Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2022, 22:13   #916
BHPian

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
You can do 900km to a full tank driving at 100 to 130, which car are we talking about?

BTW, Nexon EV with its limited battery capacity and battery charging rate is going to be a problem on highway driving of more than 500km. Anything below that is easily manageable driving at 80-100kph with two stops for charge, which can coincide with your breakfast and lunch breaks.

Very few cars can manage 130kph average speed, and throughout my highway driving experience, you only gain 10 to 30 minutes by driving at 100+ instead of 80kph.
Totally in agreement with you our highways 80-100 Km/h is ideal speed with Nexon Ev max , anything above 300km with one stop will do but for 500km a two stop strategy coinciding with meals is way too go a little bit of time management we need to learn with Evs I guess this much we can do for betterment of all.
Old 18th August 2022, 23:31   #917
BHPian

A short Update and review as an owner of Nexon EV Max.

In relation to the photo below :
The 132 kms between 2 cities was covered fully in City mode with regen off because the deceleration when i lift off was making the passenger sick.
I also had to idle at the same spot waiting for an appointment for nearly 2 hours which consumed 6% charge(from 69-63%).
Reducing that 6% i travelled 132 kms in 60% charge which equates to 220kms range. So even if you maintain higher speeds like 110-115kmph, 200kms can be easily covered on EV Max.

I drove pretty enthusiastically and maintained 110-120kmph on the expressway. At that speed and with 0 regen it was showing around 190Wh/km.
I drove 2 weeks earlier in eco mode with regen at 2 and it showed 160Wh/km at speeds around 90-100kmph.

Some other points i want to share in query to some posts posted earlier :
1. Suspension is very good for the segment. I dont find much of a difference between the ICE and EV Nexon. I had an Ecosport earlier and compared to that car, the build and highway stability of Nexon is slightly inferior, but suspension is definitely superior at low and medium speeds. Steering feel is not uniform. It is responsive at speeds upto 60kmph. At high speeds it tightens up but it comes in steps and not in a naturally progressive way like Ecosport or Compass and feels unnecessarily heavy at times. Also on uneven roads and expansion joints it gets very slightly unsettled. But again this is only when you compare to cars a segment above. Comparing to City and Kia, i would say it is slightly better for ride/handling.
Also for Chaffeur driven who do not need that extra 40–50kms the Prime is a better option for rear seat comfort due to the lower floor and v good thigh support.

2. I saw lots of great figures at 90-100wh/kms from other owners. I can understand that when you are driving an electric car anyone would want to eke out the best figures. But i am enjoying the acceleration and response so much i find it hard to drive like a saint. I saw one of the youtube videos showing a 8.6sec 0-100 and it feels as fast.
Suffice to say, whatever i am posting are likely to be among the lower ranges one would get driving the EV Max.

3. I saw some posts against EVs regarding range. Maybe for someone using it as an only car it might not make sense due to the low range but for my running of 1600-1700kms / month within my city primarily and 2 trips/month to another city 180kms away it makes perfect sense. (That is one of the main reasons i opted for Max over the regular EV. 180kms might make me change my driving style and give range anxiety in the regular Nexon EV, whereas i am confident i can easily make it in my Max.) Also how many drive continously at 130-150kmph on expressways when after 120kmph you get the warning beeps. Even though Max does 140kmph i find it irritating to cross 120 with the beeps.

Though i am someone who loves to drive and we have owned and driven many driver centric cars like Jetta, Octavia, e250d, Fiesta, Ecosport ecoboost, old Figo and Compass extensively, after my one month with Nexon ive realised my future purchases will be only EV. If this car can go 200kms easily an 80kw battery in I4 and xc40 should do 375-400 effortlessly and for those who can afford the 110kw in merc eqe/eqs can go 450 plus kms easily.
I for one am not going to travel more than that in a single drive. The acceleration, quietness and smoothness of EV has won me over completely. My Trailhawk felt right down sluggish when i took it out in the city after 2 weeks with the Nexon.
(But again, ive started hoping and praying Jeep comes out with an electric Compass at the earliest with similar or faster acceleration. With the build, suspension and feelsome steering of the Compass it would be an absolute blast.)

Let us hope my ownership experience over the next 6-7 years is mostly trouble free.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-74136800b544453ea7e357382c48acae.jpeg  

Last edited by spkrnh : 18th August 2022 at 23:38.
spkrnh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 15:05   #918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrnh View Post
If this car can go 200kms easily an 80kw battery in I4 and xc40 should do 375-400 effortlessly
XC40 with a 75 KWH battery has a lower range than MG ZS EV's 50 KWH battery. That's because of the AWD system, higher weight and lower efficiency for some reason.

It was quite surprising when I did the test drive to find such a low range.

I am expecting the Ioniq 5 to have a great range. Let's see
shyampsunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 15:11   #919
BHPian

Quote:
You can do 900km to a full tank driving at 100 to 130, which car are we talking about?

BTW, Nexon EV with its limited battery capacity and battery charging rate is going to be a problem on highway driving of more than 500km. Anything below that is easily manageable driving at 80-100kph with two stops for charge, which can coincide with your breakfast and lunch breaks.

Very few cars can manage 130kph average speed, and throughout my highway driving experience, you only gain 10 to 30 minutes by driving at 100+ instead of 80kph.
2.4L Accord. Yes 800km+ easily on a full tank, I get 11+ km/L on expressways with a 75L tank you can do the math.

Who’s talking about avg. speed? I don’t drive the entire 800-900km in one shot. I’ll stop every 2-3 hours to stretch and have a coffee and I’ll anyway fill up once I hit 30% fuel, but I’ve measured the volume used tankful to tankful and yes sitting at 100-130 with cruise on I easily get 800+ kms to a tank. Short of a Model S and Lucid Air, no other EV can touch that, and these two aren’t even sold in India yet.

I assure you, I’ve done Gurgaon-Mumbai many times and sitting at 110-120 vs 80 will lead to a much greater reduction in travel time than 10-30 mins.

The major problem with EV’s is two fold-

1) You have to plan with military precision where you’ll stop and wait for a minimum 30-60 mins, on a long road trip, this is very tiring. Fuel powered cars take 5 mins to refuel and gain hundreds of km of range.

2) There is no fast charger network in India and the very few that do exist are poorly maintained and often out of order, this can get dangerous at night with family in the middle of nowhere.

In addition, for all the performance hype, high speed performance is very poor. Above 110-120 the acceleration is horrible, and the top speed is capped at 120/140 for most mass market models. That’s not Tatas or Teslas fault, that’s just how the technology is, even the Model S performance, the fastest ev in the world gets destroyed by supercars above 180.

Regarding speed beeps, I’ve yet to find someone who didn’t have it disabled immediately, ridiculous system that irritates the driver and if anything causes them to speed even more

Last edited by AJ56 : 19th August 2022 at 15:13.
Old 19th August 2022, 15:30   #920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Even the Model S performance, the fastest ev in the world gets destroyed by supercars above 180.
Nope. It doesn't. A 2022 Tesla Model S Plaid will beat the top of the line 911 Turbo S and a 2022 BMW M5 CS in a quarter mile drag race. The Plaid takes 9.3 seconds to reach 245 km/h. No production ICE car can do that.

Those days of EVs running out of steam after 180 are gone, my friend.
EVs might have other problems, but getting to speed isn't one of them. Maintaining those speeds on the other hand is another thing altogether, but I digress.
DeKay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 15:58   #921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Nope. It doesn't. A 2022 Tesla Model S Plaid will beat the top of the line 911 Turbo S and a 2022 BMW M5 CS in a quarter mile drag race. The Plaid takes 9.3 seconds to reach 245 km/h. No production ICE car can do that.

Those days of EVs running out of steam after 180 are gone, my friend.
EVs might have other problems, but getting to speed isn't one of them. Maintaining those speeds on the other hand is another thing altogether, but I digress.
Fair enough, but the other two ICE cars will keep lapping while the model S overheats and the ECU starts restricting the power to the motors. I’m sure it’ll improve in the future but currently there’s a reason you can’t do back to drag races with a tesla without running into major heat issues, which also makes track use difficult if driving at the limit.

Also Model S is limited to 250 km/hr, both the Porsche 911 and M5 will eat it on an autobahn as they can easily cross that speed. Not to mention Model S starts overheating when driven more than a few mins even at 250 and gets further limited to 215, there’s a clip on YouTube showing this.

Plus, the mass market ev’s being talked about above have very poor acceleration above 120 I’ve experienced it myself, and I’m not even comparing to a sports car just my humble Accord with the standard 180 hp engine. Tigor EV is limited to just 80 km/hr.

Last edited by AJ56 : 19th August 2022 at 16:01.
Old 19th August 2022, 17:43   #922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fair enough, but the other two ICE cars will keep lapping while the model S overheats and the ECU starts restricting the power to the motors.
That is the old Model S, the Model S plaid and Taycan can be launched multiple times, formula E cars are fine running the entire race, the tech is already there. The only issue now for a track performance is battery weight, in a decade when the energy density multiples by 2-3 times, ICE cars cannot compete in any department with EVs.

Last edited by SKC-auto : 19th August 2022 at 17:47.
SKC-auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 18:20   #923
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Tigor EV is limited to just 80 km/hr.
Tigor EV is good for 120kmph, which is the maximum legal speed anywhere in India. It actually provides brisk acceleration till 80kmph, and obviously tapers off after that. Nexon EV Max is capped at 140, and can easily outdrag any similar priced ICE car at legal speeds, turbo petrol or turbo diesel. MG’s ZS EV tops out at about 160 and has even more brisk acceleration. Still, continuous high speed running in these cars is missing the point. Pls understand that these are mass market cars optimised to run most efficiently at city speeds.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 19th August 2022 at 18:21.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 18:23   #924
BANNED

Quote:
2.4L Accord. Yes 800km+ easily on a full tank, I get 11+ km/L on expressways with a 75L tank you can do the math.
75L tank!! now comparing an honda accord with a nexon EV isn't fair. Nexon EV capacity is something akin to 15L fuel tank, the Max maybe 25L fuel tank.

For longer drives, the EV to go for would be EV6, or the IONIQ 5 offerings other than german's offering.

Quote:
The major problem with EV’s is two fold-

1) You have to plan with military precision where you’ll stop and wait for a minimum 30-60 mins, on a long road trip, this is very tiring. Fuel powered cars take 5 mins to refuel and gain hundreds of km of range.
I fully agree, this would have been the case in the initial days of ICE as well, when the horse carriage owners would be laughing at someone going on a motor carriage.

Quote:
2) There is no fast charger network in India and the very few that do exist are poorly maintained and often out of order, this can get dangerous at night with family in the middle of nowhere.
There is and you would be surprising how well it is growing at, we have a fast charger in LEH and one in Port Blair. Have a look at Plugshare website and you will be surprised.

Quote:
In addition, for all the performance hype, high speed performance is very poor. Above 110-120 the acceleration is horrible, and the top speed is capped at 120/140 for most mass market models. That’s not Tatas or Teslas fault, that’s just how the technology is, even the Model S performance, the fastest ev in the world gets destroyed by supercars above 180.

Regarding speed beeps, I’ve yet to find someone who didn’t have it disabled immediately, ridiculous system that irritates the driver and if anything causes them to speed even more
Well, my friend, the fastest ICE car Bugatti Chiron got it's ass whooped by a Rimac Nivera.

There is a reason why EV speeds in India are capped, if that was not clear, it would be the range, it would be a disaster if someone dumb person took the Nexon on highway, gunned it to 160kph and expecting 312km* and stopping short at 50% of that range itself and then complaining on twitter.
DarthVeda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 18:48   #925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Tigor EV is good for 120kmph, which is the maximum legal speed anywhere in India. It actually provides brisk acceleration till 80kmph, and obviously tapers off after that
So this Autocar page is incorrect? I would love to be wrong as 80 is dreadfully low even for city use not to mention outright dangerous.

Quote:
75L tank!! now comparing an honda accord with a nexon EV isn't fair. Nexon EV capacity is something akin to 15L fuel tank, the Max maybe 25L fuel tank.
Fair enough, take my Amaze which is the same class of sub 4m car with a 35L fuel tank, I can do 110-130 all day and still get 12.5+ km/L which is over 400km in range, over twice that of a Tigor/Nexon ev.

Quote:
I fully agree, this would have been the case in the initial days of ICE as well, when the horse carriage owners would be laughing at someone going on a motor carriage.
Horse carriages are a completely different form of transport and technology compared to cars, not comparable to fuel vs electric power where the only difference is the type of propulsion system.

Quote:
Well, my friend, the fastest ICE car Bugatti Chiron got it's ass whooped by a Rimac Nivera.
The Chiron still has a higher top speed, not to mention no beautiful 16 cyl exhaust note in the Rimac.

Quote:
There is a reason why EV speeds in India are capped, if that was not clear, it would be the range, it would be a disaster if someone dumb person took the Nexon on highway, gunned it to 160kph and expecting 312km* and stopping short at 50% of that range itself and then complaining on twitter.
The same logic can be applied to fuel powered cars, if you drive hard you won’t get the ARAI mileage/range, everyone knows that, doesn’t mean ICE mfg’s go around limiting the top speed.

Forcefully limiting the speed is done to ensure the model doesn’t get bad press when people gun it past 120 and realise it performs worse than its anaemic 88hp petrol engined variant. As underpowered as it is, even an Amaze can cross 120 easily for that matter but not so with the Tigor ev, in fact so can its petrol Tigor cousin, need not look any further.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-38de837114e54c8cba17ac1ff4547b4e.png  

Last edited by AJ56 : 19th August 2022 at 19:18.
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 19:41   #926
BHPian

Tigor Ev on ZIPTRON technology gets a speed limit of 120 Km/h same is the case with Nexon Ev prime.

The fleet tigor ev expres t gets a speed limit of 80 Km/h sharing the owner manual screenshots.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-d71cb12855274b4ba079a71650fb091f.jpeg  

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-ae05e825f8e1427795a37ef7206e246d.jpeg  

Last edited by XRoader_001 : 19th August 2022 at 19:42.
XRoader_001 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 19:26   #927
BHPian

Has anyone driven Tata Nexon EV from Mumbai to Pune?

I am planning to go Pune and get the software updated as all the service centres in Bombay are giving October dates. Pune is giving me next week itself.

Also, it will be a fun drive to experience driving EV car outstation.

----

Has anyone tried the smartwatch connect after the software update? how well does it work?
Bruichladdich is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 14:07   #928
BHPian

Fellow T-Bhpians who are using the Nexon (EV or ICE) can you give me an idea of long term feedback for switchgear such as light stick, buttons for music system/phone etc. which may go through several thousands of clicks throughout the year? I mean to directly compare them with a Hyundai or Honda. Is long term reliability comparable?
arpanjha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 15:47   #929
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpanjha View Post
Fellow T-Bhpians who are using the Nexon (EV or ICE) can you give me an idea of long term feedback for switchgear such as light stick, buttons for music system/phone etc. which may go through several thousands of clicks throughout the year? I mean to directly compare them with a Hyundai or Honda. Is long term reliability comparable?
They are very good quality & will last just like any other brand. Similar switchgear from my Vista lasted a decade without a single issue. Nexon's has also worked fine 3 years into ownership without a single issue so far & the tactile feedback is still like it was on day one. Same for the stalks on the steering column. Don't worry about these - they are good.
Reinhard is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 20:46   #930
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys

I’ve booked a nexon EV, the delivery is supposed to be in a few days; basically once I make the full payment. Should happen in the next week or so. Car already has been allotted to me - want to know where can I do a quick check of the VIN for month of manufacturing.

I’ve booked through Puneet auto in Mumbai; they seem just about average but hopefully don’t have to deal with them too much.

One question-how many days do Tata guys take to come and install the charger at home?
RJK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks