Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2021, 18:09   #181
BHPian

Re: Tesla Model 3 coming to India in 2021!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Tesla Model 3 India review

Attachment 2219358
While I am happy to have more EVs in India, how are these charging figures practical? The car owner needs to have significant upfront investment in electrical setup that allows for reasonable charging times.
Old 17th October 2021, 21:31   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaak View Post
While I am happy to have more EVs in India, how are these charging figures practical? The car owner needs to have significant upfront investment in electrical setup that allows for reasonable charging times.
Home chargers will always be between 7kw and around 25kW for an overnight charge/top up. A home wallbox charger comes at around ₹65-70k, assuming Tesla doesn't provide one unlike other manufacturers in India. I paid ₹12k for wiring from meter-box to car's parking spot (some 50 feet away) and the charger came along with the car. Waking up to a fully charged car every morning is bliss.

People don't understand how much time and human energy is saved by just never needing to go to petrol pump for city usage, which is around 90% of the in my case.

Here's how much a Tesla wallbox costs in the US. Pretty good for a one time investment which one would use throughout ownership of current and even new car.

Tesla Model 3 coming to India in 2021!-090277e3955b4b068b23acae103326ad.jpeg
ADI7YAK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 10:28   #183
Senior - BHPian

Tesla model 3 spotted in Pune.
Attached Thumbnails
Tesla Model 3 coming to India in 2021!-t1.jpg  

Tesla Model 3 coming to India in 2021!-t2.jpg  

Tesla Model 3 coming to India in 2021!-t3.jpg  

Tesla Model 3 coming to India in 2021!-t4.jpg  

RM Motorsports is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 14:56   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Tesla model 3 spotted in Pune.
That looks like a Tesla model Y. Here is an overlay of model 3 (sedan) and model Y (crossover).

Tesla Model 3 coming to India in 2021!-download.jpeg

Last edited by carthick1000 : 25th November 2021 at 14:58.
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 18:11   #185
BHPian

Tesla's supercharger has been spotted in India! Seems to be 150kW V2 version.

Tesla Model 3 coming to India in 2021!-1b8a5fbbed174e3880ca80672baf3df7.jpeg

Source
ADI7YAK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 18:59   #186
BHPian

So what is the bottom line? When would Tesla launch its EV in India? Approximate price line?
Old 30th November 2021, 12:18   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
So what is the bottom line? When would Tesla launch its EV in India? Approximate price line?
Probably late 2022, due to the current uncertainty surrounding the Omicron Variant of COVID-19 around the world.

As for the price, I would expect it to be slightly on the expensive side (north of 40 Lakh OTR), given how EV's are priced in India.

Might be wrong though!
karthi.stark is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 19:31   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthi.stark View Post
Probably late 2022, due to the current uncertainty surrounding the Omicron Variant of COVID-19 around the world.

As for the price, I would expect it to be slightly on the expensive side (north of 40 Lakh OTR), given how EV's are priced in India.

Might be wrong though!
Way more than that. At least 60 lakhs.
Lobogris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 20:53   #189
Senior - BHPian

I think that something around 40L OTR is not impossible, for the Model 3 standard range RWD version.

For eg: Comparing Finland prices, the 39-kWh Kona costs equivalent of about 25L here (excluding VAT). It costs about the same in India ex-showroom, even slightly less. We have also had other decently priced CBUs, like the T-Roc.

Then we have the Jaguar i-Pace EV400 S which costs the equivalent of about 57L here (excluding VAT) and costs double that in India.

We also have the Audi etron-GT that costs the equivalent of about 63L here (excluding VAT) and costs about 3 times as much in India

The Tesla Model 3 RWD version costs the equivalent of about 34L here (excluding VAT, but including any import taxes to EU). The question is whether Tesla wants to go the Kona way or etron-GT way.
StarrySky is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 21:09   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Way more than that. At least 60 lakhs.
I think so too. 60 Lakhs will be the sweet spot. Tesla has an early bird advantage and have consumers eating out of their hands.

When someone out here is in US market is looking to buy an EV, 9/10 folks will automatically choose a Tesla. That's how much they have a stronghold over the market. None of their competitors are able to break into this stronghold (at least, yet)

I have driven the older Tesla Model 3 a few times but, I recently (August 2021) got an opportunity to drive a brand new 3 (Long Range) bought by a friend. There has been significant improvements over the last model

Well, just summing up a few points that I recall from my 30+ miles drive (We went to pick up an awesome lunch and I drove all the way)

a) Panel gaps which was biggest complaint is way improved now.
b) Engine pulls lot stronger. This was a long range model and acceleration was impressive. I can only imagine how the dual motor would perform.
c) Apparently, the regen braking has much improved results over the previous Model 3
d) Interiors have been changed (I think the infotainment used to be vertical and now it's landscape mode)

It's a lot of fun to drive a Tesla. The acceleration is something we should experience. It's instantaneous and feels unreal.

Having driven the Model X, 3 and Y. If I am in the market, I would buy the Y eyes closed but, the performance model.

Some pics from August 2021

Tesla Model 3 coming to India in 2021!-img_5466.jpg

Tesla Model 3 coming to India in 2021!-img_5459.jpg

Tesla Model 3 coming to India in 2021!-img_5460.jpg

Tesla Model 3 coming to India in 2021!-img_5461.jpg

That's a BMW M40i in front

Tesla Model 3 coming to India in 2021!-img_5462.jpg

Last edited by mobike008 : 30th November 2021 at 21:13.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 02:09   #191
BHPian

Some corrections:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
b) Engine pulls lot stronger. This was a long range model and acceleration was impressive. I can only imagine how the dual motor would perform.
I think the one you drove is a Standard range with RWD (Single motor) and not the long range. At the moment, Tesla model 3 comes in 3 variants:

model 3 (Single motor RWD);
model 3 Long range (Dual motor AWD) &
model 3 performance (Dual motor AWD with some performance enhancements).

You can see the rear variant badging is missing in your friend's vehicle denoting a standard range. A Long range model will have a Dual motor badge and the performance model will have a Dual motor badge underlined in red.

Tesla Model 3 coming to India in 2021!-screenshot-20211130-210306.png

I am not sure which older model 3 you drove as newer Standard range model 3 is slower than the older ones. Mine is from 2019 and with it's software update last year it is now doing 0-100kmph in 5.3seconds (During delivery in 2019, 0-100 in 5.6s). The 2021 model 3 you drove should be even less at 5.7~5.8s (due to new LFP batteries that they use, Tesla reduced the power and tuned it for range I guess). I hope you have tried both in standard mode, as there is a chill mode which reduces the acceleration a bit and there is obvious difference. Of course, as you mentioned the dual motor versions indeed are even more powerful (LR 0-100kmph 4.4s & P 0-100kmph 3.3s)

Quote:
c) Apparently, the regen braking has much improved results over the previous Model 3
Also not sure if you had both vehicles in the same regen setting, as it can be adjusted in 3 levels.

Tesla Model 3 coming to India in 2021!-img_4451-1.jpg

Quote:
d) Interiors have been changed (I think the infotainment used to be vertical and now it's landscape mode)
The model 3 infotainment has always been in landscape mode. Only Model S's infotainment screen used to be in Vertical/portrait orientation and now-a-days changed to Landscape. However the center console has changed in the recent model 3 which has a matt finish and a slide opening mechanism with wireless charging pads under the screen. My 2019 model has a piano black finish and no wireless charging possibilities.

Old:
Tesla Model 3 coming to India in 2021!-bjvlducv1hvyzutovxwlsdpxiuqllgecty0enjj0ew.jpg

New:
Tesla Model 3 coming to India in 2021!-teslamodel32021newinterior.jpeg

Last edited by carthick1000 : 1st December 2021 at 02:18.
carthick1000 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 06:30   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the corrections and for sharing your views. Since you own one, I guess you know it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
Some corrections:

I think the one you drove is a Standard range with RWD (Single motor) and not the long range. At the moment, Tesla model 3 comes in 3 variants:

model 3 (Single motor RWD);
model 3 Long range (Dual motor AWD) &
model 3 performance (Dual motor AWD with some performance enhancements).

You can see the rear variant badging is missing in your friend's vehicle denoting a standard range. A Long range model will have a Dual motor badge and the performance model will have a Dual motor badge underlined in red.

I am not sure which older model 3 you drove as newer Standard range model 3 is slower than the older ones. Mine is from 2019 and with it's software update last year it is now doing 0-100kmph in 5.3seconds (During delivery in 2019, 0-100 in 5.6s). The 2021 model 3 you drove should be even less at 5.7~5.8s (due to new LFP batteries that they use, Tesla reduced the power and tuned it for range I guess). I hope you have tried both in standard mode, as there is a chill mode which reduces the acceleration a bit and there is obvious difference. Of course, as you mentioned the dual motor versions indeed are even more powerful (LR 0-100kmph 4.4s & P 0-100kmph 3.3s)

The model 3 infotainment has always been in landscape mode. Only Model S's infotainment screen used to be in Vertical/portrait orientation and now-a-days changed to Landscape. However the center console has changed in the recent model 3 which has a matt finish and a slide opening mechanism with wireless charging pads under the screen. My 2019 model has a piano black finish and no wireless charging possibilities.
I have driven the Model X and 3 both 2018 models extensively back in 2018. So I don't recall what settings they were set in as my impressions are just from driving them for a few miles (Both combined must have driven 200-300 miles at the max).

Drove another friend's Model 3 in 2020 but, somehow latest 2021 model felt little more refined from the ones that I drove in the past. Also, I didn't fiddle with any settings so I assume it was all standard settings.

Thanks for correction on the infotainment, For some reason I thought it was portrait mode in 3 before and not changed to landscape.

Also, it's news to me there are 3 variants. I always thought it's 2 variants (Long Range and Performance). Performance is always with a dual motor and I never cared to find out if batter was single or dual for long range (Just assumed it's single) as it never piqued my interest.

I have a Tesla in my radar as my next car and would love to get the Model Y performance. Well, have to wait until mid-2022 to make it happen.
Old 1st December 2021, 16:08   #193
BHPian

Quote:
T
Drove another friend's Model 3 in 2020 but, somehow latest 2021 model felt little more refined from the ones that I drove in the past.
Possible as they have addressed the quality issues and improved their production processes in the last couple of years. Also 2021 Model 3 comes with double walled front windows (single walled in my 2019 one), which might also reduce wind and tyre/road noise.

Quote:
Also, it's news to me there are 3 variants. I always thought it's 2 variants (Long Range and Performance).
If you have not followed model 3, then highly likely this goes off radar. With model S, X & Y, as you thought, it is only 2 variants.

Quote:
I have a Tesla in my radar as my next car and would love to get the Model Y performance. Well, have to wait until mid-2022 to make it happen.
I think you will have a completely wonderful experience with a model Y, or for the fact any current gen. Tesla. Every 3-4 weeks , on average, you get software updates which make the car feature rich and slowly you see evolution of the powertrain wrt range, cold weather optimizations, efficiency and of course sometimes performance upgraded. I can't say it for any of my past cars. Until yesterday, I got like 36 updates and this link has a history of updates in the past years.

Last edited by carthick1000 : 1st December 2021 at 16:10.
carthick1000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 02:01   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Possible as they have addressed the quality issues and improved their production processes in the last couple of years. Also 2021 Model 3 comes with double walled front windows (single walled in my 2019 one), which might also reduce wind and tyre/road noise.
Nice. Good to know. That is a significant update.

Quote:
If you have not followed model 3, then highly likely this goes off radar. With model S, X & Y, as you thought, it is only 2 variants.
Oh Gosh! Now I know as I have always went to the Tesla App to configure and it was X before and then realized I cannot afford an X and started configuring Y. Never opened the 3 variant. Now you know why I never knew about the 3's 3 variants.

Quote:
I think you will have a completely wonderful experience with a model Y, or for the fact any current gen. Tesla. Every 3-4 weeks , on average, you get software updates which make the car feature rich and slowly you see evolution of the powertrain wrt range, cold weather optimizations, efficiency and of course sometimes performance upgraded. I can't say it for any of my past cars. Until yesterday, I got like 36 updates and this link has a history of updates in the past years.
Yup, I drove the Y performance and it was ballistic. I can't even imagine how the Plaid S would drive. Must be totally scary.

S/W updates every 3-4 weeks. That's more than Apple releases including the alpha/beta ones

Jokes aside, It's a wonderful car and if they take care of these small niggles as well as the bigger ones (panel gaps) and give more interior color options and better wheel designs, it would be nice.
Old 2nd December 2021, 05:47   #195
BHPian

I'm not too sure if Tesla has fixed its build quality issues. My friend who bought a Model 3 SR in October still has panel fit issues. For example, the frunk needs to be slammed hard to engage!

We are now approaching into the 7th year of our Model S. It has required no maintenance, but it has gone through two displays and starting having the dreaded EEMC memory issue. We finally just replaced the computer with a Gen2. We are also finally seeing some battery degradation issues. It has done around 75K miles. I dont want to get rid of it as we purchased it during when supercharging was free and unlimited.
goacom is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks