Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2020, 10:11   #1
BHPian

New York Times: The age of Electric Cars is dawning ahead of schedule

It is always interesting to read about how the US thinks about electric vehicles ... and thought of sharing here.

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift
__________________________________________________ _____

Source : https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/20/b...elon-musk.html ... only text reproduced below. For pictures associated with the article, please click on this link.

The Age of Electric Cars Is Dawning Ahead of Schedule

Battery prices are dropping faster than expected. Analysts are moving up projections of when an electric vehicle won’t need government incentives to be cheaper than a gasoline model.

By Jack Ewing
Sept. 20, 2020

Quote:
A few years ago, industry experts expected 2025 would be the turning point. But technology is advancing faster than expected, and could be poised for a quantum leap. Elon Musk is expected to announce a breakthrough at Tesla’s “Battery Day” event on Tuesday that would allow electric cars to travel significantly farther without adding weight.

The balance of power in the auto industry may depend on which carmaker, electronics company or start-up succeeds in squeezing the most power per pound into a battery, what’s known as energy density. A battery with high energy density is inherently cheaper because it requires fewer raw materials and less weight to deliver the same range.

“We’re seeing energy density increase faster than ever before,” said Milan Thakore, a senior research analyst at Wood Mackenzie, an energy consultant which recently pushed its prediction of the tipping point ahead by a year, to 2024.

Some industry experts are even more bullish. Hui Zhang, managing director in Germany of NIO, a Chinese electric carmaker with global ambitions, said he thought parity could be achieved in 2023.

Venkat Viswanathan, an associate professor at Carnegie Mellon University who closely follows the industry, is more cautious. But he said: “We are already on a very accelerated timeline. If you asked anyone in 2010 whether we would have price parity by 2025, they would have said that was impossible.”

Last edited by GTO : 23rd September 2020 at 19:10. Reason: Keeping the fair usage policy in mind, it's best to include an excerpt with a link to the original article
FourWheelDrift is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 16:31   #2
BHPian

re: New York Times: The age of Electric Cars is dawning ahead of schedule

The narrative about EVs definitely changed in the mainstream media. I am copy-pasting one of the most recommend comments in the NYtimes article.

Comment:
"How times change. I well remember when the NYT published with fanfare an article trashing the practicality of the Tesla Model S:

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/10/a...v-highway.html

This was at a time when Tesla stock was $25 a share and most commentators were recommending short-selling it.

Some people look forward, some back."
sri_tesla is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 16:56   #3
BHPian

Good thing that the sales of EVs are increasing and the battery technology is fast improving. But what about the electricity to power these EVs? More power should be generated via renewable sources. Parallel development should be made possible in that area as well. Otherwise there is no point in making EVs mainstream. More fossils burnt to power Zero Emission EVs!
Old 23rd September 2020, 17:08   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ABTorquey View Post
Otherwise there is no point in making EVs mainstream. More fossils burnt to power Zero Emission EVs!
Even a significant proportion of coal-powered electricity generation is cleaner than fuel burnt in ICE cars. Plus there is scope for all the pollution to be concentrated in one chimney and there are technologies availabe to capture them. Implementing similar tech on every ICE car is very expensive.

The grid is getting cleaner every year and so it does make sense to make EVs widespread even if that happens first and grid becomes renewable over a longer period of time.

One reference (several studies show up on this on the web):
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikesco.../#1e1fb6d52320
puntOOs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 17:31   #5
BHPian

Yes, I have felt exactly same after going through GTO's excellent thread.

Electric Cars...through the eyes of a diehard petrol-head

This revolution / disruption is nearer than expected.

Also below thread by Creta owner / BHPian yajaman99 is also another good read.

3 Nights & 2 days with the MG ZS EV - Extended Test Drive & Review

Only concern remaining now is battery life and cost, but We know there is huge progress that direction also.

Altroz EV has potential to be a game changer in Indian market.
Vishal.R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 17:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ABTorquey View Post
Good thing that the sales of EVs are increasing and the battery technology is fast improving. But what about the electricity to power these EVs?
Glad that these questions are asked, these questions never came to our thought earlier even when diesel and petrol was refined from massive electricity produced from coal plants.

There are multiple environmental issues which needs to be dealt with. All these environmental issues should be dealt with parallely. EVs only solve one part of the problem, which is surface transportation. Public EV transportation is much better than EV personal vehicles.

Other environmental problems:
1) Decarbonisation of grid(coal plants etc).
2) Better tyres to avoid brake dust.
3) Avoiding consumption of animal based food.
4) Air travel, Shipping.
5) Plastics
6) Industrial waste
7) Deforestation
...and many more.
SKC-auto is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 23:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: New York Times: The age of Electric Cars is dawning ahead of schedule

Well, about EVs (4 & 2 wheels) I was just thinking

We will have very limited things to consider before buying an EV. Why?

Because, in ICE aged vehicles, it was more than just about features, power and how well it drove i.e. the engagement with the tune of the engine. I love how the ICE sounds, reacts to throttle input - It's as if somebody is just listening to you and responding with their vocal voice.

That won't be the case with EVs, isn't it? It is more of a computer that responds with results shown on the tachometer that it is indeed rolling forward or stopping based on the commands the user puts in! I get it, that it is environment friendly. But, sad that it won't be much engaging like any ICE vehicle would be!

So going in for an EV will mostly be based on the following factors:
  • Features on offer
  • Range (Major factor)
  • How good looking the vehicle is
  • Comfort & safety

Just a random thought that hit my mind when I was thinking few years down the line.
Old 24th September 2020, 14:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: New York Times: The age of Electric Cars is dawning ahead of schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Well, about EVs (4 & 2 wheels) I was just thinking

Because, in ICE aged vehicles, it was more than just about features, power and how well it drove i.e. the engagement with the tune of the engine. I love how the ICE sounds, reacts to throttle input - It's as if somebody is just listening to you and responding with their vocal voice.

That won't be the case with EVs, isn't it? It is more of a computer that responds with results shown on the tachometer that it is indeed rolling forward or stopping based on the commands the user puts in! I get it, that it is environment friendly. But, sad that it won't be much engaging like any ICE vehicle would be!
Isn't the one responding to your inputs is the ECU which is nothing but a computer.

I would argue in the exact opposite of what you said, in an EV there is actually no time lag and response is so quick contrary to ICE which takes extra 0.1-0.3seconds to respond to your inputs as if somebody is not interested to listen to you.

Noise from ICE are subjective, once you like the EV sounds you won't miss the ICE noise.

Last edited by SKC-auto : 24th September 2020 at 14:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks