Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2021, 11:38   #646
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
No offence but what I find surprising is that we Indians believe that Tata or any other such corporation acts out of a sense of patriotism whereas these corporations only have one thing in their mind and that is profits.
What's wrong with it as long as the product suits the customer, even people in developed countries do the same. I personally avoid chinese and prefer Tata for patriotism reasons.

Quote:
Is this R&D about inventing and innovating new technologies or is this R&D about copying products and manufacturing practices of foreign companies?
Also should the general public believe these presentations which are obviously a tool to sell dreams to investors?
Most likely not about new battery chemistries, but starting a production line for the batteries. Tata uses Lithium iron batteries, even Tesla uses similar batteries, if the R&D can help to start production line that's a win, no point in spending on new chemistry when the Chinese are stealing R&D across the world and their EVs are coming faster to market.
SKC-auto is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 12:10   #647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
What's wrong with it as long as the product suits the customer, even people in developed countries do the same. I personally avoid chinese and prefer Tata for patriotism reasons.
Whats wrong is the deception & trickery on the part of Indian companies to hide behind the sheath of 'patriotism' but meanwhile themselves actually selling 'imported' stuff. In effect what these companies are doing is to eliminate either the small importers/small companies or to act as a middleman for foreign companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
Most likely not about new battery chemistries, but starting a production line for the batteries. Tata uses Lithium iron batteries, even Tesla uses similar batteries, if the R&D can help to start production line that's a win, no point in spending on new chemistry when the Chinese are stealing R&D across the world and their EVs are coming faster to market.
Your comment already concedes that Tata is not in the game to innovate anything new but to take screwdriver technology to another level.
You talk about new battery chemistry as if that is the end game for automobile propulsion systems. Rest assured while you are conceding defeat in these battery technologies to 'China' or any other country , Innovators/Innovative companies may already be trying to develop some new technology in automotive sector which may make electric cars as ancient. Then Tata will collaborate with these innovators to sell us their stuff.
Tatas/Birlas has been around for 100 years. Reliance for 50 years. Same for other 'respectable' Indian corporates. But still they always need protectionist policies in every sector. Every Tata company has a foreign partner. Why? So Tata can buy from foreign partners/suppliers and so on and sell to Indian consumers but Indian consumers can't buy directly from these suppliers?

This thread is to discuss Nexon EV and I only responded to some other comments. I would like to stop here and maybe pursue this discussion on someother suitable thread.
neeraj0272 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 21:45   #648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
I have a query to owners here. I know that TATA provides 8 years warranty on battery and electric motor on the Nexon EV. But what are the terms and conditions of it ? What is the minimum battery capacity below which the warranty will kick in. Even after extensive search in the net, I couldn't access such a document from TATA. Does the owner's manual lay down the conditions for the battery and motor warranty. If so, can anyone share the digital copy of the document here please. Thank you.
The 8 year warranty is on the battery only, not on the motor. Tata has not specified the threshold or criteria for minimal acceptable battery SOH (state of health). We can assume it would be around 70% as most other companies follow that standard.
Old 22nd November 2021, 22:25   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaak View Post
Tata is investing heavily in localisation and R&D and they hope to achieve self reliance in a few years. Their presentation during latest fund raising of about $2 billion mentions their plans for localisation. Have a look at slide number 18 in their investor presentation. The entire presentation is a good read and obviously confidence inspiring.
Thank you Ohaak for sharing this presentation, it is indeed a very good read and inspiring one.
The slide no. 18 is a special interest one, hope to see in their future presentations dawn of Indian marquee.
ASP_73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 22:50   #650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
The 8 year warranty is on the battery only, not on the motor. Tata has not specified the threshold or criteria for minimal acceptable battery SOH (state of health). We can assume it would be around 70% as most other companies follow that standard.
Ok. However the Nexon site says motor is covered.

But isn't it worrisome that thousands of Nexon EVs have been sold without a clear terms of warranty. I know we hardly read the terms and conditions before accepting them, but atleast isn't it a legal obligation to publish it ? And not only Nexon, but i realised i couldn't get a written document stating the minimum acceptable battery capacity below which warranty kicks in from any EVs available in the country today. This opaqueness makes me really weary of an EV in India right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-tatanexonevindiasownelectriccompactsuvpoweredbyziptron.jpeg  

drpudhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 17:54   #651
BHPian

Nexon EV Moonlit Silver colour option discontinued from the lineup.

Source: https://www.carwale.com/news/tata-ne...-colour-rejig/
Old 25th November 2021, 21:22   #652
BHPian

From What, what i know from Sources: EV Components like battery pack, Electric Axle Drive(Motor) + Controller Combo is sourced from Cheap China Source as kit.
Infact, probably batteries are cheapest older gen Vehicle batteries produced out of China, not the latest ones which have higher density, power pack values and reliable SOC.
So essentially what TATA has done is only Vehicle integration of these kits and small calibration or Tuning to modify as per drivability requirements.

So, this is primary reason why Tata Nexon EV are primarily affordable and most of the users are reporting unreliable SOC and ranges.

There is no way, TATA EV can be compared to Kona EV, in terms of Maturity. Dont know about MG Series.

Sorry to break the news, this is fact. Personally any day i don't want to buy some older discarded piece of technology which is unreliable and nobody uses it anymore.
navrddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 22:48   #653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navrddy View Post
From What, what i know from Sources: EV Components like battery pack, Electric Axle Drive(Motor) + Controller Combo is sourced from Cheap China Source as kit.
Infact, probably batteries are cheapest older gen Vehicle batteries produced out of China, not the latest ones which have higher density, power pack values and reliable SOC.
So essentially what TATA has done is only Vehicle integration of these kits and small calibration or Tuning to modify as per drivability requirements.
Sadly, this is 100% true as my sources in TML also said the same. Rather than just adding few support sheetmetal parts and environmental testing at India condition, the core pack design including the powertrain is from China.

Let's hope these are durable overtime as typical after-effects of cheap battery cells tends to come up around its mid cycle life.

If you compare M&M who had prior experience and supplier contact in EV field, TML atleast took the risk to invest and sell EVs even at loss(Yes it is!) to their India customers.

But in general, when you compare with ICE, EV is much simpler and no hefty repairs means, all the Germans and Japanese who already excel in global markets with advanced tech will easily capture the India market as TML will not have advantage of localization of cells/ePwt components.
starke is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 21:09   #654
BHPian

Have a specific question about the range. Can the Nexon EV do Kozhikode (Kerala) to Mysore ~210Kms?

The stretch consists of ~100kms 2 lane road in Kerala with moderate traffic. This also include ~15kms ghat road, with steep inclines (uphill).

~20kms is through Bandipur forest - sparse traffic, but speed beakers at every 500m-1kms.

Remaining 80kms - again mostly 2 lane roads but with sparse traffic - typically (except in Mysore city till the charging station)
Old 30th November 2021, 11:28   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
No offence but what I find surprising is that we Indians believe that Tata or any other such corporation acts out of a sense of patriotism whereas these corporations only have one thing in their mind and that is profits.

Is this R&D about inventing and innovating new technologies or is this R&D about copying products and manufacturing practices of foreign companies?
Also should the general public believe these presentations which are obviously a tool to sell dreams to investors?
To be profitable is and should be the basic purpose of any organisation. Even the Chinese didn't learn everything on their own. The Americans and Europeans thought their stuff to the Chinese. In the long term, Tata will be more patriotic than most Indian companies. I give them complete credit for having a long term vision!
Jattitude is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 17:06   #656
BHPian

Tata Motors EV sales (Nexon EV + Tigor EV) continue to grow every month. In November 2021, Tata Motors sold 1751 electric cars which is their highest ever monthly sales. EVs now account 5.8% of their total car sales.

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-tev.png

Source:
https://www.bseindia.com/xml-data/co...fb7ffc4b0d.pdf
sri_tesla is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 17:52   #657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
EVs now account 5.8% of their total car sales.
I visited TaMo yard yesterday and they had 4 Nexon EVs and 3 Tigor EVs in yesterday's shipment. This volume for one dealership in one tier 3 city indicates some decent volume.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd December 2021 at 08:17. Reason: Fixing broken quote tags.
prasanna_indaje is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 21:18   #658
BHPian

In last 3-4 months I've seen more Nexon EVs than Nexon ICEs. And not it's not because the EV is more noticeable, I did actually note them. May be it's because EV buyers have less options and hence buy Nexon EVs since only that is available. Otherwise I would have seen more MS Brezza EVs if it was ever made.

Last edited by RavSam : 1st December 2021 at 21:19.
Old 2nd December 2021, 11:10   #659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
In last 3-4 months I've seen more Nexon EVs than Nexon ICEs. And not it's not because the EV is more noticeable, I did actually note them. May be it's because EV buyers have less options and hence buy Nexon EVs since only that is available. Otherwise I would have seen more MS Brezza EVs if it was ever made.
We also have the MG ZS as well as Hyundai Kona in EVS. MG ZS Excite is only about 5 lakhs more than the Nexon.
Old 3rd December 2021, 19:10   #660
BHPian

Does anyone have any inside information about future feature additions to the Nexon EV? I would wait a few months longer if anything is in the pipeline.

1. Cruise Control, decided to skip it in the Yaris but regret it now. Would be a great convenience factor.
2. ESP and TC, these seem like must haves with the instant torque on offer. All ICE Nexons get it.
3. Wireless AA. Not important but if the Safari gets it, can't hurt to hope for this too.

The TD of the Nexon EV blew me away. I was under the impression that the drive would be similar to a CVT but I was pleasantly surprised. Kudos to TaMo on the Nexon EV.
nathanjdias is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed