Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2020, 16:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tesla driver suspended for operating wiper from touchscreen

A German court has upheld the Euro 200 fine levied on a Tesla driver for 'improper use of an electronic device' last year. It was reported that the driver was trying to adjust the wiper speed, when he drove into an embankment and hit several trees. He has been banned from driving for a month.

The court observed that while the wiper could be turned on/off conventionally, changing the wiper speed required the driver to access a sub-menu on the touchscreen. The driver argued that touchscreen can not be classified as an electronic device as it is used for a safety feature (wipers). The judge dismissed this as it is only permitted to have a brief glance or use voice commands while driving to ensure safe operation of the vehicle.

The ruling could result in car manufacturers having to rethink replacing buttons with touchscreens as the drivers would be held liable for operating such functions that could divert their attention from the road.

Tesla driver suspended for operating wiper from touchscreen-model3herodesktopv2.jpg

Tesla driver suspended for operating wiper from touchscreen-images2.jpeg

Source

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by blackwasp : 4th August 2020 at 16:01.
blackwasp is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 16:07   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tesla driver suspended for operating wiper from touchscreen

Just because something is higher technology does not necessarily make it better or more effective or safer. Needing to look down on a screen to change wiper speed sounds like ergonomics sans common sense. You don't need a technologically enhanced safety pin or sewing needle. Very critical tools and they are perfect as they are. Aircraft are way more technologically advanced than cars yet so many controls in the cockpit are tactile so that just by the feel of the angle of the knob the pilot knows what position the control is at and whether he/she has twisted/pressed/moved it to the desired position. Elon, old chap everything does not need to be digitized -- see photo of a windsock -- a simple instrument that in a half second glance tells a pilot, coming in to land, the direction of the wind and to some extent strength. Elon, please don't digitize the horn. I like blowing it to keep my defensive driving skills honed.
Attached Thumbnails
Tesla driver suspended for operating wiper from touchscreen-dsc_02881024x683.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 4th August 2020 at 23:30. Reason: Minor typo
V.Narayan is offline   (74) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 16:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

There is still hope it appears.

This absolutely idiotic trend of putting TV screens in cars instead of conventional buttons for even the most basic functions needs to stop.

A screen can only assist and aid a button, not replace it. And it is indeed a huge safety hazard. I ve tried using the screen in the model S while driving. The interface was not slick and everything was all over the place. Manufacturers really need to re think this trend.
bigron is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 16:17   #4
BHPian

I can see the Judge's viewpoint. He is kind of right in this case. Manufacturers must rethink touchscreens vs knobs.
Hemantteen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 17:00   #5
BHPian

Too much of anything is obviously bad. I'm not really against the use of large touch-enabled infotainment screens in cars. For someone like me who is hopelessly bad at remembering routes, Google Maps through Android Auto is a godsend as it eliminates the need for a tacky mobile holding contraption.

But the rationale behind a manufacturer integrating the basic functions in a car like wiper settings/climate control/media controls in a touch screen, in place of tactile physical knobs and buttons is beyond me. And the mass market folks see these as bling features to showoff, without bothering to think about the associated hazards and usability aspects.

What next? Replacing the steering wheel and pedals with a touch screen up front having left-right-up-down arrow keys?

For all the good things that Tesla has given to the automotive world, this is one thing that I absolutely hate them for. Particularly when they eliminated the instrument cluster altogether in the Model 3.

I really hope somebody puts an end to this nonsensical trend.

/end of rant

Last edited by ram.iyer95 : 4th August 2020 at 17:02.
ram.iyer95 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 17:39   #6
BHPian

Lack of buttons may look seamless & minimalistic but makes it much more complicated in some scenarios.

Another example, while not at all dangerous as in this case:
  1. The glove box can only be opened by the touch screen itself. I mean why? Why can't they integrate a concealed button on the lid of the glovebox itself? How old will that look?
  2. The flow of aircon, usually a stalk that can be moved left/right/up/down in all vehicles is replaced by a button buried in some setting on the touch screen itself. While the accuracy is spot on, one needs to dig in to the touch screen to change the direction of air flow.
  3. ORVMs too? I am not sure on this.
When one can turn on/off the wipers using a stalk provided, why not integrate the speed in that too? I can imagine the scenarios where one needs to select the speed of the wipers as per the intensity of the rainfall. And how uncomfortable it may get to see the wipers at full blast & less rainfall or wipers moving slow & heavy rainfall. Impedes vision.
All that said, judge is technically right to charge the driver. I feel this is more the manufacturer error than the driver. May be the court can slap a fine on Tesla, Inc.?

Neo

Last edited by Aditya : 4th August 2020 at 23:32. Reason: Minor typos
neo_narender is offline   (5) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 4th August 2020, 18:30   #7
BHPian

I really hate it when companies try to 'Steve Jobs' their product line by creating a need which doesn't exist. Sure - do it based on data / user feedback but not on your gut. Look at ID3 - Volkswagen's 3rd big launch in the history (Beetle, Golf were the 1st 2). The car is full of capacitive touch buttons and works most of the time with voice commands. Why? Because the current generation is smartphone, touch screen savy and we should extend the same experience on cars. NO! that is plain stupid. Do not forget we also use 'Eyes' to interact with our smartphones - most, most of us would be doing with Siri or Google assistant on their smartphones is setting alarm, or putting a reminder. And Now you want users to do that while being in a tin can at 100km/hr+ controlling aircon speed, changing viper speed? That's ridiculous.
kanishka88 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 18:39   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

As far as I am concerned all basic controls function of a car need to be done via normal switches, knobs, levers and such. Only secure and confident way of operating any function.

I was amazed at those huge displays in the SpaceX craft.

I have in my mind some of those Apollo and even Spaceshuttle launches. Everything gets shaken about. Same on re-entry. How can you ever use a touch screen under those conditions?

Earlier this year whilst on holiday/family visit in Barbados a friend ask me to come along on his new motorboat. A 65 foot trawler capable of doing 25 knots.
Almost any function operated via touch screens. Very nice, when you are docked in the marina, a Margarita in one hand and adjusting the radar display to show off to your friends. But at sea, even at moderate swell, it was a pain, if not impossible. We had to slow down to be able to reset the range on the radar! Change frequency on the VHF. Ridiculous!

The German verdict is interesting. Let’s see how it goes from here. I did make me pause for thought. I will be driving through Germany next week in my Alfa Spider. No touch screens obviously. All good old schools, levers and switches. But I do rely on my TomTom for navigation. Looks like I should not be touching that either. I don’t usually do, but now and then I find it easy to switch between 3D and 2D. Requires only one push/touch, but still. Could turn out to be expensive!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 18:41   #9
BHPian

Tesla has very minimal functions around its steering wheel. Most of them are on the huge touch screen and it must be a nightmare to browse through the options. I agree with the verdict. My colleague drives a MG Hector and he is always distracted and almost bumped the car ahead in multiple situations. Full touch controls are good if you are flying this
Attached Thumbnails
Tesla driver suspended for operating wiper from touchscreen-spacex.jpg  

spoth001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 21:35   #10
BHPian

Wouldn't it be interesting to do a comparison of accidents in vehicles with touchscreen functions mostly versus those with buttons/knobs.. obviously of the same or comparative models ? Using a touch screen is same as using a mobile while driving,so should it be allowed?The judge was absolutely correct while Tesla too should be reprimanded .Just my opinion .
Old 4th August 2020, 22:26   #11
BHPian

Basic functions like wipers, temperature controls, volume etc should be physical buttons. It's extremely distracting trying to operate a touchscreen while driving. Try not looking at the road for even 1 second while doing 100 kmph. It's scary. And Musk or anyone cannot convince people to do so. I hope they mend their ways or are forced to by courts.
Old 4th August 2020, 22:42   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Am shocked that adjusting the wiper speed on a Tesla requires the touch screen. Clearly shows how the world’s most valuable auto maker is quite clueless about the ergonomics of driving cars (or may be they thought their “Autopilot” can handle this). I like touch screens, but basic functions like adjusting the wipers, lights, cruise control, and air con need to be mechanical switches which need to be seen to be operated.
Hayek is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 23:15   #13
BHPian

I find it’s difficult to operate touchscreen while driving than using physical switches. My view is the following setting should stay as a physical switch irrespective of technology advancement in all cars and there should be a law in place regarding these key positions.

- Turn Signal/Indicator Switches/Hazard light
- Wiper/Defogger
- Headlight switch and adjustments (If car has auto headlight/dimmer, then this is not needed)
- Cruise control switches
- Volume control
- Climate control

Another confusing point is the difference in turn signal and wiper switches positions for Asian vs European/American Cars. I guess the reason for that is the manufacturers trying to save some money when a LHD car is modified for RHD market

Last edited by arunrajk81 : 4th August 2020 at 23:22.
arunrajk81 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 23:25   #14
BANNED

What a misleading title.

A more appropriate title should be "Tesla driver fined for crashing into an embankment and several trees"
When asked about why he was distracted, he said he was changing the wiper speed from the touchscreen, an ergonomic nightmare.

He should've just put on the autopilot or parked on one side for setting up the wiper speed.
turbo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 23:48   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
What a misleading title.

A more appropriate title should be "Tesla driver fined for crashing into an embankment and several trees"

I don't think so. This is all over the news here in Netherlands as well. He is actually fined for using an electronic device. That is the main thing.

You don't get fined as such for crashing into a tree. The German court, rightly so, goes to the root cause and that is how it ruled!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks