Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2021, 19:12   #586
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
Please can you let me know your thoughts?
Hey Karthik, how have you been?! Been a while, I think when we still had the Getz CRDi...

The Nexon EV will be perfect for you - a friend of mine in Hyderabad got one of the first Nexon EVs, and I've driven it extensively too. While he's been adventurous enough to do Hyd to Vizag (~ 700 KM) and back, I'll say this is a very good city car, and an apt replacement for the Getz CRDi in terms of mad power.

Unless you're belting it out, (ab)using Sports mode often, you'll never get lower than 200KM with 15% charge remaining. In fact, my friend maintains 20% to 80% charge limits for maximizing battery life, and still gets almost 150 KM in those 60% worth of charge within the city. He charges once a week, considering approx 30 KM per day usage, and has gotten over range anxiety much better!

Last edited by ph03n!x : 18th September 2021 at 19:20.
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 09:24   #587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
I think you are the perfect candidate for a Nexon EV. I would suggest even Tigor EV, which saves you a bit of money and should inherently bit more efficient than Nexon, due to it's sedan design (less frontal area = reduced air drag).

IMO, you should be good with either new TigorEV or NexonEV. And of course, as you wanted, they both are quick compared to their ICE counterparts. The added benefits are silent powertrain helps you relax during your drive. Let us know what you choose!

Cheers,
Karthik
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Hey Karthik, how have you been?! Been a while, I think when we still had the Getz CRDi...

The Nexon EV will be perfect for you - a friend of mine in Hyderabad got one of the first Nexon EVs, and I've driven it extensively too. While he's been adventurous enough to do Hyd to Vizag (~ 700 KM) and back, I'll say this is a very good city car, and an apt replacement for the Getz CRDi in terms of mad power.

Unless you're belting it out, (ab)using Sports mode often, you'll never get lower than 200KM with 15% charge remaining. In fact, my friend maintains 20% to 80% charge limits for maximizing battery life, and still gets almost 150 KM in those 60% worth of charge within the city. He charges once a week, considering approx 30 KM per day usage, and has gotten over range anxiety much better!
Thank you both for your replies. You've given me a lot more confidence now. I've booked a test drive and will keep this thread updated on my findings.

@carthick1000 My workplace has a power backup so power cuts will not be an issue. I think I'd prefer the Nexon to the Tigor because of the higher power available.

Thanks for the Gets CRDi comparison @ph03n!x. I can't wait to drive the Nexon EV now.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 10:47   #588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
Thanks for the Gets CRDi comparison @ph03n!x. I can't wait to drive the Nexon EV now.
I missed adding in my earlier post - the Nexon EV will charge to 70% to 80% in 4 hours (up from 10%), so you're good for the drive back comfortably.

Do the Sports mode TD in a nice open road with less traffic. And watch out for the torque steer
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 19:03   #589
BHPian

Nexon EV has battery & motor warranty of 8 years, thereafter the battery will get weak and performance will diminish likewise...was trying to know what will be the cost of replacing the battery pack...anyone any idea.
Old 21st September 2021, 00:52   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SulemanP View Post
Nexon EV has battery & motor warranty of 8 years, thereafter the battery will get weak and performance will diminish likewise...was trying to know what will be the cost of replacing the battery pack...anyone any idea.
There are no concrete details on that as of yet. But as per industry standards of $150/kWh (taking conservative side, in reality LFP batteries are about $120/kWh), it should come to ₹3.5L in today’s world.

Add another ₹50K at least, for misc labour etc. ₹4L will be a good guess, however, bear in mind, battery prices are falling faster than ever. A decade ago, it was $1100/kWh. Today, it’s about 1/10th of that.

By the time you actually need to replace packs, prices will have fallen to ₹2.5L or so (before labour) in worst case and even lower in best case.
Shresth_EV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 23:09   #591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I missed adding in my earlier post - the Nexon EV will charge to 70% to 80% in 4 hours (up from 10%), so you're good for the drive back comfortably.
I have been using my Nexon for the past 1+ years and figures quoted is way off. There is no way you could charge from 10% to 80% in 4 hours. If you have steady voltage at home, you will get 10-11% charge per hour. If the voltage is below 220V, expect 7-9% charge per hour. 10%-100% takes more than 9 hours during day time when my solar panels are generating good voltages to supplement the grid.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shresth_EV View Post
There are no concrete details on that as of yet. But as per industry standards of $150/kWh (taking conservative side, in reality LFP batteries are about $120/kWh), it should come to ₹3.5L in today’s world.
By the time you actually need to replace packs, prices will have fallen to ₹2.5L or so (before labour) in worst case and even lower in best case.
The quote I received from Mahindra last week for my E2O battery pack replacement was 4.3L for 10KWh LFP pack. Even I am wondering how much Tata would quote for the 30KWh battery since the battery chemistry is same. Only the battery packaging is different where E2O uses the prismatic cells while Nexon uses cylindrical cells.
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-save_20210919_205511.jpg

Last edited by Holyghost : 21st September 2021 at 23:13.
Holyghost is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 08:57   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
The quote I received from Mahindra last week for my E2O battery pack replacement was 4.3L for 10KWh LFP pack. Even I am wondering how much Tata would quote for the 30KWh battery since the battery chemistry is same. Only the battery packaging is different where E2O uses the prismatic cells while Nexon uses cylindrical cells.
Attachment 2210094
I watched Nat Geo Evolve to Electric documentry. In that Tata clearly says battery pack consists of multiple smaller modules of battery. So I believe BMS will identify the weakest cell in the module which needs the replacement. You can replace that individual cells or module depending on the situation. IMHO no need to replace entire 30kw battery pack at a time.
K_Drive is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 10:35   #593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Drive View Post
I watched Nat Geo Evolve to Electric documentry. In that Tata clearly says battery pack consists of multiple smaller modules of battery. So I believe BMS will identify the weakest cell in the module which needs the replacement. You can replace that individual cells or module depending on the situation. IMHO no need to replace entire 30kw battery pack at a time.
Thanks in that case the owner is saved from huge expense on the entire battery pack and is also a viable option. The vehicle resale value will not depreciate much because of this..
Old 22nd September 2021, 12:50   #594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
I have been using my Nexon for the past 1+ years and figures quoted is way off. There is no way you could charge from 10% to 80% in 4 hours. If you have steady voltage at home, you will get 10-11% charge per hour. If the voltage is below 220V, expect 7-9% charge per hour. 10%-100% takes more than 9 hours during day time when my solar panels are generating good voltages to supplement the grid.
You're right, I stand corrected. In four hours, the charge increment is between 45% to 50%. Considering that my friend maintains battery between 20% to 80%, he gets anywhere from 65% (starts charging at 20%) to 80%.

For @Chrome6boy's use-case, this is still comfortably 120 KM worth of charge.
Old 23rd September 2021, 20:57   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks in that case the owner is saved from huge expense on the entire battery pack and is also a viable option. The vehicle resale value will not depreciate much because of this..
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Drive View Post
I don't believe that's possible especially at dealership level. Tata will never allow any tampering with the battery pack, first of all its not safe and secondly you have no guarantee that battery pack will be sealed properly to weather the road conditions and maintain its IP67 certification.
It will be a big hazard and can leave customers stranded. The cells inside are highly recyclable and what Tata will do is take your old battery at a certain cost and replace it with a new one. So you just pay the difference. Somewhat like how your regular 12V batteries are traded in when people buy a new one.
officer416 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 14:59   #596
BHPian

Recently I received my #Dark merchandise from Tata. From what I was told it was shipped from Pune. Now some merchandise is available in dealerships as well. But when I went there to check them, my sales advisor and other managers there agreed that the quality is very different. The ones in store don't seem of that high quality. Nonetheless, it seems good collector stuff and I have no plans to wear it. Just keeping it for good memories.

Anyone who gets a Harrier Dark Edition will receive the same T-shirts but the bomber jacket will be in leather. Also you have to fill in a form and send it via email for them to process it. Have to make sure all the details are exactly the same as in dealership's system or your request will go on hold and then it includes some back and forth with the Tata team.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-img_5310-sharpen.jpg  

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-img20210907141232.jpg  

officer416 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 12:33   #597

Quote:
Originally Posted by officer416 View Post
Recently I received my #Dark merchandise from Tata. From what I was told it was shipped from Pune.
The merchandise and car looks great!

If you dont mind, where did you purchase your car? Was it maharashtra or another state? if maharashtra, then did you receive the subsidy?
Old 5th October 2021, 16:49   #598
BHPian

Hello friends,
Iam inclined to book Nexon EV dark edition XZ+ model for my son's daily commute of 80-90 km. The car is going to be used only for city driving and we have other cars in the family to manage the outstation trips so the range should not be an issue.
Any views on this especially EV owners will be very helpful.
Thanks..
uneet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 17:02   #599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uneet View Post
Hello friends,
I am inclined to book Nexon EV dark edition XZ+ model for my son's daily commute of 80-90 km. The car is going to be used only for city driving and we have other cars in the family to manage the outstation trips so the range should not be an issue.
Any views on this especially EV owners will be very helpful.
Thanks..
For your usage the Nexon EV would be a great choice. You would be surprised that once you get used to the ride of an EV others will disappoint you. Drove my friends Honda city and i20 recently. I could not get the car to accelerate to what I am now become used to.

My home has a 5kw on grid solar set up already so my expenses for driving the Nexon EV is zero! I have started taking the Nexon EV out more than my scooter. Almost 8 months in so far and I have had no concerns or problems. There are Nexon EV whatsapp/telegram groups that are very active and provide very appropriate support should you need it.

There are some threads for Nexon EV having issues. Do not get discouraged by them. Keep in mind that there is next to no car model on the road where there has not been a case where a customer has had issues with the vehicle. Even the almighty Toyota fortuner has owners who have run into issues. I wish you the best of luck for your purchase!

Happy to answer if you have any specific questions.
fuzzydealhunter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 12:35   #600
BHPian

Slightly OT : Did anyone notice presence of cruise control in 360 degree view of Nexon EV interior at - https://nexonev.tatamotors.com/

Name:  NexonEV.png
Views: 1356
Size:  539.0 KB

Hope this becomes a reality !
prasanna_indaje is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks