Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2020, 12:48   #16
BHPian

Re: BMW iX all-electric SUV with 600 km range unveiled

Seems like BMW is actually helping Tesla to prove its superiority with respect to design language. Such horrible looks from a company whose cars we have been drooling over all our lives, is completely unacceptable.
Breathe2drive is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 14:08   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Man, never imagined that ugly look we first saw with the M3 / M4 is going to spread to other BMWs. Yuck! The side is alright and the rear is tight, but a face like that would be a deal-breaker to me, no matter how well it drives.

So ugly is the grille that most posters on this thread didn't even pay attention to the following impressive stats in the opening post:

- 503 BHP

- 0-100 km/h in 5 seconds

- Range of 600 km

- Top up the range by 120 km within 10 minutes using a fast charger.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 06:27   #18
BHPian

From beemers to beavers, the (un)inspiring story of BMW design!

And that steering too look like it has been chomped away by beavers.
Nevertheless the stats regarding the range are impressive. 10-80% in 40 minutes and a 10 min charge giving 120 kms. That's pretty good.
GKR9900 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 09:39   #19
BHPian

I am surprised how everyone is talking about the design but not about the impressive 600km range of this car. I think this range is good enough to find a charging station in majority of India.

I bet it will be expensive, but, good to see finally, BMW catching up with Telsa in terms of range and acceleration figures. This is a good development for EV, in general.
Old 17th November 2020, 11:43   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
At this point, Tesla has well and truly won the space, and I don't foresee cars like the iX (How is it pronounced? i10? Eeks? Maybe the latter) making a dent in the model X or anything else in Tesla's portfolio. Electric cars can be made attractive, sensible, and futuristic without going over the top. If the Tesla's aren't proof enough, just look at Jaguar's I-Pace. C'mon BMW, you can do much better than this...thing.
Actually, I don't think Tesla's won the space at all, they've just had first-mover advantage all these years because they're an EV-only company and they've got the most ubiquitous charging network. The moment the other manufacturers catch up on the charging network, there's nothing that makes Tesla special. In fact there's quite a few things that don't.

I've driven a Model S and ridden shotgun in a Model 3, and they're... fine.
To be honest, the whole straight-line acceleration gets really old, really quickly, and what you want during your ownership of a car is something well made and well appointed.

Teslas are neither of these things.

There must be thousands of documented reviews and memes about ridiculous panel gaps and paint issues, failing touch screens, and bumpers that fall off in a light rain.

The biggest thing for me though, is their design philosophy. At least BMW tried (and failed) with this thing, and I think the Merc EQC looks fantastic. All Teslas, on the other hand, look like melted blobs to me, and I'm sorry but I refuse to have a car where I have to take my eyes off the road to use a gigantic touch screen for every single thing.
ghostrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 12:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Actually, I don't think Tesla's won the space at all, they've just had first-mover advantage all these years because they're an EV-only company and they've got the most ubiquitous charging network.*snip*
I hear you, mano. There are indeed several fronts they have failed on; build quality is iffy and inconsistent, like you said; they have bizarre, arbitrary policies of deactivating features once the buyer sells it on to someone . And the list goes on and on.

But at this point, they're well out in front, although nowhere near unbeatable and fully believe the likes of Porsche and VW will best them in time. However, they've delivered 130000+ cars in the middle of a pandemic, which must be down to some combination of the brand name, Elon Musk's draw, their widespread supercharger network, and the fact there are such few alternatives out there right now. Heck, even their market cap is racing along as if powered by electric torque .

Would I go for a Tesla, all else being equal? No, but that's my personal choice. People plump for it in droves, because it's packed with features, looks futuristic, is quick by any objective measure, and just has that intangible x-factor to it right now.

I would much prefer someone like BMW (a guy can dream), or Porsche, or VW nailing this, and they're too big to fail at this remit. But Tesla really has bolted out of the blocks on this one. Their early mover advantage is a massive one, but I'm rooting for the likes of the Taycan to show them how it's really done.
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 16:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."

―Obi-Wan Kenobi, sensing the reactions to BMWs oversized grilles

In what can be dubbed a Wookie mistake, BMW in their infinite wisdom have decided to launch a campaign asking you why you're resistant to change, you automotive philistine? Yes, I'm talking to you.

BMW iX all-electric SUV with 600 km range unveiled-bmw-eeks-banner.jpg
This really is the lead banner in a slideshow on the page, I kid you not

This really is the ultimate "It's not me, it's you" power move, defending a car described lovingly as an Aztek in a training bra, and I salute BMW for it. They're trying to get out in front of the early criticism, which is an astute move since being behind the curve would mean staring at this in your rear view mirror, the stuff nightmares and Bavarian dreams are made of.

BMW iX all-electric SUV with 600 km range unveiled-face-launched-million-criticisms.png
The face that launched a million critiques

Sorry, but I just needed to vent. I feel like Don Corleone torn asunder, gutted at how they massacred my boy. That it's listed on the BMW website under 'innovation' really gets under my grille.

If you're braver than me, here's a video you can tune into.

I don't know who scripted this, but at one point a voiceover tries to soothe our angst, saying, “Did we somehow start to feel uncomfortable with the unknown? Or have we just stopped being open for anything new?”

I think that's a wonderful takeaway. It's time I try something new. Be right back, installing Tinder on the phone. And if the wifey has a problem, I'll just ask her; "what's your reason not to change?"

Last edited by iliketurtles : 17th November 2020 at 16:27. Reason: Typos begone
iliketurtles is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 07:56   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
In what can be dubbed a Wookie mistake, BMW in their infinite wisdom have decided to launch a campaign asking you why you're resistant to change, you automotive philistine?
Ad campaign is still fine, but the company is really speaking out against criticism in social media too. This is coming across as uglier than their new designs. (Source)

BMW iX all-electric SUV with 600 km range unveiled-screenshot_20201118074716_chrome.jpg

BMW iX all-electric SUV with 600 km range unveiled-screenshot_20201118074741_chrome.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 11:04   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Ad campaign is still fine, but the company is really speaking out against criticism in social media too. This is coming across as uglier than their new designs.
I don’t think you can entirely dissociate social media from the campaign, as they were conceived to go hand in glove. I think they even went “OK Boomer” by way of one response. Totally tone deaf, and a classic example of automotive gaslighting.

At one time, BMW's marketing and design was great. Now they’re both in the dumps. Good to see a concerted strategy at play.

BMW iX all-electric SUV with 600 km range unveiled-f89997dfedac4d4f8688dadcde6a062c.jpeg
Back from when BMWs designs and marketing used to regularly knock it out of the park

Last edited by iliketurtles : 18th November 2020 at 11:11. Reason: Editing faux pa’s
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 14:48   #25
BHPian

Found a really interesting youtube channel that goes by the name of Sketch Monkey. He’s got a lot of skill when it comes to designing cars and I personally think he did a pretty decent job in salvaging this atrociously designed car.

Old 1st December 2020, 08:29   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

The BMW iX in real pics:

BMW iX all-electric SUV with 600 km range unveiled-87eea0c98ceaefae34554f89adffe7a5_1606789071_8331.jpg

BMW iX all-electric SUV with 600 km range unveiled-87eea0c98ceaefae34554f89adffe7a5_1606789072_1763.jpg

BMW iX all-electric SUV with 600 km range unveiled-87eea0c98ceaefae34554f89adffe7a5_1606789072_4891.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 10:07   #27
Senior - BHPian

BMW has taken its iX to the Arctic Circle for extreme winter testing

BMW iX all-electric SUV with 600 km range unveiled-20201211_100350.jpg

BMW iX all-electric SUV with 600 km range unveiled-20201211_100352.jpg

BMW iX all-electric SUV with 600 km range unveiled-20201211_100354.jpg

Source
Old 14th December 2020, 15:18   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

BMWi4 proto type testing:

BMW iX all-electric SUV with 600 km range unveiled-screenshot20201211at104340am.jpg

Link
Old 9th January 2021, 08:25   #29
Senior - BHPian

Frank Stephenson the designer of BMW’s original X5 analyses the new BMW iX

If you took away the grille, Stephenson asks, would you be able to tell that this is a BMW?

Old 9th January 2021, 09:48   #30
BHPian

Is it just me, or does the front look like a cheap knock off chinese version of a BMW?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks