Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2021, 12:09   #451
BHPian

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadigar View Post
I did a cost-benefit analysis of Nexon EV by comparing the Low-end model of Nexon EV Vs Nexon(P) XZ (which is currently booked by me). Attached is my detailed calculation excel sheet.

Surprisingly, apart from the Environmental benefits and better-refined car than the Petrol version, it is way off from break-even with low-moderate running km per year. I have gone through a few calculations in this forum as a reference. One thing which people ignored is the high cost of insurance for EV vehicles.

My intention is not to discourage existing owners or prospective buyers of EV. It could be the comparison of apples to oranges (i.e. not taking XZA+ (P) vs XZ+(EV)) to some people. But at the end of the day, it just does not make any economical sense for me to buy the EV right now. It only makes sense for heavy users (>10,000 km per year - which is definitely not me). Kindly help me refine if I made any key mistakes.

Hope such a calculation helps future users as a good reference.
Excellent work! Thank you very much. I have driven on average more than 40,000 KMs per year over the last 5 years in my Vento TSI. Most of my driving is on the highway to work which is 120 KMs one way. I can install the fast charger at my work place to charge before I return home.

For my driving I save an astronomical amount of money. This really makes sense for me.

I am waiting to see what the Altroz EV will be before I bite the bullet. Luckily the Vento is still going strong.
Chrome6Boy is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 13:25   #452
BHPian

Recently my BIL traded his trusted Duster to a Nexon EV. Since he is a surgeon and needs to travel between the hospitals in Bangalore, driving around in a duster was becoming cumbersome. while duster still had that beautiful carpet ride the body panels and interiors started to show their age.

Drove the nexon EV and really like the peaceful interiors. coming from IC engine cars, it felt so peaceful inside Nexon EV

The seats are good, the car drives smooth, AC is nice. One thing i didn't like was the rotary shifter. Pretty confusing even though have a similar rotary dial in wife's Kwid AMT.

All in all, a good city car. Does it make economic sense now? only time will tell
ant_vas is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 11:56   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Could be ice in the AC hoses. When it happens, switch the blower to hot air for a couple of minutes and switch back to cool air.

The reason why service centers can't locate the issue is that the ice melts or is not formed when they check the vehicle.
Thanks for sharing your experience. However, looks unlikely that this is the issue - because the cutoff starts happening on hot days after just 5 minutes of starting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zandot View Post
Yes, having the same issue and pointed out during service. They also said AC is fine it could possibly be the "automatic climate control" kicking in, despite me not using AUTO mode but rather manual blower controls.
Yes, this is the same thing they said to me - I also use manual not auto mode. Obviously this means that there is an air conditioning issue - still trying to find out if this is just my (and possibly yours) car or this is a pervasive issue in the vehicle.
torquing_points is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 12:58   #454
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I did a cost-benefit analysis of Nexon EV by comparing the Low-end model of Nexon EV Vs Nexon(P) XZ (which is currently booked by me). Attached is my detailed calculation excel sheet.
Nice work

the maintenance cost for both EV and petrol options is extremely low - I'd definitely add a zero to the petrol option (keeping it on the higher side) as over 8 years, there'd be severe wear and tear apart from the normal servicing costs (which itself will go to 1L+). The long term maintenance costs is unknown for the EV, but definitely it's going to be in tens of thousands for sure, if not in the 1L+ zone.

Also we are missing common recurring costs (e.g. tires, car care) which I assume you have left out as they will be common / same for both. But overall, this is a good sheet to briefly consider before getting into the EV vs ICE option atleast wrt to the Nexon.

Question: Is the low-end model similar wrt to the features/options provided in the EV version? If not, then the ~4L difference in price itself gives a wrong start to the comparison.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 19th April 2021 at 13:03.
Old 10th May 2021, 10:57   #455
BHPian

So some more updates on the AC. Whenever the outside temperature is hot (35+), or the car is starting off being parked in a hot parking lot, the compressor keeps cutting off leaving the cooling to completely useless. At this time, you can also smell 'stale' air.

To avoid the car cabin heating up on a hot day, I have also tried completely covering the cabin's glass with the black fabric shades when I park my car. But even if I start off with a not-so-hot cabin, the compressor still keeps cutting off. Seems like the problem is how hot the engine bay (AC housing) is, not how hot the cabin was when starting off.

This could be for two reasons -

1) the compressor is heating up more than normal cars, triggering a cut-off. But then this issue would be in all Nexon EVs. Other Delhi owners - are you facing this problem when you start off your car from a hot parking lot in the afternoon?

2) There is an electronics issue in my specific car, whereby it cuts off the compressor, thinking that

Im seeing a lot of Nexon EVs in Delhi now. Anyone else having any AC performance issues?
torquing_points is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 11:56   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquing_points View Post
This could be for two reasons -

1) the compressor is heating up more than normal cars, triggering a cut-off. But then this issue would be in all Nexon EVs. Other Delhi owners - are you facing this problem when you start off your car from a hot parking lot in the afternoon?

2) There is an electronics issue in my specific car, whereby it cuts off the compressor, thinking that

Im seeing a lot of Nexon EVs in Delhi now. Anyone else having any AC performance issues?
Definitely an issue with your AC unit. Contact service center to get it fixed. The common issue with Nexon EV is its Auto AC that chills too much during cold weather, to an extend where you will be forced to stop AC.
Old 10th May 2021, 12:40   #457
Team-BHP Support

I'm curious whether there are Nexon EVs for short term hire anywhere. It would be interesting to live with an EV for a month or so and guage what it is actually like to use one before taking the ownership plunge.

If it were remotely feasible and Tata could tie up with some leasing company to facilitate short term rentals, it would be a dynamic way to convert potential buyers.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 17:29   #458
BANNED

I suppose it is the 1.2 TSI DSG. Any issues with the DSG or clutch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
Excellent work! Thank you very much. I have driven on average more than 40,000 KMs per year over the last 5 years in my Vento TSI. Most of my driving is on the highway to work which is 120 KMs one way. I can install the fast charger at my work place to charge before I return home.

For my driving I save an astronomical amount of money. This really makes sense for me.

I am waiting to see what the Altroz EV will be before I bite the bullet. Luckily the Vento is still going strong.
Old 10th May 2021, 17:52   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by overtaker View Post
I suppose it is the 1.2 TSI DSG. Any issues with the DSG or clutch?
Funny you should ask. The DSG died when the car had been driven for 99,920 KMS. I got it replaced under warranty. I really dodged a bullet by just 80 kms.

The TSI was phenomenal in terms of acceleration and it looks like the Nexon will match or beat it.

As fantastic as the TSI - DSG combination has been. I want to move to an EV because it's more reliable with so much fewer moving parts.
Chrome6Boy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 19:09   #460
BHPian

Quote:

Surprisingly, apart from the Environmental benefits and better-refined car than the Petrol version, it is way off from break-even with low-moderate running km per year. I have gone through a few calculations in this forum as a reference. One thing which people ignored is the high cost of insurance for EV vehicles.

My intention is not to discourage existing owners or prospective buyers of EV. It could be the comparison of apples to oranges (i.e. not taking XZA+ (P) vs XZ+(EV)) to some people. But at the end of the day, it just does not make any economical sense for me to buy the EV right now. It only makes sense for heavy users (>10,000 km per year - which is definitely not me). Kindly help me refine if I made any key mistakes.

I crunched through the X.L and at the end of the lifecycle (80000 kms in 8 years), E.V car beats petrol car by a paltry/marginal 21900 RS.
This is assuming a high running of 10000 kms every year, which itself is a hard task to achieve on the notorious Indian roads.

At the end of 8 years, surely there will be a battery change needed in the Nexon EV no matter how well you do the charging/dis-charging cycles.
Also, in-case you decide to resell the EV you will probably get a paltry resale as the whole & soul of this car is the battery(unless you procure a new battery at a high cost and provide warranty to the prospective buyer).

Whereas, with the petrol E.V you can dump it anytime without any worry even if your running is low. The only expense i see in an petrol Nexon is the timely maintenance and probably an consumable like Amaron 35w battery (costing 4k today) every 5 years.

Rest of the aspects like servicing charges, EV over fuel comparison are already accounted in the shared excel file.

Last edited by 1985Darkkid85 : 10th May 2021 at 19:12.
Old 10th May 2021, 19:14   #461
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasi55 View Post
Thanks for the detailed calculations, This is the conclusion I reached as well, and the reason I decided against getting one. The other oft-ignored fact is that the battery performance will degrade after a few years, and a new battery may cost 5-8 lakh!
Just curious, how many years do you think it will take for battery to degrade and by how much?

Quote:
The folks who do 10000+ km a year will most likely have a higher highway usage and require the extra range. If the true range were closer to 300-350 km, the Nexon EV would actually be a reasonably practical car for single-car garages as well. And then, the extra 1-2 lakh premium over the equivalent petrol version won't matter so much.
Before COVID, my home office home was 50km distance in peak ORR traffic, now consider that and lakhs of "employees" who might do such distance, 50*20 working days = 1000km a month in office travel alone and that makes it 12k a year. Considering free charging available in our office blocks (i require one charge a week), the savings would warrant one let alone the environment savings, no emission when stuck in an hour traffic.

Last edited by DarthVeda : 10th May 2021 at 19:20.
DarthVeda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 20:05   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
Just curious, how many years do you think it will take for battery to degrade and by how much?

Before COVID, my home office home was 50km distance in peak ORR traffic, now consider that and lakhs of "employees" who might do such distance, 50*20 working days = 1000km a month in office travel alone and that makes it 12k a year. Considering free charging available in our office blocks (i require one charge a week), the savings would warrant one let alone the environment savings, no emission when stuck in an hour traffic.
The battery should degrade 1-5% on average every year. This is what I gathered from studying the battery degradation of most electric cars. In my Mahindra E20, the battery did not degrade at all until the 5th year, but then it soon degraded to 88/120 Km, ie 25%. 88 km was still sufficient for our daily commute, but given the battery was out of warranty by then we decided to sell it.
If your primary use case is the home office home commute of 50 km, then by all means you should consider an electric vehicle. Even if the battery degrades to say 150 km usable range after 5 years, the car should still be good enough for city commutes and the occasional inter-city commute.
prasi55 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 00:39   #463
BHPian

Quote:

I don't know how you arrived at the calculations, but I did them on my own and am sharing them after simplifying a lot of things. No offence, but the yearly cost figures seemed blasphemous.

Nexon EV vs Nexon Petrol.docx

Last edited by Aditya : 12th May 2021 at 10:21. Reason: Attachment updated
Harjot37 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 17:49   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harjot37 View Post
I don't know how you arrived at the calculations, but I did them on my own and am sharing them after simplifying a lot of things. No offence, but the yearly cost figures seemed blasphemous
A 8 year break even though for 15k miles per year. Thanks for the doc which is really clear and helpful.

Been toying with this idea for months and let me throw this out there. Can the nexon replace a jeep in activities like getting around the farm and bear a little bit of beating? Activities mostly are driving to and from the farm, getting to the market, or nearest town 20kms away? Any opinions here?

Maddy
Old 11th May 2021, 18:01   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Can the nexon replace a jeep in activities like getting around the farm and bear a little bit of beating? Activities mostly are driving to and from the farm, getting to the market, or nearest town 20kms away? Any opinions here?

Maddy
I would suggest against it. Even though the battery pack is rated for IP67 and the car has higher GC, I wouldn't risk taking it in slush and would fear any underbody hit (the battery is located under the floorboard).
Battery costs are high as of now; replacement would cost about 40% of the cost of the vehicle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks