Team-BHP > Electric Cars


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2022, 09:38   #811
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,395
Thanked: 3,513 Times
Default Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruichladdich View Post
I'm planning to book Nexon EV Max LUX+ 7.2kW. I'm not really convinced and happy with Tata Inderjit showroom at Andheri.
Congratulations! Good decision indeed. I am assuming that you are opting for the Max over the regular Nexon as you might do short highway runs as well, is that so?

As good as their current crop of products is, unfortunately Tata Motors has significant ground to cover when it comes to customer experience, be it sales or after-sales. They are improving, no doubt, but far behind some of the industry leaders on this front. Hope their dealers ramp up soon before it starts impacting customer sentiment.
cool_dube is online now  
Old 12th May 2022, 10:03   #812
BHPian
 
Bruichladdich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Bombay
Posts: 34
Thanked: 241 Times
Default Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
What waiting period did they quote? Was it 6 months or less?
They're saying 4 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Congratulations! Good decision indeed. I am assuming that you are opting for the Max over the regular Nexon as you might do short highway runs as well, is that so?
Thanks buddy. I am booking Max with 7.2kW because there's just difference of Rs.50,000 between the 3.3kW and 7.2kW. I rather have the best of the tech after paying Rs.20 lakhs.

Also, I'm buying Max over regular Nexon as the price difference is Rs.2.37 Lakhs compared to Nexon EV XZ+ Dark but more range and regen mode will be very beneficial in long run. I'm definitely planning to use this car for at least 6-7 years. I do go for holidays to Lonavala, Pune, Mahabaleshwar and Nashik via road. It will be a very smooth drive with Nexon EV Max without worrying too much about the range.

I'm just hoping Max gives at least 300kms range in real world. I am guessing it should.

EDIT: Also, I live in Vile Parle but my office is in Marine Lines. So my commute has become less after covid due to work from home but I intend to go more now so EV will save a lot of money & time for me as charging time of 6.5 hours will be much easier compared to 15 hours.

Last edited by Bruichladdich : 12th May 2022 at 10:06.
Bruichladdich is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 14:09   #813
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,395
Thanked: 3,513 Times
Default Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Let me take this opportunity to post a quick write-up and few pictures of my Nexon EV XZ+ which came home about 3 weeks back.

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-nexon1.jpg

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-nexon2.jpg

Name:  Nexon3.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  108.5 KB

The car has done close to 1,300 km since (now you know why I needed an EV ) and I am loving each and every moment behind its wheel. Coming from a 4-yr ownership of my humble e2o, I am not new to EVs but the Nexon EV is a HUGE step forward in all aspects for sure. While the e2o was doing its job well, it was more of a "trial" for us when we decided to join the EV bandwagon back in 2018 and playing it safe, bought a pre-owned, well-maintained e2o (2-door). As we grew more and more comfortable with an EV, longer range and better creature comforts led us to upgrade to the Nexon EV. I had initially booked the Dark edition in the XZ+ trim but later moved to regular XZ+ trim, given the maintenance overheads associated with a black car. Moreover, we felt that the "electric blue" shade goes well with an EV. I was tempted to wait for the longer range variant of the Nexon EV (now christened "Max") but decided to forego it as current variant fits my use case (of strictly city runs) perfectly in terms of range and its supposedly-limited set of features are just fine for me. I like my cars simple

I have always liked the Nexon for its looks, build quality, and ride comfort. Thankfully, all of these have been carried over to its EV counterpart as well. So far, I am super happy with the car and thankfully, no niggles to be reported as yet. As expected, I am getting a consistent driving range of 210-220 km in city traffic with sedate driving and regular usage of a/c, infotainment, etc. I usually charge it overnight at an SOC of 20-25% with a charging time of 7-7.5 hours.

Will keep the thread updated with my experiences. Please feel free to post any queries that you might have and I will be more than happy to help.
cool_dube is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 19:08   #814
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Ernakulam
Posts: 115
Thanked: 236 Times
Default Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
You can claim tax benefits on a total sum of INR 1.5 lac (interest) over a maximum term of 5 years. It is NOT INR 1.5 lac of interest per annum.
Could you please point me to where this is explained? From the IT website

Quote:
80EEB. (1) In computing the total income of an assessee, being an individual, there shall be deducted, in accordance with and subject to the provisions of this section, interest payable on loan taken by him from any financial institution for the purpose of purchase of an electric vehicle.

(2) The deduction under sub-section (1) shall not exceed one lakh and fifty thousand rupees and shall be allowed in computing the total income of the individual for the assessment year beginning on the 1st day of April, 2020 and subsequent assessment years.

(3) The deduction under sub-section (1) shall be subject to the condition that the loan has been sanctioned by the financial institution during the period beginning on the 1st day of April, 2019 and ending on the 31st day of March, 2023.

(4) Where a deduction under this section is allowed for any interest referred to in sub-section (1), deduction shall not be allowed in respect of such interest under any other provision of this Act for the same or any other assessment year.
Sub-section (2) seem to clearly indicate that the cap of Rs 1,50,000 is for each assessment year and not on the total interest paid over the loan tenure. Of course, if the interest component is more than 1.5L for an AY, you cannot carry it forward to another AY.
varkey is online now  
Old 13th May 2022, 14:01   #815
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: KL 7
Posts: 2,102
Thanked: 5,069 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Let me take this opportunity to post a quick write-up and few pictures of my Nexon EV XZ+ which came home about 3 weeks back.
What is the NVH like, in the absence of engine noise. Is the tyre wind noise very intrusive?
shortbread is offline  
Old 13th May 2022, 15:19   #816
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,395
Thanked: 3,513 Times
Default Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
What is the NVH like, in the absence of engine noise. Is the tyre wind noise very intrusive?
Cabin insulation in Nexon EV is top notch, much better than I had expected of a Tata product. With windows rolled up, no outside sounds creep inside the cabin, be it traffic noise or tyre noise. I have driven it as fast as 100 km/hr. and did not notice any wind or tyre noise. In fact, the cabin is so silent that my ears invariably start hunting for squeaks and rattles, of which there are none as yet.

On a related note, the sound system from Harman is excellent for a car in this price range - I am not an audiophile but do appreciate a good sound system in my cars. With no engine, wind, or tyre noise to intrude, and the superb quality of music from the system, the cabin is a very relaxing place to be in, just what you need for those grueling crawls through city traffic

Last edited by cool_dube : 13th May 2022 at 15:22. Reason: Typo
cool_dube is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 18:04   #817
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Test drove the Nexon EV today. Did not expect the ride quality that it had to offer. The initial acceleration in sports mode was crazy. I am looking for my first car, and I am pretty certain I am going to drive it as much as I can in the first year atleast. Don't quite know how much of those drives would be daily, because of the crazy Bangalore traffic.
I have test driven the 1.5 dsg of Kushaq and Taigun, but can't wrap my head around the potential problems with that gearbox. For the 1. 0 L engine equivalent for both cars...to my mind they seem to be over priced. No expert but there are decent cars which come in way cheaper in that engine capacity.

So wanted to understand from all the long term users of the car, is there a degradation in performance of the car? Is it ageing well? With the new Max model, can one expect to do a 320 Km stretch. My logic being...those 320 would take 7-8 hours to drive and I can do it more often say as opposed to a 500 km drive in a day. So if the real world range is in that proximity one can plan accordingly. Is the EV infrastructure good enough in Karnataka atleast. The SA said 90 odd charging points in Bangalore alone and 200 overall. Anybody with a contrary experience to this claim? Also how good/bad are the EV headlights? Good enough for the late nighters on the highway or one struggles with it?

With the nightmarish wait time periods for a new vehicle, any brand mostly, I want to atleast book a car asap and then pray for all the luck in the world so that I get a car in a 60 day time frame.
avaneeshvyas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 01:35   #818
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: KL 7
Posts: 2,102
Thanked: 5,069 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Looking forward to the official Team BHP review.
shortbread is offline  
Old 15th May 2022, 05:35   #819
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: United States
Posts: 77
Thanked: 389 Times
Default Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by avaneeshvyas View Post

So wanted to understand from all the long term users of the car, is there a degradation in performance of the car? Is it ageing well? With the new Max model, can one expect to do a 320 Km stretch. My logic being...those 320 would take 7-8 hours to drive and I can do it more often say as opposed to a 500 km drive in a day. So if the real world range is in that proximity one can plan accordingly. Is the EV infrastructure good enough in Karnataka atleast.
If Nexon EV Max 7.2 kW falls in your budget, then go for it. You won't regret it. It's an amazing car with absolutely amazing performance. As for the range, I am sure you can achieve more than 320 in the Max if you drive it in EV style.
As for the lights, from my personal experience Nexon EV lights on low beam are average but high beam is great. Done lot of night drives on highways and the high beam never disappoints.

Fast chargers are aplenty now in metro regions and they are expanding very quickly to tier 2 cities as well. So if you are having doubts I will suggest keep them aside and just book your EV. You will really enjoy the experience.
officer416 is offline  
Old 22nd May 2022, 01:18   #820
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Greater Noida
Posts: 28
Thanked: 100 Times
Default Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Hmm... Lots of people excited for Nexon EV Max I see. I own the XZ+, bought it back when it used to be sub-15 lakh on-road and I found it VFM. Used to have a lot of features back then too which were eventually ripped out to embellish "The Dark Edition". Between that, the incessant price hikes of 25k every other month and now the Max with zero way for anybody on the outside to even tell it's the Long Range version (after all, people paying extra would want to show their special version off), I think Nexon as an EV has started losing the VFM proposition it once had. Anybody else with me on this? Tata seems to be exploiting their monopolistic position in the EV market and I, for one, would like some competition to crop up or this segment will start stagnating innovation-wise pretty soon. Kia's got the EV6 lined up but it'll be too costly, Tesla has moved on and VW is already sold out with their EVs for 2022 across the globe with no intentions of coming to India. MG ZS is no longer even an affordable option for the masses and the Kona has been discontinued. Ola and other two-wheelers products are crashing and burning literally, while the major carbon offenders (trucking ecosystem) have no incentives from the government to go electric. These small-scale improvements are fine but I worry for India's larger BEV scene. If you look at the larger picture, all that hype we saw back in '21 is proving to be a fad which seems to be dying quickly.
LEGION_FIVE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 10:27   #821
BHPian
 
Chrome6Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 313
Thanked: 733 Times
Default Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEGION_FIVE View Post
Hmm... Lots of people excited for Nexon EV Max I see. I own the XZ+, bought it back when it used to be sub-15 lakh on-road and I found it VFM. Used to have a lot of features back then too which were eventually ripped out to embellish "The Dark Edition". Between that, the incessant price hikes of 25k every other month and now the Max with zero way for anybody on the outside to even tell it's the Long Range version (after all, people paying extra would want to show their special version off), I think Nexon as an EV has started losing the VFM proposition it once had. Anybody else with me on this? Tata seems to be exploiting their monopolistic position in the EV market and I, for one, would like some competition to crop up or this segment will start stagnating innovation-wise pretty soon. Kia's got the EV6 lined up but it'll be too costly, Tesla has moved on and VW is already sold out with their EVs for 2022 across the globe with no intentions of coming to India. MG ZS is no longer even an affordable option for the masses and the Kona has been discontinued. Ola and other two-wheelers products are crashing and burning literally, while the major carbon offenders (trucking ecosystem) have no incentives from the government to go electric. These small-scale improvements are fine but I worry for India's larger BEV scene. If you look at the larger picture, all that hype we saw back in '21 is proving to be a fad which seems to be dying quickly.

You make some good points, Tata has been increasing prices because they have no competition. However this is the case with most manufacturers. Look at the Kushaq for instance the price has been increased by Rs. 70000!

However I don't know about the EV fad dying just yet. The bookings are increasing for both MG and Tata and they are unable to make deliveries. Maruti and Mahindra will eventually bring in their EVs and I'd give it 3 to 5 years before almost all the manufacturers are releasing affordable EVs.
Chrome6Boy is offline  
Old 23rd May 2022, 11:18   #822
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Nagpur
Posts: 75
Thanked: 393 Times
Default Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEGION_FIVE View Post
If you look at the larger picture, all that hype we saw back in '21 is proving to be a fad which seems to be dying quickly.
I own a Tigor XZ+ EV and received a total subsidy of Rs. 2,30,000/- from the Government of Maharashtra. Made it immensely value for money. Now with all subsidies gone, suddenly these cars don't seem to justify economics for most people. One will have to travel a lot more to justify an EV purchase from an economics point of view. Considering that most will not be buying simply for the environment. Even the charging infrastructure and it's reliability in most parts of the country (on highways) needs to be improved dramatically.

In my opinion, the State Governments' have to support EVs a bit longer till there is enough competition in the market to then let the markets decide the correct price.
Jattitude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 13:39   #823
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Greater Noida
Posts: 28
Thanked: 100 Times
Default Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
You make some good points, Tata has been increasing prices because they have no competition. However this is the case with most manufacturers. Look at the Kushaq for instance the price has been increased by Rs. 70000!

However I don't know about the EV fad dying just yet. The bookings are increasing for both MG and Tata and they are unable to make deliveries. Maruti and Mahindra will eventually bring in their EVs and I'd give it 3 to 5 years before almost all the manufacturers are releasing affordable EVs.
I get what you're saying and I do agree that MG and Tata are getting so many more orders than they're able to fulfill but that's exactly why I talked about the larger picture. What was being talked about a couple years ago does not seem to be panning out as a whole. Whatever growth there is, it's mostly concentrated in the passenger car market and even then that's less than 3% of the entire automotive industry. My concern is that this "growth" may just become a small localised bubble as it is now. And as Jattinator pointed out, even that may burst as governments withdraw incentives. Since fuel prices started hiking, EVs were starting to become an attractive option for most. But with these major price hikes in EV units, the masses are shifting to used ICE car market rather than gravitating to EVs. The rest, especially the major offenders when it comes to carbon emissions like the trucking industry, does not even have any good reasons to go electric.
LEGION_FIVE is offline  
Old 23rd May 2022, 14:14   #824
BHPian
 
Chrome6Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 313
Thanked: 733 Times
Default Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEGION_FIVE View Post
I get what you're saying and I do agree that MG and Tata are getting so many more orders than they're able to fulfill but that's exactly why I talked about the larger picture. What was being talked about a couple years ago does not seem to be panning out as a whole. Whatever growth there is, it's mostly concentrated in the passenger car market and even then that's less than 3% of the entire automotive industry. My concern is that this "growth" may just become a small localised bubble as it is now. And as Jattinator pointed out, even that may burst as governments withdraw incentives. Since fuel prices started hiking, EVs were starting to become an attractive option for most. But with these major price hikes in EV units, the masses are shifting to used ICE car market rather than gravitating to EVs. The rest, especially the major offenders when it comes to carbon emissions like the trucking industry, does not even have any good reasons to go electric.
You're probably right that the EV adoption isn't progressing as quickly as people predicted . The pandemic and semiconductor shortages certainly didn't help. Also China shutting down cities periodically due to Covid is hurting even more.

My comments were about passenger cars not trucking. The whole world is moving towards EVs, especially in the richer countries the adoption is growing very fast. Government incentives will help start the adoption but it won't be the real reason for in the long run. I obviously don't need to go into the advantages of an EV like the power and silence since you already own one. I booked the ZS the minute I finished my test drive, no IC engine can even compare in my eyes.

Nexon EV sold 2200 units last month which is huge for a country like India. It accounted for 16% of all Nexon sales which is frankly astounding. I think Indians are ready for EVs, since it is new technology some are hesitant. Once Maruti brings in the Wagon R EV (if they eventually get around to it) you will see the "kitna deti hai" guys go wild. Running costs plus very low maintenance costs will win the people over, used cars can never give you that.

Last edited by Chrome6Boy : 23rd May 2022 at 14:17.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 20:54   #825
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 31
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Can anyone please share on their waiting period experience for getting Nexon EV XZ+ White colour ?

We have completed 100 days of waiting with 50k price hike from date of booking already!

Each passing day with zero transparency from dealer is making me more inclined to cancel the booking all together!
diablo29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2022, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks