Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2020, 09:34   #91
BHPian

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshanvalsan View Post
Just saw this video on YouTube

Any other Nexon EV owners facing the same issue?
Looks bad.
So I'm the owner in that video. The next day I went to a service centre and the technician checked for moisture in connectors and added some extra weather protection on the cables. Since then haven't faced the issue and also drove in flood level rain water yesterday. So seems fine for now but will update in a few weeks. You can check my next video (channel iGuru Crazy) for the work at service centre.

Last edited by vb-saan : 4th August 2020 at 13:39. Reason: Video link removed from the quoted portion. Thank you
classic86 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 10:37   #92
Senior - BHPian

It's scary when it conks off like that in traffic. Can't even switch on the hazard indicators. I still think this tech is in its infancy, and will need time. If Atmospheric Moisture in the terminals can stop the car, then I don't know what to say. They should probably pack it well and make it resistant. Tesla has cracked it and I read they're 10 years ahead of others in terms of tech. But then it's costing ten times more as well, (than a NexonEV). Good luck to you, and hope they have found a permanent solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by classic86 View Post
So I'm the owner in that video. Ther next day I went to a service centre and the technician checked for moisture in connectors and added some extra weather protection on the cables... Since then haven't faced the issue and also drove in flood level rain water yesterday. So seems fine for now but will update in a few weeks. You can check my next video (channel iGuru Crazy) for the work at service centre.
Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 09:05   #93
BHPian

I was wondering if Tata can make the Nexon EV a AWD vehicle!

In ICE version it doesnt seem possible but should be doable in case of EV i guess! The vehicle already has great Ground Clearance, great Approach and Departure angles, Short Wheelbase which are normally hallmarks of a good Offroader. If it becomes possible to add the AWD, along with the anticipated 500 km range battery, it should be a great practical lifestyle vehicle for anyone.

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 4th August 2020 at 09:07.
46TheDoctor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 22:43   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic86 View Post
The next day I went to a service centre and the technician checked for moisture in connectors and added some extra weather protection on the cables.
Feel pity for you man. But how come? The Nexon EV's battery pack is IP67 rated and this means there's no chance of water entering into the connectors. My suggestion to you is to get it thoroughly checked and water proof it hard so that this issue doesn't occur again.

On a positive note, congrats for your new Nexon EV and waiting for your full review. Despite this small niggles, I personally feel you've made the right choice as the Nexon EV is comfortable, has good performance and most importantly, scores high on safety. Wishing you a safe and fuss free motoring buddy.
Aniruthan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 04:09   #95
BHPian

So Tata has finally launched the subscription program. The pricing looks ridiculous.

For a 3 year subscription of XZ+, monthly payment is 41,900.

If we take a loan of full on road price of 16 lakh (just for calculation sake) at 8% rate, for the same duration of 3 years, EMI is about 50100.

So just to save Rs 8200 per month, we need to return the car after 3 years. Makes no sense to me.

EDIT: If that's not enough, the top sped is also capped at 80 kmph in case of subscription.

https://evsubscription.tatamotors.co.../electric?t=36

Last edited by pseudo_coder : 7th August 2020 at 04:19.
pseudo_coder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 06:56   #96
Senior - BHPian

Makes sense for EV because in three years your battery is half/three fourth's gone. You just trade it in for a new car
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
So just to save Rs 8200 per month, we need to return the car after 3 years. Makes no sense to me.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 15:55   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Makes sense for EV because in three years your battery is half/three fourth's gone. You just trade it in for a new car
I dont really think this is true. EV batteries have shown very little degradation. There are some Tesla Model S with close to a half a million km on a single pack with little degradation.

https://electrek.co/2020/06/06/tesla...n-replacement/

Quote:
A look at Tesla battery degradation and replacement after 400,000 miles

Now as for this specific high-mileage Tesla Model X. It’s a Model X 90D, which when new had an EPA rating of 257 miles (414 km).

Today, it gets 230 miles (370 km) on a full charge, which means a 10.5% degradation in battery capacity.
Tesla offers a 8-year battery warranty for 150,000 miles with 70% retention.

Here Are The Best And Worst Electric Cars In Terms Of Battery Degradation

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-thebestandworstevintermsofbatterydegradationarehere.jpg

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-thebestandworstevintermsofbatterydegradationarehere-1.jpg
avishar is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 09:16   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Any proof that half/three fouths of battery will be gone in 3 years?

Among all the major EVs that are released across the world, only Nissan Leaf's battery had significant decline after few years. Main reason for that is lack of active/liquid cooling for the battery. Also, there is vast improvements made in the battery technology in the last decade for longevity.

All the 3 EVs (Kona, ZS, Nexon) that are launched in India comes with liquid cooling of the battery. There may be instances of battery going kaput but that will be covered by 8 year/1.6 lakh km warranty.

Last edited by sri_tesla : 8th August 2020 at 09:19.
sri_tesla is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 18:49   #99
Senior - BHPian

Mandira Bedi Gifts Herself A Tata Nexon EV.

Mandira Bedi with her husband and their new Tata Nexon EV.

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-20200808_184711.jpg

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-smartselect_20200808184825_twitter.jpg

https://twitter.com/TatamotorsEV/sta...981093377?s=19
Venkatesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 20:55   #100
Senior - BHPian

It also depends how much you drive. Typically I cover 70,000 Kms in 3-4 years. No proof as such. My cousin in the US told me that the Leaf needs a battery overhaul in 4-5 years, so that's the reference. Tesla should be good for longer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
Any proof that half/three fourths of battery will be gone in 3 years? Among all the major EVs that are released across the world, only Nissan Leaf's battery had significant decline after few years. Main reason for that is lack of active/liquid cooling for the battery. Also, there is vast improvements made in the battery technology in the last decade for longevity. All the 3 EVs (Kona, ZS, Nexon) that are launched in India comes with liquid cooling of the battery. There may be instances of battery going kaput but that will be covered by 8 year/1.6 lakh km warranty.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 21:10   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Tata says 9.9 seconds to 100. I think that's in D mode. In S mode, it seemed like it would hit 100 in under 8.5 or so. I didn't clock it but that's what it looked like.
I have tested it in D mode, it's around 14 secs. It's just sub 10 secs in 'S' mode. Due to a single gear and no shifting it feels faster.

You can check this video in Youtube too- (Just searched by typing Nexon EV acceleration and this came up. It's in 'S' mode. This video shows around 9.x secs.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
I was wondering if Tata can make the Nexon EV a AWD vehicle!
The Nexon is based on the Tata Indica Vista platform, hence adding an AWD to this may not be possible. If they come up with the Tata Sierra EV, we might expect a 4WD in that! Lets wait & see, what Tata have in store for us!

Last edited by Samba : 8th August 2020 at 21:27.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 21:44   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It also depends how much you drive. Typically I cover 70,000 Kms in 3-4 years. No proof as such. My cousin in the US told me that the Leaf needs a battery overhaul in 4-5 years, so that's the reference. Tesla should be good for longer
Any product should never to be compared to a decade old product especially electric cars and also one which does not have liquid cooled batteries. It's like comparing the current gen iPhone with the one from 2010.

Batteries have become cheaper, safer( safer than ICE cars), better. Now companies have such confidence they are allowing to charge their cars above 250kw.
SKC-auto is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 08:25   #103
Senior - BHPian

That's understood. Let me put the context back. This was the statement I replied to - "So just to save Rs 8200 per month, we need to return the car after 3 years. Makes no sense to me". Let's focus on whether it is prudent or not, to avail this scheme. To me, getting new batteries is a plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
Any product should never to be compared to a decade old product
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 12:45   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
I have tested it in D mode, it's around 14 secs. It's just sub 10 secs in 'S' mode. Due to a single gear and no shifting it feels faster.
Oh, thanks for clarifying that, Samba. It must be an illusion. It definitely felt way faster than the numbers you mentioned. 14seconds is pedestrian. So, S is the mode to drive in for any fun. I think MG ZS is the fastest of the trio, at 8.5 seconds to quintal.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 11:53   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Oh, thanks for clarifying that, Samba. It must be an illusion. It definitely felt way faster than the numbers you mentioned. 14seconds is pedestrian. So, S is the mode to drive in for any fun. I think MG ZS is the fastest of the trio, at 8.5 seconds to quintal.
Because the torque is instantaneous, with no shifting or rev up delays, the acceleration seems way more than it really is. For most mere mortals, a 60-80 or 40-80 acceleration is far more important than 0-100 dash. And that is where the EVs really excels and that's why we think that the acceleration is better than what it really is.

Quote:
Nissan stuck to it's guns of making passively cooled battery packs for leafs and the customers paid with bad battery lives. Even they have finally come around with Aria and it's actively thermal managed pack.
Leafs are more an aberration than the rule when it comes to batteries, as every other manufacturer has copied tesla way and went with active thermal management. Remember Leaf and Rapidgate, another reason why they would slow down fast charging because their batteries would get too hot while fast charging.
I personally believe Leaf has done as much to damage the EVs as a concept as it has done to make them mainstream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
The Nexon is based on the Tata Indica Vista platform, hence adding an AWD to this may not be possible. If they come up with the Tata Sierra EV, we might expect a 4WD in that! Lets wait & see, what Tata have in store for us!
What about making 2 motor system? Then you do not need a transfer case. That boot space can be used for putting the motor. Put a 3 phase motor in the back and a PMSM in front, you will get best of both worlds as well .
Remove some room from that boot I think a run of around 200-500 LE cars should definitely be possible. Who knows it may become the next GTI

Last edited by mohanphadnis : 10th August 2020 at 11:54. Reason: Removed a smiley.
mohanphadnis is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks