Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2021, 12:37   #526
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jattitude View Post
Any source for this? Haven't read about such a rollback anywhere. In fact, Tata Motors dealer has told me that increased subsidy will stand once the GR is available, but they aren't sure if there will be a conditional price fixation for this, i.e. 15 lakhs or other. Aditya Thackeray revealed the draft policy, I doubt if his own father will rollback the draft proposed by him, considering he's the heir apparent.
Here is the concerned GR.

As i understand this doesn't mention any 15L cap on the Basic vehicle price. But the dealer says that XZ+ Lux is not eligible for incentive.

So that takes the price difference between XZ+ and XZ+Lux to 3.5 Lacs.

Tata Motors needs to do something about this!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf E V Policy 2021(1).pdf (2.24 MB, 364 views)
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 13:27   #527
BHPian

Saw the GR on the day it came out. Dealer in Nagpur is yet to share any details regarding discounts. Do you have any written final prices (post subsidy) from the dealer? I'm as it is aiming for XZ+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Here is the concerned GR.

As i understand this doesn't mention any 15L cap on the Basic vehicle price. But the dealer says that XZ+ Lux is not eligible for incentive.

So that takes the price difference between XZ+ and XZ+Lux to 3.5 Lacs.

Tata Motors needs to do something about this!
Old 6th August 2021, 20:05   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEGION_FIVE View Post
The engineer who developed the EV Travel Charging Kit has just announced his Cruise Control mod for Nexon EVs.
Follow up to this post, here is an update from NEAT members showcasing what the early version looks like. From the looks of it, it's a plug and play system (can be installed by self) with a proper gear selector knob (like the one we're used to for changing drive modes) and two buttons. The installation unit seems to be modular and can be installed either near the gear selector, on the steering itself or on the console tray. Since it's still a work in progress, the final product may differ from the one showcased here. In any case, I'm really excited about this!

Last edited by Aditya : 16th August 2021 at 20:49. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Old 16th August 2021, 16:08   #529
BHPian

Hi,

I am a typical metro city guy living in apartments with no fixed parking in compound (comparatively old societies in South Mumbai) and I stay on 10th Floor.

What do the EV owner guys recommend for charging? Do you completely depend on community charging stations (which typically have fast charging) or is there a way to create some "jugaad" (with a long extension dropped from my 10th floor Home and charging? Sounds really stupid though IMHO )

I am in the market to buy a new car (EV/ ICE (new/pre-worshipped)) in next 7-8 months and hence such queries.
Old 17th August 2021, 12:23   #530
BANNED

Don't you have an electric meter board at the basement? just request who ever has parking facility near your meter that you might "borrow" it once in a while for charging.
I stay in a rented house, I didn't get the "charger" setup from tata power (which is basically a 16A socket). I rely on BESCOM fast charger, which is 2km away from where I stay, I charge to 95% and drive around. Once in a while, I plug an extension cord from within my house and charge the car for the remaining 5 or 10% so that cells gets balanced.
DarthVeda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 05:58   #531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulk2510 View Post
Hi,

I am a typical metro city guy living in apartments with no fixed parking in compound (comparatively old societies in South Mumbai) and I stay on 10th Floor.

What do the EV owner guys recommend for charging? Do you completely depend on community charging stations (which typically have fast charging) or is there a way to create some "jugaad" (with a long extension dropped from my 10th floor Home and charging? Sounds really stupid though IMHO )

I am in the market to buy a new car (EV/ ICE (new/pre-worshipped)) in next 7-8 months and hence such queries.
Even if you do not have a parking close to your house, thats perfectly fine. Before installation, TATA guys will come and survey the proposed place for installation of the charger, which is generally your standard parking. A specific length of cable comes as part of the free installation, but anything more is on payment basis. They will take a connection from your electricity meter and install the charging point in your parking itself.
Old 18th August 2021, 13:45   #532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
Don't you have an electric meter board at the basement? just request who ever has parking facility near your meter that you might "borrow" it once in a while for charging.
I stay in a rented house, I didn't get the "charger" setup from tata power (which is basically a 16A socket). I rely on BESCOM fast charger, which is 2km away from where I stay, I charge to 95% and drive around. Once in a while, I plug an extension cord from within my house and charge the car for the remaining 5 or 10% so that cells gets balanced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosjam View Post
Even if you do not have a parking close to your house, thats perfectly fine. Before installation, TATA guys will come and survey the proposed place for installation of the charger, which is generally your standard parking. A specific length of cable comes as part of the free installation, but anything more is on payment basis. They will take a connection from your electricity meter and install the charging point in your parking itself.
Seems I couldnt make my point clear. The parking area is an open area where anyone can park anywhere as per availability, consider it as if its parking on public roads. This is a very normal thing in many old housing societies who dont have basement or designated parking area. In such cases i dont think tata guys will be able to install the charger. And though taking an extension cable from 10th floor to ground floor, may sound really stupid and embarrassing, will have its own technical problems.

Hence my query is if its ok to be completely dependent on community chargers (fast chargers or not)? What would be the effect on the batteries, if any, because of using fast charging? (considering majority of our high end mobile phones are now using only fast charging)

Last edited by rahulk2510 : 18th August 2021 at 13:53. Reason: Further clarifying my point
Old 18th August 2021, 14:09   #533
BHPian

No you can't simply rely on fast or community chargers as of yet. Tata or India in general is not quite on the level of Tesla's super charger network as seen overseas where people in apartments rely solely on external chargers. For the batteries health with the vehicles currently availble in India it is recommended you do a slow charge after every 3-4 fast charges.

Your best option in that case rather than hanging a long wire from the 10th floor window would be to get a slow charger installed near your meter room and then keep a 25m cable spool in the car and run the cable to your car depending on where you get parking that day or perhaps delay switching to an EV till a better charging solution is in place.

Quote:
Seems I couldnt make my point clear. The parking area is an open area where anyone can park anywhere as per availability, consider it as if its parking on public roads. This is a very normal thing in many old housing societies who dont have basement or designated parking area. In such cases i dont think tata guys will be able to install the charger. And though taking an extension cable from 10th floor to ground floor, may sound really stupid and embarrassing, will have its own technical problems.

Hence my query is if its ok to be completely dependent on community chargers (fast chargers or not)? What would be the effect on the batteries, if any, because of using fast charging? (considering majority of our high end mobile phones are now using only fast charging)
zandot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 11:15   #534
BHPian

Quote:

No you cannot use the fast chargers all the time as they charge using DC current. Currently EV manufacturers recommend somewhere around 5:1 AC: DC charging. Meaning, You will need to use AC charging 5 times if yo use DC charging once. This is to ensure Longevity of Battery life. By using DC charging all the time, battery degrades faster and you will lose range within a few years.

You do not have to run a wire from your 10th floor.

The best options for you would be to

1) Run the Wire from you Electricity Meter(Assuming its at the ground floor) and fix a 15A Socket on a wall somewhere near to your usual parking area. If you are to park elsewhere, then run an extension socket from this 15A socket to your car. You can keep the extension socket in the boot of the car.

2) If possible, try to get a fixed parking space for your car.

3) If possible install a charger at your workplace.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th August 2021 at 22:41. Reason: typo.
docelectric2020 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 20:33   #535
BHPian

Quote:

Yes. It is quite possible in urban areas like Bombay. There are dozens of chargers all around Bombay, Navi Mumbai etc. You can charge once a week at your convenience if you are ok with waiting around 1 to 2 hours at the charger. Many of these are near restaurants, malls and other businesses areas so you can go eat something or take a walk. Manufacturers do recommend a slow charge after every 4 or 5 fast ones. So once or twice a month, locate a place like a mall that provides slow charging. Either hang out there or take some transport to work or home and then pick up the car in the evening. Many malls provide free charging in Delhi NCR and it might be the same in Bombay. Otherwise find a friend or relative you can visit once a month where you can charge. So despite people's vehement opposition, it is quite possible.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 21:24   #536
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docelectric2020 View Post
If you are to park elsewhere, then run an extension socket from this 15A socket to your car. You can keep the extension socket in the boot of the car..
Good points, and practical setup.

One additional point for OP:
You would need to set up a box to lock access to this socket. Other people using it for charging will be visible. But smaller usage may happen - and all this would be on you. More than the additional billing to you, it's the safety aspect that overloads be prevented - and thus any damage to your appliances in your house.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 12:20   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Good points, and practical setup.

One additional point for OP:
You would need to set up a box to lock access to this socket. Other people using it for charging will be visible. But smaller usage may happen - and all this would be on you. More than the additional billing to you, it's the safety aspect that overloads be prevented - and thus any damage to your appliances in your house.
Agree.
There are boxes available with lock and key setup.
Alternatively, we can use a Smart Plug/Smart switch or a Smart wall socket.
docelectric2020 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 19:21   #538
Senior - BHPian

Over 400 Tata Nexon EV deliveries held up in Maharashtra.

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-20210824030817_tata-nexon-ev.jpg

Delays in the Maharashtra EV policy’s implementation has led to a pause in deliveries for some Nexon EV variants.

Select Nexon EV variants qualify for subsidy of up to Rs 2.5 lakh.

Quote:
According to dealers, a few variants of the Nexon EV – like the XM, XZ+ (White, Teal Blue and Silver shades) – qualify for the newly introduced Maharashtra electric vehicle subsidy. Deliveries of these variants are currently on hold as the manufacturer is not able to pass on the subsidy benefits to the customer.
Source
Old 25th August 2021, 08:54   #539
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Delays in the Maharashtra EV policy’s implementation has led to a pause in deliveries for some Nexon EV variants.

The Nexon base variants seem to be priced right below 15L with the maximum battery size to avail of the full 2.5L subsidy/discount. Are there any other launches expected from other brands before December ?

I have been pondering over replacing our run around car- 2009 Altis with an EV but not too keen on Tata. Budget is not really a constraints and can be increased above 15L but I care too much about value to forgo the full subsidy

So is nexon and upcoming Tigor my only upcoming option? I am not in a rush but if the deadline is going to be strict at Dec 31st then I will need to take the plunge before.

Last edited by Sahil : 25th August 2021 at 08:58.
Old 25th August 2021, 09:21   #540
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Over 400 Tata Nexon EV deliveries held up in Maharashtra.

Classic Indian governance. The scheme itself is time bound (and a short one for the maximum benefit) but implementation not yet in place of the announced policy leading to a vacuum. For the incredible efficiency with which our administrators engage in malpractice and corruption, if even a fraction of it could be deployed towards productive activities, we’d be so much better off.

Most Viewed