Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2020, 19:41   #76
BHPian

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic86 View Post
Hey guys!

Took delivery of my Nexon EV XZ+ Lux variant a week back and already covered ~500 kms. Loving every bit of it and can't stop driving it just for the fun. Two full recharges done and on average got a range of 200-225 kms. Expecting more range once traffic picks up.
Attachment 2032543
Congrats Charan on owning this electric beauty. Your's and Srimans vlogs are now boosting confidence in me to shift towards electric
Sahilrai166 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 00:08   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahilrai166 View Post
Congrats Charan on owning this electric beauty. Your's and Srimans vlogs are now boosting confidence in me to shift towards electric
Wait a little longer. Had that issue again where it suddenly shifted to neutral while driving and left us stranded. Service guy gave us a hack where I had to disconnect the auxiliary battery and it worked. But a serious issue to be resolved. Visiting the service centre tomorrow to get it rectified.
classic86 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 09:23   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Wait a little longer. Had that issue again where it suddenly shifted to neutral while driving and left us stranded. Service guy gave us a hack where I had to disconnect the auxiliary battery and it worked. But a serious issue to be resolved. Visiting the service centre tomorrow to get it rectified.
Thanks for this update as well as all the updates on YouTube. I have taken a test drive of this vehicle and fallen in love with it because Nexon is already a good product with good looks, ride and handling, build quality-safety, decent features list but this electric technology makes this product feel comparable to a premium car because of that obvious refinement-silence, acceleration, non AMT automatic, even flatter ride quality compared to the ICE version, etc.

Only thing that is stopping me from putting my money down is the battery capacity and range. At approx. 175 km in Sports mode and upto 225-240 km in Drive mode, this car still remains a purely city car and I dont like my vehicles to be restricted in terms of usage even though i own other cars. I hope Tata puts a minimum 40 kwh battery in it asap so that it becomes suitable for intercity commutes as well. I am certainly buying this car when this battery upgrade is done!

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 31st July 2020 at 09:25.
46TheDoctor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 09:44   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
Thanks for this update as well as all the updates on YouTube. I have taken a test drive of this vehicle and fallen in love with it because Nexon is already a good product with good looks, ride and handling, build quality-safety, decent features list but this electric technology makes this product feel comparable to a premium car because of that obvious refinement-silence, acceleration, non AMT automatic, even flatter ride quality compared to the ICE version, etc.

Only thing that is stopping me from putting my money down is the battery capacity and range. At approx. 175 km in Sports mode and upto 225-240 km in Drive mode, this car still remains a purely city car and I dont like my vehicles to be restricted in terms of usage even though i own other cars. I hope Tata puts a minimum 40 kwh battery in it asap so that it becomes suitable for intercity commutes as well. I am certainly buying this car when this battery upgrade is done!
Range will be much lesser than that because you have recharge with 10-20% left. Waiting is a good choice of inter city is needed because few chargers can change the whole situation.
classic86 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 10:15   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Range will be much lesser than that because you have recharge with 10-20% left. Waiting is a good choice of inter city is needed because few chargers can change the whole situation.
Actually i am waiting for higher battery capacity and range because even if the chargers are available in the future, i am not comfortable stopping for more than 1 hour (including the potential queues for the charger) every 150-200 km on the highway. I tend to take large breaks after every 250-300 km during longer drives. Also, most of the big cities around pune (except Mumbai) are at 220-260 km from Pune which take around 3-4 hours to travel and people normally tend to do that without a large break, so it will be convenient and hence practical to have that much range with additional 10-20% buffer charge. This way we can reach either our destinations without a forced charging break or at least upto a distance where we will willingly prefer a larger break while our cars also get charged.

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 31st July 2020 at 10:22.
46TheDoctor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 10:28   #81
BHPian

Test Drove the Nexon EV Lux+ variant last week. The white interiors truly make the cabin a lot roomier and the sunroof adds to it. The seats are well contoured and look premium in the leatherette finish. Tata has taken great efforts to add subtle design elements to both the Interior and Exterior to make the EV sit apart from its ICE siblings and those touches are really eye-catching.

The first thing to strike you as soon as you start the vehicle is the noiseless nature of the car at idle. Initial ride impressions were great, The steering, suspension felt great on potholed Mumbai roads. The pickup in D mode itself is better than most ICE cars out there. The "S" mode is out of this world. Forget the 0-100 timing, its a different thrill to experience continuous acceleration from 0-100 in just one gear.

Really proud of what a Home-grown manufacturer like Tata has achieved. If your daily running is <175 kms, I can safely say this is the best value money can buy today. The meager running costs and the performance will put a smile on your face very single time.
Pashin is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 11:03   #82
BHPian

I am really impressed with the Nexon EV. My Honda Jazz V-CVT is 5 years old and at 28000 kms. It is used 99% of the time within the city making school trips and running errands.

I plan to keep the Jazz for one more year till the extended warranty expires and replace it with an EV. My hope is Tata will iron out most of the niggles and also have a better range option by then.

With an average running of 500 odd kms a month and covered parking right next to electric room its a no brainer to get an electric car.

As a calculative person logic says the Jazz will do its job for at-least 3 more years but as a motor head its good to have a change from a lethargic CVT to punchy electric (we are not getting any younger).
tazmaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 13:07   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post

As a calculative person logic says the Jazz will do its job for at-least 3 more years but as a motor head its good to have a change from a lethargic CVT to punchy electric (we are not getting any younger).
The gearbox of Nexon EV also behaves like a CVT. It's one long single stepless gear. BTW, I drove one 2 weeks back and the acceleration was just crazy. Tata says 9.9 seconds to 100. I think that's in D mode. In S mode, it seemed like it would hit 100 in under 8.5 or so. I didn't clock it but that's what it looked like.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 21:00   #84
BHPian

Proud of the fact that Tata came up with this lil gem of an EV car with a perfect positioning. If one does most of their travelling within city and are even remotely inclined to go eco friendly with a budget of around 15 lacs, the Nexon EV is a literal no brainer.

I am a proud owner of a Tata Hexa XTA and am just waiting for the Harrier to get an EV option which hopefully shall have a bigger battery too. And that my friends shall be the vehicle for my plunge into the EV world.
Flash777 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 21:08   #85
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash777 View Post
I am a proud owner of a Tata Hexa XTA and am just waiting for the Harrier to get an EV option which hopefully shall have a bigger battery too. And that my friends shall be the vehicle for my plunge into the EV world.
Harrier EV is nowhere in the future pipeline of products to come from Tata Motors. I don't think they will ever make one in the near future, or atleast for the next four to five years. Their next launches are Altroz EV, Gravitas, Altroz based sedan, HBX/H2X, and an SUV between Nexon & Harrier.
wheelguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 23:00   #86
BHPian

This is what @TataMotorsEV tweeted today:

Quote:
Hi, thank you for writing to us. In the next 18 to 24 months, we will be coming up with a range of Electric Vehicles. Stay tuned to our website and social media pages to know more.
@TataMotorsEV

We know about AltrozEV, may be HBX EV too , but I guess there are more coming from them .
A Harrier EV with 170ps ,350NM eTorque and 50KWH battery at 25 Lakhs sounds good right ? Just a guess work !
TorqueIndia is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 00:41   #87
Senior - BHPian

According to Ravenavi, Nexon ev to get range of 500 kms. So with 30kwh it's certified for 312 kms, then Nexon itself is getting ~50kwh battery.

With battery prices well below 150$/kWh( 20*150*75= 2.25lakh), the Nexon with 50kwh battery can be priced at 18-19 lakh. If it's launched 2 years later Tata can price it at 16lakh for the XZ+ as battery prices keep falling.

If Altroz ev with 50kwh is offered at 14-15 lakh that would be just awesome. Harrier should atleast get a 65 kWh battery, it's a big vehicle.

Tata should take the Zest give it a 50kwh battery for the taxi segment, we should start attacking the taxi segment. We can convert all city taxis to EV very easily.
SKC-auto is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 09:18   #88
BHPian

I test drove the Tata Nexon EV a month back and was absolutely in love with the driving dynamics, the acceleration, the torque. It was a delight to drive in the D mode itself, the S mode is beyond expectations. However, the only thing stopping me was, this being a 15-16 lac vehicle would be my primary vehicle and with the wish to take frequent highway trips, it would have been impossible. Plus, shelling out 15-16 lac for a vehicle and not being able to travel long distances with it was not fathomable for me. Also, it would have been uncomfortable to take i10(my other vehicle) for the long highway trips.
sahil624 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 16:07   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Harrier EV is nowhere in the future pipeline of products to come from Tata Motors. I don't think they will ever make one in the near future, or atleast for the next four to five years. Their next launches are Altroz EV, Gravitas, Altroz based sedan, HBX/H2X, and an SUV between Nexon & Harrier.
What I understand from the Press statements by Tata is that they are planning to launch 4 more EV variants by 2022-23 apart from the current Nexon EV.

These include 2 SUVs, 1 Hatchback and 1 sedan.

My guess is that one of the SUV is the micro SUV H2X. Hatchback is the Altroz. Sedan is the Altroz based sedan.

This leaves one more SUV which logically and hopefully could be Harrier which makes sense for a premium EV.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aut...-months-415785
Flash777 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 21:22   #90

Just saw this video on youtube

Any other Nexon EV owners facing the same issue?
Looks bad.
roshanvalsan is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed