Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2020, 17:57   #1
BHPian

India's Tesla? Pravaig Extinction MK1 Electric Sedan

Mod Note: Please continue the discussion on the new Pravaig Thread (Visiting Pravaig Dynamics, a Bangalore-based EV company & checking out the Extinction prototype). Thanks!

Hi All,
I have come across Pravaig recently especially from a few people whose Instagram I follow from Bengaluru.

What i found:

a. Saw a video on 91Wheels channel (they've got all the latest news usually):

b. And 91Wheels also writes very good articles (mentioned in the video):
https://www.91wheels.com/news/pravai...-indian-tesla/

c. Going to the website, and social pages of "Pravaig Dynamics", there's very little information.
Most active is:
https://www.instagram.com/pravaigdynamics/

d. The clearly unfinished website has some pictures(renders?) pravaig.com
but nothing else more than that.

e. And then there is a dearth of content to be found pertaining to Pravaig, across the internet i found only these scattered things:

1. Some startup/brand thread on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/india/comme...pport/d96yg54/

2. More interestingly a picture on Team-Bhp (as always the fastest to capture new 4 wheels):

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post4131931 (Pics of weird & wacky mod jobs in India!)

3. Same car as what harsh79 snapped in the above thread:

What i didn't find:

Does anyone have any more information? Is this a real company? Or Faraday Future like flash in the pan? Are these just Chinese insides on a plastic outside, which is probably Chinese as well? Is this another clone-maker like Xpeng motors?

Opinion:

Why would anyone buy and unknown EV over a Tesla or any of the car makers? Is this just another Indian "disruptive startup" that's jumping on the Tesla - Rivian - Nikola bandwagon?

Last edited by GTO : 6th October 2020 at 09:35. Reason: Linking to new thread :)
sidzler15 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 19:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: India's Tesla? Pravaig Extinction MK1 Electric Sedan

Probably someone stripped off a Civic/Accord of yore, stuck their bodywork(poor craftsmanship if I may add) onto it and are currently testing it with an EV powertrain?
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 19:30   #3
BHPian

re: India's Tesla? Pravaig Extinction MK1 Electric Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Probably someone stripped off a Civic/Accord of yore, stuck their bodywork(poor craftsmanship if I may add) onto it and are currently testing it with an EV powertrain?
Possibly.
They seem to have older stuff like the one posted by harsh79 and the video in e.3. that looks like a radiator from the back (where the windshield is), why'd they block the vision?!

Also i found a few instances of this red car floating around on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/Jaipers/pho...C&__tn__=EHH-R
sidzler15 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 08:14   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: India's Tesla? Pravaig Extinction MK1 Electric Sedan

Must admit that I like what I see. The design definitely has potential. From their Instagram page:
India's Tesla? Pravaig Extinction MK1 Electric Sedan-annotation-20200719-080734.png

India's Tesla? Pravaig Extinction MK1 Electric Sedan-annotation-20200719-080809.png

India's Tesla? Pravaig Extinction MK1 Electric Sedan-annotation-20200719-080832.png

India's Tesla? Pravaig Extinction MK1 Electric Sedan-annotation-20200719-080915.png

Link to their website. Is this their actual HQ?
India's Tesla? Pravaig Extinction MK1 Electric Sedan-untitled.png
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 13:50   #5
BHPian

Did some searching and found few profiles on LinkedIn. Not sharing here due to privacy concerns. The founder director is apparently ex-Polaris. There is no much information except an article on couple of lesser known auto sites which has more speculation than information. The prototype does look exciting but not sure how good the team is, technically and how fell funded they are.
octane_100 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 23:09   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidzler15 View Post
Why would anyone buy and unknown EV over a Tesla or any of the car makers? Is this just another Indian "disruptive startup" that's jumping on the Tesla - Rivian - Nikola bandwagon?
More like a shot at being Aatma Nirbhar. To be honest, making a Pure EV is something that most established manufactures would find themselves in unknown waters, so why shouldn't a new company try? I, for one, am big on giving a new Indian product a shot provided it proves to be up to the standards of the tried and tested players of the industry. For eg: I'm seriously considering buying the Ather electric scooter. They managed to make a marvellous product. But would I consider buying something like the DC Avanti? NO. Had people have stayed rigid and gone with the old players, companies like Tesla would never have been where they are today.

Electric cars, although being in a juvenile stage in India, yet are without a doubt the future. The faster new companies get to the drawing board, the more time they'll get to mature out their product until a time comes where people will probably have no choice but to buy electric cars. By then hopefully, their vehicles will be perfected, and we'll have a bright electric future.

Last edited by Starfire : 19th July 2020 at 23:10.
Starfire is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 09:11   #7
BHPian

The model shown seems to be a clay model. Notice the totally opaque but highly glossy window region
ZenMaster is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 09:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Not sure about the company's future, but what an ironic name

Affordable no nonsense electric cars are the need of the hour. Hope someone offers a sub 15L Rupee car soon.
giri1.8 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 10:29   #9
BHPian

That's one odd looking car model. In every angle there's some unsightly protrusion or an arbitrary curve. Looks like a DC design based on the Amby of the yore which isn't at all a praise. The windshields are so flat and the reflectivity of the windows is all over the place. Wouldn't be lining up for it if it comes out like this.
sreeharipv is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 13:02   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire View Post
More like a shot at being Aatma Nirbhar. To be honest, making a Pure EV is something that most established manufactures would find themselves in unknown waters, so why shouldn't a new company try? I, for one, am big on giving a new Indian product a shot provided it proves to be up to the standards of the tried and tested players of the industry. For eg: I'm seriously considering buying the Ather electric scooter. They managed to make a marvellous product. But would I consider buying something like the DC Avanti? NO. Had people have stayed rigid and gone with the old players, companies like Tesla would never have been where they are today.

Electric cars, although being in a juvenile stage in India, yet are without a doubt the future. The faster new companies get to the drawing board, the more time they'll get to mature out their product until a time comes where people will probably have no choice but to buy electric cars. By then hopefully, their vehicles will be perfected, and we'll have a bright electric future.
1. True, however what comes to mind is why would anyone buy an Ather?

1.1 They are in a niche of making expensive electric scooters, which as a niche by itself seems strange. Most people buy scooters for utility as a low cost commute vehicle, and the more expensive 2 wheels are motorcycles or even cycles! Ather's sales are showing for it, and recently they came out with this statement:

1.2 Additionally with the same they're trying to pivot to various models with Bounce etc and logistics companies:

https://www.motorbeam.com/ather-340-...-to-low-sales/

1.3 Their cost of manufacturing is higher than their sales prices even today!

1.4 However the product is pretty fun, very well designed.

2. Therefore, even if Pravaig makes a well designed product, what good will it be if it's super expensive? Who'll buy it against a BMW/Merc/Tesla (inevitably they'll be here).

2.1 Other way is to sell it at a loss and burn VC (startups)/Legacy(OEMs,eg. the "i" program from BMW) money, basically the playbook of all companies (except Tesla) so far.

2.2 The niche of early adopters such as yourself and people proud to buy Indian goods is great and definitely these are the people that enable real change; however how many exist with the money to buy an expensive car? I can bet it's more than Rs. 40-45 lakhs for the vehicle we see over here. Even under the assumption that it is competitive in terms of features, design, etc, most will take a Merc/BMW just because of societal conventions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
The model shown seems to be a clay model. Notice the totally opaque but highly glossy window region
The videos seem to suggest differently, maybe just heavy photoshop/renders that gives it the clay effect. Also in the older instagram posts they have different side indicators v/s the real prototype in the video.

Disclaimer - I'm long $TSLA shares, since 2017!
sidzler15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 14:29   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Not sure about the company's future, but what an ironic name

Affordable no nonsense electric cars are the need of the hour. Hope someone offers a sub 15L Rupee car soon.
There is the Tata Nexon EV!!
Avinash_R is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 09:41   #12
BHPian

Nice design - futuristic and fresh. I just hope powertrain and interiors follow the same philosophy. All the best to them, and excited to see a new segment (in India) getting created probably.

For pricing - IMHO, either proven credentials as a car or as a brand name pulls customers. With EV, another important aspect is the infrastructure for charging. I sincerely hope they don't repeat an Ather in pricing.
Zinda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 10:28   #13
Senior - BHPian

Looks sweet. Considering the difficulty in getting funding (especially in such a crisis) for large scale manufacturing, I'd expect such a company like Mahindra to acquire this startup. That is, IF there is substance beneath that stylish design.

Electric cars are easier to make compared to IC engine cars and I hope Indian companies can step up their game in making cheap EVs to compete against the Chinese and Japanese.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 12:06   #14
BHPian

Renders from the website

Wishing the team, Godspeed !
Attached Thumbnails
India's Tesla? Pravaig Extinction MK1 Electric Sedan-slide11.jpg  

India's Tesla? Pravaig Extinction MK1 Electric Sedan-slide12.jpg  

Ashutosh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 12:39   #15
CJP
BHPian

Weird copy on their Insta page...the copywriter needs some English lessons perhaps
Attached Thumbnails
India's Tesla? Pravaig Extinction MK1 Electric Sedan-pravaig_instapage.jpg  

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks