to consider is will Tata's inconsistent service quality make this a risky proposition in the near future until EVs become more common.
The Nexon EV is purely an urban use car and is not expected to visit a service center in any town other than the one it is sold in and then used. It simply can’t go long distance. Secondly, periodic service for an EV is nothing more than a general checkup and software update. Nothing else is required. Steering, suspensions and brakes will need replacement as and when they wear out, just like any petrol or diesel car. The gear oil will be changed every 40k km or so. The coolant will be changed every 60k km. That’s about it. EVs are basically shut it and forget it kind when it comes to maintenance.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 2nd July 2020 at 16:49.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks