Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2021, 21:52   #616
BHPian

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishith View Post
[*]Is the additional 3 lakh premium we will have to pay to get a Nexon worth? Given the range is almost same.
You're paying a 3 lakh premium for
  • A slightly bigger car
  • A LOT more power

Tigor EV vs Nexon EV
Acceleration: 12.6 vs 9.2 seconds claimed (0-100 kmph)
Power: 74 bhp vs 129 bhp
Torque: 170 Nm vs 245 Nm

I've driven the Nexon EV. Was blown away by the pickup in S mode. Found it too dull in D. Really wish it had a setting to choose in-between the two options.

If you're a sedate driver, the Tigor should be fine. Haven't driven it, but the Team-BHP review and other journalists have stated that it's quite peppy in S mode.
kadanaJ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 23:04   #617
BHPian

Hi Folks,

I am considering the Nexon EV for city usage. Can existing owners please help me with a query:

How much battery usage can be expected if we use AC in stationary car for couple of hours?

Thank You
Route66 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 21:29   #618
BHPian

Hi everyone,

Planning to book the Nexon EV soon, I had a couple of quick questions on this:

1. Does anyone know the latest waiting period on Nexon EV? Heard that this has gone up recently. Also, are their waiting period estimates accurate like if they have quoted 3 months, then what are the chances this goes up or comes down?

2. If I buy this in a different state, drive it down to Bangalore on temporary registration and then register here, will there be any issues in the registration process?

3. Continuing on the previous question, will a local dealership help in free installation of plug point even if bought in different state?

Thanks for the help.

Regards
Neelay
Old 5th November 2021, 08:02   #619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaleen View Post
Hi everyone,

1. Waiting period has increased significantly. Current waiting period seems to be around 16 weeks. Add a buffer of 4 weeks to current waiting period.
2. It is possible to buy from a different state and register in KA. But you may need additional help from an RTO agent. Best place to check is your Tata dealership.
3. Charger installation is managed by Tata power. They cover one installation at your choice of location. Again, please confirm this with Tata showroom.

If you have finalised on Nexon EV, go ahead and make the booking at nearest Tata showroom. It is 21k and fully refundable!

You can modify or cancel at later point in time as needed.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 09:57   #620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaleen View Post
Hi everyone,

1. Does anyone know the latest waiting period on Nexon EV? Heard that this has gone up recently. Also, are their waiting period estimates accurate like if they have quoted 3 months, then what are the chances this goes up or comes down?

2. If I buy this in a different state, drive it down to Bangalore on temporary registration and then register here, will there be any issues in the registration process?

3. Continuing on the previous question, will a local dealership help in free installation of plug point even if bought in different state?

Thanks for the help.

Regards
Neelay

1. Latest waiting period will stretch over 3 months considering demand for the product has increased considerably. It's correct to assume the waiting period will only keep increasing.

2. We bough a Nexon EV in Noida under temporary registration in March of this year. We are still trying to get it registered in Mumbai, so to answer your question, yes you may come across registration issues and it may take a couple of months. This will ofcourse depend on individual RTOs. Subsidy issues will also be a problem.

3. NO. We've been clearly told that the old plug will have to be removed with the help of Tata Power and brought back and installed, all costs being borne by us. I think only the first installation is free of charge (that too for a limited amount of wiring used). Most local dealerships have flat out refused to help with installation of charger saying we have not bought the car from them.

This is all from my personal experience. I hope this info helps.
Ankit998 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 11:44   #621
Senior - BHPian

After a lot of deliberation and research, I've booked the Nexon EV XZ+ Dark Edition. Also decided to go in for a 7 KW on-grid solar power system to take care of electricity bills.
pedrolourenco is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 14:46   #622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
After a lot of deliberation and research, I've booked the Nexon EV XZ+ Dark Edition. Also decided to go in for a 7 KW on-grid solar power system to take care of electricity bills.
Congratulations.

This post and many such posts by EV owners and people who have solar setup at home confirms that EV owners go for new solar setup and vice versa. Win -win situation for both renewables and EVs..
SKC-auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 17:53   #623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well done Pedrolourenco, you'll now be producing your own fuel.
shortbread is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 10:40   #624
BHPian

My car has developed the infamous actuator lock pin issue merely 9 months after purchase. Having difficulties charging it now since the pin won't lock most times and charging isn't initiated. Notably, this only happens at home and not at the dealership so we're being denied a solution and the home setup inspectors for Tata say they'll charge 1500/- for a visit to check the earthing, which may or may not be at fault. I'm of the belief that there's an issue with the pin and no the charger. Earlier the handbrake trick used to work but now even that doesn't work. Any ideas?
Old 15th November 2021, 14:09   #625
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on the booking! I applaud you for choosing to setup a solar power plant.

I have one question for people going for the solar power system. Assuming the car runs 1500 KMs a month and it costs approximately ₹2500 a month to charge the car at home. Is it worthwhile to pay the huge initial cost to setup a solar power plant for this? Or are you doing this for environmental reasons mainly which is a really good reason too?

I ask this because I've booked the MG ZS EV and am contemplating setting up a solar power plant too.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 14:36   #626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
...Is it worthwhile to pay the huge initial cost to setup a solar power plant for this?
A 3KW solar roof-top unit generating 360 units/month will cost you 1.25L (1.5L if elevated) after subsidy +/- 5%. It will cost you 2.5L for 5KW (600 units/month).

For a typical Nexon EV buyer, the capex for solar unit may not be a considerable expense and any excess power (beyond the units used for charging EV) can be netted off with domestic usage. The satisfaction of going green always helps. I am sure you can work out the cost/benefit analysis.
skumare is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 15:06   #627
BHPian

We have a 5kwh on grid set up at home as well. The peace of mind is nothing to scoff at.

On a side note it seems solar panel installer have figured out that there is a market of EV car owners would would set up a solar plant. I got a call right after my 2nd free service offering to do a free energy assessment of our house. Coincidence I think not?! They mentioned that they would do a cost assessment for a solar panel installation as well. As soon as I said I already have it done at home they just just dropped the call
fuzzydealhunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 15:33   #628
Senior - BHPian

General question, is off-grid solar power plant suitable for charging EV's (bigger one's). I guess charging 2-wheeler batteries should be a cake walk, but it would be great to know the investment estimate required for charging something like a Nexon/ZS EV?
Old 15th November 2021, 15:36   #629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have one question for people going for the solar power system. Assuming the car runs 1500 KMs a month and it costs approximately ₹2500 a month to charge the car at home. Is it worthwhile to pay the huge initial cost to setup a solar power plant for this? Or are you doing this for environmental reasons mainly which is a really good reason too?
The solar setup costs around 60K/kw. If you need a 5KW solar setup for your home and EV it costs 3lakhs, and generates ~600kwh/month. Usually 600kwh costs somewhere around 4000₹ in electricity bill, your savings are 4000₹/month or 48000₹/year. It's like earning 16% interest on your 3 lakhs investment for next 20 years with almost zero risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
General question, is off-grid solar power plant suitable for charging EV's (bigger one's). I guess charging 2-wheeler batteries should be a cake walk, but it would be great to know the investment estimate required for charging something like a Nexon/ZS EV?
IMO, off grid should not be tried for large vehicles, I believe you need to multiple by atleast 4 times the charging required by your car. Like say charging a Nexon needs 14KW solar setup which I may be concerned to use on a cloudy day.

Last edited by SKC-auto : 15th November 2021 at 15:51.
SKC-auto is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 16:28   #630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on the booking! I applaud you for choosing to setup a solar power plant.
Thanks.

Quote:
The solar unit is just for off-setting my normal electricity bills. Not just for EV charging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
A 3KW solar roof-top unit generating 360 units/month will cost you 1.25L (1.5L if elevated) after subsidy +/- 5%. It will cost you 2.5L for 5KW (600 units/month).
I got a quote of 4.6L for a 7 KW on-grid system.

Quote:
For a typical Nexon EV buyer, the capex for solar unit may not be a considerable expense and any excess power (beyond the units used for charging EV) can be netted off with domestic usage. The satisfaction of going green always helps. I am sure you can work out the cost/benefit analysis.
+1
pedrolourenco is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed