Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2023, 10:00   #1111
BHPian

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceguy101 View Post
This is a case of how my relationship with my Tata Nexon EV turned sour.
By range do you mean the range shown in the "expected distance to charge" or is it the actual range you are getting. For example after my last full charge my Nexon EV max the range shown was 277 km at 100%SOC. I have driven about 140 kms already (Office commute), have 58%SOC left and the range that is now being show is 190 Kms. I have been consistently getting about 50 Kms on 15 %SOC for my office-home commute daily.

So instead of relying solely on the range shown, do the calculation using the mileage vs battery capacity. For example, with the Nexon Max (i.e. 40kwh battery) a mileage of 120 Wh/km should give you approximately 333 Kms of range (100-0 SOC) where as on an Nexon Prime (30 Kwh battery) it should give you 250 kms. To check if there is no battery issues, do an actual drive and see what your mileage was for the trip and see if the expected drop in SoC is as expected (It is better to do the calculation over a round trip to nullify the effect of change in gradient).

Driving tips: Sedate driving helps but just driving slowly is not the point. If you frequently speed up and then decelerate there is not much point. Maintaining constant speed is what makes the biggest difference. Other factors include outside temperature (thus AC), high range driving (if it is only climb)

Without too much of an effort one can easily get 120 Wh/km mileage on Nexon Max with AC at 25 and 2 people. On highways I routinely get 110 Wh/km at about 70-80 km/h (4 persons). And on freak instances I have even got an impressive 314 Kms (round trip so no effect of incline) on about 83%SoC drop (100-17%SOC)(the reasons were first half was done in early morning so no AC was used).

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 31st May 2023 at 10:01. Reason: Quote content trimmed
electric_eel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 12:03   #1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post

So instead of relying solely on the range shown, do the calculation using the mileage vs battery capacity.
With all due respect, I never mentioned I rely on the displayed range. That is as unreliable as any estimation could be. I reset my trip metre at 100% change and compare the KMs covered vs battery consumed.

And I do know that sedate =/= frugal, but I was hoping the term being colloquially used will convey what I mean. I drive the car at a constant speed with minimum acceleration and deceleration. However, I've never ever seen the avg. consumption go below 180 W/km within the city, and that was before the problem started. The Tata technician who drove the car yesterday tried to show us the best way to drive the car in order to extract the best range. Even he couldn't manage less than 240 W/km. So I'm convinced that there is a serious problem with my car, which is what I've been trying to say all this while.
iceguy101 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 12:37   #1113
BHPian

Quote:

However, I've never ever seen the avg. consumption go below 180 W/km within the city, and that was before the problem started. The Tata technician who drove the car yesterday tried to show us the best way to drive the car in order to extract the best range. Even he couldn't manage less than 240 W/km. So I'm convinced that there is a serious problem with my car, which is what I've been trying to say all this while.
With 180 W/km you will only be getting 166 Kms of range and with 240 W/km only 125.
In my case at 100%SOC it starts with a large value of Mileage (I have seen 300 plus).
This is because of the lack of regen at 100%SOC and the first stretch of road being bad road (you can say no road). But soon it stabilises to 130 and for the 50Km office home run it is about 120 overall (higher in the home-office section lower on the office-home section most likely due to ghost climbs).

If the mileage is not coming down after a long enough run then the only explanation is some serious mechanical issue.
Old 31st May 2023, 20:46   #1114
BHPian

Quote:
So I'm convinced that there is a serious problem with my car, which is what I've been trying to say all this while.
What level of regen are you running? Which drive mode do you use? What is the AC temp set? Is AC set at auto or manual blower?
Also can you share the speed graph of one of your office runs and zconnect stats like top speed, average distance, regen efficiency etc of that run.
Old 1st June 2023, 14:38   #1115

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
What level of regen are you running? Which drive mode do you use? What is the AC temp set? Is AC set at auto or manual blower?
Also can you share the speed graph of one of your office runs and zconnect stats like top speed, average distance, regen efficiency etc of that run.
Regen is always set at level 3, the highest level.
I mostly use drive (city) mode and stay within the eco power band. If I ever feel like doing a speed run in sports mode, I reset the trip meter afterwards because I know the consumption will be highly inflated due to 5 mins of speeding.

AC is either set on auto, or switched off completely. I actually prefer driving with the window down instead of using the AC.

As for zconnect stats, apologies as I'm unable to share those. My free membership has expired and I don't find value in paying 3500/year since I barely used it for the first year.

I'm not saying my driving style is perfect or ideal, but I do understand being an EV the car needs to be driven and operated in a certain manner, and I do my best to operate within that framework.
Old 2nd June 2023, 11:00   #1116
BHPian

A few months back, I had reported here that our Nexon EV's main battery failed, and it had to be replaced.

That time the replacement process did not take much time, it was done within one week, if I recall correctly.

Unfortunately, within 6 months of that incident, yet another time battery failed. It stopped in the middle of the highway with some 'limited performance mode' or some such error.

We took it to the dealer and after a day of diagnostics, they said the battery need to be replaced.

But this time the problem is, the car is at the service center for 4 weeks now, and it is not clear when it will be back.

I have tried all possible ways to get information in the last few weeks, but did not get any accurate information - it is always like - "The battery is sent from tata motors, it has not reached here", or "they are changing the battery plant, hence there is some delay" or "will call back in 15mins"...etc

I went and talked to the CRM and service-in-charge etc athe SC, but there also, they just reassure that we will get the car within another "two days", and it has been a week.

Anyways, the summary is that - it appears to me that Tata Motors does not yet have the service infrastructure - supply chain, process, communication process etc - to support the volume of EVs they are selling. The reliability is also questionable.

I wonder if ours is a one-of incident, or are there many owners experiencing battery problems like this.
GS300 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 16:05   #1117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS300 View Post

But this time the problem is, the car is at the service center for 4 weeks now, and it is not clear when it will be back.
If the car is in service center for warranty replacement, you should ask the service center for a loaner car or ask them to reimburse cab bills

To your questions about battery issues, there was another bhpian who posted on his ownership thread for about battery replacement. The process for him was very smooth.
ferrarirules is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 12:56   #1118

Quote:
However, I've never ever seen the avg. consumption go below 180 W/km within the city, and that was before the problem started.
If it helps, I too drive in Mumbai, and my office is hardly 3 kms from my home. But the road is average, too much traffic, and far too many speed breakers. Given all that I hardly go below 200 W/km. But on weekends or nights, when we go for long-ish drives, we usually get somewhere around 120-130 W/km. Which tells me that the battery is fine, its just the driving conditions which cause a havoc. But maybe you've already driven on highways (Western Expressway doesnt count ) and still see similar results.
Old 14th June 2023, 18:09   #1119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS300 View Post

Unfortunately, within 6 months of that incident, yet another time battery failed. It stopped in the middle of the highway with some 'limited performance mode' or some such error.

I wonder if ours is a one-of incident, or are there many owners experiencing battery problems like this.
My friend is going through similar state now
Worse part is, although its pretty evident that its due to battery issue (Since we have gone through the entire cycle once), dealer is prepared to make us go through this time consuming process again.

Any potential lead or contact that is available within Tata instead of going through the not so competent dealership folks?
Old 14th June 2023, 20:10   #1120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Any potential lead or contact that is available within Tata instead of going through the not so competent dealership folks?
Unfortunately, I failed at finding any other way to contact them. I tried reporting the problem through their twitter handle. Once or twice they replied "We will look into this". But after a couple of days, they simply ignored my messages.

Then I tried calling Tata's customer care number. They listened to my issue, and then they said "please be on the call, let me connect you to the management of the dealer" - so basically, routing it back to the dealer. I talked to the GM of the dealership who said "let me call you back in 15 mins" - as you can guess, never heard from him after that.

So - all my attempts were met with failure.

Latest update is that, after a month of being at the SC, I got my car back a week back, after battery replacement.
GS300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 12:00   #1121
Senior - BHPian

Alright, so the inevitable happened! Just as I was starting to thank my lucky stars for not having faced the dreaded "sudden drop in SOC" issue even after 15,000 km on the odo of my 14-month-old Nexon EV Prime - especially after having heard of numerous such instances on this thread as well as our Nexon EV WhatsApp group - I have faced this issue twice over the last 10 days. The battery behaves perfectly from 100% till ~30% SOC but post that it drops at a pace faster than Indian cricket team losing wickets in a crucial match The regular SOC drop is 1% for every ~2 km and post 30% SOC it drops at 1% for every few hundred meters! Latest drop was 28% within just 9 km - this almost left me stranded.

I have been following all the so-called best practices of letting the SOC drop to sub-20% levels quite often, overnight slow charging to 100%, etc. but to no avail. Being a strong proponent of EVs for multiple reasons, this incident has left me with a sour taste. I understand that Tata Motors procures these HV batteries from an external vendor but as an end-customer, my expectations on getting a reliable and fuss-free car from Tata Motors is completely justified and it is up to Tata Motors to ensure stringent QC on all their third-party supplied components.

Have dropped the car with TASC and awaiting their "analysis". Let's see how it goes - fingers crossed.
cool_dube is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 19:11   #1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco_boost View Post
I got the Nexon EV home after testing as many as 14 different cars!
One of the most pragmatic reviews I have come across recently. Kudos . Wish you happy green miles ahead!

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd June 2023 at 23:03. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
DBS65 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 18:57   #1123

Since a lot of people have replaced their batteries under warranty, what is their experience? Are they facing same / similar problems again or any other problems?
Old 13th July 2023, 10:01   #1124
BHPian

What's the point of driving an EV if you have to worry about an 'n' number of things for the vehicle to deliver what it's supposed to? Even as a second car, i wouldn't recommend anyone because the products have teething issues and the infrastructure simply doesn't exist to support peace of mind driving an EV.

Rather than acknowledging that the car does have an issue as user iceguy101 shared, people start questioning all sorts of things or sharing their own excerpts. I'm sure the different service centre folks and the Tata experts who visited OP's home would've asked each and every question.

On the forum itself, i can recall that atleast 2 people have had their Nexon's battery pack replaced under warranty.

I sincerely hope that Tata resolves the issues in OP's car.
Doonite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 11:00   #1125
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
However, I've never ever seen the avg. consumption go below 180 W/km within the city, and that was before the problem started. The Tata technician who drove the car yesterday tried to show us the best way to drive the car in order to extract the best range. Even he couldn't manage less than 240 W/km. So I'm convinced that there is a serious problem with my car, which is what I've been trying to say all this while.
Sir, Nexon owners I have seen average 120-130whkm normally, for you average 180whkm is just mental for sedate driving, 240whkm shows a serious issue (4.16km per KW is very very inefficient) even driving constantly on sports mode should not yield such high values. Please escalate to TATA motors. Seem like a battery or BMS issue to me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks