Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2023, 13:26   #1051
BHPian

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
We pulled off from the highway and the car stopped by shifting to N after reaching zero! All these happened (from 22-0) within some 5-10 mins.
Oh jeez, why does it automatically shift to N? Isn't that crazy dangerous? What if you were on inclines/speeding? I thought this was fixed entirely on Nexon?

Don't they have some sort of limp mode that allows you to park?
Old 5th February 2023, 20:25   #1052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
This happens when the battery cells aren't calibrated. Slow charge to 100% and leave it at 100% for an hour.
Thanks, will try this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiccross View Post
Oh jeez, why does it automatically shift to N? Isn't that crazy dangerous? What if you were on inclines/speeding? I thought this was fixed entirely on Nexon?

Don't they have some sort of limp mode that allows you to park?
Yes, it was indeed limping
But the problem was, the drop from 20 to 0 was kind of abnormally fast that drastically reduced the reaction time.
Old 6th February 2023, 10:34   #1053
BHPian

Hello Everyone,
Need a bit advice from you all.
I am in the process of getting my Nexon EV Max XZ+.
When I went in for booking a vehicle, the Sales rep mentioned that there are 2022 models which have a company discount of 50k, which is not available for 2023 models.
He also mentioned that there is no change in either and every year end they get a bulk lot of vehicles allotted and its due to that they have a few cars available which can be allotted to me immediately.
If I need to go for 23 models, there is a waiting period of 1 month.

Need your views on how to proceed. I have already paid advance for a 22 model, but I can still change it.

Thank you.
Old 6th February 2023, 10:53   #1054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
This happens when the battery cells aren't calibrated. Slow charge to 100% and leave it at 100% for an hour. If it continues to happen even after that talk to your SC and get the battery checked.
It is better if Tata motors get more proactive about these issues.
Is it not feasible for them to add some self diagnosis in BMS software that detects bad cells/uncalibrated cells/unbalanced cells and show a dashboard warning light?

If something like that can be provided, the car owner can try remedial steps and if it does not resolve take it to ASS for further diagnosis, than suddenly getting stuck on road.

Last edited by mohan41 : 6th February 2023 at 10:55.
mohan41 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 11:11   #1055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babureddy View Post
Hello Everyone,
Need a bit advice from you all.
I am in the process of getting my Nexon EV Max XZ+.
When I went in for booking a vehicle, the Sales rep mentioned that there are 2022 models which have a company discount of 50k, which is not available for 2023 models.
He also mentioned that there is no change in either and every year end they get a bulk lot of vehicles allotted and its due to that they have a few cars available which can be allotted to me immediately.
If I need to go for 23 models, there is a waiting period of 1 month.

Need your views on how to proceed. I have already paid advance for a 22 model, but I can still change it.

Thank you.
There is no difference between the 22 & 23 models. Assuming you plan to keep it for 6-7 years at least, there is no problem going in for a 22 model.
pedrolourenco is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 19:39   #1056
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
It is better if Tata motors get more proactive about these issues.
Is it not feasible for them to add some self diagnosis in BMS software that detects bad cells/uncalibrated cells/unbalanced cells and show a dashboard warning light?

If something like that can be provided, the car owner can try remedial steps and if it does not resolve take it to ASS for further diagnosis, than suddenly getting stuck on road.
Once they gain enough knowledge on that I am sure they will do, right now, they are dependent on their supplier, who is across the border.
Old 19th February 2023, 19:11   #1057
BHPian

Is TATA insisting, users to charge their cars only when battery levels reach 10%?
My cousin, who owns a Nexon ev prime, was saying so!
Old 20th February 2023, 10:01   #1058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilntny View Post
Is TATA insisting, users to charge their cars only when battery levels reach 10%?
My cousin, who owns a Nexon ev prime, was saying so!
Not at all.
It is recommended to take the car to below 10% once in a month and slow charge it up to 100% which will calibrate the cells. This does not mean every time you need to take it to 10%. In fact I have been using my Max since December, and till now only thrice have I taken it below 10%.
Old 20th February 2023, 12:48   #1059
s10
BHPian

Strange thing happened last week with my Nexon EV prime. I charged overnight from 25% and got a notification on my app for 100% charge in the morning. When I started the car for office, to my surprise car was showing 65%. I immediately checked the charging graph in Zconnect app. It was showing an instant drop from 100 to 65. With plenty of doubts in my mind I started for office and was continuously checking the battery drop %age. It was absolutely normal.
Since my daily commute is 100 kms so I plugged in again in the night. In the m'ing I got the app notification for 100% charge, but another surprise
It was showing 70 % and fully charged in the off screen. But when I switched on the car it was 100% and after that the drive and %age drop was perfectly normal.

I called up my service center and they told me to bring it to them. But seriously they had no clue about anything in an EV. They just scanned with the laptop and cleared all the errors. In fact, their app was also hanging lot of time so finally they removed the -ve terminal for 10 mins and reconnected it back. I asked the service manager that all they have done is a hard reset.
He told me that this is routine before calling in the 3rd party for detailed battery checking. So if you see the problem again then come back
I guess Tata must have tie up with some 3rd party guys in case the problem is serious and do not have in-depth EV expertise in service centers.

So far I think looking at my problem and others in the forum, my take is that do a hard reset whenever you face any battery related issue. Then stick on to standard charging procedures, like others have mentioned. It is just battery recalibration by complete discharge and recharge.

Model - Nexon EV prime Lux+ Dec 2022 and mileage 3K till date
s10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 21:53   #1060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post

Anybody experienced something like this? Any idea what could be the problem? The car is an year old.
Yes, this has happened with me too. I was returning from Alibaug to Mumbai. I left Belapur with about 21% charge. Considering the battery is very efficient in the under 25% stage, I decided not to charge and do it at home, which was about 28km. I drove sedately, reached Chedda Nagar Signal at 11% charge. The driver's display was showing 11% and range of about 25km. My home was just 6km away. To my horror i lost 8% charge in the next 2km. Reached BKC Kalina Signal by then. Luckily there was a Tata Power Setup at Audi Service Centre in Kalina, which was hardly 800m from my current location. Again lost 2% in just 800m, mind you this is Limp mode I'm talking about where 1% should easily give 2.5km if not 3.
Barely managed to Plug in at 1%, didn't need to Tow, thankfully because i was in Mumbai's dense part. Had this happened somewhere outside, I would definitely have to get my car towed.

What was shocking was that the car charge went up from 1% to 10% in about 40 seconds of fast charging.
In case someone else has observed such a thing please comment.
StrykerEV05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 22:07   #1061
BHPian

If the Nexon EV's Trip watt hour consumption figure is correct, i must be the world's most efficient EV Driver.

Vehicle Details:
Nexon EV, purchased in December 2021. Run about 14.7k km in about 14 months.
Took the Regen modes upgrade sometime around August 2022.
Post that I haven't reset my Trip B.
Currently it shows 6235km covered at a whopping efficiency of 92Wh/km.

Usage:
The car is mostly used in Mumbai, usually in a lot of traffic. I believe the actual range i get is about 220km, considering that i charge around every 160-170km, at about 22-25% charge left.
The car doesn't have more than 2 occupants mostly.
AC is set on Eco Mode at 22°C throughout. I have almost never used the car without AC, max 10-15km out of the almost 15k km.

So what do you guys think? Is the trip meter wrong? Or am I really good at driving!

P.S. I've also used the sports mode for launches in the past few months, also done some really spirited driving on Eastern Expressway, Marine Drive.
Also recently completed a road trip of 1070km ( Mumbai - Pune- Panchgani - Mahabaleshwar - Shani Shignapur - Shirdi - Nashik - Mumbai)

Attaching a few screenshots to support my claim here, also irrespective of the efficiency I totally love my blue beauty! I still always look back at it after parking
Attached Thumbnails
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-img_20230220_121148569.jpg  

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-img_20230122_164758652.jpg  

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-img_20230119_160102102.jpg  

StrykerEV05 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 10:38   #1062
s10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerEV05 View Post
If the Nexon EV's Trip watt hour consumption figure is correct, i must be the world's most efficient EV Driver.

Vehicle Details:
Nexon EV, purchased in December 2021. Run about 14.7k km in about 14 months.

Usage:
The car is mostly used in Mumbai, usually in a lot of traffic. I believe the actual range i get is about 220km, considering that i charge around every 160-170km, at about 22-25% charge left.
The car doesn't have more than 2 occupants mostly.
AC is set on Eco Mode at 22°C throughout. I have almost never used the car without AC, max 10-15km out of the almost 15k km.

So what do you guys think? Is the trip meter wrong? Or am I really good at driving!
something is wrong here with 92WH, it must do a range of ~330 KM in single charge. 30000/92.. do that maths. Somehow I also feel that if you do not reset trip meter for long then it starts accumulating error. I think you should reset and see. Looks like you are getting overall range of 225 in a single charge which realistic means wh/km is 30000/225 ~134

Quote:
Yes, this has happened with me too. I was returning from Alibaug to Mumbai. I left Belapur with about 21% charge. Considering the battery is very efficient in the under 25% stage, I decided not to charge and do it at home, which was about 28km. I drove sedately, reached Chedda Nagar Signal at 11% charge. The driver's display was showing 11% and range of about 25km. My home was just 6km away. To my horror i lost 8% charge in the next 2km. Reached BKC Kalina Signal by then. Luckily there was a Tata Power Setup at Audi Service Centre in Kalina, which was hardly 800m from my current location. Again lost 2% in just 800m, mind you this is Limp mode I'm talking about where 1% should easily give 2.5km if not 3.
Barely managed to Plug in at 1%, didn't need to Tow, thankfully because i was in Mumbai's dense part. Had this happened somewhere outside, I would definitely have to get my car towed.

What was shocking was that the car charge went up from 1% to 10% in about 40 seconds of fast charging.
In case someone else has observed such a thing please comment.
This is a classic case of cell not being balanced. Do you charge frequently at fast chargers? Discharge it to below 10% and then do a slow complete recharge upto 100%. If that doesn’t work then reset the parameters as I mentioned in my post earlier. Hopefully that should resolve your issue

Last edited by s10 : 22nd February 2023 at 10:46. Reason: including another post also in my reply
Old 22nd February 2023, 15:13   #1063
BHPian

Quote:

I am getting 65 to 67 Wh/KM as per my trip meter. I should be getting 400 + kms range in my XM Prime. I ignore that and follow my charge pattern without paying much attention.
Old 8th March 2023, 07:51   #1064

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
Happy to see you here , expecting more long term reviews and travelogues on your NexonEV , meanwhile what's your current odo ?
sorry for the late answer...
Old 8th March 2023, 16:53   #1065

Fellow Nexon EV owners
Has anyone yet renewed their ZConnect app subscription. My free subscription has expired and the renewal plan seems to be quite expense. Also wondering if there has been any attempt made yet to reach out to Tata Motors to check if they can reduce the subscription fees.
Thanks in advance

Most Viewed