Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2020, 14:22   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: 3 Nights & 2 days with the MG ZS EV - Extended Test Drive & Review

Thanks to Sundeep Aggarwal for sending these videos in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing them with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
I, Sundeep Aggarwal from Vashi, Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra, had purchased an MG ZS EV from Tejas Motors, Nerul in August 2020. The vehicle suddenly stopped while running on 12th september 2020. The display showed a Vehicle Control System Fault, HV Battery Shut Off, Motor Fault and consult the handbook.

The vehicle was towed to the Thane service center and they couldn't diagnose the problem. They said the car started on its own. They said that some rebooting was automatically done on the car's system and hence, it started. But, they had to diagnose why it shut down while running.

This was repeated twice after 15th September. Then the company people came and upgraded some software in my vehicle. Again, on 26th October, the same problem came up and the vehicle stopped twice displaying the same warning as on 12th September.

I have lodged several complaints on the MG toll free number, but to my horror and surprise, there has been no response from them. I have not received a single mail from the company regarding the same! I am totally fed up and repent purchasing the MG ZS EV as the problem still prevails and there is no solution. Please help me solve the issue.

Last edited by Aditya : 5th November 2020 at 14:32.
Aditya is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 16:37   #47
BHPian

Issues can happen to any vehicle or electronic item we purchase.
It is the after sales service which is the real decision maker many a times.
The sad part is that MG is not responding to this, they have the 5 year shield program and still no response.
The ZS EV is currently on the top of my list as the car for me once my lease is over.

Reading this is disturbing.

I hope they reach out to Sandeep to get this resolved.

The ZS EV is a fantastic vehicle so please MG do not mess it up with bad service. (hoping someone from MG is reading this)
Old 7th November 2020, 10:44   #48
Senior - BHPian

Looks similar to the issue faced by me reported in the previous page, but not while the car was running. Thankfully in my case, the support was responsive although they couldn't find the cause.

It happened again but a different way recently on the same day the car was to be sent for the first service. There was no error message this time, and the motor powered on as well as per the power usage meter and the 16v battery showed 50% and also showed the battery icon lit up on the speedo meter. But, the car refused to budge when moved to D or R. If I remember right, the park brake was lit up and not turning off even after trying to switch it off. It moved after few tries and I warned the pick up driver about it since the service centre was more than 20kms away. Once the car was there, the issue occurred and the SA acknowledged the same and he said he reflashed the software and it is fine till date. But the car sees very less running and so it is early to say.

I have a feeling the first starting issue I faced was to do with the 16v battery as every time this happens, that battery shows 50% and otherwise it is at 60%. What makes me wonder is, isn't that battery supposed to be at 100% or slightly lesser than that when the car is new? The car has just crossed 500kms and I don't remember seeing that battery ever showing full on the digital meter below the speedo.

The thing is, everytime the car is taken out, there is a thought this may happen.
I wish MG proactively takes steps to address these various glitches instead of just introducing new models every half year and being done with their responsibility.

Last edited by tharian : 7th November 2020 at 10:47.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 18:57   #49
GTO
Team-BHP Support

3 Nights & 2 days with the MG ZS EV - Extended Test Drive & Review-20201107-12.05.01.jpg

I spent a weekend with the MG ZS EV.

- Very nice, city-friendly package. Once electric cars solve the price + range problems (give them 5 years), people will really take to them.

- The fact that MG is offering an EV on sale in India and Maruti / Toyota / Honda aren't even close to it, tells you how far ahead the Chinese are in this future technology.

- Importantly, the ZS EV feels "sorted". I enjoyed my drive in the Hector and I enjoyed my drive in this ZS EV. Tells you of what a long way MG Motors has come. Trust me, they're learning fast.

- The car looks 3 - 5 years old already. Shows its age on the outside & inside.

- Love how a fuel gauge has been given which displays the current battery level, just like the fuel gauge in a normal car.

- The sound system is average, and can't handle bass-heavy songs well. The cheaper MG Hector's ICE is like twice as good!

- Lovely sounding horn. Awesome steering wheel also.

- The acceleration is super impressive! Everyone who drove the ZS EV walked away grinning. Cars like this give EVs a good name, not the lame stuff Mahindra was dishing out.

- With electric cars, I absolutely love the regenerative braking! Even in ICE cars, I'm a big engine-braking guy.

- The biggest reason to buy the MG over the Kona is the fact that its ride quality is compliant. The Kona's ride quality is a backbreaker. The MG is compliant for the most part, getting bumpy only on the bigger potholes. There is excessive side-to-side swaying on bad roads too. But it is comfortable 90% of the time, which is something the Kona isn't able to deliver.

- The current range is more than enough for city driving and going to nearby destinations such as Lonavla, Pune or Nashik. Don't worry about range - the way that battery technology is progressing, in 5 years or less, 500 km EVs will be commonplace.

- I think with 500 km EVs, range anxiety will be a thing of the past. Equally, I will add that because EV owners are obsessed with range and keep a close eye on it, the % of petrol cars that are stranded due to an empty tank will be a lot higher than EVs being stranded due to a flat battery.

- And it's not just range. In 10 years or less, we will also have fast charging options on the main highways, where you could get like a 50 - 80% top up in an hour. The same time that you take to eat your breakfast at the McDonalds.

- Driving a car with a green number plate is definitely a status symbol. It's got a super cool factor to it.

Last edited by GTO : 10th November 2020 at 19:01.
GTO is offline   (75) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 11:22   #50
BHPian

Thank you GTO for the initial observations. Egarly waiting for full review.

Nexon is promising in EV segment, others are out of reach of common people. I really want to see Maruti in EV space. Only then Indian masses will adopt EV's fully.

We have seen government bodies like Delhi, Tamilnadu and Telangana giving good subsidies to early adopters and OEMs. More states should adopt similar policies and should focus on renewable energy sources.

I am ready to adopt EV, but I am waiting for a affordable EV which can promise 350+ real life mileage on single charge and not ARAI claim.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 16:45   #51
BHPian

Give me an EV which does 500/600 kms in a single charge, should take about 15 mins for a full recharge and will give me my 500 kms between two charges at all speeds, irrespective of loads, ac usage etc. Until an EV does that, it is diesel power all the way.
Actually I am glad that more and more people adapt to the current gen EV, the wait at the fuel pumps will get shorter for me and since these EV users will take hours for breakfast/lunch dinner halts to 80% charge their cars, the highways will get a little more open to drive

Last edited by AirbusCapt : 15th November 2020 at 16:48.
AirbusCapt is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 19:56   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I spent a weekend with the MG ZS EV.
Is this a preview of a full review? If yes, very excited to hear more!
Old 15th November 2020, 20:25   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 2078861

- I think with 500 km EVs, range anxiety will be a thing of the past. Equally, I will add that because EV owners are obsessed with range and keep a close eye on it, the % of petrol cars that are stranded due to an empty tank will be a lot higher than EVs being stranded due to a flat battery.

- And it's not just range. In 10 years or less, we will also have fast charging options on the main highways, where you could get like a 50 - 80% top up in an hour. The same time that you take to eat your breakfast at the McDonalds.

- Driving a car with a green number plate is definitely a status symbol. It's got a super cool factor to it.
Nice , eagerly waiting for the official review. Only thing I can nitpik about the ZS EV is the long charging time with normal plugs , otherwise it's too good, same holds for Kona EV too. Nexon is practical here with 6-8 hrs on 16A plugs.

SAIC is here for EVs I believe, they can do it swiftly than the market leader . But Hyundai & MG are slow in DC charger network expansion as of now, need to do more on it.
TorqueIndia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 22:31   #54
BHPian

I will hold off on buying any EV cars till charging stations are as ubiquitous as the petrol stations currently. This will happen eventually , but might take some time. By then the battery technology will have improved significantly and the costs hopefully would have come down.
thehighwayman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 23:55   #55
BHPian

EV is the future of mobility for sure. Not only because it is eco friendly as there is no tailpipe emissions, but also it will reduce our dependence on fossil fuels. We import roughly 7.2 lakh crore worth crude oil every year (source https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/75473757.cms) which I believe, can be reduced substantially by mass adoption of EVs.

I had driven MG ZS EV two weeks back and I absolutely loved the drive. It ticked almost all the boxes. Size is perfect, acceleration is superb and I loved the selectable regenerative breaking. The range is not much of an issue for me as my daily commute is approximately 30km and I have another vehicle for long distance travel. But the problem is that I live in an apartment complex (I do have a fixed covered parking area) and according to the sales guy, it is difficult to get clearance from KSEB (Kerala state electricity board) to install the charger as it will increase the connected load. I wasn’t aware of this issue before. Any of our members faced similar issue while getting an EV charger installed in an apartment complex ?
rapid_fire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 00:30   #56
BHPian

I am still confused between MG ZS EV and Harrier. The longer I wait, the more I want to go for EV. With UK bringing Petrol and Diesel ban forward to 2030 and since I live in Delhi NCR, i expect the ban to be enforced sooner or later.

With the current EVs, I like ZS over Nexon just for the bigger boot as I travel with loaded bags.
sunnsood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 08:40   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 2078861

- The fact that MG is offering an EV on sale in India and Maruti / Toyota / Honda aren't even close to it, tells you how far ahead the Chinese are in this future technology.
Chinese are not far ahead of Toyota or Honda in terms of EV technology. They are proactive but not ahead in terms of technology despite being early movers in pure EVs. Toyota and Honda are already started selling full-electric vehicles in China. Toyota setting up large production facilities in China with huge capacities and will release 10 full-electric models in the country within 2-3 years. Honda also setting up factories for EVs in China.

SAIC/MG is focusing on EVs as a brand-building exercise in India. For Europe, they are using EVs to garner sales volume, as their petrol vehicles are not that successful there. They are a cheaper alternative to the likes of Kona, Niro, Leafs there.

Japanese are slow movers and doing just enough to meet the local regulations and competition. Due to regulations and competition, they are setting up EV factories in China. In Europe, Toyota is already able to move to meet regulations because of a mix of hybrids. They will eventually bring EVs there as EU regulations become more stringent in the future and also as competition increases. In US and rest of Asia, there are no stricter regulations hence they are not interested in selling EVs in these markets. Only time will tell if this is the correct approach or they will become the likes of Japanese electronics behemoths like Toshiba, Sony, Sharp, etc...
sri_tesla is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 08:51   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
Give me an EV which does 500/600 kms in a single charge, should take about 15 mins for a full recharge and will give me my 500 kms between two charges at all speeds, irrespective of loads, ac usage etc. Until an EV does that, it is diesel power all the way.
Actually I am glad that more and more people adapt to the current gen EV, the wait at the fuel pumps will get shorter for me and since these EV users will take hours for breakfast/lunch dinner halts to 80% charge their cars, the highways will get a little more open to drive
To each his own. But by not considering EVs, you are missing out on the following.
  1. Much better acceleration/drivability in city/outskirts than a diesel's wildest dreams
  2. Not having to line up at the fuel pump
  3. Feeling of starting with a full tank every morning
  4. Not having to shell out thousands of Rupees each week for fuel
  5. Not having to do regular oil changes
  6. One pedal driving
  7. Feeling of not polluting the air
  8. Feeling of not wasting time to refuel as the refuelling happens while you do other things having lunch or using the bathroom

Test drive an EV. Give it a thought.
sreeharipv is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 08:56   #59
BHPian

While EV is indeed the future and battery technology (a key component that had not evolved for decades) is now getting better and better. The only issue I see is that long range EVs will be quite costly always, like MG, and small range EVs are only fit for city rides. Not many people can afford a dual car garage which means going on ~200kms ride will be a risk/impossible if you plan to return same day.

Offcourse, a Giga-India factory can solve the cost problem by getting the scale in one go, but I am sure we cannot replicate the Tesla wave of the USA.

Fleet operators or single cab owners might be a good target as their movement can be predicted within a city. Also, you could look at EVs in commercial segment of last mile deliveries in big cities also.

Also, while on the face of it, EVs have an obvious 0 emission advantage but there is still a lot of environment impact due to extensive mining of expensive metals in remote areas of Africa etc, which we never worry of as it's not in front of us. There are many studies talking of an equivalent carbon footprint of manufacturing an EV.

With immediate benefit at sight, I believe there might also be a lot of propaganda marketing behind making EV mainstream also, but let's leave that side of the debate to another thread.

OT: Fossil fuel will be required even beyond only fuel as hydrocarbons is a single source of innumerable compunds that we cannot live without, or even an EV cannot be manufactured, like plastics etc.
justwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 09:03   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid_fire View Post
. But the problem is that I live in an apartment complex (I do have a fixed covered parking area) and according to the sales guy, it is difficult to get clearance from KSEB (Kerala state electricity board) to install the charger as it will increase the connected load. I wasn’t aware of this issue before. Any of our members faced similar issue while getting an EV charger installed in an apartment complex ?
You need to get a sanction for higher load on your apartment meter only. Once that is done, the charging post can be set up. To get the sanction for a higher load(I think 7kw for a fast charger) will be an expensive affair as it is has to go through different levels
Here in Bangalore, BESCOm was asking for a unheard of amount just for load sanction, so I decided to get a normal plug fixed and attached to our meter and leave the car overnight for charging.
tharian is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks