Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2021, 18:51   #571
BHPian

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post

To the question of parking an EV: I don't know the answer. A handbrake would be safe. It seems dangerous if an EV could just roll if parked in D or R (there is resistance, but on a slope I imagine it can still roll).
Thanks. Asked the SA to run this scenario.

Vehicle can be parked in any mode and there is good resistance to move, but two people can push the car and get it slowly moving without handbrake, while parked in D / R.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 19:15   #572

Sorry if it sounds stupid, But I was wondering if I could buy a Nexon EV from Maharashtra at discounted price and register in Kerala ?
Old 16th September 2021, 12:28   #573
Senior - BHPian

shortbread is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 13:32   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djay View Post
That’s a very very good point! Would appreciate opinions from other members or existing EV owners of whether the extended warranty is worth the extra cost (18k for 1 year and 25k for 2 years).
Unlike ICE, the electrical/electronic components inside EVs are expensive. Most of the individual modules inside the bonnet like Inverter, DC DC Converter, Motor Controller etc costs upwards of 1L each. Even though not covered in Extended warranty, the charging cable cost 30K. The common issue the current users are facing during this monsoon is the charging pin lock actuator getting stuck due to dirt/mud getting splashed from the rear tyre. Tata is replacing them free of cost under warranty, but it costs Rs8000 and wont last long unless Tata redesign the rear wheel well. Unlike the mechanical components we are used to, the electrical parts are very expensive to replace and not easily repairable.

I feel paying 25K for 2 years of additional warranty is worth the amount. We are the guinea pigs for Tata and we do not know what is coming at us after 3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna_indaje View Post
Vehicle can be parked in any mode and there is good resistance to move, but two people can push the car and get it slowly moving without handbrake, while parked in D / R.
You dont need 2 people to push the car when the vehicle is off and handbrake released. Just one person can push the car and there will be no resistance. Handbrake is your only line of defense when parking on slopes and it is big mistake by Tata to skimp on proper P gear.

Last edited by Holyghost : 16th September 2021 at 13:38.
Holyghost is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 13:40   #575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gngdev View Post
Sorry if it sounds stupid, But I was wondering if I could buy a Nexon EV from Maharashtra at discounted price and register in Kerala ?
Subsidy is only disbursed for vehicles that are registered in Maharashtra. Just buying in MH is not the criteria.
Old 16th September 2021, 15:33   #576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
You dont need 2 people to push the car when the vehicle is off and handbrake released. Just one person can push the car and there will be no resistance. Handbrake is your only line of defense when parking on slopes and it is big mistake by Tata to skimp on proper P gear.
Thanks. I stand corrected.

Is the handbrake strong enough to stop car from moving ? Especially if parked on ramps ?
prasanna_indaje is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 16:17   #577
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I stand corrected.

Is the handbrake strong enough to stop car from moving ? Especially if parked on ramps ?
Isn't the handbrake mechanical as in other cars? Or is it electronic?
Old 16th September 2021, 16:53   #578
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Isn't the handbrake mechanical as in other cars? Or is it electronic?
It’s a normal mechanical handbrake, just like the regular Nexon. No change.
Old 16th September 2021, 17:17   #579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like TATA went on to provide Gear of Nexon AMT which don't have P mode. Quiet a big miss.
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 19:38   #580
BHPian

Quote:
Unlike ICE, the electrical/electronic components inside EVs are expensive. Most of the individual modules inside the bonnet like Inverter, DC DC Converter, Motor Controller etc costs upwards of 1L each.

I feel paying 25K for 2 years of additional warranty is worth the amount. We are the guinea pigs for Tata and we do not know what is coming at us after 3 years.
On the Nexon EV website they are qouting 8 years /1.6 lakh km warranty on battery and motor. So all the electrical parts you mentioned will not be covered except the permanent magnet motor? Attached is a screen shot from their website.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-screenshot_202109161933142.png  

damodar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 19:56   #581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
On the Nexon EV website they are qouting 8 years /1.6 lakh km warranty on battery and motor. So all the electrical parts you mentioned will not be covered except the permanent magnet motor? Attached is a screen shot from their website.
Yes, 8Year warranty is for MOTOR and BATTERY only. The rest of the car carries 3 Year warranty which includes all electrical and electronic components.
Holyghost is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 07:52   #582
BHPian

Quote:
Tested the handbrake on a slope / ramp and it holds the car well. No worries on that front. However, I will definitely look for a stone to keep under the wheels if planning to park overnight on a slope

Also on lack of ‘P’ in Nexon and presence of ‘P’ in ZS EV : I think there is no Mechanical Park (like in TC ATs) in ZS EV and both vehicles use handbrake for parking. When P in ZS is pressed it engages electronic park brake, and releases the same when D or R engaged. Engaging P engages electronic park brake and releasing Park brake releases P Mode. (Can current owners confirm this please ?)
Old 18th September 2021, 10:15   #583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
I have opted for the early bird tester, for 20k, it's really worth it, can't maintain a constant speed on highway and can't drive like a free spirit yet.
Can you please share your experience on the performance /ergonomics of the cruise control prototype ? Do you feel any tangible gain in range using it ? Your inputs will be helpful for others in the EV community.
Old 18th September 2021, 11:30   #584
BHPian

I have been on the fence regarding the purchase of the Nexon EV for some time now. I want it primarily because I like cars which have good acceleration. Some of my previous cars are the Vento TSI, Cruze, Getz CRDi and the Palio GTX. I rarely cross 90 KMph on the highway but I like to get to that speed as soon as possible.

My primary use will be to drive 120 KMs on the Chennai - Bangalore highway (50-50 highway city mix) once a week to my work place which is a factory and return the same day (remaining days I work from home). I will have access to a 16 A plug point for charging at my place of work and at home.

The official review from Team-BHP says the range in D mode is around 250 KMs and S mode a lot less. However after reading all 39 pages on this thread I see people quoting a very wide range from 170 KMs till 250 KMs.

This leads me to believe that the car is extremely sensitive to the driving style.

My first question is will I be able to drive to and from the factory, 120 KMs each way, while charging it for around 4 hours while at my workplace. My second question is whether I need to drive at a max of 80 KMph and avoid sudden acceleration and deceleration to do it.

I don't necessarily need to be on S mode at all, but I would like to use the power on tap once in a while and enjoy myself especially on the highway.

My calculations lead me to believe that at the worst case I would get a range of 170 Kms and with 4 hours of charging I get 85 KMs. So a total of 255 KMs for a total drive of 240 KMs which will lead to a lot of range anxiety.

Please can you let me know your thoughts?

Last edited by Chrome6Boy : 18th September 2021 at 11:32. Reason: grammar
Old 18th September 2021, 16:55   #585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post

My first question is will I be able to drive to and from the factory, 120 KMs each way, while charging it for around 4 hours while at my workplace. My second question is whether I need to drive at a max of 80 KMph and avoid sudden acceleration and deceleration to do it.
I think you are the perfect candidate for a Nexon EV. I would suggest even Tigor EV, which saves you a bit of money and should inherently bit more efficient than Nexon, due to it's sedan design (less frontal area = reduced air drag).

Before I had my Tesla model 3 (SR+), I had been using Ioniq electric (28kWh) and BMW i3 (33kWh/94Ah) for some months (at different points in time) as my only car. The Nexon EV is comparable in range to these 2 models, with Ioniq being a bit efficient but with lower capacity battery and i3 with a bit larger capacity & less efficient. Nexon falls right in the middle in terms of capacity and qua efficiency is more on i3's side. So I guess I can give you some practical insights.

Here is a comparison of Ioniq and i3, regarding range and charging :

Name:  Screenshot from 20210918 105726.png
Views: 1556
Size:  196.3 KB

My home work commute is 76km (42-45min) oneway and I had options to charge at home (Type 2/11kW) and office (16A / 3kW). But, most of the days I don't even charge at office as I can easily get ~180kms in both cars (10-90% SoC). Note that I just set climate control comfortably and accelerate quickly. I don't baby the cars because it is an EV. Somedays when I want to go somewhere (shorter/locally) in the evening just after coming back home, then I would plug it in office so that I can come home and immediately depart without charging time needed. In your case, probably you have to consider these scenarios as well. Only during winter, I will have to plug in the cars at office to top up so that I will not go below 10% SoC on my way back home. But with our weather in India, we don't have to worry about efficiency dropping due to heater usage (unless you are living in colder regions).

( OFFTOPIC: Actually Ioniq and i3 experience made me confident to choose a model 3 SR+, inspite of me having the option to choose Long range. I chose SR+ as it is more than enough for my use case and it is ~250kgs lighter than LR. Lighter the car, nimble it is to flick in corners. Also in 2019, when i got mine, model 3 SR+ was using the same rear motors as Model 3 LR AWD Performance. And normal LR AWD was using a different rear motor. Now-a-days SR+ and LR AWD use the same motor, while LR AWD performance uses a different motor. )

Other downside you have to consider is the power cuts we have in India, esp. if you workplace does not have a power backup. Here in NL, I have never faced any power outage in the last decade since I came here. So I didn't have to worry about this part. But BLR-Chennai corridor is getting fast charging infrastructure faster than some skeptics have ever imagined. So for long run, I don't think you have to bother about power cuts when you are at work. Check for www.plugshare.com for EV chargers near your location. I see charging companies and users updating these frequently.

IMO, you should be good with either new TigorEV or NexonEV. And of course, as you wanted, they both are quick compared to their ICE counterparts. The added benefits are silent powertrain helps you relax during your drive. Let us know what you choose!

Cheers,
Karthik

Last edited by carthick1000 : 18th September 2021 at 17:10. Reason: Added plugshare link
carthick1000 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks