Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2021, 16:00   #601
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
The quote I received from Mahindra last week for my E2O battery pack replacement was 4.3L for 10KWh LFP pack. Even I am wondering how much Tata would quote for the 30KWh battery since the battery chemistry is same. Only the battery packaging is different where E2O uses the prismatic cells while Nexon uses cylindrical cells.
Attachment 2210094
Mahindra battery price quote is insane. Granted I do not know what brand the cells they use and well known brand cells will cost more.

But a generic LFP pack of prismatic cells of roughly 10kw will cost 1.5lakh inc gst(2019 price in Bangalore). The price is end user price without the BMS and it won't cost more then 20k for the BMS. But in your case the car already has a BMS, so no extra cost for it.

How many kms or charge discharge cycles your E2O car has done and what is the current range.
Old 15th October 2021, 08:42   #602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SulemanP View Post
Nexon EV has battery & motor warranty of 8 years, thereafter the battery will get weak and performance will diminish likewise...was trying to know what will be the cost of replacing the battery pack...anyone any idea.
Rs.7,47,641.00/-. This is the price on Boodmo.

But then you won't need to replace the entire pack. Only the cells that are bad. And for sure some cells will go bad before 8 years which will be replaced free by Tata.

Last edited by pedrolourenco : 15th October 2021 at 08:44.
pedrolourenco is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 14:34   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
But then you won't need to replace the entire pack. Only the cells that are bad. And for sure some cells will go bad before 8 years which will be replaced free by Tata.
The whole battery pack will be replaced because if they choose to replace only few cells then it will cause major imbalance in the cells of the pack.
Secondly, it will be a big challenge to re-seal the battery pack to retain its water resistance or the IP certification. Dealers won’t be able to do it and Tata can’t take the risk of leaving such important component of the car vulnerable.

Tesla has replaced battery packs on certain cars recently that were under warranty but had started to degrade significantly or were not able to hold the charge. Regardless replacing the pack is the way to go as its more cost effective.
Take it like your inverter or 12V auxiliary car battery, when they go bad they are replaced, it will be too much of a pain if we had to get them opened and repaired. Not worth the time.

Last edited by officer416 : 15th October 2021 at 14:41.
officer416 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 13:30   #604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by officer416 View Post
The whole battery pack will be replaced because if they choose to replace only few cells then it will cause major imbalance in the cells of the pack.
Secondly, it will be a big challenge to re-seal the battery pack to retain its water resistance or the IP certification. Dealers won’t be able to do it and Tata can’t take the risk of leaving such important component of the car vulnerable.
This was the information given to us by someone from the technical team at Tata. The dealer connected us directly to him and he explained that only faulty cells will be replaced and not the entire pack.
Old 16th October 2021, 20:23   #605
BHPian

Quote:
This was the information given to us by someone from the technical team at Tata. The dealer connected us directly to him and he explained that only faulty cells will be replaced and not the entire pack.
I will take that information with grain of salt. You should ask him to send you a breakdown of cost on email for future reference. Even the higher ups at Tata EV division are staying mum about battery related cost, so for the person to say that cells can be replaced is misleading. I will recommend not to make a buying decision based on that information.
officer416 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 18:36   #606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.vadrevu View Post
I think the manufacturers should offer a retrofit for the battery pack at a very subsided cost for vehicles older than 5 or 8 years when the battery degradation is beyond tolerable. (If the manufacturers can't, the government should offer this subsidy since the push for EV is very aggressive).
Once you have exhausted the warranty period or kms, you would have almost recovered the cost of the car in savings over Petrol/Diesel. There is is no greater subsidy than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
A doctor from Kerala has found a way to run his EV-Nexon for free, well almost, by installing a solar panel for charging his car, which is very innovative to say the least.
This is something I need to explore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom 510 View Post
Nexon Ev as a secondary car does make tremendous sense in today's day and age of sky high fuel prices. It's cheaper to run than a scooter or commuter motorcycle. A recent test drive of the Nexon EV has totally changed my perception. It was smooth, silent and really quick (for an average Joe like me). The EV tech will only get better with time and hopefully more affordable as well.
You do have to consider the initial cost of the EV. The Nexon will cost you around 16L and a scooter would be under 1L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Exactly my thoughts. I "NEED" a sunroof but I ain't paying 3.5 Lacs differential to have it.
Do you "NEED" or just "WANT" a sunroof. If it is want then I'd suggest you save the 3.5 L. In the almost 5 years of owning my X1, I must have opened the sunroof twice.

Coming back to the Nexon EV. I don't really need it. Just want it. Our yearly running is between 10-15 K Kms a year. I already have 2 cars, the X1 Diesel and a Mini Cooper petrol. We had a Celerio AMT as a local runabout but we recently sold it to make way for the Mini due to parking issues in our colony. I will be shifting soon, and that will eliminate the parking issue. I was planning on an Altroz as a runabout but the Nexon EV is so much fun to drive. I know I'm not saving anything but I may still end up picking up a Nexon EV XZ+ Dark Edition.
Old 18th October 2021, 09:13   #607
BHPian

Quote:
It is not recommended and also not a standard practice among EVs across the global manufacturers to replace the specific cells upon battery degradation.

There is a possibility of individual cell change if one or two gone very bad in delivering expected voltage in the initial time of the purchase, but that too is a risk due to the various parameters like different SoH (State of Health), Different production batch (It means different internal resistance on cell level) and most importantly the newer cell will be bottlenecked to perform inline with the weakest link in the whole pack.

I talked about this topic with some internal TATA engineers and as of now, they will only replace the battery pack as a whole since the major parts and design of the traction batt pack comes from their Chinese supplier.
starke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 22:02   #608
Senior - BHPian

Hi, Is there any updated information on Trivandrum - Ernakulam - Calicut route for the EV charging stations?
Old 28th October 2021, 16:35   #609
BHPian

Just a quick update: Purchased a Nexon EV Glacier White XZ+ in March 2021. We purchased the car in Noida and have since moved to Mumbai. Unfortunately, due to the lockdown and problems at the RTO, the car could not be successfully registered in Mumbai and remains the same, even today. Car had completed barely 800km until it's 6 month service. It's being used more frequently now and has just completed 1200km last week.

A few points observed in these past couple months: -

1. The car has a few QC issues. The accelerator pedal has become loose at 800km and until the last service, used to move sideways. My friend first noticed this while driving the car and was under the impression of his foot slipping until he realized it was actually the pedal that moves sideways! Tata fixed this at the 6 month service interval after pointing it out.

2. Condensation within brake light housing (a possible design flaw?) I have seen this in other Tata cars as well, especially the Hexa.

3. Fast charging can be a pain. While it initialises successfully about 75% of the time, the charging gun almost always gets stuck and requires a manual release.

4. Air conditioning is sub-par. It totally failed to cool the cabin, just a couple days back. 33 degree Mumbai heat shouldn't be a burden for this car!

With regards to the subsidy, Tata still hasn't got back to us despite multiple emails. Can anyone please shed some light on this matter? The car was bought in Noida, Uttar Pradesh under temporary registration and will be permanently registered in Mumbai. Can I still claim the subsidy? Any inputs greatly appreciated.
Ankit998 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 13:16   #610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankit998 View Post

With regards to the subsidy, Tata still hasn't got back to us despite multiple emails. Can anyone please shed some light on this matter? The car was bought in Noida, Uttar Pradesh under temporary registration and will be permanently registered in Mumbai. Can I still claim the subsidy? Any inputs greatly appreciated.
As per my understanding, the new subsidy is for cars registered Post July XX, 2021( Cut Off Date). I haven't read the exact policy document but I feel the subsidy will be limited to cars sold / purchased in Maharashtra ( Afterall MH Govt may want to have its share of GST).

So am doubtful if you'll be able to claim the subsidy on your car.
MileCruncher is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 13:33   #611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
As per my understanding, the new subsidy is for cars registered Post July XX, 2021( Cut Off Date). I haven't read the exact policy document but I feel the subsidy will be limited to cars sold / purchased in Maharashtra ( Afterall MH Govt may want to have its share of GST).

So am doubtful if you'll be able to claim the subsidy on your car.

Thanks for your response. It'd be very unfortunate if we can't claim the subsidy. Regardless, I will post an update about the situation soon.
Old 1st November 2021, 14:05   #612
Senior - BHPian

Cruise Control and other features on the Nexon EV: Nexcruise

I came across something very interesting today. It's an indigenous company in Jaipur, producing a plug and play box that introdices Cruise Control, Regen Control and other features to the Nexon EV in a package that seems too good to resist.
I have booked my Nexon EV and I always thought Cruise Control in an EV is a no-brainer. Wonder why Tata decided to skip that out in this iteration of the EV. That, and the ability to control Brake Regeneration.

Anyway, for those that want to know how it works, it has 2 connections. One goes to the Accelerator pedal, (the input for which will go into the Nexcruise box) and the other, is the traditional OBD connection. With the help of these two, the Nexcruise can activate Cruise Control, Eco and Deep Eco functions. There's a Coast option too, which switches off Regen.

All of this is conveniently controlled via an App, and a very i-Drive looking controller, that looks intuitive enough for use without lifting your eyes off the road.

For the price, the features are solid, but the price itself is steep. I guess, this is a pre-production price, and if and when the company decides to scale their production to mass-levels, the prices may fall.
Even then, it's a must have for Nexon EV owners.
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 20:21   #613
BANNED

I am one of those who ordered it when it was announced, am waiting delivery this week, and will let you guys know how it is.
The price is quite steep but if it were be offered by OEM, it would easily be 50k or more. CC on EV should be the easiest to implement should be there by default, it enables great efficiency on highway driving and given the current charging infra, it's very much needed.
DarthVeda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 19:15   #614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Hi, Is there any updated information on Trivandrum - Ernakulam - Calicut route for the EV charging stations?
Between Tvm - Ernakulam, there are two stations that are functional.
One at Kollam, KSEB substation.
Second at Cherthala - Autokast.
Old 2nd November 2021, 20:45   #615
BHPian

Hi All,

I am looking at replacing our 2014 pre-owned Celerio AMT with an EV owing to the ever rising fuel prices.

Usage:- The vehicle will see a within city run-around of about 40km/day as my wife will be primarily using it for her office commute and for our in city runabouts (we are burning close to 9K on fuel a month just for our in-city commute). This car will largely be a city use car and might see occasional highway trips if the charging infrastructure is robust in the route we are traveling. We have our trustworthy Hyundai Accent for any unplanned trips or for long drives.

I am confused if I should pick the Nexon or the Tigor (as the OTR price difference is around 3 lakhs between both the vehicles) or should I wait for the Altroz EV to be launched. If anyone is aware of the expected launch date, price and range of the Altroz EV, it would help me in a great extent in making my decision.

Following are my concerns:-

Tigor:-
  • Is the battery pack that is placed in the Fuel tank area an area of concern in wading through the notorious potholes and water logging in Bangalore?
  • The Limited boot space.
  • The Tigor is newly launched, would it have its initial teething issues?
Nexon:-
  • Is the additional 3 lakh premium we will have to pay to get a Nexon worth? Given the range is almost same.
  • Hearing rumors about the Alturoz going to be launched next year to have a range of around 500 KM, if this is true, I will definitely repent my decision of getting a Nexon and keeping it as a city car while the Altroz might at least have a realistic range of around 350 KM to 375 KM (Vs the rumors of 500 KM range)
PS: Omission of the Cruise control is a big bummer for me.. If Cruise control is meant to increase the efficiency of a vehicle, why remove it from an EV? (Could it be because the re-gen braking would not function at its optimum level?)

Looking for some direction from the experts to help me pick the EV that would suit my requirement. I drove the Nexon EV and had no complaints, have asked for the Tigor EV test drive as well.
Nishith is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed