Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2020, 16:49   #1

My MG ZS EV's accident & MG's handling of the incident

Hello All.,

Interested ones can see my car updates in these posts.

(India-bound MG eZS electric SUV unveiled. Edit: Launched at 19.88 lakh)##Purchase & Concise Review##

(India-bound MG eZS electric SUV unveiled. Edit: Launched at 19.88 lakh)##Charger Problem Resolved##

I have installed 2 Lakh Rupee 3M PPF Pro on the whole body of the car at 3M HSR Layout Bangalore.

=========

Unfortunately, after a happy 10K km of motoring, after 7 months of ownership, the car met with an accident at around 2.45 pm in Vijayawada, in which, an Innova in front sudden braked. While travelling at around 70 km/h, I braked in time and the EV halted just 1 foot behind the Innova, without any cabin jerk.

When everything seemed fine, in less than 10 seconds - there was a large thud from behind and our EV was pushed ~2 feet, dashing into the Innova in front.

When I came out of car, I saw that a Force Ambulance had apparently failed to brake/handle appropriately and dashed into us. The ambulance was apparently empty and there were no injuries.

I was travelling with my wife who was pregnant and having labour pains. Luckily, no one got injured. Thanks to God and MG for that!

As we were in an emergency situation and had no time at hand, we did not even look at the driver of the ambulance, let alone have dialogue with him. Just took a half minute video and went to the hospital.

Later, I sent the car to MG Vijayawada at around 6.45 pm where service was available, but the body shop for ZS EV was not yet functional. They suggested I drive the car to the nearest available facility, Hyderabad (~300 km away from the incident)! They didn't even have an idea about RSA.

With a timely idea from my Brother-in-Law - Aditya, I made an MG icall from the car. The support team promptly connected to MG RSA. The process was very smooth. After inquiring about our safety, they picked up the vehicle with in 1 hour at 9 pm.

Next day at 8.30 am, I got a call and WhatsApp message from MG Hyderabad that the car had been received. Later, I Got an enquiry call from Go Digit Insurance. On the subsequent day, MG Hyderabad called, saying that they had ordered parts and expected 4 days transit time from Gujarat to Hyderabad.

The deficiencies I noticed with MG Hyderabad = the caller stated that the damage at the front, was only to the bumper. But in actual, in addition to the bumper, the MG Logo charging flap, the chrome grille etc were also damaged!

He also said that parts had been ordered and would take 4 days to arrive from Gujarat. I had expected from MG that prior to ordering parts, the car's structure would be completely peeled out in layers and observed for internal (non obvious) damage/issues. Only after a thorough (postmortem) assessment, all the identified damaged parts be ordered is what I had expected. Shouldn't this be the usual protocol?

Regarding = 3M PPF, it should be replaced, but I guess it protected well. This is the status till now. I shall keep updating the thread.

Request members to state your observations, regarding the incident/build quality etc. In addition, I request Members to please help me as to what actions I should take and the care I should exercise in this situation with the following people:

a) MG (for quality work and outcome to have the car back as good as brand new)

b) Insurance guys

c) Ambulance hospital management (for compensation)

Thanks

================

Images
Attached Thumbnails
My MG ZS EV's accident & MG's handling of the incident-img_20201111_152138.jpg  

My MG ZS EV's accident & MG's handling of the incident-screenshot_20201111_155103.jpg  

My MG ZS EV's accident & MG's handling of the incident-screenshot_20201111_155209.jpg  

My MG ZS EV's accident & MG's handling of the incident-img_20201111_155031.jpg  

My MG ZS EV's accident & MG's handling of the incident-img_20201111_164155.jpg  

My MG ZS EV's accident & MG's handling of the incident-videoframe_20201111_153354_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg  

My MG ZS EV's accident & MG's handling of the incident-img_20201111_154925.jpg  

My MG ZS EV's accident & MG's handling of the incident-screenshot_20201111_153737.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 12th November 2020 at 12:21. Reason: Grammar
srimedico is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 17:33   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: My MG ZS EV's accident & MG's handling of the incident

Quote:
Originally Posted by srimedico View Post
c) Ambulance Hospital Management (for compensation)
Sorry that you had to go through this incident, especially while in a medical emergency. While I don't have any experience with how MG ASC and Go Digit are, I would say that focus on the well being of your family at the moment. As unfortunate as this accident is, it is just some monetary loss you can easily write off. Getting compensation from the ambulance driver / hospital is going to be nothing short of an agony. Given your family situation, let it go.

That said, may be better informed/aware members can opine on if you should get a police report filed; just so, either of them don't come to you asking for compensation.
libranof1987 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 17:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

Very sorry that you had to go through the ordeal. I am happy that both you and your wife came out safely. Coming to the point of compensation from the ambulance or hospital, I think it is going to be a very disappointing and frustrating experience to say the least. You are not based out of Vijayawada, so making calls and trying to lodge a complaint is not going to be easy. The hospital will wash their hands of the incident completely. The driver will be held responsible, he will not have a penny to pay. I would suggest, lodge an FIR, ensure all the paper work is taken care of, then apply for insurance and get your car back.
Raghu M is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 18:42   #4
BHPian

Going by what I have heard, Go Digit has quick and quite satisfactory claim settlement process. I have Go digit insurance for my Swift.
Good to know that the damage was contained by the car and you and your wife are safe and unharmed.
88_TANK_88 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 12:05   #5
BHPian

I am happy that you folks are safe and sound. Take care of your loved ones thats all that matters.

Other things: The hospital is not liable for any damages. Because they dont own those Ambulances. Ambulances are normally independently owned and only move the patients from one place to the other, hospital has no say in it. Hence they are not liable. Period.

After dealing with insurance claims of mine and a couple of my friends claims all these years, I have realized one thing, is that don't expect any compensation from anyone, and incidents like these are gonna be a part and parcel of life. Don't spend time expecting some else to pay for damages even if they made them.

If the ambulance driver seems like a sane man, let this slide, ask him to take care of his damages and you take care of yours. If the guy is being overly smart or threatening, you may file and FIR if you feel that he may ask/harass you for compensations later.

Also note that, going to the police station, will not always work in your favor always irrespective of whether you are right. Because the Ambulance driver can claim that you backed up and crashed into his ambulance and hence the damage. Heck, he can even say that he was in an emergency and you did not move your car. And even though this is a clearly what the ambulance driver did, the cops will side with him so that they can discourage you from filing that FIR (Stating from personal experience). So if you are going to the cops make sure that the intent is to settle this once and for all, that its not your fault and that he needs to pay compensation, and if he doesn't; you use your insurance to fix your car and he takes care of his damages.

We pay for car insurance for the privilege of not having to deal with these headaches in life. Use it and forget about what happened. Let this not blow out of proportion. Happy times are right in front of you. Stay safe. Live Free.

Last edited by frewper : 13th November 2020 at 12:07.
frewper is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 14:34   #6
Team-BHP Support

Re: My MG ZS EV's accident & MG's handling of the incident

Glad that there were no serious injuries in the accident.

Regarding insurance, there shouldn't be an issue as such.

Since the car is new, all the damages should get covered in 1 claim (in some cases, old cars have to process two claims in a similar situation - frontal and rear damage separately).

The workshop guys should take care of the insurance process, just that if things are getting delayed, you might have to follow-up. Once the claim gets intimated, you will be informed, the survey should take place within 48 hours (usually happens in a day). Till the approval stage for repairs, you might have to follow up with the insurance and workshop guys. After that, the workshop will start working your car, so the followup will be with the workshop itself.

Quote:
The deficiencies I noticed with MG Hyderabad = the caller stated that the damage at the front, was only to the bumper. But in actual, in addition to the bumper, the MG Logo charging flap, the chrome grille etc were also damaged!
This is strange. The workshop usually includes maximum possible parts in the estimate of repairs.

Hopefully, the process goes smoothly for you.
Omkar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 14:58   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Sorry that you had to go through this incident, especially while in a medical emergency. While I don't have any experience with how MG ASC and Go Digit are, I would say that focus on the well being of your family at the moment. As unfortunate as this accident is, it is just some monetary loss you can easily write off. Getting compensation from the ambulance driver / hospital is going to be nothing short of an agony. Given your family situation, let it go.
+1

Absolutely agree with the above point.
I believe you have bumper to bumper insurance already for your car. Just pay the claim charges and forget about this incident. As it is, it is one of those unfortunate ones.

Saying that getting compensation from the hospital is pure agony is actually a very appropriate term.
Kindly don't be a part of this.

As far as MG's approach towards damages caused is concerned, I feel that it is a bit below standard protocol.
As you have correctly mentioned, they should have checked for any internal damages as well.
I suggest you take this matter up with MG.

Facing problems after your car would be delivered is undesirable and highly irritating. Would keep reminding you of the accident.
Big Smoke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 15:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

I hope insurance companies should try to get the compensation from the Ambulance owner. Its their loss and you covered yours with your policy.

Registering a complaint and getting acknowledgement from police is not difficult as soon as something like this happens. Whether you use it to claim compensation is secondary. Atleast they get fined for rear-ending.

Last edited by srishiva : 13th November 2020 at 15:37.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 19:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

Labor pain and crash that was a judder for me! Happy to know everyone's unscathed. What's really interesting to see is the impact to the rear and the way the Force was damaged vis a vis your MG, kudos to MG for a job well done. Insurance claims always come tangled with redtape, even the best ones out there. Being a new car, things should be taken care of, but the quality of repair done, I'd suggest be to your satisfaction.

There are cases when claims processes go so smoothly that it's a hand in a glove process, and then there's the opposite, mostly the needless redtape which almost every one of us goes through. Go as per their advice. The key here is patience, let them do their work, insist your "complete satisfaction" prior to exiting the SVC with your car.

Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 01:06   #10
BHPian

Out of curiosity, looking at the photo of the Innova, It looks like it has a rear bull bar installed.

1. Is this legal ?
2. Would this cause more damage compared to bumper to bumper impact ?
NDK286 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 12:00   #11

Hope everyone is doing fine and wish you the best for your near parenthood. Drive safe!
Invincible8789 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 21:20   #12

Greetings All.,

I thank the members for informative replies. ��

I have dropped the option of approaching Hospital management.

I have mailed MG pulse hub about the deficiencies & concerns. They have connected me CRM of MG Hyderabad., who assured me of his personal monitoring and Quality output . Hope, it be the case.

I'll update the status soon.

Thanks
srimedico is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 10:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Getting sandwitched in two cars is a bad accident, especially because there was no error from your side. To experience it with a pregnant wife in labor is a nightmare!

I faced a similar accident in my Beat, got hit by a speeding Innova, and I hit the car in front of me. The damage was such that even the stepany tyre got bent in boot. Repairs were around 1 Lakh and I had to pay 35k from pocket. It took a sizeable toll on the already dismal resale value at the time of selling, as well.
ani_meher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 12:00   #14
BHPian

Why should anyone but insurance pay compensation for road accidents? I think even the thought of wanting to claim compensation is quite .. crude and stupid. Road accidents happen and that’s why we pay for car insurance. :/
thirdmainroad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 21:42   #15
BHPian

In an ideal case, if it is not your fault, the insurance company of the other party involved in the accident should compensate for all your expenses. I guess this is how it works in developed world.

Unfortunately, it does not work that way in India. You need to get it repaired from your insurance. Yes, you loose NCB. But you can’t help that. This has happened to me and at that time after some research, I realized that it foolish to look at the possibility of claiming compensation from other party’s insurance.

Only if an accident result in a grievous injury or fatality, insurance option be pursed for compensation to the third party.
n_ramesh99 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks