Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2020, 08:30   #1
BHPian

Hyundai Motor Group reveals dedicated EV platform E-GMP

Hyundai Motor Group revealed its first dedicated BEV (Battery EV) platform, E-GMP.

Highlights of E-GMP:
  • BEVs based on E-GMP can provide range over 500km (WLTP).
  • High-speed charging with up to 80% charging in 18 minutes (or 100 km in just 5 minutes).
  • High-performance model based on E-GMP can accelerate 0-100kmph in just 3.5 seconds with top speed of 260kmph.
  • 800v charging capability as standard and enables 400V charging, without the need for additional components or adapters. 800v enables charging capacity up to 350 KW.

E-GMP platform will underpin Hyundai Motor Group’s (Hyundai, Kia and Genesis) plans to introduce a total of 23 BEV models including 11 dedicated BEV models and sell more than 1 million BEVs worldwide by 2025. From 2021, the E-GMP will underpin a range of dedicated new BEVs, including Hyundai Motor Company’s IONIQ 5; Kia Motors Corporation’s first dedicated BEV to be revealed in 2021, and a series of other models.

E-GMP Platform:
Hyundai Motor Group reveals dedicated EV platform E-GMP-e1.jpg

Hyundai Motor Group reveals dedicated EV platform E-GMP-e2.jpg

Hyundai Motor Group reveals dedicated EV platform E-GMP-e3.jpg

Hyundai Motor Group reveals dedicated EV platform E-GMP-e4.jpg

E-GMP platform introduction video:

Hyundai Ioniq 5 will be the first model to be launched based on E-GMP platform:

Hyundai Motor Group reveals dedicated EV platform E-GMP-hyundai451011567798300.jpg

Source:
https://news.hyundaimotorgroup.com/M...platform-e-gmp
sri_tesla is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 16:01   #2
BHPian

re: Hyundai Motor Group reveals dedicated EV platform E-GMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
High-speed charging with up to 80% charging in 18 minutes (or 100 km in just 5 minutes)
It's this latter point that really intrigues me. I think if manufacturers can crack the code in terms of BEVs being able in the time taken for a standard ICE fuel stop (let's say 5 mins on average), to offer enough charge to fill a decent chunk of the battery and give enough range to make it a fair distance - it would alleviate a large part of the range anxiety and skepticism for consumers like me. Sure you'd need charging infrastructure at a density commensurate with these quick top ups so you basically do trips with a few quick stops.

With that sort of charge time, surely down the line a BEV hatchback should be possible. Aim it as a city car mainly and you won't need massive overall range, just make use of that quick charging capability.
ads11 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 18:21   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Very encouraging to see these developments from Hyundai, VW, Mercedes, Volvo etc. We live in interesting times. It is rare to actually live through a fundamental engineering change in a core industry like transportation and watch the new take over the old in front of your eyes.

I am an ardent follower of all things electric in this industry. Two things I plan to watch out for, for two or three of years before going all electric - (1) fire risk: the batteries are right under the passenger compartment. These Lithium batteries when they catch fire go whoosh in a flash and burn with a certain ferocity. (2) ground hits & wading through water: hitting over sized speed breakers and ploughing the car through 6 to 9 inches of water. These are frequent occurrences each year in India. Would like to see in real life how the batteries get affected by both.
V.Narayan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 20:51   #4
BHPian

Absolutely, very encouraging to see how quickly the big automakers have pivoted. It's why I always had a wry smile when computing friends of mine would wax lyrical about Tesla being the death knell of traditional automakers. Thing is, these companies aren't chumps. For the most part they don't wilfully choose to bury their head in the sand, so what we've seen is an industrial scale pivot by them to meet the market where it is increasingly looking to be.

Coming back V.Narayan, you raise points I hadn't originally considered but are very true! These batteries really do go up in a flash (and with the flames from Grosjean's crash still fresh in my mind), it's something the OEMs really need to get on top of. We all saw what happened with exploding batteries for the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 and the massive reputational hit a behemoth like Samsung took, and that was just a cell phone. We see the flak Tesla and others have copped for their cars going up too. All that being said, I remain confident for the day that these concerns are solved for a mass market product targeted for somewhere like India, then BEVs will truly be the default. I think the crux will lie then in cracking the formula for BEVs that achieve volumes in India and I remain so hopeful for home grown firms and those like Hyundai that have a heavy investment here to do well in that regard.

Fingers crossed! Speaking about my parents in India, I think maybe by the end of this decade, there will definitely be an EV of some sort in our garage (as for me in the UK - it increasingly looks like my own dreams of getting a ICE car with my own money are becoming dimmer, what with the new regulations and having a eco card carrying better half)
ads11 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 21:28   #5
BHPian

Interesting development and particularly fond of Hyundai 45 concept being made into Ioniq 5. Also from packaging point of view, it seems to be a sleek skateboard battery pack design with motors and power electronics packaged between the wheels as low as possible to the ground.

Looking forward to see, if alteast Hyundai will come up with a lightweight electric platform. Among the other challenges already mentioned (like crash / fire safety, water wading / Electrocution), bringing out a safe and light (less than 1200kg) EV with 300+km Range would be the best of both worlds for driving dynamics and comfort.

Last edited by carthick1000 : 2nd December 2020 at 21:33.
carthick1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 06:02   #6
BHPian

Its not Teslas that will bring EV into mass market, but companies like VW and Hyundai group which has invested and committed to bring more EV models in shapes and sizes.

I am glad to hear 5 min top up and max range numbers. Somehow I am inclined to keep my ICE cars until their end of life (8-10 years) and then jumping to EV.
Thilak29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 10:06   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai Motor Group reveals dedicated EV platform E-GMP

Actually surprised that such an enormous auto group took so long, but hey, better late than never . EVs that have been built on pure EV platforms are decidedly superior to those EVs which are basically converts of ICE platforms. Whatever pure EV I've driven has impressed me (especially those Teslas). On the other hand, converting an internal-combustion platform to an EV comes with many compromises. See the Hyundai Kona itself - the space packaging is poor, the floor is too high (rear occupants have to put their legs up), the ride quality is bone-jarring to accommodate the battery weight etc. EVs need to be packaged entirely differently than an ICE-engine car and you can't simply keep the platform common if you want a top-class EV.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 10:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Actually surprised that such an enormous auto group took so long...
I am from a small town called Hosur, Home to TVS (and some other well known names). In the last year I have seen at least 2 Kona's (own use) and 5 e-Verito and 2 TATA Tigor EV (verito and Tigor are owned by a local cab company). I was surprised to see a MG ZS EV last week. Oh and not to forget, a couple of TATA Nexon EVs too. This is from a town sized 10 km by 10 km maximum. I cannot believe e-Cars are catching up at this rate...!

One name is Glaringly missing from the list. Where is Maruti in this race? Hope they dont play a extended waiting game and miss out on their 35 years of legacy!!

Last edited by svsantosh : 3rd December 2020 at 10:55.
svsantosh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 12:53   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Very encouraging to see these developments from Hyundai, VW, Mercedes, Volvo etc.
=====
Would like to see in real life how the batteries get affected by both.

If we look at ICE cars, we do have all the above fire risks. We sit on top of 50-90 litres of highly inflammable fluid. There is fire already on the car (albeit controlled) which combusts this fluid to propel the car. So think while there is a fire risk with the batteries, I don't think it is any more than the current ICE cars.

is there any standard fire safety rating for these EV batteries?
raghukodali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 13:42   #10
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post

I am from a small town called Hosur, Home to TVS (and some other well known names). In the last year I have seen at least 2 Kona's (own use) and 5 e-Verito and 2 TATA Tigor EV (verito and Tigor are owned by a local cab company). I was surprised to see a MG ZS EV last week. Oh and not to forget, a couple of TATA Nexon EVs too. This is from a town sized 10 km by 10 km maximum. I cannot believe e-Cars are catching up at this rate...!

I don't wish to veer off-topic too far, but Hosur is one highly underrated city/town. It may be small but it punches in a class far above what its size would suggest!

Even in automobile & ancillaries manufacturing, it ranks second (after Chennai & outskirts) in Tamil Nadu. Hosur hosts biggies like TVS, Ashok Leyland, Kamaz, two-wheeled EV pioneer Ather (in progress), Citroën-HM JV Avtec and Caterpillar, among others. Not to forget industries in other sectors led by the biggie Titan. Despite being located in a different State, Hosur also acts as a satellite city to Bengaluru.

Given its strong industrial base (especially in automobiles) and close relationship with Bengaluru, I'm not surprised to see you spot so many EVs plying in Hosur.

Last edited by RSR : 3rd December 2020 at 13:56.
RSR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 12:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

Great news. Hyundai + Kia is very serious about EVs. Their Kona & Ioniq were good experiments with reasonable success but this platform will allow them to take the fight to VW & Toyota.

Skateboard platforms allow manufacturers to quickly adapt for multiple sizes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
(1) fire risk: the batteries are right under the passenger compartment. These Lithium batteries when they catch fire go whoosh in a flash and burn with a certain ferocity.
On it's own, fire risk is not high. EVs make the headlines when they catch fire, but I'm sure there are more IC engine cars burning down everyday.
Quote:
(2) ground hits & wading through water: hitting over sized speed breakers and ploughing the car through 6 to 9 inches of water. These are frequent occurrences each year in India. Would like to see in real life how the batteries get affected by both.
Batteries & cooling systems are sealed in Teslas. And Teslas perform very well in the snow.

I do agree that there has to be India specific protection for our speed breakers & potholes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Its not Teslas that will bring EV into mass market, but companies like VW and Hyundai group..
More than VW & Hyundai, the Chinese are investing heavily in EV R & D. They also have a sizeable Lithium supply. The Chinese never made great IC engines, but I'm sure they'll dominate EVs with great expertise in electronic manufacturing.
Old 7th December 2020, 15:49   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
More than VW & Hyundai, the Chinese are investing heavily in EV R & D. They also have a sizeable Lithium supply. The Chinese never made great IC engines, but I'm sure they'll dominate EVs with great expertise in electronic manufacturing.
100% agree with you there. I've been following the FullyChargedShow on YouTube for a while and they've recently started reviewing some Chinese cars. The electric car market there is growing fast and companies like Nio with their interchangeable batteries are making some huge strides in the EV game.

Right now it looks like legacy automakers like Hyundai have a long way to go compared to these newcomers but they will probably catch up pretty quickly.

but highly recommend checking out the fullychargedshow YouTube channel if you haven't already. They've got some really good EV content!
aaaajwedk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 15:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai teases first image of IONIQ 5

First Hyundai vehicle with a “clamshell” bonnet, spanning the full width of the vehicle. It will be the first Hyundai to ride on E-GMP.

The Car will debut on a virtual world premiere event in February 2021

Quote:
The Ioniq 5 is likely to come with all-wheel drive with an output of of 309 hp. It can reportedly zip from zero to 100 kmph in a little over 5 seconds. The details of the battery pack is still undisclosed. However, according to reports, the Ioniq 5 will be able to cover 450 kms on single charge.
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...-5-ev-teasers/
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Motor Group reveals dedicated EV platform E-GMP-e1.jpg  

Hyundai Motor Group reveals dedicated EV platform E-GMP-e2.jpg  

Hyundai Motor Group reveals dedicated EV platform E-GMP-e3.jpg  

Last edited by RM Motorsports : 13th January 2021 at 15:23.
RM Motorsports is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed