Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2022, 17:20   #901
BHPian

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Latest update for my Nexon Ev Max.

Last 187kms in 89% charge. My chaffeur started charging before i could photograph that. So approximately 210kms on full charge.
When i drive its usually around 160-165wH/km, which equates to 230-235kms. When it changes hands it goes higher to about 180wH/km.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-feebbf904108415e897c7542894463e0.jpeg  

spkrnh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 18:14   #902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrnh View Post
Latest update for my Nexon Ev Max.

Last 187kms in 89% charge. My chaffeur started charging before i could photograph that. So approximately 210kms on full charge.
When i drive its usually around 160-165wH/km, which equates to 230-235kms. When it changes hands it goes higher to about 180wH/km.
I own a Tigor EV that has done 12,500 kms in the last 8 months. I am easily able to achieve ~100-110 wH/km with careful driving, ~125-135 wH/km with normal driving and ~150-165 wH/km with spirited driving (which is a rare event). I get an average range of 220 kms under most conditions and 250-260 kms if driven carefully.

With EVs it's about learning to drive them. If you continue driving them like an ICE car, you can forget about the range.
Jattitude is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 20:23   #903
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruichladdich View Post
If I had to rate the car overall at initial impression, I would give 7.5/10
Hey Bruichladdich - How has your experience been after a month of ownership? Do you primarily sit at the back or drive it yourself?

I test drove the vehicle today from Puneet auto at Prabhadevi. Power etc is ok (don’t care much since it’s going to be chauffeured most of the time) but the suspension for the back seat appeared a little on the harsher side. I’m not sure if that’s the state of tune or due to the condition of the car! The car did seem like it has already taken a lot of TD abuse at 43k kms. The AC sounded louder than usual, the seat height adjuster’s plastic handle was broken, one of the trim piece in the front ac vents was missing - suffice to say, TATA has a long long way to have better control on the dealers. The sales guy himself said that the car had 3 shunts due to which I could hear rattling from the tail gate.

How much usable range do you get? I’m looking to buy the Prime (non-Max) and TD the same today. They still have subsidy on it (they claim) and ready vehicles in stock. This is primarily for city drives, we currently use our Innova which is 8.5yrs old and still quite comfortable but the fuel expense is substantial with the hike in fuel prices - roughly 25k per month!

Appreciate your input

Thanks

Last edited by aah78 : 13th August 2022 at 17:45. Reason: Quote trimmed.
RJK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 00:16   #904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
The level 3 regen mode is useful for one pedal driving in city, it's as if you are braking. Level 1 or level 0 is very useful in highways where you can coast a lot.

The DTE has significant jump when using level 3 but I am yet to see significant wh/km reduction for my H2H, probably it reduced by 3 to 4 wh/km nothing much.
Whenever I drive Tata Nexon EV, I hardly use brakes and let regen mode do the braking. I guess level 3 is my style of driving when it comes to EV. I don't drive Audi A4 at all like that. It's honestly not about the range but EV driving style is very different than ICE as regen mode braking is sufficient not to use brakes. Waiting for my update. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shresth_EV View Post
As I told the gripe, it did in fact end up happening, my mom (who drives it daily) does indeed forget to change the regen mode in morning. So the numbers aren’t concrete (limited test cases).

From a some days of the week when she did change it, we saw a jump of about 15-20km to DTE — from 240ish before to 260ish now.

However I’d say that’s more due to use of CC than regen modes (the commute is more on a bypass road which close to a highway of sorts, 20km each way)
Planning to do road trip from Bombay to Goa and return. Just don't know when but would love to use CC during that time and see the real world difference in range. Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Hey Bruichladdich - How has your experience been after a month of ownership? Do you primarily sit at the back or drive it yourself?
I honestly don't drive much. It's just early morning when I go to my gym and Sundays when I go out. Rest all day it's my chauffeur who drives the car.

I did experience the worst with Tata Nexon EV TD car but I knew TD cars are always heavily abused. Also let's be honest, Tata has improved with it's quality than previous generation but it's obviously not the best, so wear and tear with time will be there. Nevertheless, my Tata Nexon EV is flawless and there's no complaint of loud A/C noise or anything as such. The ride is very much comfortable but not the best. Everything is well packaged when it comes to Tata Nexon EV. I just don't like cup holders. In fact, they're useless. I drink lot of coffee and I'm not able to keep my coffee in front cup holders and rear cup holders. I don't know what kind of design they have made but it's crap and useless. Such basic things should have been done simple but that's Tata

Other than that, don't have a single complaint. I can definitely tell you that stereo sound is far better than Honda City and many other cars. Ground clearance gives you a good sense of peace to drive around pot holes. The car looks hot in black edition. The instrument cluster looks very superior with lots of info so it will take sometime to get use to it. Even with the infotainment system but then it's well made. Its User Interface is not cheap like Maruti. Reverse camera is also decent quality. Trust me the new Honda City reverse camera is F up. Reverse parking sensors work correctly. All these practical little things do matter and Tata Nexon EV scores well. Again, Cup Holders are the worst I've ever seen in any car

Today I had to rush somewhere so I drove in sports mode (I never drive sports mode because you can't really cruise anywhere in Bombay) and it was a breeze. The pick up is insane on sports mode and luckily the roads were empty so I really enjoyed driving on sports mode. Also, I just happen to burn 2% driving on sports mode. It was about 5kms, so not bad.

My advice, just buy the car before subsidy and stock runs out. You won't regret, especially when the electricity bill comes which is dirt cheap compared to fuel prices.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th August 2022 at 06:00. Reason: Quoted text trimmed; extra smiley deleted
Bruichladdich is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 12:57   #905
BHPian

I am thinking of getting a Nexon EV/EV Max. I will be using these for 50% city and 50% highway. In most of the places in South India, we have chargers within 250 kms range.

My question to fellow owners, what is the real range for EV/EV max when driving at highway speed (100-120 mph) with AC?

Also, I have experienced during test drive the AC getting switched off often. Is this an issue with the particular car or is it a problem in general?
Old 14th August 2022, 12:52   #906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post

My question to fellow owners, what is the real range for EV/EV max when driving at highway speed (100-120 mph) with AC?
180kms. Expect more only if you are going to drive sensibly but it will take a toll on your head. You don't want to be reminded about range every time so drive like an ICE car and expect 180kms range with A/C on.
Bruichladdich is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 15:27   #907

NexoneEV Delhi to Nanital

First Impression - Road Trip Delhi to Nanital

Hello fellow BHPians,
This is first post ever on any form and so please excuse me for any shortcomings in this post.

Having bought a Nexon EV XZ+ this July I was itching to go on a trip and the opportunity presented itself when the long 15th August weekend came along.

Did a bit of research online , read all the posts in this forum and I was ready to go on this adventure with a friend.

14th August 6a.m.
Started with SOC of 100% left the city early to beat the morning rush of Delhites headings out of town to make the best of the long weekend
Stopped enroute to pick up my friend and we were off .
9:15am we reached the Statiq 60kw fast charger at Gajraula. The top-up was rater quick as at 10:36 we were at 100% SOC. The interlude gave us time for quick breakfast at Chicago Pizza . The huge McDonald's was shut for upgradation.

Our next pit stop as per the plan was at Hotel Suba GenX at Beil Padao, Corbett National Park taking the scenic Tanda - Bazpur route. We reached the Tata 30kw charger at 1:45pm and immediately plunged in . Unfortunately this fast charger had some issues and just would not charge beyond a few minutes. It took us 5 charging sessions spread over two hours to get as upto 57% SOC . Having lost a lot of time we took a call that this amount of charge would take us to our destination at Khurpatal a distance of 40km.

This last 1hour leg of the journey did give some range anxiety as the last 25 km drive was uphill right from Kaladhungi to Khurpatal. We made it our destination with 18% SOC drive this part of the journey without air conditioning ( trying to save every bit of charge) reaching at 5pm.

As per my observations of energy consumption

Highway speeds of ~100km/h with AC set at 25°C and the ambient outside temperature of 35°C I got about 2km per percentage drop in SOC.
Highway speeds of ~60km/h without AC I was able to squeeze a range of about 2.8km for every percent drop in SOC.
Hill drive without air conditioning I observed a 1 percentage point drop in SOC per km of driving.

I hope this small post well help our EV riders to enjoy the fun of long drives out of town.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th August 2022 at 18:02. Reason: Typo
DelhiteEVrider is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 12:45   #908
BHPian

Only 180 kms of range on a full charge that too on the highway is atrocious. I still believe sub 50L EV’s have a long way to go before they can come anywhere near fuel powered cars (let alone beat) in terms of range.
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 22:35   #909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Only 180 kms of range on a full charge that too on the highway is atrocious. I still believe sub 50L EV’s have a long way to go before they can come anywhere near fuel powered cars (let alone beat) in terms of range.
There's no doubt EV cars can take over fuel cars at this point because EV has just started to evolve on a larger scale. There will be upgraded smaller batteries with higher range, fast chargers in the future will take 10-15mins charging for 0-100% battery, there will massive charging stations across highways and we are seeing this happening today but on a minute scale.

The most important part about EV cars, they're already giving tough times to fuel cars even while they have just started. Tata Nexon EV owners are seeing significant savings on fuel cost. People are taking their cars to hill stations even when infrastructure in India is weak. The drive of an EV car is far better than fuel cars as EV cars have immense torque.

I was very focused on range before buying Tata Nexon EV. When Tata launched Nexon EV Max, I thought it would be the best choice for me has it has almost 70-100kms more range. But then I thought about charging times. Larger the battery, more the time to charge and DC chargers are not healthy for batteries. So if I want to travel somewhere or even charge at home, in 8 hours my Tata Nexon EV is fully charged compared to 16 hours of Tata Nexon EV Max. Finding a 12V socket anywhere is far easier than relying on AC chargers or charging for 16 hours full battery is extremely time consuming.

Higher range is not everything when it comes to EV cars. Sure, it's the best to have 500kms range but then you need to have more AC chargers around too and not just DC chargers. In India, you can find 12V charging socket everywhere, in hotels, villas, restaurants, commercial buildings, shopping complex etc. That's my reason to buy Tata Nexon EV and not EV MAX. I truly don't think charging stations are important, it's the battery in EV world which will take over on fuel cars.

I'm very confident we will see batteries where 0-100 charging in 5mins

-----

0-100% Charging in 15mins

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/93476020.cms
Bruichladdich is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 09:48   #910
BHPian

Hello friends. I will be taking the delivery of the XZA+ Dark next week. When does Tata power come for survey and fitting of the Charging point? I was informed it's done after car is delivered. So what do we do till Tata decides to come? Aren't they supposed to keep everything ready?
Old 17th August 2022, 11:07   #911
BANNED

Quote:
I can get 10km/l on any ICE vehicle, if I drive in an uneconomical mode. I can also achieve 20+km/l also if I drive better. What I am trying to say is the range on any vehicle is dependent on the terrain, traffic and driving pattern.

Faster you go, lesser the range and that's because of Mother Nature and Aerodynamics. I have done few highway runs on my Nexon EV, where I kept it around 80kph speed, and got around 200 to 220 km easily. If you go lower than that to say 60kph you will get 250km easily.
DarthVeda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 17:27   #912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
I can get 10km/l on any ICE vehicle, if I drive in an uneconomical mode. I can also achieve 20+km/l also if I drive better. What I am trying to say is the range on any vehicle is dependent on the terrain, traffic and driving pattern.

Faster you go, lesser the range and that's because of Mother Nature and Aerodynamics. I have done few highway runs on my Nexon EV, where I kept it around 80kph speed, and got around 200 to 220 km easily. If you go lower than that to say 60kph you will get 250km easily.
That’s the point, no one drives at 60 on an expressway. Most people are doing 100-130 and with newer roads coming in soon we’ll see legal limits of 150. Even at 120 in the Nexon you’ll get 150-180kms of range, which makes it impossible to use on a highway.

In my petrol cars I can drive aggressively at highway speeds and still get 900 kms+ to a full tank. Also, being speed limited to just 120 is downright dangerous in certain overtaking situations.
Old 17th August 2022, 23:30   #913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
Hello friends. I will be taking the delivery of the XZA+ Dark next week. When does Tata power come for survey and fitting of the Charging point? I was informed it's done after car is delivered. So what do we do till Tata decides to come? Aren't they supposed to keep everything ready?
I got my Nexon EV XZ+ delivered in July, and the charger was installed 3 days prior to date of delivery. I wonder how could TATA Motors deliver a EV to you without giving you access to a charger. I guess you should talk to the guys again and insist on getting the fitment done before delivery.
Old 18th August 2022, 10:09   #914
BHPian

Quote:
That’s the point, no one drives at 60 on an expressway. Most people are doing 100-130 and with newer roads coming in soon we’ll see legal limits of 150. Even at 120 in the Nexon you’ll get 150-180kms of range, which makes it impossible to use on a highway.

In my petrol cars I can drive aggressively at highway speeds and still get 900 kms+ to a full tank. Also, being speed limited to just 120 is downright dangerous in certain overtaking situations.
That's why nobody drives on Highway. You're comparing a full fledge ICE car vs EV car at its beginning. The infrastructure also laid out for ICE cars and not for EV cars. Let's say it drives 150kms but charging also takes time for EV cars as of now.

So I don't understand why there's even a comparison at the first place. You can't compare an old experience men vs a small baby who has just started taking baby steps.
Bruichladdich is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 21:52   #915
BANNED

Quote:

You can do 900km to a full tank driving at 100 to 130, which car are we talking about?

BTW, Nexon EV with its limited battery capacity and battery charging rate is going to be a problem on highway driving of more than 500km. Anything below that is easily manageable driving at 80-100kph with two stops for charge, which can coincide with your breakfast and lunch breaks.

Very few cars can manage 130kph average speed, and throughout my highway driving experience, you only gain 10 to 30 minutes by driving at 100+ instead of 80kph.
DarthVeda is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks