Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2020, 00:40   #16
BHPian

Re: Sun Mobility to create 100 EV battery Swap Points in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOUNTAINMAN View Post
<SNIP>

I wonder how practical it would be for cars to have a replicable battery given its size and weight.
I don't think battery swapping in cars is going to go anywhere. Battery swapping was discussed when the Nissan LEAF came out ten years ago. At the time batteries were expensive and I think had a small 24kWh, which possibly could have been swapped out if they had designed it so.

EVs today have much larger battery packs. Most are integrated into the body and have active liquid cooling so I don't think manufacturers are going to add another level of complexity by making them swappable.

I think the way forward will be larger battery packs and faster DC fast charging (400 - 1000v). CCS charging can already achieve upto 100kms range in 20 minutes and Tesla superchargers are faster. The only barrier here right now if the cost of setting up DC fast charging stations.
Ford_Prefect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 21:58   #17
BHPian

I think such infrastructure only holds relevance for e-rickshaws and two wheelers, it would be practically non-viable for four wheelers where the battery pack is much larger and is a structural component of the vehicle.

I remember some two years back in one of the popular tourist destination in Philippines i came across such setup, the e-rickshaw we hired from the port quickly pulled into a battery swapping point and swapped the battery cause our resort was based on a hill with steep gradient and his battery was low on charge. I kind of liked the idea then but there are complexities to it as well such as battery brand,health,subscription charge etc.
Old 29th July 2021, 11:58   #18
BHPian

Yesterday I could see a swappable battery station in an Indian Oil petrol pump near the DLF phase 2 rapid metro station in Gurgaon. Attaching the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Sun Mobility to create 100 EV battery Swap Points in Bangalore-screenshot_20210729112954.png  

Old 29th July 2021, 19:27   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Yesterday I could see a swappable battery station in an Indian Oil petrol pump near the DLF phase 2 rapid metro station in Gurgaon. Attaching the photo.
Interesting, which vehicle's batteries are they swapping? Is there a standard battery size like AA and AAA?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks